• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Palatinate

You want a challenge? Time to play Ulm!

Yeah, Palatinate from me as well. You're small, but you're the Emperor, and you're in Europe! Win or lose, it's going to be a much more interesting turn than sitting in Kanem Bornu twiddling your thumbs. Also I kind of want to see how the Austrian Problem turns out. I'm betting you won't even be able to see Austria as KB.

I would utterly insist in choosing the proud Palatinate as your new nation, because, by chance, you might trigger the event of finding the legendary Gold of the Rhine from the Nibelungen-Saga. With these vast treasures, once stolen from the mighty dragon Fafnir by Siegfried and thrown into the Rhine by evil Hagen, you should be able to withstand your mighty neighbours and found an empire, silly in its turquoise colour, but abounding with rheinlaenderness.

It's gotta be the Palatinate. Kanem Bornu doesn't look like fun at all. The emperor has possiblities. UNLIMITED POWER! wait, wrong emperor.

Anyway, do what will be more fun for you and more enjoyable for the majority of us (I think some like to see failures)

VOTING CLOSED

Once more, thank you everyone for expressing your opinions. I was overwhelmed by the number of people who chimed in, including ten who had never commented in this AAR before. (Welcome!)

By a final vote of 30-5, next up will be...

Palpatine_zpsffec16b8.png

Everything is proceeding as I have forseen. (YouTube link)

Over last few days I just read the entire thing. I just started my own and after 16 years in Scotland I got a Kannem Bornu moment with Ryuku... I too decided not to die of boredom and go with Oirat Horde instead.

Also, Munster Iceland isnt that weird, i've seen it before. IDK why though...

To late to vote, but I'm curious how it will work out.

Everything is proceeding as I have forseen.

Now I see Johan, sitting in front of his monitor, tipping his fingertips together like Mr. Burns (or alternatively stroking a white cat) and going: "We will see about that, Mr. Catknight."

Now I see Johan, sitting in front of his monitor, tipping his fingertips together like Mr. Burns (or alternatively stroking a white cat) and going: "We will see about that, Mr. Catknight."

CatKnight: Do you expect me to talk?

Johan: No, Mr CatKnight, I expect you to die!

VOTING CLOSED

Once more, thank you everyone for expressing your opinions. I was overwhelmed by the number of people who chimed in, including ten who had never commented in this AAR before. (Welcome!)

By a final vote of 30-5, next up will be...

Palpatine_zpsffec16b8.png

Everything is proceeding as I have forseen. (YouTube link)

What makes that even more suiting is you have that rebel Republic trying overthrow the tyranny of Empire as well!!! Its an odd turn of events where a Habsburg Austria could be the Jedi and the Palatine the Sith overlords.

Odd then that I should back the Emperor against the Republic.

The Emperor is in a really lousy position. I, like Johan, expect you to die.

Do you expect me to talk, Johan?

No, Mr. Catknight, I expect you to die!

Jack45: Thanks for reading! Ryukyu...yeah, that would be a hard one. Perhaps hope China or Japan will take you in as a vassal and lead you to adventure.

McGrey: Quite possibly!

Svip: You think Johan's trying to kill me? *gulp*

tnick0225: I can't help it. Every time the Palatinate becomes Emperor I start thinking Star Wars. :)

Chief Ragusa: I can't die unless the Rebels blow up my Death Star!

ScribleScrable: Johan IS trying to kill me. :(

Hiryuu: Yep! Though if the Empire's going to grow stronger, first step is to take down the monster I just built.

CHAPTER XVII: PALATINATE
Part 1: The Empire Strikes Back
(1675-1680)

(This post may not make sense to you if you haven't seen Star Wars IV-VI (aka the 'Real' Star Wars). Also, I feel bad for you if you haven't.)

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Introduction

For too long have we allowed the Austrians to proceed with their little 'social experiment.' It is now time to show them the power of the dark side!

167501PalatinateIntro_zps08cd8c3d.jpg

The Palatinate is headed by Grand Moff Johann Wilhelm (in our name of course). J.W. is aggressively average, which helps keep him out of trouble with anything like ambition. His son hopes to be a great diplomat. And little else. Fool.

It is natural that the Galactic Empire has picked up a few enemies. Among those who fear us are Kongo, Funj, Kilwa, Oyo and Chagatai. Bavaria, Milan and France hope to curry our favor. We have Imperial related casus bellums against much of the galaxy, and are a proud member of NEATO, an alliance whose sole aim is to make Austria crawl.

We have a little time however, as we must let the truce most of NEATO has with Austria run out. Let's change out rivals Mainz and Wurtemberg, who we may still find useful, for Austria and Bohemia. Also, our merchant fleets need to be brought back to more lucrative shipping lanes, so we send them to the Antwerp, Frankfurt, Wien, Genoa and Lubeck systems.

We then forge an alliance with the Poles. I don't expect much from them, but always in motion is the future. They may yet surprise us.

Lastly, the former Grand Moff (who is no longer with us) left us with only 9 Star Destroyers (infantry), 1 Cruisers (cavalry) and 1 Interdictor (artillery). We take a few loans to bring that up to 9/3/3.

In June of the 1,675th year of the Old Republic, the Austrians ask me why I'm hiding behind Darth Vader's skirts. First, Vader isn't wearing skirts. That's a cloak. Second, how dare you! I'll fry your heart out and feed it to a rancor! (Dip Insult)

Well, fine. Did you know there are those willing to rebel against the rebels? It seems the peace and stability of an Empire isn't as unpopular as they would like you to think!

167506Rebels_zpse3a7635e.jpg

We learn that a far off species of primitives called the 'Inca' wish to westernize. I swear, they're as bad as the Ewoks. 'We's in your shield generator stealing your techs.' Right. Get back to me when you have a Death Star!

