• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well that was incredibly short. It was rather odd seeing a rurikovich on the Portuguese throne, made me laugh a little bit too seeing that.

But back to Hungary! Which looks like it could be a rather painful turn...

Ottomans unstoppable? Give you a turn and their armies and navies would be disbanded and the Ottomans would generously release all possible nations. One reason Johan won't send you to the ottomans.

As Portugal you beat up some natives, made oodles of money from trade and ridiculed Brazil. All right and good proper Portuguese moves. No wonder you got moved.

As Hungary you bring in your Spanish, Polish, Bohemian and Austrian friends and allies and all pile in on the Ottomans. What's that? The four nations want to dogpile someone, only the someone is Hungary. You won't have to worry about lasting 5 years. It will be fun to see how the ai had mangled what you left Hungary, first time around. I haven't forgotten mitre-head, Venice and Tuscany. They can join your crusade against the Ottomans - make that a business opportunity to plunder sackfuls of Ottoman gold. Those three hate Hungary, too? Perhaps Morocco will join in on attack against the Ottomans. Nope they'll join in an attack on Hungary, too.

Good luck with Hungary. No, really , I mean that most sincerely. You'll need it.

Well that was rather short lived. Good luck holding off the Turkish menace in Hungary. Perhaps you could link up your land through Poland and that yellow blob which I'm praying isn't spain.

Well that was rather short lived. Good luck holding off the Turkish menace in Hungary. Perhaps you could link up your land through Poland and that yellow blob which I'm praying isn't spain.

Lol the yellow blob is indeed Spain :p

Oh my.
Well maybe you could use that extra land in peace offers, and perhaps release a vassal then sell a lot of land to them? If you're then small enough you could join the hre for a little more protection. Not a great strategy I know but your neighbours look scary :p

I was going to suggest that you have the Hungarians pick on someone besides the Ottomans since they as we’ve seen can be a royal pain in the you know where but I see they have Hungary split into two parts and that just won’t do. So the goal is easy, it’s how you do it that I’m sure will amuse and amaze us all. :)

Ah not again! Portugal seemed to be a very promising host, but once again we leave too early. Ah well, I believe you are well acquainted with the Ottomans, no?

Ah, CatKnight, it appears you did get that ringside seat to the Otto-Ruskie Ruccus! Aren't you glad Johan is so considerate? :p Hopefully their rumble royale will last longer than your tenure in Hungary, otherwise I think your stay will be exceedingly bleak and short. Come to think of it, with all of your other super-power neighbors/bullies, Hungary Pt. II will probably still be exceedingly bleak and short. Good luck.

I was going to suggest that you have the Hungarians pick on someone besides the Ottomans since they as we’ve seen can be a royal pain in the you know where but I see they have Hungary split into two parts and that just won’t do. So the goal is easy, it’s how you do it that I’m sure will amuse and amaze us all. :)

Such helpful suggestions from the the Grey Eminence himself. :) If the Pope in this game would channel your Harley-riding, brass-ball-clanging alter ego from 'Three Countries One Goal', then I could just see Hungary having a sliver of a chance against the Big Green Machine. Being that this is not going to happen, I think Hungary is in for a world of hurt - from whichever direction it's going to come.

Just wait, Blobhemia is going to invade Brazil any minute now, and there'll be no stopping them or the misinformed cries of irony.

DennisRoos: I didn't have much hope for Hungary, but now that I've given up on sanity it's much more fun. :)

Athalcor: I suppose. I guess Johan didn't like my idea of cutting off the African coast. If we were to port this game to Vic2 that would pretty much screw up the rest of the world.

Dr. Livingstone: Probably Brazil. That's why Johan made sure it showed up in our game.

Homusubi: That would be...really painful.

tnick0225: Hungary's not so bad! You just have to..uhm...adjust your expectations. Oh, and give up on sanity as I was telling Dennis.

Chief Ragusa: Hungary's already done alright without me. Well, they probably haven't done much at all, but at least it's not worse.

juckil: Linking up would have been nice. We'll have to try something else.

Andre Massena: Thank you!

tnick0225: Yes. Spain is...having a really good game.

juckil: That would be one strategy. I think in this game being small is a great way to get eaten though. All of my neighbors are equally large though. This could be a nice stable period in our history.

Oh who are we kidding? To war!

Hiryuu: Me too. These 5 year stays are murder.

Storey: Fighting the Ottomans would be kind of insane, wouldn't it?

