• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
tnick0225: Yemen is big, but a little awkward with the Red Sea in the way. The Ottos are amazing.

Chief Ragusa: Oddly enough the Mamluks aren't Shiite. The only Shiites on the board are Persia and Oman. It did feel a little weird destroying Tripoli. Even weirder that in the end it was so easy.

Nikolai: Mali's next after the Mamluks!

Stuyvesant: You're probably right about the statue. Oh well, maybe the next $660M can be mine. I think Morocco's large enough to stand the test of time now - so long as the AI doesn't do something insane.

DennisRoos: I'm not sure why I'm not discovering northern Mali. I would sort of expect them to be in the same 'map spread' group as I am. I suppose I really need a land border with them, or just do it the hard way and send an army through.

Director: Hm...owner of my own publishing company. I like that! I had thought about putting in a little scene where an older Tripolitanian recognized 'me', but figured I'd just stick to the conquest.

Chief Ragusa: Yes, but then we need an Afrika Korps!

CHAPTER VIII: MOROCCO
Part 3: The Desert Hyena
(1575-1580)

Alexandria or Bust

It is early 1575, and our next target is what's left of the Mamluk Empire. After the beating they received from Yemen and the Ottos, they're really nothing more than a rump state. An annoying one that likes to insult us. Well, we might as well give them a reason to hate us.

We begin forging a claim on Libya on the former Tripolitanian border. Their agents are ready and discover our trickery just days later. Nonetheless the seed is planted and our diplomats continue working. We bring our 23K army and fleet of 30 back to Tobruk and stare across the desert sands at 9 regiments of Mamluks.

Merchants report we have a competitive advantage (+10% trade steering). Well, considering we've stormed across North Africa like a general whose name rhymes with 'Pommel', I should certainly hope so.

In July 1575 Burgundy demolishes the rebel Netherlands, reducing them to a 2PM. Stay tuned.

By October we begin coring Tunis: Tripoli and Sirt are still in progress. Then, in January, we get our claim and CB on the Mamluks. Will the Ottos join us? Their truce has expired, so yes. Now the big question: Can we take the Mamluks? Well, since those 9K on my border IS their army, then yes.

Hm...let's get very methodical about what we want here.

157603DoWMamluks_zpsab866a9b.jpg

What we don't want is a land border with Yemen or the Ottos. Given how spread out and far from home they are, I might be able to handle Yemen, but the Ottos have 144 regiments to my 23. No. Alexandria's somewhat rich, has a trade node I can build out of, and I hear has an awesome library.

What do you mean it's destroyed? Well, all the more reason for us peace loving Moroccans to go protect what's left!

In March 1576 we declare war on the Mamluks along with our Ottoman buddies. Our stability drops to -1 and we can't do anything about it for now but hope the rebels stay quiet. Before the end of the month we've sieged Libya as the Mamluk army retreats. We blockade the Mamluk fleet of 18 warships and march on El Alamein. They retreat again, but the Turk is on the case as well: 26,000 men enter Cairo, encounter the Mamluk army and obliterate it. By August all of Mamluk territory west of the Sinai is under siege and we've fought only one battle, that against freshly trained recruits.

It's really over except for the peace treaty. A large Otto army shows up in Alexandria so we storm it in October as well as Libya. I think it's time for peace, but the Mamluks haven't quite realized they've lost yet. Oh well. They'll learn.

In December merchants complain about a lack of protection. I tell them I'm protecting them from Mamluk conspirators. They don't believe me for -10% TE and TR for six months.

Two more provinces fall in December, followed by Judea to the Ottos in January 1577. Oddly enough they abandon the siege of Cairo just as we move in and build up in their little enclave near what will be the Suez.

In March Aswan falls, and with it the last Mamluk resistance. It's over:

157703WeWin_zps19e8d04b.jpg

Scrambling for Peace

The good news: By October 1577 all of what was Tripoli has cored. There are two wrong culture provinces, easily fixed.