In September we reform our currency, because apparently buying replacement light sabers for Vader is getting costly. This causes some whining (-5 Inflation, -1 Stab) so I let Vader explain things to them. I'm told discussions were brief.

At last it's time! We break our marriage with the Rebels (how did that happen?) and launch an attack on the Ansbach system! It is time to show them the power of this fully operational NEATO!

It Gets Real

The plan was not that simple, but gets credit for lightning balls!

167603DoW1_zps092f2d57.jpg

Or is it ball lightning? I never could keep them straight.

167603DoW2_zps3d19cc03.jpg

We send Admiral Gelnhausen to seize the Ansbach system! Unfortunately, treacherous Bothans..er..Bohemians reveal our plans to the Rebellion! They meet us led by a smuggler on a freighter!

167604Ow_zpse0f778fd.jpg

What the hell is a 'Millenium Falcon?'

Vader summarily (and permanently) dismisses Gelnhausen. Despite this setback the situation isn't desperate: It's not even bad, as Hungarian bounty hunters cross the Rebel frontier with 30 warships!

The bounty hunters are strong, but I think their helmets fried their brains, for they just wander the border listlessly. Then the Savoyards scrape together 40 ships of their own and engage the main Rebel fleet!

And lose. Badly.

By August 1671 the Imperial fleet is back at full strength (13/3/4), and we have discovered a cloning facility in Spain! (Savoy must have invited them to the war.) The facility churns out hundreds of ships loyal to ME and begins pushing the Rebels back on all fronts!

Well, not right away. They decide to tour the pleasure planets first. We'll get back to them.

First, Vader (F3 S5 M2 Sg3) takes our fleet and engages the Rebels at Wallis inflicting a humiliating victory! Unfortunately, they hyperspace out of range before we can inflict a decisive blow.

In December another fleet appears, apparently led by a bald eagle, and Vader crushes them too!

167610WinWallis_zps8992bedf.jpg

I command Vader to return and refit the fleet. On the way home he destroys 8 Augsburg ships out of spite. The bounty hunters have finally settled on a target. The force was with us!

Then, in March 1678 the Rebel fleet led by that damnable 'Millenial Fallacy' appears to threaten the Kassel system!

167703Update_zps619c1e3e.jpg

These are Imperial citizens! Those are Imperial taxes! How can we have a race called the 'Kassel Run' without Kassel? Vader! See to this!

167704Kassel_zps3e2c447a.jpg

GRRRR!

Clone Wars

It is now when the Spanish clones make their presence felt! They force France to yield (annuling treaties) in September 1677, then Tuscany (ditto) in February 1678.

Meanwhile, Vader avenges his loss (and avoids our rage!) by meeting the Millipede Fallacy at Memmingen and smashing his fleet!

The Rebels retreat to the Bohemian homeworld. Vader asks if he can borrow the Death Star and takes it for a spin. When he gets there however, the Rebels have rallied around some twit named Luke Skywalker who fires a torpedo down an exhaust shaft and blows it up!

167802Ow2_zpsacc54883.jpg

Who designed something called the 'Death Star' with such a glaring gap in its defenses!? My engineers promise me the second Death Star will be larger. Stronger. And big enough for an entire ship to fly to the reactor core! You know, in case it needs fixing.

Or something.

Hm. I need new engineers.

Despite this setback, the tide has turned! The Modenans know who their masters are and rise in rebellion, as do Lombard patriots! Vader smashes 5 Magdeburg ships, while the clones invade Istria with 34! Even the horsefaced Lithuanians appear and interdict the Ansbach system!

It is nearly a year of unbroken victories. We retake the Westfalen system and celebrate by opening the refineries (Diplomacy-20) and getting drunk.

Oooh. Never again. Friends don't let friends use the force while drunk. Now where did my throne go?

By March 1679 it's time for the Rebels to see reason.

167903Update_zps8882e877.jpg

Of course, the Rebels do not understand reason. In April, Luke Skyhopper and his fleet appear near Saxony. Their 37 ships meet 24 clones in May and win, however they're weakening. In June 14 more clone ships catch the fleet, and this time it's the Rebels who retreat after their Utrecht allies peace out (cancel treaties).

Over the next few months we forge an alliance with the Hungarian bounty hunters for after the war, promising them new and more comforable helmets. We also teach our stormtroopers to shoot better by practicing on local wildlife! (Improved Foraging, Defense Idea 7)

By July most of Rebel held Austria is occupied, and Vader moves out to take the prize homeworld of Wien. Skylander jumps his fleet into Vader's path.

167910TrashDeathstack_zps56b58cda.jpg

It's ship versus ship, lightsaber versus lightsaber, Ewok versus battle droid! There will be no escape for them this time!

In December, Vader moves his fleet to interdict the Wien system!

167912SAustria_zpsce98bbda.jpg

Soon we will return order to the Galaxy!

Johan's Dice

Reign: 5 years
Needed: 2+
Roll: 6
Continue? Yes

tnick0225: I can't help it. Every time the Palatinate becomes Emperor I start thinking Star Wars. :)

I always think of Palpatine whenever I see Palatinate as well, even when they're not the Emperor. I even catch myself calling the Palatinate (Palpatine) :)

Its a good thing that the Spanish Clones joined the war, as things looked to be heading south for you. That and the Hungarian Bounty Hunters. Its got to feel a little awkward slapping what you created though. But I imagine it'll give you quite a bit of Imperial Power Points, so maybe it'll help you push Palpatine along with an Imperial Reform or two before Johann sends you off to enjoy the westernizing Inca.

*hums the imperial march*

Great Update, Cat. Now bring Imperial Order to these damned Rebels!