Seelmeister: Oh yes, the Ottomans and I know each other well. 'Hello. My name is CatKnight. You killed my country. Prepare to die.'

Stuyvesant: Hey, I didn't think of it that way! Thanks for the ringside seat, Johan!

flavioso20: Glad you're enjoying it. Honestly I think Brazil caught some lucky breaks in other games and shouldn't have made it to the semifinals. That was quite a final between Germany and Argentina however!

Cyborg Mage: How did you guess??

CHAPTER XXI: HUNGARY II
Part 1: Kicking Anthills
(1730-1735)

Second Verse

Welcome back to Hungary and our ongoing efforts to destabilize the world one country at a time!

Let's see what's changed:

173005Hungary_zps0d8c952d.jpg

Not as much as you might think.

Same dynasty. Hungary westernized last time we were here and has done a good job of catching up, but with most western countries in the 24-26 range, that Admin-20 is still a bit short. We don't like Poland or Austria - same as last time. We aren't fond of Bohemia either. Our alliance with Spain has stood the test of time. Everyone else is just icing on the cake.

We have a CB on the Ottomans, Austria and Venice. Let's attack the Turk! Wait, just kidding.

The Ottomans are in a nasty war already: They've gone toe to toe versus Russia over some border province. They have 280K soldiers, the Russians 200. Both are Military-26. Should be a good match.

Poland and Austria have joined up with Bavaria and Wurtemberg to take out the Livonians, Teutons and Hansa. They're winning as well, which makes intervention tempting...except Spain is Poland's ally, and it looks like they'll side with them if I do.

Anyway Austria is also busy, with France and Utrecht, fending off Mitrehead and Magdeburg. I don't want to interfere with that. Incidentally, I don't have the faintest idea where Mitrehead is hiding these days: Tuscany's owned Rome for several years now.

Venice has Milan and Siena as allies. They also have 57 ships, and I'm not even close. This makes the city of Venice impregnable and any campaign somewhat fruitless.

This leaves Bohemia. Bohemia is allied with Anhalt, Brunswick and Ulm. Oh, the Emperor (still Palatinate!) will help if we do this. Well, if Spain helps then the Emperor isn't an issue.

Ulm Rising

It takes a year to get ready. During this time I forge claims on Ratibor (Bohemia) and Sieradz (Poland). The latter may prove useful someday, and the former will save us some war exhaustion and stability. We also pass the 'De Heretico Comburendo' Act, which gives us +2% Taxes, +0.5% Missionary Strength, and increases the chance of church reform. Since that ship sailed a long time ago, this is a free bonus.

Our merchant placement isn't bad. I only move one, leaving us with houses in Venice, Alexandria, Ragusa, Wien and Constantinople with the former three protected by small trading fleets.

In July, Bohemia gets into a war with Saxony, Bavaria and Utrecht. All the easier.

By November our naval officers are retiring (-10% Naval Trad), but with only fifteen warships (six of those transports) .. well, naval campaigns aren't part of our future.

A new year, and Bohemia discovers our agent. Too bad. We snub them by holding a huge party where we welcome Ratibor to the Hungarian Empire. It goes over so well that we get Diplomacy-25 (Three Deckers). We then tell Bohemia to give us the province or pay the price.

173105AttackBohemia_zpse0fa3cf0.jpg

They aren't impressed.

Despite the above screenie, Spain can't be bothered so it's HUNGARY, Milan and Savoy vs. PALATINATE, Anhalt, Bohemia, Brunswick and Ulm.

Oh dear.

We'll have to do this fast. We siege Ratibor and Bohmerwald. The Bohemians attack Bohmerwald, so I leave a minimal garrison and send the rest of the army to help defend. They invite all their buddies (including ULM.)

In July 1732 the two armies collide. We have 31,000 under Domotor Kinizsi, who was Hungary's choice for general of the year until I realized he was out of his league. (F1 S2 M4 Sg0) The had 38,000 under Josef Vaclav Veliky (5/4/3/1).

173107Bohmerwald_zpseb1bf1f4.jpg

Right.

We sent our entire army home to recover. The costs of this recovery threw our budget into the negative, and I took loans to hire 12K more soldiers. This was much more than the Hungarian force limit (48/31 after the purchases) but...well, I needed to try.

Over the autumn and winter we recovered our strength, crushed an 8K Anhalt force and a few 1K stragglers. We then noticed the Bohemian army, alone, in Saxony and rolled the dice.

173203Anotherloss_zps883a86fd.jpg

History will credit Veliky with being the better commander. Personally, I think it was ULM.