The bad news: We're still at -1 stability, and while Libya only costs 15 ADM to core, we don't have enough for Alexandria. This means we need to wait. I do hire an inquisitor, Abdullah Skah (Missionary Chance +2% +1 Adm point) to help speed things along and by January 1578 we're back at +0 stability.

So, where to next? Despite being short changed in the last war the Ottos LOVE us (+200 relations), Spain thinks we're alright (+53), and after sending a diplomat and granting them military access (Only God knows why they wanted it), the Portugese tolerate us (+19). Apologies to everyone who wanted a de/rereconquista, but without those advanced troops I *still* don't want to fight the Christians. Indeed, next on the agenda is probably our high attrition war with Mali.

This does not sit well with a traveller however, who goes so far as to call us the enemy of Mohammed for conquering the North African coast. Well, we can't have that...

157812Blasphemer_zps3eefe0ee.jpg

Just in case the Christians get stupid though, we build another 10 galleys and 6 carracks to bring our total fleet (including trade defending caravels) to around 50. Now we're just waiting for 146 ADM points to begin coring Alexandria, then I'll feel safe enough to start another war.

Hm...the Papacy's down to three provinces and in a war themselves. Then again, they still have Spain as an ally. Hm...

In September 1579 the Ottos decide to do away with any boredom we have as they declare war on Lithuania, Genoa (who only owns Kaffa), Gotland, Austria and Ansbach. Yemen can't help this time as they've DoWed the Mamluks. That leaves us.

There's not much we can do by land: We simply don't have the army. At sea however.. The Ottos are already dealing with the Genoese fleet, so we send 12 ships to the Austrians' sole port to blockade their 7, while 34 go the Straits of Gibraltar in case Gotland tries anything. Everyone else is landlocked and the war in the Crimean steppes heats up quickly.

While this develops I begin coring Alexandria in November. As the year turns I look around and spot a surprise:

157912Burgundy_zps3648d4e2.jpg

Luxembourg must be smiling now.

So, next turn: Mali, and then...

Johan's Dice

Reign: 17 years
Roll Needed: 4+
Roll: 2
Continue: No

Never mind.

INTERLUDE VI: (1580)

Rats. Granted I wasn't looking forward to a war with Mali considering we still haven't discovered any of those provinces, but I'm more afraid of where Johan might put us next.

Please don't let it be Burgundy..

At least we're leaving Morocco in great shape. Not bad for a single generation!

158001Morocco_zps1fcd5319.jpg

Nothing much everchanges in western Africa. Perhaps they have the right idea...

158001Mali_zps3125a098.jpg

Similarly, the Mughal golden age seems to have passed when we left. On the other hand, they're not losing ground either.

158001Mughals_zps2d36da01.jpg

We can take some cold comfort in knowing Ayutthaya finally finished off Lan Xang. You will not be forgotten. In our nightmares.

Asia does have a new kid in town which could eventually be trouble.

158001Russia_zps0d7bd466.jpg

At least Russia's colonizing! Portugal and Spain aren't even trying. I think Portugal's only gain over the past 20 years is Jamaica. I imagine Spain's too busy fighting its continental wars, but I have no idea what Portugal's excuse is.

I suppose we should see how Europe is doing:

158001Europe_zps16c38752.jpg

Looks like someone put the Teutons out of their misery. Burgundy's getting stomped, and of course the Ottos have a nasty war developing in the Crimea. Savoy's holding on, though Saxon Emperor Rudolf V is still hanging in there as well.

So, okay Johan. Where to now? Burgundy? The Iroquois? Hey, how about Kongo?

158001Japan_zps24a1c229.jpg

Interesting...

Well Morocco didn't last too long...but long enough to run over north africa. Sad that you didn't get go play with Mali though. Interesting developments in Burgundy, looks like they're going to get cut down in size!

The next country Japan looks interesting. Need to conquer or annex Date to unify the lands and then perhaps invade the Koreans? Definitely looking forward to seeing where you take Japan.

