• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Did anyone notice this?

Well that went well. Yemen's picked on what it can. If a tech 15 Chinese unit is equivalent to a western tech 15 unit, it does nerf Europe and makes tech groups pretty much irrelevant. The choices the human player has now seem to be exactly the same as the ai -nerfing the human player still further without providing the advantages of the ai. I though the idea of adm/dip/mil points was a pretty dumb idea to begin with and now that's a dumb idea made dumber still.

Keep in mind, that there is still the tech-coast penalty, so it's still hard for the non europeans to counter a western army with an own army of the same tech-level. The similarity within a tech level gives the non-westeners a much needed boost, but without bringing them quite on the same level. Being able to beat for example a chinese Zhou empire with 80.000 troops with 10.000 western troops like I did in my last game and comparable sh*t wasn't that great of a game mechanic to begin with.

Edit: Oh and Cat, please show us a picture of the BYB (aka Spain).

Edit Edit: And congratulations for the ACA co-win!

Last edited:
Congratulations CatKnight and Svip on winnign the ACAs! You really deserved it! You seem to be doing well as Yemen, though Wealth of Nations will probably take some getting used to. With Spain also controlling Lithuania, are they even stoppable now? They must be the strongest power in the world.

Congratz!

Congrats! This truly is an awesome AAR!

Well done to CatKnight, and I really wish Johan would give you some more interesting states.

Why not Spain, or the Ottos, or Ayutthaya?

Congratulations on the Co-ACA and congratulations on a hand turn well played with Yemen. Oman humbled, Kilwa dismantled - you're well on your way to teach neighboring countries they better not have any funny names if they want to live.

Off to a great start with Yemen, also great to hear that Palpatine still rules the Empire...

But Spain inheriting Lithuania...ouch...

So instead of a BBB in Europe we have the monstrosity of the BYB, or maybe more apt the BYoB? :p

Chief Ragusa: No, not really. While units within a tech level are similar, the western powers will still gain tech faster and that makes a huge difference. Consider the following:

Here are Kilwa's units. Kilwa is Sub Saharan Level 12
* African Plains Warriors (7 offense pips, 4 defense)
* Abyssinian Banded Cav (5,4)
* Culverin (2,2)

Now, here are Yemen's units at Muslim Level 12
* Muslim Musketeer (5,5)
* Qizalbash Cavalry (4,3)
* Culverin (2,2)

Kilwa actually has a small advantage! Except....I've gained tech levels faster. Yemen is actually Muslim Level 17
* Afsharid Reformed Infantry (7,6)
* Muslim Musketeer Cavalry (5,4)
* Chambered Demi-Cannon (4,4)

Those extra pips made a huge difference in my crushing their military.

Homusubi: Oh I'm sure Spain has only the best interests of the world in mind.

Svip: I didn't even realize voting was going on! Thank you, and congratulations!

McGrey: Here you go. (As of the END of this turn)
170912BYB_zpsad4fb80d.jpg

See Homusubi? No problem at all.

DennisRoos: Spain is definitely the world leader, though it isn't as clear cut as you might think. They're #1 in income and navy. Their techs are 24/24/24 while the world leaders only have 25. Their army however is # 3 - and WELL behind Russia and the Ottos. Needless to say a war in Eastern Europe could get very ugly, very fast.

Chyll: Thanks!

Dr. Livingstone: Much appreciated.

LatinKaiser: Thanks!

RepublicanIV: Well, I don't know. I've had a few large powers (Russia, Mughals) and they were certainly lots of fun, but sometimes the smaller states can be fun as well. I certainly didn't expect Morocco to march across North Africa, or to take Mantua, annex them with Austria, then smash THEM with Palatinate.

Stuyvesant: That's right! Only the Yemeni shall have a funny country name.

Yemeniyemeniyemeni...

topimi: LOL Thanks

Rohirrinn: Honestly that suggests you haven't seen many worlds. This one is downright tidy compared to some of the horrors I've seen in other AARs or played over the years!

tnick0225: Yes, definitely a BYB.

Hiryuu: Thanks!

Strix97: Thanks!

I have to admit I was blown away when I read svip's post. Like I said, somehow I'd completely missed we were even voting.

