• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Date went well. Japan united. Check. Korea invaded. Check. Provinces taken from Korea. Check. Solid start for the flower power people - what else can you call a people who name their throne after a flower?

Oh the perils of a lack of Admin points. Expansion by colonist may be outside the scope of the current stay in Japan. Good to see the crazed shamen of Ryukyu have seen the Shinto light and won't be embarking on any global conquest. This new generation of samurai seem a little weak. Too much tea drinking and not enough swordplay.

To the south!

Even if colonization is outside of the scope of the current die roll, giving japan the exploration idea ASAP might allow the AI to take care of it itself in the future, which would be worthwhile to see.

I agree that'd it'd be nice to set Japan up for future colonization, if possible.

But in the meanwhile, more conquest!

Saintrl: I'm disappointed as well. More to follow.

Seelmeister: Well, the idea is that Korea is permanently weakened. So long as the Ming or Oirat don't get involved, I have nothing to fear from that direction.

tnick0225: I can't take credit for Date since that was happening anyway, but yes - a very enjoyable war versus Korea.

Chief Ragusa: A very solid start, but Admin Power is going to be a huge problem.

Darkath: Unfortunately if I could give Japan the Exploration Idea, I'd be exploring and not fighting.

Idhrendur: Ditto.

Roflpotamus: Pretty much!

Why isn't Cat colonizing?

I thought I was clear, but perhaps not.

I would love to be colonizing as Japan. I can 'see' Taiwan, Hokkaido, Kamchatka and some of the Indonesian islands as well. Founding the Coprosperity Sphere a few centuries early sounded like a great idea when I loaded as Japan.

I can't. I have no colonists. I need the Exploration Idea.

I am at Admin-8. I need Admin-10 for my next idea. When I loaded up as Japan I calculated: If NOTHING went wrong (and we know EU4 likes its random events), I would need 23 years to get to Admin-10. That's turn #5, and there's only a 9.1% chance we would even still be here.

Not to mention that's 4+ turns where you get to watch me react to random events and not do anything that would cost Admin - like coring conquered provinces or bringing down my inflation.

I figured that rather than wait for such a slim chance, you'd rather see me do something. So I jumped Korea. :)

CHAPTER IX: JAPAN
Part 2: Domestic Problems
(1585-1590)

Getting Comfortable

So the real question for this turn is: Go south and find trouble, or get ready to stomp on Korea some more next round.

I would love to attack Ayutthaya, but with their numerical superiority and the fact I have to travel so far to get there...no. Our ships will be out of supply, and while I suppose we could get port access somewhere, that doesn't really help with actual blockade work.

Dai Viet and Brunei are possibilities. They are just within colonization range, so could be cored - however Dai Viet has an impressive coring penalty, while Brunei boasts an equally impressive defensive bonus.

You know, we've been fighting alot lately. Let's take the turn off, get our house in order, and stomp on Korea starting in 1589.

This is a decision the kami can get behind, as the Cherry Blossom Festival of 1585 is an amazing success.

158504CherryBlossoms_zps906ea557.jpg

On retrospect perhaps I should have taken the Admin points, but gold is hard to resist. It can buy many pretty things, such as one temple (Tax +1) and 5 constables (Local Tax +20%)

In December 1580 we get our claim on Gangwon, Korea. This completes our mission for +5 prestige and +25 Military Power. I forget what I choose for our next mission, which should show you how important it is.

We also form a coalition against Korea because, hey, our diplomat was bored.

This does not sit well with some of our ministers, who think perhaps that's a little much.

158602GovernmentPolicies_zps54158b3b.jpg

I tell them that the Shogun is infallible and our stability falls to 0 as a result. It won't stay there.

Indeed, by July 1581 we've rallied somewhat. Our stability goes back to +1, and new thinkers arise. (random new advisor) Among them is a naval advisor who wants too much money to join me. Thanks anyway.

The Year of Three Shoguns

This is the last decision our shogun makes, as over the winter he takes ill. In February 1587 it's time for young Katsuhito to try his luck.

158702NewRuler_zps8cebef9c.jpg

Unfortunately, Katsuhito's idea of military logistics involves our samurai carrying rice seeds and growing/harvesting as they march. This goes about as well as you'd expect.

158704Katsuhitoassassinated_zpsdce1d413.jpg

Unfortunately his brother, Kotohito, isn't any better.

158704NewRuler2_zps52dee472.jpg

The double-succession lowers our stability to -1, which is going to tie up our precious Admin points for awhile, especially since Kotohito tries to reform the administration by having all reports published in haiku.

Rice worth ten koku
Lost in fight with giant bot,
Robotech to blame.

Still, faltering logistics force our commanders stationed in Korea to get much more creative about feeding their men.

158802LandTech_zpscd8d1dd5.jpg

Unfortunately, the clan daimyo figure out our new shogun isn't quite the thing. Mumblings escalate to duels, duels to skirmishes, and it looks like we might be heading for Sengoku Part II.

158803CivilDisorder_zps2186d316.jpg

I believe the term is "Hell no." We have our entire army in Korea: We can't afford any nonsense at home. We sure as heck can't afford to go to Stability -3.