The most successful stint yet. Portugal is next to Morocco. Could have westernised. I would have liked to see you do that as Morocco. The Ottomans are a bit powerful.

A moment's silence for the Teutonic Order and Lan Xang. The Livonian Order is doing quite well. Sweden's getting squeezed. Shame about Burgundy.

You've had more success with 'M' states - Morocco, Mali and Mughals: and less (make that none) with 'L' -Luxembourg and Lan Xang.

On to Japan. Well, it's formed. Looks like you'll be going on a date and a shotgun marriage. The traditional approach is Korea and China. An alternative would be to conquer the islands, including Ryuku -wouldn't want them to conquer the world.
Did I mention I wish you'd stayed with Morocco?

From 'Lawrence of Arabia' to 'Shogun', the CatKnight Film Fest continues!

What you do with Date depends on its current relationship to Japan, of course. But Korea is always calling... Hmmm. That's a big Korea!

...and of course the Ottos have a nasty war developing in the Crimea.

And all was right in the world. :) To this date, if I see a mention of Crimea and war in an EU context, I'm still instantly reminded of Justin Timberlake's Cry Me A River. ;)

Job well done with Morocco. A North African empire that, if it stays on the good side of the Ottomans and doesn't attract the attention of Iberian powers, should have a great chance to stand the test of time. And now Japan... Having never played in that neck of the woods, I have no idea what kind of advice to give you. But unifying the Home Islands should be a modest place to start.

Fantastic progress with Morocco, definitely sad to see your North African reign cut short. The last two rolls of a '3' and '2' suggests that Johan really didn't want you playing Morocco - he played as them in a recent developers video maybe it's his personal demesne?! In any event, you've left behind what looks like quite a sustainable Empire, provided the Iberians don't come knocking.

Japan ought to make for an interesting game, and with the northern third of the Isles out of your control the initial priority is clear!

Concerning the map spread, if I remember correctly, it spreads between similar technology groups. Means, if Mali is still in the sub-Saharan Tech-Group and Morroco in the Muslim-Group they don't exchange maps, so to speak, so that map spread can take a long time.

Ah well Japan. Great position, great opportunities. Which means Johann - praised be he in his 'random' numbered glory - will let you have a look on it, play it for a few years an then punish you for thinking he was nice! With Liege for example...

I think you accomplished as much as you could hope for as Morocco. Another turn would just turn out to be another beating up on the Mamluks and that would be boring. Now Japan! As you said this really looks interesting. I would be rubbing my hands together in anticipation if I were you!

Wow, this is awesome! Will it be okay if I make a thread with a similar concept, about choosing a random country every now and then?
I would of course refer to you as my source of inspiration.

Last edited:
Japan!

History might well repeat, as after Hideyoshi established control over all Japan he followed with a powerful invasion of Korea en route to China (the Imjin War, or Korean War). By devastating Korea and seriously weakening the Ming, Japan created conditions favorable for the Manchu expansion. Hideyoshi did not last very long - Japan turned on itself and fought over the succession until there was an ultimate victor.

Then they never troubled their neighbors again . . . .

tnick0225: Mali was always a little bit of a longshot due to the long transit/attrition times since their provinces were Terra Incognita. Morocco should be in a strong position going forward though. Japan...let's see.

Chief Ragusa: I checked after you wrote that, and wonder if the Westernization rules have changed in EU4. I thought we had to be more than 20 tech levels behind to westernize, but it didn't say that on the tooltip. I loaded as Morocco one last time, but couldn't get it started due to overextension...and no, Ryukyu will not rule the world this game.

Director: It IS a big Korea, but do they have the Mandate of Heaven?

Stuyvesant: Unifying the homelands is pretty much mandatory. Fortunately with only one clan left that shouldn't be too hard. I'll be curious to see how 'Cry Me a River' works out.

Saintrl: The colonial game as a change of pace was my first thought.