Our army tried to reocver in Krakow, but they chased us out of there with heavy losses. Bohemia wasted their chance to annihilate our army as we retreated to the Turk border.

This is ridiculous. I have better things to do.

173210Peace_zpsefde8f97.jpg

That may seem like a heavy peace. Perhaps you're right, but we had no land connection to the Ukraine anyway.

What I didn't expect was this giving the emperor enough of a boost to enact the next reform. This is going to make dealing with the HRE that much harder.

Interbellum

For some reason our army is really proud of how we performed in that war.

173304ShowElan_zpsb4cce33c.jpg

Sure, guys. Go celebrate. BTW, I'm finding you another commander if we do this again!

We reduce our army back to the 31K limit and begin rebuilding our economy. A merchant company helps: We're offered a long term investment or short term payout. The latter is worth 510 gold, which is enough to pay the army while they heal while dealing with loans.

We're rewarded for our economic care by learning Administration-21. This opens up Absolute Monarchy when I have some more Admin points.

It's July 1733, and I look in on the Turk/Russian war. Ugh. The Ottomans have seized most of what we'd consider the Crimea and are pushing into the eastern steppes. This..could be game over. If Russia can't at least hold the Ottos to a stand still, then we have our game winner.

Army size: Ottomans 153K, Russians 193K.

Hm...

So a few things appear to be at play here. Obviously the Russians are spread all over the place, which explains why the Ottos are taking so much land. This also is probably limiting Russian losses, and they should have much better manpower.

Hm...

So, if I can just give the Ottomans a little bit of a push, that might turn the tide. Why do I care? Well, maybe I don't. Certainly this is the best I've ever seen the Ottomans do in any version of EU. Still... Still, if you were a ruler in this world, wouldn't you want to try to break up one of the hegemons threatening to just take it over? Especially one on your border who's taken land from you in the past?

173403Ottos_zps07f6efc6.jpg

Me too.

Go Team Spain!

So it's HUNGARY, Spain (Catalan Canada, Florida), Milan vs. the OTTOMANS, Morocco, Portugal (Caraibas, Portugese Brazil, Portuguese Mexico) in what might pass for this world's Seven Years War.

My official war goal is of course Hunyad, but I'm not hopeful. Certainly if we win convincingly I'll take it, but really just weakening the Ottomans will answer. If Russia and Spain are weakened in the fighting as well, then that's probably good for the rest of the world.

Naturally there will be casualties, at least until Spain shows up. I'm out of my league and we all know it. In May nineteen of their ships (6/6/7/0) crush my war fleet (0/0/9/6) and even gain a transport for their troubles. Whatever, guys.

I once more invaded two border provinces (Hunyad and Maros). Interestingly, they seemed inclined to ignore me and counterinvade Maramaros. I sent the army home to check them. Meanwhile, the Spaniards landed in force along the Albanian border leading to the first two major battles in July 1734.

173407MajorBattles_zps3c113e91.jpg

The Spaniards win easily, and by the end of the year have a few large armies in the Balkans. I'm not as lucky, losing 12K to their 9K, but it's enough to check their advance and bleed them a little. By October I'm confident enough to return to Maros and lay siege. The Ottomans don't press their luck.

By December 1734, it's on.

173412FrontLine_zpsd486c2cf.jpg

Code:
Nation            Current Army       Manpower
Ottomans          104.9K               5.4K
Russia            145.8K             416.6K
Spain             208.2K             111.7K

What do you think Johan, should we wreak some more havoc?

Johan's Dice

Reign: 5 years
Needed: 2+
Roll: 4
Continue?: Yes

Sweet.

What's the matter Mughals, no bite to back up your bark?

I'm glad Johan gave the Magyars more time to twist the knife. You're not likely to get another chance to make the Ottoman parts of the world safe/interesting for the AI and I love to see a country punch above its weight in EUIV.

So, King, we have not managed to defeat Bohemia and Ulm. What do we do?

Attack the Ottoman Empire!!!

Sure.

But as Terry Pratchett says: 'A million-to-one chance succeeds nine times out of ten.'

The important thing in any war is not to fight Ulm unless one has overwhelming strength. No wonder the Hungarian army was elated, it didn't get annihilated. Will Russia make peace for a couple of roubles and a don't come here again peace with the Ottomans?

How long will you get to stay in Hungary this time? Long enough to wreck either it or the Ottomans? Good luck with this war. You're going to need it. Bet you'd like to be Russia to properly exploit the situation.