I'm pleased, and humbled, that you like my little attempts at humor and more serious attempts to mess up this world we've watched evolve 5 years at a time.

Over the years AARland has debated a few times whether a writer should be motivated by their readers, or if it's more...pure...if that motivation comes completely from within. I vividly remember one post where writing with the readers in mind was tantamount to .. uhm... uhm... pleasing oneself.

Well, I can certainly say that while I'm enjoying this and as curious where this world's headed as any of you, it's your comments and camaraderie that keep me coming back for more. Especially when we wander into dark places like Lan Xang or Najd. I may be the one crafting this world, but it would not exist without you.

Thank you, everyone.

CHAPTER XIX: YEMEN
Part 2: Westernizing on a Budget
(1705-1710)

Guess what we're doing this turn?

If you guessed 'antagonizing the Mughals' you're absolutely right! Though in all fairness they started it.

Oh? The westernization thing? Yeah, we start that too. First we have to deal with that great evil, the terrible foe that threatens everything us Yemeni hold dear, the Anti..uhm...Muhammed (despite the fact they're also Sunni), Kilwa.

Subjugation

170501Peace_zps54ff4208.jpg

Well. That was easy.

We were at 88% war score as the turn began so tried out luck, and the Kilwans were more than happy to concede. They are now a protectorate like Funj, safely under umbrella while secretly dreaming of freedom. What can go wrong?

Well, one thing is high revolt risk rates pretty much everywhere. We begin coring the last Omani province, impose harsh treatement in 13 provinces, and start changing the culture in seven others.

Simply put, I overreact. The high revolt risk crashes once the people see us trying to get our budget under control. The provinces we convert were Egyptian, which was already an accepted culture. In fact, by slowly converting them to Bedouin, we ultimately declare the remaining Egyptians 'unfit for our halls'. Also, all those dip power points would have been useful.

Oh well. Can you blame me for not paying attention?

170509Complacent_zpse28fa086.jpg

Certainly these guys can't talk.

We lower our military to 28 units, which steadies our budget. From a height of 22 loans, we'll be down to nine at the end of this turn.

Our army arrives home in September 1705. We're still trying to get ready for Westernization, and have one too many diplomatic relationships, so I cancel the RM with Funj. It's not like they can do anything about it.

In January 1706, the Mughals ask if we'd like to contribute to their wellbeing.

170601MughalTrade_zpsf8590a24.jpg

I believe the Arabic term is 'LOL.'

Our refusal apparently impresses the Mughal emperor, who immediately asks for a royal marriage. They're already our allies, so it's not an extra diplomatic relationship we can't afford. Sure.

Fiscal and diplomatic responsibility is something our people can get behind.
170603GovtPolicies_zpsb66b1b1c.jpg

It's just too bad that good will won't last.

Westernizing

So, for those of you who may have not had the pleasure, let's review.

Westernizing lowers our stability by three, but if you have some Admin powers saved up that's hardly back breaking.

Your country will automatically invest up to 8 monarch power from each category into the cause. When you build up 2800, your tech group changes to western.

Our current regency is 5/1/1. He produces 8/4/4 points per month. As we begin, our Diplomatic power pool is almost depleted, but we have plenty of Admin and Military.

This means we can pretty much put 8 Admin points into westernizing indefinitely. We will put in up to 8 points from the other categories as well, but since we're only producing 4 per turn, this will begin draining our Dip/Military pools. When we run out, we'll only put in what was produced (4 in this case).

Throw it all together, and it's going to look something like this.

170609Westernization_zps7449527e.jpg

So...12 years, with an expected completion date of 1718. We might not be in Yemen anymore, but that should position them to close the tech gap they have with the Ottos and Morocco and perhaps even challenge Portugal in time.

It's a huge step, but the Ottomans are supportive: They sell us naval supplies for -1 mercantilism, +40 Dip Power and +20 relations.

Internally it goes down hill pretty fast: In June 1707 brigands attack pilgrims and we of course repel them. Then the nobles just get stupid.

170706NoblesGetBeat_zps388cc735.jpg

Our 28K army catches theirs in October, inflicting 7,000 killed before they disperse.

