• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Become a republic! Use the strength of the people to destroy all your enemies!
Really bad luck with the die rolls. :p

Viva la Revolucion! Give in, it'll hurt you less and it's bound to happen inevitably. Your only hope is if Ottos attack and accidentally wander through the rebel stacks, that would be a true miracle.

LatinKaiser: I wasn't even thinking of Mel Brooks - though I should have. Oh well!

Dr. Livingstone: I think I have to. A 100K 'army' could really do some damage down here.

Asdfezxcas: Da, comrade!

Director: They'd only want roast Lazlo if they were Hungary.

Oops.

SigmaxMP: Thanks!

Chief Ragusa: That WOULD be a nice army, wouldn't it? No, I don't think joining the HRE is realistic. Watching Spain get stomped by the Ottos because their army is fighting Portugal might be realistic though..

DennisRoos: I didn't check on the UK, but Austria is still a Noble Republic. The ideals of the Revolution are not so easily removed, Da?

eternien: Don't you hate guys like that?

juckil: I certainly sat back and stared at the screen for awhile. Then when the follow up 'Governmental Incompetence' events started happening...

Stuyvesant: Yes, I think I'll let the rebel hordes take over and die for Mother Hungary!

Especially the chihuahuas. The world will tremble!

Homusubi: They're bad enough when your army reads like a Celsius thermometer when it's snowing.

Zero.

Andre Massena: I know....that's a little strange given the event chain. Maybe it's too soon?

Chief Ragusa: The leader is a 6/6/3, which is substantially better than Lazlo.

LanMisa: Tempting (and possibly fun), but getting them to leave afterwards...

Hiryuu: Do not be afraid, comrade! We have cookies!

GreatUberGeek: Johan's dice want us to suffer.

frankatank109: It would be a miracle...but again,g etting the Ottos to leave again might be an issue.

tnick0225: Johan doesn't give us countries that we cannot handle!

CHAPTER XXI: HUNGARY II
Part 4: Glory to Arstotzka
(1745-1750)

End of the Hunyadis

The last King of Hungary, Lazlo VI, was an idiot.

Oh, he might not have been in another time and place, but you said to let the revolution happen, so really what's about to happen is your fault.

When kings tremble and queens pout, when maidens give that sigh of where-is-my-handsome-knight-oh-wait-he-was-killed-fighting-merchant-trash (not peasants, let's not get silly here), and when Johan turns his back on Hungary because the natural divine order has been subverted, let it be on your head.

It was a bad few years. But strangely prosperous. Actually it really wasn't that bad. Just kinda boring.

In January 1745 we instituted 'harsh measures' through four Croatian provinces, Zemplen and Krakow, all candidates to defect. I didn't want Hungary breaking apart. There was also potential trouble in Ancona, but since we're trying to core it we have to expect some nationalism.

I then realized we picked up an idea slot when we gained Admin last turn and took Humanist ideas as a nod to the rebels, though since it requires Admin points I don't see us investing in it that often.

Our government proved 'incompetent' in Szabolcs, leading to another rebellion. Before the dust cleared in 1747 there would be five more of these 'incompetence' revolts of at least 12K each. Even if we hadn't lost our army, we'd be hard pressed to stem the tide.

More provinces began falling to the rebel hordes, starting with Serbia in May. The capital at Pest fell in September, and Lazlo went into hiding while his wife pouted. Over the next year the situation only worsened so by May 1746 it was .. well, even more hopeless than before. Rebels numbered 194K, making for the third or fourth largest army in the world.

174605RebelStomp_zps1164861f.jpg

You will also note that the Ottomans are in the process of wrecking Spanish Lithuania. But where are the Spanish hordes? You guessed it: Portugal. Though I never checked, future events suggest Netherlands and Spain kept busy in the New World as well.

In November 1746 merchants complained about the lack of protection (-10% trade efficiency, -10% trade range). Look guys: The country's going up in flames and it's your fault. OK, I know I said it was the readers' fault, but really it's your fault. You're getting zero help. Go home. Sure, join the rebels. What do I care?

Finally, in January 1747 King Lazlo ends any likelihood of a Spanish/Russian succession war by having a child: Lajos (5/3/3). I'm pretty sure it's not going to matter, bud.

Ancona cores in March. We immediately send in the missionaries. Ancona loves that even more than being cored.

Then, in June 1747, the government teeters .... and falls. The Hunyadi dynasty essentially died when Lazlo, his pouting wife and Lajos fed the capital. Which is too bad. I really like their cars.

Though they spell the name wrong.

