• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah. Moguls. Even better, you get to stay to start the conquest of India.

The Moguls ought have cores on everyone in India.

That was also my first thought when he created the Mughal Empire! India is the way to go! But it just looks too easy. I don't like it I smell a trap... Anyone want to bet that there is a revolt or two coming CatKnight's way?

Again, sorry for the delay. I'd hoped for two updates this weekend, but I lost my Internet for a day - which was more of a setback than it had any right to be. I think we're growing too fond of our computer masters...

dodedo: Very true, though that's some coalition built up down there. I think the RNG and the Indians disagree.

Jedadia959: Quite possible. I like RPGs, so I know all about dice with more than six sides.

Orlov Kruskayev: The game is definitely worth it. This is easily the strongest version of the EU series.

tnick0225: Yeah, I took a long look at the die roll and thought: "Really?"

Nikolai: The RNG never leaves you in a country too long, nor too short. It lets you leave right on time.

Chieron: It'd be funny if I get bounced back to the Mughals before this is over.

OsirisDeath: Yeah, that Afghan revolt didn't amount to much. I guess the harsh measures worked.

Chief Ragusa: Unfortunately no, no cores. I still have claims from my Timurid days, but no cores.

McGrey: Welcome! The Amerindians are one possibility. In fact, as you'll see later, the Spanish are about to make first contact...

verdas: Now that's something I could have done: Invade through Persia's back door and stomp on Arabia. Oh well.

Stuyvesant: I imagine Johan would be amused if I'd just burned the Mughals to the ground again. Again, maybe next time.

InnocentIII: I did think long and hard about that. Let's see what happened.

Storey: Only two??

CHAPTER V: MUGHALS
Part 6: Discretion (1535-1540)

Into the Sunset

I will have to disappoint a number of you. I did not conquer India. In the end I didn't even conquer Delhi. Oh, I wanted to, but I also wanted that coalition (Oirats, Chagatai, Gujarat, Delhi, Jaunpur, Nepal, Orissa, Equestria and several Eve Online guilds) to weaken just a little and it never happened.

So, what did happen?

Well, in an effort to break the coalition I first guaranteed Delhi, then removed them as a rival, then even sent a diplomat to improve their relations. After awhile I realized it wasn't working: Even with the diplomat's bonus I was still at around -250, so I looked elsewhere. I poked at Gujarat for awhile, who really was too busy with Marathas, Orissa and Ahmendangar to worry about me anyway: No dice. Nepal was Delhi's ally as well as a coalition member, so no dice there. Orissa...Orissa should have worked. We were at some +40 relations when the turn ended and they didn't have the 'outraged' malus against me, but.. Alas.

We did increase our army some more: From 40 to 52 regiments. That's 12 over our land force limit, but the Timurids Mughals have enough money to cover that easily. We also took Administration-7 (Noble Republic), which in turn opened up Offensive Ideas. In preparation for the war that never happened, we took Offensive-1 (Bayonet Leaders, +1 Shock) and, for the laughs, Trade-4 (National Trade Policy, +10% Trade Effectiveness).

Fars and Multan converted to the true faith. Multan cored. Several Uzbek cultured provinces who liked me anyway became Indians, while several Turkemenistani cultured provinces are now in the process of following them.

We did have two revolts - which amounted to little but delays. Yemen asked us to help in a war with Oman and Hedjaz, but since our naval fleet still consists of one barque, we pretty much sat at home and relaxed.

I had one last chance to deal with Delhi: Ahmendengar, Nepal and Delhi all declared war on tiny OPM Gondwana. So I go to Delhi telling them to stop the war or I'll join Gondwana: Won't work, as I need +100 relations with Gondwana, who currently dread and fear me.

Well, dread and fear is good, but not when I'm trying to sneak around the coalition mechanics. Guarantee. Royal Marriage. Improve Relations. All while the Gondwanan capital falls about their ears. The war began in December 1537: By May 1538 we were allies, and I kept waiting for them to ask me to help.

Of course not.

Finally, with our relations at +85 in July, Ahmedengar wiped Gondwana off the map. Nice.

So, not much happened. So little in fact that I neglected to take pictures WAITING for something to happen.

We can do better.

Johan's Dice

Reign: 30 years
Roll: 5
Needed: 6+
Continue?: No

But it won't be here.

Last edited:
INTERLUDE IV: (1540)

And so, at long last, we leave the Mughal Empire behind. They are the strongest state in the region. Only a coalition could take them down, and with Kazakh and Yemen as allies that's unlikely to materialize.

154001Mughal_zpsb196c6ea.jpg

As we look around the rest of the world, we can see how our former hosts are doing.

Mali took out Hausa's coastal holding at one point, but otherwise their borders have been stable since we left in 1465. No Euros anywhere.

154001Mali_zpsfbe0b169.jpg

Our favorite little hell hole is still alive, and just as hopeless.

154001LanXang_zpscf1f2cdf.jpg

As we check in on Tripoli, two interesting things to note:

First, Castile capitulated to Aragon, which means we have a very powerful Spain.

Second, notice that little purple dot where Rhodes should be.

154001Tripoli_zps0298e668.jpg

That's right! Venice lost a war and had to release them. The Purple Turkeys live again!

In fact, let's pan out and take a look at the rest of Europe:

154001Europe_zpsedaba709.jpg

France is a mess, but at least now it's an organized mess. England finished off the short lived Kingdom of Ireland. Norway and Denmark have all but finished off Sweden. The Teutonic Order is on its last legs, whie the Livonians are going strong.