Bguy32: Difficult. Desirable, but difficult. At the start of this turn I had an army of 34,000. While we were gone Ayutthaya ate almost all of Sumatra and have an army of 44,000. We'll see what we can do, though I may have to hope I get Ming China at some point to properly deal with them.

Seelmeister: I saw that video! Yes, perhaps Johan was afraid I'd upstage him in Morocco and so pushed me out.

McGrey: That's what worries me a little about Japan: I won't get much done because of the die rolls. Let's find out.

Storey: Japan has some great potential. Their army is quite large for their size, though Korea and Ming are larger nations. On the map at least. Perhaps I can cause some trouble in Indonesia as well...

Vs 002: Of course! Enjoy. The only suggestion I'd make is to take Director's advice back during my Luxembourg days about being ready to declare a Mulligan and reroll/choose again. You wouldn't want to be caught with say no neighbors.

Sir Garnet: No, Japan never bothered their neighbors again. :cool:

CHAPTER IX: JAPAN
Part 1: Call me Hideyoshi
(1580-1585)

Konnichiwa

Konnichiwa! Welcome, gaijin scum to our humble nation! For the last 140 years we have been plagued by rogue samurai, ronin, ninja, radioactive monsters and even the occasional mecha, but the shadow over the Chrysanthemum Throne has passed.

158001JapanSetup_zps99fa7f12.jpg

We, the Ashikaga, hold the Shogunate as we have for 250 years! So great is our wealth that we can afford three advisors and keep them!

Even the Date (DA-tay) realize their error and kneel to us. In our mercy we've allowed them some autonomy until 1581, at which point the island will once again be whole. We don't have to do a thing but wait.

In 1576 we conquered Ryukyu, whose island shamans held mad dreams of taking over the world. Our other neighbors are Korea and China.

The Joseon of Korea, who take too much pride in having conquered the Manchu, now claim their emperor is superior to ours. We have a mission to deal with this affront by establishing a beachhead on the south.

We have a rivalry and embargo versus the Ming Chinese. They are, of course, decadent and weak, but there is no need to antagonize them. As my grandfather wrote:

When fighting dragons,
Bring soap for them to wash with,
And deodorant.

We cancel the rivalry, but keep the embargo as it's a major factor in our current economic dominance. We will send a diplomat, though, to soothe any ruffled...scales.

Our initial plan was to annex the Date then, rather than go to war, wait for enough Admin to take Exploration Ideas and begin exploring. We are well aware of legends of a far off desert kingdom that warred so much they could not invest in Admin and so could not fight their tribal neighbors.

Alas, it is not to be. Even if all went well, it would be 23 years before we hit Admin-10 and can begin. We will probably not be here. Johan commands us to fight, and fight we shall!

Incorporating Date

As the clock starts we discover the secrets of reiters (Military-10), which opens up new artillery using gunpowder obtained from the Chinese. Due to their ignorance, this makes the peasants uppity so we enforce their place in the celestial order for -25 Admin points.

Fortunately a new generation of samurai are graduating from their clan dojos, samurai who understand more than just ceremony and warfare.

158005NewSamurai_zps21a92397.jpg

We also send monks to Ryukyu to convince them that animism, where they worship animal spirits, is not nearly as enlightened as Shinto, where we worship the spirits of pretty much everything. They quickly grasp their error and convert in August 1580.

In January 1581 the Date fully join our empire! It is with a heavy heart that we once more conclude colonization will not happen in the near future. That only leaves the repaying of old debts, old insults.

Korean Dinner

158104Korea_zpsc3f74a67.jpg

Our fleet is larger: 48 ships, including 20 barques securing trade from the Chinese coast. Our army is mighty: 34 regiments to perhaps 19 for Korea. Only our transports are lacking, so the plan is to send 7 regiments at a time, as quickly as we can. The Koreans have 10,000 in their capital and we don't want a contested landing.

It's not.

