• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, skipping the fact that throughout the war I simply accepted that you were randomly fighting nations of continental Europe and so I didn't try to understand who-was-who in the HRE civil war...it was a good turn for Bavaria. At least you did not get annexed.

;)

I must admit that, in the flurry of German princedoms, bishoprics, free cities and what-have-you, I got a little lost in your wars. Overall, my impression was that things were not going your way, at all, but in the end you managed to claw some concessions from your foes. I'm still confused, but it appears to have been a win for you, in the end. So I'll say good job, even while I'm not entirely sure what good job you did, exactly. :)

EU HRE wars are amazing

ssuperflash1: Unlikely, but thanks!

Andre Massena: Yeah, the emperor should really do something about those.

Blackfish: Indeed!

Chief Ragusa: Or Spain on my side! Oh wait, that'd be bad.

Athalcor: True, I didn't get annexed!

DennisRoos: Oh no, not really angry. 'Glory to Ulm' is a fun AAR!

Hiryuu: Nobles always complain. It's in the job description.

tnick0225: Oh no, no quick death this time. Slow and agonizing maybe.

Stuyvesant: I did a great job of prosecuting a second war while handily losing the first!

juckil: AND Catalan Louisiana. Spain formed from Aragon in this world.

Andre Massena: It could be worse. Were you around when 'calling in allies' was first implemented? I specifically remember playing as France, starting an early reunification war, and suddenly there was fighting from Sweden to Milan.

CHAPTER XXII: BAVARIA
Part 2: Where Are We Going?
(1755-1760)

Okay, fair warning. This turn is going to be slow. Real slow. 'Lame,' I think was the word a few turns ago. We've had worst turns, but I can count them on one hand. Think I'm kidding? Heh heh. Of course you do. Read on, just remember to bring a pillow and blankie.

Epic Nap

It is January 1755, and we've fully recovered from our spat with Wurzburg on Mainz's behalf as well as cutting Ulm down to size. Our army is larger than it's ever been, war exhaustion is non-extant, and we just need a target. Well, Augsburg should be available in a few years, right?

Wrong. Our truce doesn't expire until 1762 now. Did the default change? Last I checked truces were five years.

Well, that makes them unappetizing. Wurtemberg is still in a PU with Poland, Austria's too big, I have a truce with Wurzburg ... you know, I think we're just going to sit tight and build stuff. We start a Fort-5 in Munchen to match the one in Ansbach, and a Regimental Camp in Nurnberg.

We could also buy Administrative Ideas-1 (Organized Mercenary Payments: -25% cost), but we're not really rich enough to splurge on mercs unless a war is imminent. Still, it's an idea for later. We could also take Innovative Ideas-3 (Scientific Revolution, -5% tech) but we're already ahead of time in all areas.

I take a look at some of the other OPMs that are reasonably close: Switzerland in particular, but it doesn't look very hopeful.

In May Orleans declares war on France. When the dust clears it's AUSTRIA, France, Aachen, Lorraine, Utrecht, Munster, Poland and Wurtemberg vs. ORLEANS, Liege, and Spain+. (The + being her colonies). This should be a good fight, and being closer to home Spain should be able to effectively weigh in. Right?

We get to select a new mission and choose to incorporate Ulm, though we probably won't succeed in that before we leave. Unfortunately there's some backlash:

175507Unmanly_zps435dbb31.jpg

We follow up with a royal marriage in August, then take Administration-27 (Tax Assessor). We don't have the funds to actually buy an assessor yet.

Bohemia rivals us in November, with his rather rude but completely irrelevant since we don't share a border. Then 1756 begins with a travelling minstrel who raises our Stability to +2.

This gives me an idea: If I can get Stability to +3, then I'll eat the stab hit of breaking truce with Augsburg. Soon we'll have enough Admin points to buy that last point of Stab.

Still, it's not that simple. Most of Augsburg's allies don't signify, though Wurzburg would be annoying. I'm worried about Savoy though. They're on the rise again after napping for a century or two, and have 60K under arms to my 20K. Even if I merced up.. I really want Savoy in a nasty war before we act.

Our forebearance pays off in January 1757 as we take Diplomacy-28 (Joint Stock Companies) and start a Ponzi scheme for more money.

In March Wurtemberg asks for MA. Since we aren't going to be fighting them anyway, the answer is yes.

That autumn the Ottomans decide to go after the Ukraine again. Portugal+ and Netherlands+ jump in on their respective sides promising more fun in the Western Hemisphere.