Instead we weather the storm, going back to Stability 0 in May 1588. We're now just over a year from distracting our samurai with another war against Korea...

...and what could be better for restoring flagging morale than more taxes?

158902Taxes_zps6dc51336.jpg

I would have loved an option that said "No thanks" and raised stability, but so be it. Perhaps taxing the commoners into submission is good for the empire after all. It must be: Two more temples and two more constables come out of it.

Round Two

November 1589 rolls around, and it's time. First, let's see if Korea has picked up any friends.

158911FinishKoreaOff_zpsb69d5490.jpg

Right. Okay, I'm thinking two more wars with Korea. One to isolate their capital, the second to finish the job. My goal is what we would recognize as the Korean/Chinese border. Let Korea have the tundra for all I care.

We have 34 regiments, they have 13. Let's do this.

158911Round2Starts_zps3a8a77e9.jpg

As last time, the naval war breaks out almost immediately. Three of their barques meet five of ours, resulting in one of theirs being captured. Weeks later 20 of our barques annihilate one of theirs in the Yellow Sea.

As 1589 draws to a close we have four provinces under siege. The Korean army has grown to 20K, but so long as we can get both of our armies to meet theirs about the same time, we should be okay.

Next turn we'll finish them off quickly, so the turn after we can kick Korea off the peninsula. Right?

Johan's Dice

Reign: 10 years
Roll Needed: 3+
Roll: 1
Continue: No

No....

NO....

NO!!!!!!

No....

You get a crap admin 1 shogun. Japan will not colonize ... ever. Then the die says go. I wanted you to stay as Morocco. Now, I think you should overrule the die and stay as Japan. You are in the middle of a war with Korea.

You get a crap admin 1 shogun. Japan will not colonize ... ever. Then the die says go. I wanted you to stay as Morocco. Now, I think you should overrule the die and stay as Japan. You are in the middle of a war with Korea.
Rules are rules sadly. I'd find it incredibly trollish if he had to play Korea next though. :p

Disappointing, but that is how these games go sometimes. I'm curious to see where next.

Johann really does not enjoy letting you stay in a well off country. Morocco was quick Japan even faster. Wonder which nation will be next though.

I wonder who you'll get next.

Ah, rats. Still - he who lives by the die dies by the die... or something like that. Take solace in the knowledge that your new destination will be... how shall we say... interesting.

Gutted to see this stint end so quickly, particularly in the middle of a successful conflict. Hopefully you get another interesting country to lead next time around - another regional power which you can build on and have a fee options for expansion would be great.

This is the first AAR I've ever read, and it has been fantastic.
It's written well with nice humor. And I really like the dice randomization.
So I figured out how to subscribe on this forum. :)

Keep up the good work. Where will you end up next...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

First and foremost, Happy New Year to those of you who follow calendar reforms issued by the Papal Bull 'Inter gravissimas' issued by Pope Gregory XIII in 1582.

It must have been weird going to sleep on October 4, 1582 and waking up on October 15 - like the entire Catholic world went on a drunken binge and needed eleven days to recover...which, if you consider the Protestant Reformation was in full swing as well as the Eighty Years War, might be accurate.

Where were we? Oh! Comments.

eugene171: It's funny you should mention those guys...

Saintrl: It did, didn't it. Well, the Japanese SHOULD prevail. Even if they just white peace out, their foothold on the continent should hold.

Darkath: It did! I was starting to suspect the game was going to drive me into a last round of Sengoku wars, which is another reason I showed 'no tolerance' during civil disorder.

Chief Ragusa: No, I definitely wasn't going to colonize with an Admin-1 shogun.

Saintrl: I think I'd be in trouble if I took Korea next. Perhaps hire a whole slew of mercs and try to force the Japs into a climactic battle. I'm not sure.

Idhrendur: As am I. Hopefully not the Kongo.

Roflpotamus: Close! When I start the game I have my paint.net open. I also have a (paper) notepad where I write little notes as things happen. If there's something I think you should see, I'll take a screenshot (Print Screen, not Steam's version), paste it into Paint and make any changes. Then I'll go back to the game.

ArchimedesBird: I think the Byzzies are finally gone. There are still plenty of undesirable places to go though. Someone suggested Liege awhile back, or perhaps Aachen.

tnick0225: Let's find out.

AsdfeZxcas: Interesting name you have there! Again, let's find out.

Director: Oh yes, our new location is somewhere interesting.

Seelmeister: Gutted was about how I felt as well. My reaction at the end of the last post was more or less accurate. Still, Japan would have had two easy wars and then...not sure. Perhaps Johan has a soft spot for Korea.

No-Flag: Thank you and welcome aboard! There are plenty of other great AARs around here. Be sure to give them a look.

COMMENT: No update this time around. It's going to take a little thought and work to play out. Since I left last time without talking about our next project however (I wasn't in the mood to press the RNG after being tossed from Japan), I thought you'd be curious where our next stop is.

Apparently Johan pulled us out of Japan because He heard your requests to see a little of the colonial game.

159000RussiaTeaser_zpse560c21f.jpg

This is going to be interesting.