The Koreans stand still as we declare war in April 1581, land troops in May, and continue reinforcing them through the summer and autumn. Our superior tactics and Imperial pride lead to a wave of innovation good for -5% tech costs until 1586. This, in turn, leads to Diplomacy-9 (Carracks & Caravels), improved naval morale, colonial range, and the chance to eventually renovate our navy.

Their army may be immobile, but at least the Korean navy shows some courage. Battles immediately break out with their trading ships in the South Korean Sea, and we capture one. In October two galleys try to intercept our own trading fleet to their doom.

158201WarProgress_zps72cd5791.jpg

This will not be a quick war. Perhaps it could be if we were more aggressive and took more risks, but there is nothing to be gained but time. When we successfully landed our entire army on Korean soil the war's result was preordained. It will simply take awhile for the Koreans to realize it.

In January 1582 we grant export licenses to our favored clans for their loyalty in the last few generations of warfare. (-10 Legitimacy, +10% Tax Modifier). Gyeonsang falls in May, leading to yet another naval battle as ships flee port. We capture two and chase the rest into the Yellow Sea.

By August the Koreans finally rallied 17,000 men in their capital. Jeolla falls, and in an attempt to confound us the Koreans move an army to Gyeonsang.

A small army. All artillery. What do you think happened?

158301WarProgress_zps9cdc225c.jpg

We send back the artillery commander's head with a note to let us know when they're serious about defending. By September we take two more provinces and begin hinting about peace, but they're having none of it. We chase their fleet some more.

With both armies free, we set about marching on Gyeoaggi, the Korean capital and engage their army. On a cool day in October they meet our 30,000 with their 17. For once they bloody our army, but not enough. Not nearly enough. They leave 7,400 dead to our 6,000 and flee into the Manchu tundra.

158401WarProgress_zps011ac87d.jpg

In January 1584 we make a 'diplomatic move', summarily replacing our diplomats for their failure to make the Joseon see reason. (+30 Dip power)

This war, as low intensity as it has been for the most part, has been a chance for our best and brightest to try new ideas. We invest in Innovation Idea-3 (Scientific Revolution) for -5% Tech cost.

Yet, it is written that when everyone grows complacent, that is when a true leader needs to be his most vigilant. So it is when the Korean army reemerges and attacks our northern army in Hwanghae. Our southern army counterattacks forcing them into another unfavorable battle. This time there is no escape: By April 1584 the entire Korean army is either dead, captured, or irrevocably broken.

And still their ships fight! They never win a battle, but they never surrender as we chase them from port to port. We take the capital in May: They fight. We take Hwanghae in November: They fight and we capture a barque and transport. Their admiral is the only Korean worth fighting. This we tell the Korean emperor, along with sending our demands. The war is already over 3 years old, and we should make sure the Ashikaga profit before the Almighty Johan sends us away!

158411Peace_zps114b8c1e.jpg

It is over.

Our army will not go home. There is no need. Instead we set up in southern Korea: Two provinces to be cored, the third to be shown the truth of Shinto and the lies of Confucius. Our diplomats also begin forging a claim on Gangwon, already preparing for the next war. Korea responds by founding a coalition against us: More fool they.

And so we offer our prayers and burn incense to placate Johan, and ask to stay. We cannot fight the Koreans next turn, but we can prepare - and there is always the possibility of a southern adventure.

Johan's Dice

Reign: 5 years
Roll Needed: 2+
Roll: 4
Continue: Yes

Domo arigato.

Last edited:
I am slightly ruffled that Japan decided to invade Korea instead of peacefully colonizing their surroundings beating the Russians to Alaska MAGICAL CALIFORNIA...

Brilliant start! The war against Korea was, perhaps surprisingly, very straightforward. However, Japan will now have to contend with an revanchist Korea, expansion in any other direction will likely become a two front war. Will the hermit Kingdom survive your reign on the chrysanthemum throne?

Very nice start with Japan, quick war with Korea, and integrating Date. Looking like your time in Japan could end up being quite successful!