Meanwhile, Orleans and Liege have broken through into Wurtemberg. On the other side, the Austrians smashed the only large Spaniard army to show up so far.

I'm somewhat impressed. In all my EU games, in most of my games period, once a position (player or AI) reaches a dominant position it's pretty much over. I've never seen an empire simply fade before, and that's precisely what Spain is doing. I'm not sure quite why, but I imagine it has to do with having holdings all over the planet making it that much harder to protect any of them.

Their pain isn't over yet, as SAVOY and Palatinate declare war on Spain+, Norway+, Orleans, Mainz and Hungary in April 1758. A few months later NETHERLANDS+, Livonian Order, and Hansa take on NORWAY+, Aachen, Bohemia and Saxony.

The whole world's fighting, and I'm just sitting here! GAH!

I'm watching Savoy's numbers carefully. They started the war at 61K. By May 1759 they'd first fallen to 54K, then recovered to 67K, with 50 rampaging Germany in one stack. They destroy a Spanish army in Mainz, then the Mainz army for good measure. The rest appear to be successfully invading Hungary.

Taking Augsburg means going through Savoy's army. I need at least the stack of 50 to get its comeuppance, and I just don't think Spain's capable of that anymore.

Certainly Brittany doesn't. Recall that Brittany was diploannexed some time in the 1500s, revolted from a colony in Newfoundland, then managed to colonize a solid chunk of North America. Now they want to go home.

175912Brittany_zps41493b73.jpg

It's BRITTANY versus SPAIN+, Hungary, Mainz, Orleans and Norway+ for Loire. I don't think taking Loire back is likely. Kicking the Spanish out of North America though...that they might just figure out how to do.

We can do better than this....

Johan's Dice

Reign: 10 years
Needed: 3+
Roll: 5
Continue?: Yes

And we will.

Around the League

The Ottos wrecked Yemen, reducing them to a few disparate territories in what we'd consider Oman, Southern Egypt and elsewhere.

Mali has finally conquered Kanem Bornu.

Spain, Britain and Japan are colonizing Indonesia.

Austria, Poland and Ukraine have completely occupied Spanish Lithuania.

I'm not sure why the Dutch are fighting the Britain, but they've completely occupied British Argentine as well as other NA colonies. They've also occupied parts of the Portuguese homeland.

I see the question "What if they gave a war and no-one came" remains unanswered. ;)

So, what substantive comment can I make about the last few years? Er... nice job taking down Ulm a further notch? Or how about "Good job not losing a war"?

Oh, I know! Go Brittany! Go East! :)

Yes truces from 100% warscore are now 15 years from 1.7. They scale to the day from 5 to 15 years in 1.7.3. Only 25 prestige from subjugating Ulm? Worth a lot more.

All those wars and not one involving Bavaria. Surprised you didn't get the event about citizens concerned the ruler is not warlike enough. Perhaps Spain fading is due to forming out of Aragon. It's Castille's revenge. Good to see Savoy stomping Spain around, even if you would have to fight them for Augsberg. Try getting Savoy allied and liking Bavaria more than Augsberg 5 more years. Now, where died I put that boiling kettle?

I think the best thing of this session is the invention of Google+ accounts for the colonialist nations so we are no longer bothered by the mining colonies in Kuiper Belt while you are listing the full participants of a war. I foresee this idea could catch on ;).

Generals concerned by unmanly tactics is the worst event in the whole game :(

What about peasant's war? Though I've never had a chance to experience it, I've heard it's game ending.

What about peasant's war? Though I've never had a chance to experience it, I've heard it's game ending.

I got the Peasants' War once (in my Hesse campaign, I think?). It was brutal, but I was rolling in ducats and I could afford lots of mercs. The events that I hate are those stupidly OP Dutch nationalism ones. :mad:

Go Brittanny, I guess.:p

Stuyvesant: Good job not losing a war is a good start!

tnick0225: Brittany has done REALLY well. I checked: They only came back into play in 1644, and didn't start colonizing until 1665.

Chief Ragusa: I've given up on Savoy liking me. For one thing, they resent that I'm allied to Poland (Great Power malus.) It's interesting that truce time scales now.

Athalcor: Google approves of your statement.

Andre Massena: Oh, there are worse events. Far worse.

Dr. Livingstone: For example.

Hiryuu: I'm not big enough to annoy even a weakened Spain. Better stay in the kids pond.

LatinKaiser: Or those events for that matter.

Andre Massena: Annoying I'll give you. There are a couple of events that are just bad enough to annoy you without really hurting you.

blsteen: That was my strategy last turn. This turn I think I'll jump in somewhere.

