• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cool, a return to America! What actually happens if you become independant? Does your name change to simply 'Canada'? How do the other colonies react? I hope you can ally with Brittany to help them beat up Florida or something and make them grow stronger.
Dat Russia though! So they're now colonising Africa from the East. They certainly want to spread to all the continents. Now it's probably simply a matter of time before they land in Alaska as well.

This AAR is great. I really ought to get EUIV.

Cool, a return to America! What actually happens if you become independant? Does your name change to simply 'Canada'? How do the other colonies react?

I think you can form Canada if your capital's in the region.

(Have I posted here yet? Maybe. Well, back to the lurky depths I go.)

So the sonnet didn't go over that well... hmm, how about a haiku?

O great Canada,
You are ruled by the Spanish,
But soon you'll be free.

Better? :)

Svip: Damn straight.

Athalcor: I really don't know. I doubt it though. Each colonial region (Florida for example) has a different name list based on who colonized it. The 'Florida' region for example could be 'The 13 colonies' if the British colonized there. Apparently 'English Colombia' is one name for that region.

It could also be primary culture. For example, 'Catalan Canada' is primarily Catalan because Aragon formed Spain rather than Castille. Spain definitely formed before they colonized however.

Mikkel Glahder: Yes, except whereas the French Canadians are less numerous outside of Quebec, the Catalans are everywhere.

Director: Nor am I! Now we just need Spain to break up so I can go to CATalonia. Or perhaps Nepal and visit KAThmandu.

Lord English: Yeah, we're going to be looking for things to do.

DennisRoos: It...doesn't look like my name automatically changes if I go independent. I do have three decisions to change my name to Canada, Quebec or Louisiana.

oss spy: You should! It's a lot of fun once you get used to the controls.

generalolaf: Correct!

Stuyvesant: Spain doesn't need my help keeping busy ... when what they really need is about 10 years to recover and think things through.

LatinKaiser: Actually I liked your sonnet! Your haiku is fun as well.

Spockyt: Maybe we should have a Catalan haiku contest.

Homusubi: I have three available decisions:
Canada - Need to own x provinces, capital in right region. Check. All I need now is to be independent.
Quebec - No mention of capital in right region, though I think I need to own specific provinces. I do, so again I just need to be independent.
Louisiana - Need to own x provinces, capital in right region. My capital is in the wrong region, so I couldn't take it unless I wanted to move my capital ... and there's no need.

Lord English: Capital location and provinces owned it looks like.

CHAPTER XXIII: CATALAN CANADA
Part 1: Politically Incorrect
(1765-1770)

Catalans Catacan't

I have bad news. We're probably not starting any revolutions. Let's look at why:

176501CanadaSetup_zpsc9014295.jpg

Our liberty desire is 33.5%. Not bad, but not good enough. It needs to be at least 50 before we can even dream of rolling the dice. Indeed, looking at all the colonies out there only one is in remote danger.

Code:
Colony (Overlord) - Liberty
Caraibas (POR)    - 57.25%
Por. Brazil (POR) - 45.75%
Por. Mexico (POR) - 41.00%
California (POR)  - 12.75%
-------------------------------
D. Colombia (NET) - 42.00%
D.W. Indies (NET) - 37.25%
D. LaPlata (NET)  - 28.75%
D. Peru (NET)     - 12.50%
New Holland (NET) -  9.00%
R. Australia(RUS) - 25.75%
Florida (SPA)     - 45.25%
Cat. Canada (SPA) - 33.50%
Cat. Louis. (SPA) -  4.25%
E. Colombia (GBR) - 34.00%
Argentine (GBR)   - 33.00%
Vinland (NWY)     - 35.00%
Nwg. Brazil (NWY) - 16.00%

Our Viceroy isn't much to look at. We're at war with the Ottomans and Morocco, something we will do absolutely nothing about, and of course Spain's our overlord. We have a CB on the Iroquois as pagan heathens.

Let's start by sending diplomats to improve relations with Brittany and Netherlands. If and when we do get a shot at independence, we're going to need friends. We also move a merchant to collect from the Gulf of St. Lawrence, while other agents funnel trade there from Chesapeake and the Mississippi River.

We have a very odd colonization problem.

176501Inhospitable_zpse93a8a3d.jpg

Those provinces labeled 'can't colonize' are in what we'd consider Manitoba, Minnesota, Thunder Bay, and southern Quebec into western Maine. I am told they are too inhospitable to support a colony. They aren't wasteland, they are just greyed out. As the turn begins we have no true colonies, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't be available.

It puts a hard stop on our western expansion however, which means we get to turn east. Greenland IS available, and in fact we take a mission to colonize Vestbygden.

Further, since we're not going to war with Spain any time soon, and as mentioned I could care less about the Ottomans and Morocco, we might as well give our soldiers something to do.

First and Last Nations

Meet today's opponents, the Iroquois Confederation.

