• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Too bad you couldn't continue to spread the revolution. But as always, a good read.:) I've slacked on my commenting duties lately. Still onboard though!

Bavaria...

Well you asked for interesting...though I'm guessing you didn't mean this kind of interesting...

Johann sure is having a thing for throwing you into Germany though.

What's your policy on suiciding (say, declaring on any of your neighbours)? It doesn't seem like you're going to be able to do much with Bavaria, being literally the weakest small fish in the vicinity.

What's your policy on suiciding (say, declaring on any of your neighbours)? It doesn't seem like you're going to be able to do much with Bavaria, being literally the weakest small fish in the vicinity.

CatKnight never suicides, he just accidentally gets himself killed trying to tske over the world! :D

ssuperflash1: I'll try not to!

Chief Ragusa: Hungary should be in pretty good shape. I think I'd have trouble taking on the Palatinate right now. Which doesn't mean if the right opportunity came along...

Homusubi: THAT surprised me. I can't see the Japanese taking a permanent Russian enclave on their soil kindly.

DennisRoos: Now that you mention it, the ruler of Augsburg IS a Hunyadi.. Hm.. Being the emperor could be fun. Unlikely, but fun.

Avindian: Hey there! Actually no. If you look at 'France' you can see some darker blue provinces. France is split into two or three parts and is definitely not even a regional power, but still alive.

GreatUberGeek: The bear has gone mad. They have (known) provinces in Sierra Leone, Madagascar, India, Phillipines, New Zealand, and of course Japan as well as a good chunk of China.

LatinKaiser: Scotland's been out of the game for a few centuries. Not sure what you mean. Brittany is...yeah, stronk.

McGrey: I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing Netherlands actually scored a victory against all the Portuguese colonies and it was enough to tip the warscore.

Director: It's not too late. I might still end up with Brittany!

Andre Massena: I've considered it. A part of me would like to, but I'm not nearly as good at Vicky as I am at EU. (And we've seen here that I don't always do that well in EU!)

Stuyvesant: True! Beer, sauerkraut and fast cars!

Madbadger: I know. Ulm is scary.

ssuperflash1: So is Mainz. Mainz has been that way since I think the 1500s. They won some early victories and have held on.

juckil: Thanks!

Nikolai: Perhaps the revolution will spread to Bavaria. Or beyond! A revolutionary Ottoman Empire would be terrifying in this world.

tnick0225: I was thinking about that. Early in the game I couldn't get INTO Europe, now I keep having trouble getting OUT.

v1989: I think Poland would have trouble with the Ottos.

Hiryuu: You could be right...

Blackfish: I try not to. I can honestly say I haven't suicided yet this game. (Though I was damned close with Lan Xang.) Now, with I think Bengal I avoided an exploit that would have let me keep them alive ... so I might play suboptimally. Then again, I'm not the best player anyway :)

LatinKaiser: There IS that!

CHAPTER XXII: BAVARIA
Part 1: Knife Fight!
(1750-1755)

Beer and Sauerkraut!

Welcome to Bavaria! Nestled in southern Germany, they've had their share of ups and downs over the centuries. More downs I'm thinking, since we're a TPM and our provinces don't even connect.

I have a better mouse now, and that means a better map!
175001Bavaria_zpsd0380444.jpg

Yeah, the HRE is a bit of a mess.

Our political situation is a little clearer:

175001Setup_zps16c1aad3.jpg

Our ruler is excellent! And young! Which is good, because our heir is...special.

A read of our modifiers includes a -10% malus for national tax due to leaning heavily on our aristocracy. C'mon: We're two provinces and our ruler is a 4/6/5. Why are we leaning on ANYONE? We'll have to fix that.

Our diplomacy is pretty straight forward: We're allied with Poland, Magdeburg, the Emperor and Milan. We don't like Ulm and Augsburg. This fits in perfectly with my plans: I intend to try and take out Augsburg because they're an OPM right next door. I also plan to do something about Ulm because I'm jealous of Svip's AAR.

We have a 16K army that's among the most advanced in the world: Once we hit Military-28 in February 1752, we'll be 21 years ahead of time. No navy of course. We are loyal Catholics who pay respect to Mitrehead. Where did he wind up anyway? Ah, he's in Luxembourg.

Wait...Luxembourg? As in the country I lost to Burgundy? I'm sorry Luxembourgers! I didn't know!

Luxembourgers? Luxemburgers? Luxembourgeois? No, wait. Mitreheadites! Where was I? Catholic. Right!

Our merchants aren't badly placed, but not well either. They were transferring trade from Ragusa and Wien. Instead, let's actually collect from Wien as well as Frankfurt. The latter is moderately prosperous, and it's where our northern province trades through.