174706Hyundaisymbol_zps453bd02f.jpg

Glory to Us!

Welcome, comrade! Don't mind the mess!

174706AdminRepublic_zpsbc2717e5.jpg

For centuries we have lived under the yoke of Hunyadi tyranny and their rice burning cars! Today is a new day! A proud day! A great day to be Hungary!

Pardon me while I get a sandwich.

It should be zero surprise that most of 'our' problems go away as soon as we adopt the Austrian ideals of fraternity, liberty and inbreeding! Our stability resets from -3 to 0, and we raise it further to 1 (overpaying due to low republican tradition). We have an army again! Granted it's only 35K (24/0/11), the others autodisbanding due to my force limit, but that will be enough.

One day we will further spread the revolution that started in Austria's ample and well sloped bosom with amazing pointed peaks, but first we must take a few defensive steps our 'predecessor' did not! Let's build 8 Fort-3s on the Turkish border, 2 courthouses and 3 more East Indiamen to bring our transport total to 9.

Ah! You sense there is a reason we're building more transports! That is because you, comrade, are intelligent unlike the royalist pigs that betrayed Hungary, St. Stephen, and probably a few other saints as well.

With only 35K we cannot take on Austria - nor would we have any reason to fight our friends in Marx and Engels! The Turks are out of the question, Venice has a fleet, Bohemia is allied with Austria and Poland with Spain. We must go further afield. Once everything's in place, we will finish off Tuscany!

In August 1747 Ludwig Anton I of the Palatinate becomes the oppressive pig dog monster who rules the Empire with a blood soaked fist. This suits our purpose, for the Palatinate is still divided and weak. So long as Spain helps us they cannot make a difference.

Then royalists supporting the deposed Lazlo try to make trouble.

The People Shall Endure!

In October 1747, 24K 'Protestants' rose up in Ancona. At least they claimed to be Protestants, but we know who was slipping money into their purposes, don't we comrade? And who's sweat and tears cover that money, making it kinda sticky and gross, except for the coinage of course? Us bureaucrats, that's who!

So we funnel the People's Army slowly to Spanish Naples. Meanwhile, we discover Bohemian agents trying to foster rebellion! We feed them to a random pack of wolves. For some reason our army thinks this is great!

174805Glory_zps29577c47.jpg

I am more impressed by staining Italy red with the blood of royalist dreams!

174806Ancona_zps08812a9d.jpg

This leads to charges of government incompetence! No no, my friend, Lazlo is gone. You are now in safe hands. Here, have some cash to break the event chain and go away.

Very strangely, this highlights our 'governmental brilliance' (+43.8 ducats) 6 months later. Opinion is fickle is it not?

Not to mention for sale.

Unfortunately we find that's not all for sale, as royalists try to undermine the Austro-Hungarian dream! Well, we know what to do with those kind of people.

174902ForeignPlots_zpsf203a593.jpg

Steal their money was my second guess.

It's now June 1749, and time for a quick campaign against Tuscany...

174906TuscanyNope_zps253ff1f6.jpg

Except doing so would mean fighting our friends in Austria. We can't do that can we? No, I didn't think so either. Especially when our Spanish friends remind us that they're getting stomped by the Turk in Lithuania. Well, if you would actually...I dunno...send a few armies this way, maybe that wouldn't be happening.

Indeed, when the Ottos ask for MA we grant it. It'll at least make them think twice about attacking.

We look briefly at stomping on OPM Siena, but from Ancona that means MA through Tuscany or Austria, and neither one likes that idea. So... it's time to send the army home. We leave 9K in Ancona in case of further trouble and the other 27K return to Pest.

Meanwhile, the Ottoman/Spanish/Dutch war is winding down...and thanks to Portugal, the Turks receive a bloody nose!

174908Maros_zpsfba606ea.jpg

But of course the Dutch are a republic as well. Perhaps they are clandestine supporters of the revolution? At any rate, thanks! We better build a fort there - just in case.

This convinces the Saxons to offer us an alliance. We accept, as they can annoy Bohemia if they choose, and might give us a little extra legitimacy in the eyes of Palatinate dogs.

It is now January 1750, and it is time to spread the revolution elsewhere!

Johan's Dice

Reign: 20 years
Needed: 5+
Roll: 1
Continue?: No

Last edited:
INTERLUDE XIV (1750)

Sorry for the size and zoom or lack there of on some of these shots. My middle mouse button is giving me fits. I need to replace it.

Thus ends our second Hungarian adventure!