Gen. Marshall: That's why it's OP!

Nikolai: I'm actually rooting for Brittany. To go from nothing to a fair chunk of North America in 100 years is amazing.

LatinKaiser: Hm, maybe there should be Hessian nationalism events...

tnick0225: Wow. You're right! We'll have to make the next interlude special.

CHAPTER XXII: BAVARIA
Part 3: Death of a Mitrehead
(1760-1765)

Requiem for the Pope

It is 1760 and we have a problem: Nothing to do (that isn't insane.) We've subjugated Ulm, but can't do anything with Augsburg unless we also want to fight Savoy. Savoy's at 67,000 troops to our 19. They're fighting Spain, but they're doing about as well as expected: A 51K Savoyard stack invades the Pyrennes in February.

No other targets really present themselves, but I'm not going to sit through another five years of watching the world pass by. There has to be someone...

Oh, that's right! We promised to liberate Luxembourg from Mitrehead! Let's see.... I already have MA through Wurtemberg. Palatinate is more than happy to give us MA. That puts us on the border.

Hm, we have a problem. Mitrehead is allied with the Palatinate and Lorraine. The latter is neither here nor there, but Palatinate is still HRE. How many troops do they have?

19,000. The Emperor has only 19K soldiers? Then I see why. Orleans and Mainz are wrecking them.

This could work. Even if Palatinate won't help us (they're our allies as well), we just need to give them a good reason to leave Mitrehead to his fate. We send a diplomat in to sabotage the Pope's reputation, which is surprisingly easy to do. They catch our agent just as a noble family requests aid. We deny said aid and send the nobles to live with the Pope.

In May, with the Imperial army down to 9K, we pull the trigger to erase this stain from Europe.

176005Mitrehead_zpsac185a37.jpg

We move our army into Luxembourg after a brief battle. Before they can recover, Ulm invades and besieges Lorraine. In September 12K Milanese defeat the Papal army again, setting the stage for the largest battle of the war. The Lorraine army returned, and with the remnants of the Papal army tried to retake their homeland with 12K men. For awhile things looked tight until the Milanese army brought our numbers up to 21K. They retreated in disarray and never posed a serious threat again.

Notice we only fought in the first battle. Our allies actually pulled their weight.

For the next year we study the Milaense victory and 'Improve our Land Tech' cautiously for +10 military power. We also take Administration-28 (Rotherman Plough) so Mitrehead has something to do once we depose him. For over a year Luxembourg flatly refuses to fall. Lorraine's not so lucky and peaces out in March 1762.

They have nothing we want short of annexation, which is not on the agenda, so let them go for money and trade power. The real prize is Luxembourg which finally falls in July.

176207Mitrehead2_zpsd5879fbd.jpg

Glory to Bavaria

Plan A was to immediately release Luxembourg as a friendly vassal. Unfortunately I didn't have the option to do that. Well, let's try to keep it and see how we do. (Hint: Not well.)

Mitrehead...didn't reappear. I guess the Papal States don't regenerate after a certain point in time. If nothing else happens all game, then know we have delivered this world from that apostate of hat fashion!

We build up our army to 22K, and in June 1763 begin the process of incorporating Ulm. One last longing look at Augsburg: It seems the Revolution has spread there and they're under siege, then time to settle in for the long haul.

Except...rebels don't want to settle in. Two massive revolts spring up and we spend the Spring of 1764 putting them down.

176404Revolt_zpsec68f516.jpg

But it's too late for Ulm.

176403Ulm_zpsb5bbe6f5.jpg

With Ulm not uber allesing anyone anymore, we send a missionary to cure them of their Protestant heresy. It's now August 1764. We've had a good run this time. I can't core Luxembourg, which will be a problem. Perhaps in December we'll sell...

Oooh, rebel leaders are threatening a major revolt in Luxembourg. Hold that thought guys!

Okay, let's sell Luxembourg now. Two countries are interested: Liege and Burgundy. And no, Burgundy, we are not at all bitter that you annexed us awhile back. That was centuries ago! Here. 60 gold? Thanks! It's all yours.

Rebel leaders? We don't negotiate with terrorists. Yeah, yeah, do your worst.

176408Revolt_zps2186a719.jpg

That should keep Burgundy busy for awhile.

It is now 1765. I think we're out of targets, Johan. Let's go elsewhere.

Johan's Dice

Reign: 15 years
Needed: 4+
Roll: 3
Continue?: No

Sweet.