Our diplomats are...wow. Aggessive. We have one improving relations with Austria, which is fine. We're forging a claim on Wurtemberg, the country that has us split in two. I suppose that's alright. We're also sowing discontent in Ansbach (Ulm) and Augsburg. Let's leave the first two alone, but instead of sowing discontent we'll forge a claim on Augsburg. (We already claim Ansbach)

Looking at our neighbors: Wurtemburg is in a PU with Poland. OK, so I guess we're not fighting them any time soon. Wurzburg's alliances don't mean much, but they might be a bit to handle right now. Augsburg's alliance includes Wurzburg and Savoy. Hm... maybe. Ulm is still allied with Spain as well as Bohemia. Frustrating.

It seems I can't DoW either of them anyway: I'm allied with the Emperor, and apparently I can't start wars if the emperor is just recovering from one. Hm. Oh wait, someone's knocking on the door.

Yes?

175001ChurchFunctions_zps40aa9047.jpg

No thanks. In fact, not only are we not giving more power to the nobles, we're switching to an Absolute Monarchy! Thank you and have a nice day.

Some people.

We pay to get our stability back to 1, and lower our inflation back to 0.

In February 1750, diplomats provide us with documentation claiming Niederbayern in Wurtemberg. As long as they're allied with Poland that's not happening. In fact, it's better to ensure we can move troops between the provinces as needed so we ask for and get military access.

We'll need help if we're going to do anything about Ulm. Heck, we'll need help with Augsburg if Savoy gets involved. Mainz is willing to ally with us! Sure, buddies! Welcome....

175002MainzWar_zps03650954.jpg

...aboard?

Power Politics

So Mainz would like to know if we'd care to help against Wurzburg. At first glance that's a definite 'No!' However, as you can see Mainz has a decent alliance including Spain. Plus, Augsburg's involved which gives me a chance to take them out. Granted that would be Mainz's decision, but my claim on Augsburg should be done before the war's over. They might see things my way.

So this should be easy, right? I can already see a few Spanish units here and there, so they're at least heading in the right direction! We combine armies and send all 16K to sit on Augsburg in March. Then we wait.

Spies decide to defect in July. We can either let them go (-50% Spy Offense) or sweeten the pot. Our budget is positive, and though Austria's moving some scary stacks around and through Bayern they're all headed north towards Mainz. We give them a bonus so as not to lose any time forging our claim.

Spain is acting oddly. Early in the war they had some decent sized stacks in Austrian Italy, but anything coming north towards Germany numbers 7-10K, and the Austrian doom stacks swarm them. In September 38K land in Munich, our southern province. Fortunately they move on.

They're back, reinforced to 56K in March. 3K Spaniards had been 'garrisoning' Munich and of course they fell within a second.

In May the Augsburg army showed up to break our siege. They had help from Austria and shoved us back with heavy casualties. We fled to Nurnberg.

175106SitRep_zps3b060df6.jpg

Notice the hostile armies starting to cover Mainz in the northwest.

Well, there wasn't much we could do from Nurnberg. Rather than wait for the inevitable, I thought to play harasser. Little 1K and 2K units would traverse Wurzburg (north of Nurnberg) to get to Mainz. We intercepted one in November slaying it easily.

The Austrians retaliated with 33K in December, throwing us out of Nurnberg entirely. We fled into Wurtemberg.

One for Ferrara!

So it's January 1752, our homeland is occupied, we're clearly losing this war (Wurzburg will let me bow out if I give Munchen to Augsburg), and only the king of fools would start a new war under these circumstances. Right?

175201Ulm_zps70626d2f.jpg

Let's look at their ally list though: We're already fighting Austria. Spain is already on our side. Bohemia is busy fighting Hungary. It turns out several of my allies would love to pound Ulm. We roll the dice: Our allies show up. Ulm fights alone.

Except: DoWing black flagged our army in Wurtemberg, and with both our provinces occupied we have no way to undo it! Fortunately Palatinate finds an army while the Poles get some sort of thrill out of invading Germany for once. In March Wurtemberg and Palatinate catch the Ulm army and destroy it.

Meanwhile, our nobles are demanding renewed privileges. Our country is occupied and our army impotent. What privileges are you talking about?

Still, even as the Austrians occupy Munchen, they abandon the siege on Nurmberg. Our army sprints there to 'unflag', and back to Ansbach by April. The allies move out of the way leaving the siege to me, and Ansbach falls in October 1752. We immediately move on to Ulm.

Meanwhile, the Mainz war is going terribly. Wurzburg frees enough troops to do something about us and invades through Ansbach. In November we begin fighting 9K: This is a fight we can win, but another 38K are on the way. We're not going to get the chance to finish Ulm off: It's time to take what we can get.