174912Hungary_zps4b02c02b.jpg

Did we succeed here? Well, we're up two provinces. But we lost several for our allies, and we're now an Administrative Republic. Call it a draw.

Let's look at Europe first.
174912Europe_zps621b6725.jpg

Where, despite some pretty serious wars and hundreds of thousands dead, not much has really changed.

I did find out something disappointing: Some time between all the patches and what not, the game reset to 'historical lucky nations'. I'd thought the rise of Spain, the Ottos and Russia were ... well, natural luck and positioning on an even battlefield. Now I have to wonder, and that diminishes the game a little for me. It's off again now.

Swinging over to North America...

174912NAmerica_zps35ccd3b9.jpg

Brittany has not needed luck. After getting annexed by Spain and reappearing as a single 'colony' on Newfoundland, they might end up being this world's United States. It's interesting that the Iroquois are still here despite being surrounded by Spanish colonies. I didn't check: Perhaps they're a protectorate.

174912CAmerica_zps19ede8e8.jpg

The Aztecs are still hanging in there as well, though after Netherlands took Honduras they have a new neighbor.

Not shown, Portugal also has a small group of colonies in Baja California and California, the first settlements on the North American west coast. Russia still hasn't crossed the Pacific.

174912SAmerica_zps341f6da8.jpg

(British) Argentine is the big winner in the south, though really none of the colonies down here are small. As you can see, the Inca are also still kicking.

Africa's pretty stable, though the Russians have shown up here: On Sierra Leone, southwest of Mali along the coast.

Moving to Indochina:
174912SEAsia_zps9b8e68c3.jpg

For me the big news is that Britian has somehow managed to get a line of colonies going on the Indian west coast. Lan Xang reborn is still alive, and Ayutthaya is trying to put their empire back together with limited success.

I mentioned 25 years ago that Russians were in New Zealand. The Dutch have landed in Australia.

Lastly, in China and Japan:

174912China_zps59e26e25.jpg

The Russians are... wow. They're like the Mongols with fuzzy hats and a penchant for vodka.

I do feel a little bad for Japan. First they get kicked out of China, then Korea apparently shows up again, and now the Russians have an enclave on the main island.

---------------

So okay, Johan. Where now? Somewhere interesting please. Perhaps medium-large since the world's blobbed up. Somewhere without any neighbors that are too much more powerful. Somewhere...

174912Bavaria_zpsdd39875d.jpg

Bavaria

Oh dear.

Well, at least we'll have good beer.

Out of Hungary. Well, Mr Kun is a talented man and looked well on the way to becoming a republican dictator and perhaps form his own monarchy. Who knows? Perhaps there will be a third Hungarian instalment. Liked how the Netherlands got Hungary a core back. Republics have to stick together You left Hungary with an impressive ruler, two extra provinces, a full army and still have powerful allies. I would chalk that one up as a win. Okay so you didn't regain Bohemia as a vassal or the Ukraine, but good things come top those who wait.

Onto Bavaria. You can rebuild the country, you have the technology. Conquer Ulm and no one will be able to resist mighty Bavaria. The Palatinate is puny and weak and it's time for a strong Emperor who isn't the Palatinate or Austria. Bavaria by rights owns the Palatinate. make it so. Aside from that, have a peaceful relaxing time.

And so the revolution spreads. I loved the Papers, Please reference. Glory to Arstotzka! Hopefully your turn in Bavaria will go better. Bavaria doesn't look very strong, but at least the HRE is still pretty splintered in stead of consolidating into five or so big states, though Wurttemberg is looking pretty scary. Any chance of becoming Emperor? The Revolution beginning with the Hapsburgs does give a whole new dimension to the fraternité, brotherhood, in liberté, egalité, fraternité O_O. I guess these revolutionary leaders will all be very, very close?

Haven't commented here in a while, but I've been following with great interest. Is France completely gone at this point?!

At least with the Hungarian revolution you got a much better king!
The world is seriously crazy. Does Russia have an Indian port in one of the screenshots? God, the bear has gone crazy.

Breton America! Brittany of much stronks. :)

EDIT: Does Scotland still have colonies?

Last edited:
I wonder how the hell the Netherlands were able to score a victory against the Ottoman Empire... Ah well....
Willkommen im schönen Bayern. Auf zu Bier und Sauerkraut!

Really, your last turn with Hungary was mainly about bowing to the inevitable. You did pretty well improving your lot in the short time left. And given that you liked your misspelled Hungarian cars, you should be really happy to end up in Bavaria - beer and fast cars. What could possibly go wrong?