176501StompIroquois_zps9ac1fb7c.jpg

They are not a protectorate. They ARE pagan, and they are also Military Tech 9 versus our 27. They have 15K soldiers, and after reducing to our force limit we have 16K.

Yeah, it's going to be one of THOSE wars.

After looking for a decent leader we settle on Viceroy Colon himself (F2 S1 M2 Sg1). We then spend several months chasing their army down. We catch them in Seneca, destroying their army at the cost of 100 of our boys in May.

You would think it's all over at that point, and truth be told it is, but we don't have enough men to siege their entire country. This is going to take time, especially since they have reserve manpower and the gold to pay for a fresh army.

In October 1765 Ottawa and Niagara fall, and four more provinces follow by February. The Iroquois meanwhile build fresh armies of 10K and 1K and begin countersieges in Algonquin and Hochelaga.

By August 1766 we're ready: They've reinforced Algonquin up to 12K, but our army in Ontario numbers 8K. We march north killing 6800 at the cost of 500, while reinforcements from Mohawk deal with the interlopers in Hochelaga.

176208Algonquin_zps69842c81.jpg

In November we learn we have hardy seamen. Perhaps that's why we're winning so easily. We also learn of trouble in our Greenland colonies, which we don't care about since they aren't full cities.

176212Iroquois_zpsbd855f90.jpg

It's over.

Indian Relations

First thing's first: We have to put our house in order. With recovering soldiers and paying for two colonies, our budget's in the red. We have two loans out from before our tenure and I'd rather not make it worse.

Still, we have to get the Iroquois situation under control. We begin coring seven provinces and send missionaries to the last two, while a number of them get a taste of 'harsh treatment.'

Uhoh. The missionaries cost money... I don't dare lower maintenance on our army with the chance of rebellion running high, and I don't want to undermaintain our navy and so lose trade. Instead I watch nervously as our cash reserves dip lower and lower.

While I'm distracted there's a new HRE, and he's not from the Palatinate! Saxony's back on the throne. As I recall they're a 2PM who's unlikely to be able to establish order.

Meanwhile, the Ottomans force Spain to the table. Hungary loses Kosovo, while Spain loses three Lithuanian provinces and 175 gold. I'm sure they're regretting joining the Spanish crown now.

21 gold..20 gold...19 gold... Yeah, in about a year this is going to hurt. Wait. What's this?

176707Gift_zps3631c810.jpg

Uhm...thanks boss! Viva Espana! er.... Catalunya!

In September 1767 our missionaries finish up, so we begin coring the last two provinces. Our budget goes positive just as 24K Hurons let us know they'd like their independence please.

No.

After a surprisingly tough fight we spend the winter recovering. Meanwhile, it looks like English Colombia is having trouble of their own.

176801EnglishColombia_zpsd1e47859.jpg

Being fully occupied will do that to you.

By April 1768 I'm feeling confident enough in our budget to repay the two loans taken before we took over. We're still in the positive, and the news just gets better as Vestbygden begins producing Naval Supplies and Eiriksfjord Fish despite a number of native attacks.

Then, in May....

Do you remember our time in Bavaria, when Mainz went after the 'heretics' of Wurzburg, turned much of the HRE into a Charlie Foxtrot, and got spanked? Well, they want to try again. It's MAINZ, Spain(+), Liege and Thuringia versus WURZBURG, Austria, Palatinate, Augsburg, Brunswick and Utrecht.

Yeah. You guys have fun. I'll be on the other end of the world.

in December 1769 we take Diplomacy-25 (Three Deckers), and it's time to start thinking about our next target. Figure another couple of years to fully core/convert the Iroquois, then perhaps it's time to chat with Vinland. What do you think Johan?

Johan's Dice

Reign: 5 years
Needed: 2+
Roll: 4
Continue?: Yes

Great!

That Iroquois may not have been much of a challenge, but at least they were a distraction. Will Vinland be made of sterner stuff I wonder?

Ah yes, the necessity of naval action to defeat the Iroquois. I see a flotilla of three deckers in the Great Lakes as being vital to the security of prosperity of Catalan Canada. Not to mention that Catalans are hardy folk and those provinces will be colonised, after all the nicer places. Liberty for all! Catalan Canada at any rate. Vinland is properly a part of Canada.

Do I detect a smidgen of regret that the HRE is providing Bavaria with a wonderful opportunity and you're not there to take advantage?

Last edited:
So... You're letting Spain die over and over again in its poorly thought-out wars and Spain responds by... offering you a massive bribe? This sounds like a dysfunctional relationship, but I won't complain seeing you're the one benefiting from it.

Nice job Manifesting your Destiny to the Iroquois (I considered "Manifesting the Iroquois", but I feel it's a bit too dirty-sounding). As Pip suggested, not a fearsome foe, but certainly a nice distraction while you churned through your turn.

Exciting update, the new world setting could have been a change of pace, but its been a lot more action packed than we might have expected. That Spanish gift was well timed, no doubt recognition of your stellar contribution to the Ottoman war ;)

A well timed gift. Gifts are good.;)