Oh. You'll give me that? AND that? Sure, I like gold. Why thank you. You're too kind!

175211UlmBitch_zps9e0b85ab.jpg

Winding Down

Wurzburg chases my army out of Ulm and promptly starts a siege. That's alright. We retreat to Munich in an attempt to retake it and convince Wurzburg that I am NOT giving it to Augsburg. We settle there in December 1752, watching that 36K army in Ulm with trepidation. It wouldn't take much for them to come over and chase us out. For that matter, Austria's still building and I don't know WHERE Spain went.

Fortunately, in June 1753 Mainz decides they've had enough.

175306MainzLoses_zps8fcec43b.jpg

We've achieved one of our aims. Now we need to put some more thought into Augsburg, and I have a new secondary target - though I have some doubt how best to accomplish it. I think we should free the Luxembourgeois from Mitrehead persecution if we can help it.

The peace treaty wrecks Mainz and strengthens the emperor. Well, so be it.

We're forced to pick a new rival since Ulm is off the list. We take this opportunity to show Wurzburg how much we enjoy them calling us their enemies.

We spend a few relatively peaceful years. There's not much to recover from, but still a chance to wind down and deal with business. Three new cav units brought our army to 19K. We converted Ansbach to the wonders of Mitrehead worship and began building a fort. Revolutionaries tried to build support in Munchen, so we introduced them to some 'harsh treatment.' Our merchants were unhappy...

175402UnhappyMerchants_zps75252562.jpg

But they're always unhappy about something.

What do you think Johan? Should we stick around?

Johan's Dice

Reign: 5 years
Needed: 2+
Roll: 4
Continue?: Yes

Yes...

Around the League

Things are moving fast around the world, and Bavaria can see nearly all of it, so some news from elsewhere:

Bohemia defeated Hungary, though no land changed hands that I can see.

The Livonian Order has been dismantled. A strong Riga has appeared, while Denmark and Sweden have new lands in the Baltic.

My guess last time was wrong: The Iroquois are not a Spanish protectorate, so I'm surprised the colonies are leaving them alone.

Speaking of colonies, virtually all of them are at 30-45% liberty desire. They can make their move at 50% if they choose.

Norway has a province in the US Pacific Northwest. Russia still isn't interested in Alaska.

They are, however, interested in Madagascar. Britain has joined the Netherlands in Australia.

Ayutthaya has done a number on Khmer and is almost back to their full strength from our Lan Xang days.

The Mughals blew through Gujarat and own a good chunk of central India. They've also occupied Portuguese lands in southern India.

Speaking of which, Ceylon is independent of Portugal again.

The Ottomans have completely occupied Yemen.

Last edited:
2/0/2? That Maximilian Philippe is a real asch.
Encourage hunting!

A war against Poland that had Austria on your side would seem to be the only way to get that province off Wurttemberg and reunite your disparate country. Most of Bavaaria is under water - that is Wurttemberg. Yes, Augsberg would make a good addition and you'd become a minor power, again. What idea groups has Bavaria chosen? Fabricating claims on your former lands is just plain humiliating. That heir is humiliation enough, though. Austria protestant is a right turn up for the books. Still DoF to get involved in all sorts of wars it would otherwise have no business fighting.

Well, skipping the fact that throughout the war I simply accepted that you were randomly fighting nations of continental Europe and so I didn't try to understand who-was-who in the HRE civil war...it was a good turn for Bavaria. At least you did not get annexed.

;)

Wow, that Mainz war went horrible, though at least you got something out of it. It seems Spain is a paper tiger. It looks very strong and seems a useful ally, but they don't seem to be able or willing to assist in foreign wars, or even defend their own far away lands like Lithuania like we saw in your Hungary turn.
Are you angry about getting second place in the ACAs behind Glory to Ulm? I'd be careful about wrecking Ulm to much: you might cause a civil war on these forums, as Ulm fights the Random Nations!

Well things are looking a little better for Bavaria. Spain does seem to be a rather useless ally though. Will be interesting to see the world when the Colonies decide to start revolting too, since they're creeping ever closer to that.

Hope you can continue to build Bavaria, doing a decent job so far. Have to admit I was thinking it was going to be a rather quick death...

I must admit that, in the flurry of German princedoms, bishoprics, free cities and what-have-you, I got a little lost in your wars. Overall, my impression was that things were not going your way, at all, but in the end you managed to claw some concessions from your foes. I'm still confused, but it appears to have been a win for you, in the end. So I'll say good job, even while I'm not entirely sure what good job you did, exactly. :)