Persia Asks For It

Around that time a Persian agent is caught trying to smear our reputation. Per diplomatic protocols and the in game text we send him back. Without his tongue. Or his ability to reproduce.

This doesn't seem to deter them though, as Persia embargoes us in February... and despite the fact I'm westernizing and paying off loans, it's tempting.

Persia has an army of 31K...on the Mughal border. The Mughals have 45K in Hormuz and would happily join me in a punitive war.

We even move our fleet to the Persian Gulf, watching small Persian naval squadrons move in and out. Our army moves towards Qatar, ready to catch a series of quick boat rides once the Mughal army destroys the Persians. I open the diplomatic menu, and...

...our new Sultan (Mohammed, 4/1/4) embarasses the court for -1 stability.

Which causes more nobles to rise up. In the modern Sudan. With 22 regiments.

Which is about when we catch a Persian agent trying to sow discontent. We sow his mouth shut and send him home. He won't be having children either.

For six months our army marches from Qatar to the Sudan, and in December 1708 our 28K meets their 22K. It's...close. We lose 10,000 to their 9,500 - but our superior numbers mean we hold the ground at day's end. Those nobles disband as well.

In January 1709 I'm ready to declare war even with my army badly out of position - after all, once the Persian fleet is crushed or blockaded we have all the time in the world, and anyway it's fair to let the Mughals get first crack at a few provinces (and fight that 31K army.) That's when I remember we have 0 Dip points stored, and barring events it's going to be that way for another nine years. This means I can fight, but I can't impose peace. Not good. Perhaps I'll think of something if we get another turn.

My failure to declare war frustrates the Mughals, who would like us to share our trade again.

Given their reaction, maybe they don't speak Arabic.

In June, it's time for our artists to let us know that we're forfeiting our culture and for what? So that perhaps Morocco, the Ottos and Portugal won't stomp on us. Where's the glory in that?

170906CulturalResistance_zps8fa488a2.jpg

Tough. A look at our neighbors' military techs shows how important this is:
Code:
Portugal     25
Ottomans     24
Morocco      22
Oman         18
**Yemen**   *17*
Kilwa        12
Funj          6

In December Suhar (formerly Oman) converts to Sunni, uniting the Yemeni in one interpretation of Islam. OPM Oman and Persia are the only Shiites in the world.

As the turn ends, I impose harsh measures everywhere just in case we're not here to manage Westernization further. Said process is at 31.03% (869/2800) and now expected to finish in February 1718.

Johan's Dice

Reign: 10 years
Needed: 3+
Roll: 5
Continue?: Yes

We might even be here to see it.

It would be pretty neat to see Westernization finish up in Yemen while we're visiting! It would definitely help the AI out after you leave. Although it does suck that the lack of diplo points means a war is pretty pointless since you wouldn't get to enforce anything.

Now that I saw a map with that Spain, that's gotta have an entertaining impact on things in Europe. Maybe we're due for a BYoB v Russia v Ottomon three-way death-match :p

And belated congrats on winning the ACAs (or tying for first I should say)...I definitely agree with your sentiments about the readers keeping us motivated. Hard to continually update something for months to years on end if no one seems to be interested.

I think they changed westernization around a bit in the new patch/expansion. I believe you will keep your unit group, which works because they balanced the units on the same tech level. Also the total amount of points you need to westernize depends on which tech group you start in; I played a game as a native american and it took 17 years to westernize (that was 5000 total points).

I believe the Arabic term is 'LOL.'

But don't forget: Arabic is written right-to-left, so it would be... um, never mind...

Anyway, good show! Even if you have shackled yourself by embarking on westernization (I don't think I'd have the stomach to do so - particularly in your case, where you might not even see the results).

Appreciate your humble acceptance speech. :) I comment, don't write myself, but it seems pretty obvious that any writer is writing to be read. And the best way to accomplish that, is to write with the reader in mind (in my humble opinion). Doesn't mean you have to give them all the candies they want, but you should write in a way that they want to read on. Well, at least that's how I feel, as a reader.

Enough of that tangent. Good luck with your continued adventures in Yemeni Westernization!