Not shown: Somehow (German) Munster managed to pry Iceland away.

You know, that's a very powerful Spain. I wonder if colonization will finally improve. I believe I've mentioned before that colonization is now significantly behind schedule: Nothing in Africa. Spain and Portugal have small enclaves in South America. Portugal's taken Hispaniola. Then I noticed this:

154001NAmerica_zpse2d2f65b.jpg

That'll end badly for someone.

But will it for us? It's time to see where Johan would like us to visit next.

154001Savoy_zps90159664.jpg

Hm. We'll need to think about this one.

Lol interesting world...that is one gigantic Spain though! And go figure that Johan would place you in Savoy but that may be an interesting place in more ways then one with no France.

Looking forward to seeing how his works out for you.

That Mughal thing ended a bit like a damp squib - no last dramatic expansion wrought in the flaming inferno of an Indian-subcontinent-wide war, and conversely no spectacular implosion. Just... sort of responsible, measured, mature. I will not say 'underwhelming', but that's mostly because my own playing style is even less energetic. ;)

Now, Savoy. Squished between a powerful Burgundy and an even more powerful Spain. This is promising. :) I'm very interested in your relations with those powerful neighbors - whether they be friend or foe will have a dramatic impact on the course of your game.

But regardless of that, Savoy looks like a decent mid-sized Western power. And you can probably run northeast and beat up on the Swiss, if everything else fails.

EDIT: Did I read that right that Storey correctly predicted the number of revolts in Mughalistan? That bugs me for no good reason whatsoever. :p

Last edited:
Well that was an anti-climax. I think you ought to have gone to war with the coalition. Guaranteeing Gondwana before they got attacked would have done the trick. I think it sucks that you don't have cores on most of India. You almost got to stay.

Savoy looks large enough to have a decent sized army and just not large enough to fight off Burgundy or Spain should they come calling. Naturally, Spain and Burgundy will be allies. Be hilarious if you start off at war -Johan's fight damn you fight.
You could have been Iroquois with Spain for a neighbour. That would have been as much fun as Bengal.

Savoy looks actually quite decent. Not to easy, because there are some big kids around that will bully you, but on the other hand there are still some opportunities. I would say either go into Italy (Swiss and Milan) but than you have to take care of (or join) the HRE or Armagnac -> Brittany -> France (than even Burgundy should be manageable) of course the biggest problem than would be Spain. Thinking about it, couldn't Savoy form Sardinia-Piedmont?

Subbed and enjoying this. There is a lot to be said for dice discipline. I have long liked switching countries, but upon the completion of a goal (turning a country around, restoring its fortunes, winning a war, controlling key territory) change of ruler, or other milestone, and only semi-randomly choosing the next one that needs some work. Recent examples have been establishing a loyal ring of Ming tributaries vassals plus one ally, building up Persia to a secure position. Dare I have the iron nerves to RNG it?

Last edited:
Still a lot of possibilities for Savoy. Switzerland looks weak, as well as Milan. You can work with this.

EDIT: Did I read that right that Storey correctly predicted the number of revolts in Mughalistan? That bugs me for no good reason whatsoever. :p

Before the advent of digital clocks we had a saying. "Even a broken clock is right twice a day". I tend to follow the same pattern but without the enviable frequency. I will go out on a limb and comment that CatKnight, with Savoy, has a plethora of possibilities and none of them are good for France…

tnick0225: Spain is huge! And it's worth remembering it's Aragon who persevered, not Castile - probably because Aragorn successfully invaded France and held onto Sicily. Definitely alot of possibilities here.

Stuyvesant: True, the Mughals ended too quietly. I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not taking more risks, but I found that huge coalition daunting. I hope they'll be okay. With Spain and Burgundy around, I doubt staying quiet for long will be an option.

Chief Ragusa: If I'd known they were going after Gondwana I would have: Oh well, too late. You're right: At least this is better than the Iroquois.

McGrey: Your ideas formed the core of my strategy. We'll look at them in more detail shortly.

Sir Garnet: I'd say RNG it and see what happens. Of course, the RNG might put you somewhere nowhere near your Ming tributaries, or worse in a hopeless spot (or even a spot with nothing to do like Kongo.)

tapewormlondon: Glad you're enjoying it. Welcome!

GreatUberGeek: Yeah, Switzerland's high on my list of countries to disappear. Those borders are just ugly.

blasteg: Johan is generous!

Storey: France consists of four provinces. I don't think ANYTHING would be good for them at this point short of Burgundy melting down.

Actually, I expect Burgundy to finish off France at some point, then BECOME France.

CHAPTER VI: SAVOY
Part 1: Fight Damn You! (1540-1545)

Greetings

Welcome to Savoy!

I needed to take a little longer than you might think to get comfortable with Savoy. Load up. Take a few pictures. Turn it off and think for awhile. Despite (or perhaps of) being a somewhat large country the situation here is a bit complex.

King Carlo di Savoie (A1 D4 M3) isn't very good. His heir Vittorio has his own problems (A3 D1 M6), but I'm hoping that military will help me if we're here for a few turns.

We have all sorts of nice little modifiers, and the AI's done a tolerable job of taking care of the place. For example, the Liquor Act and Scales/Weights/Measures combines for +10% Tax. We're a happy, loyal member of the HRE which also has its perks, and we're in the midst of the Counter Reformation.

Speaking of which, how are the Proddies doing?
154001Protestants_zpsa81c0b1d.jpg

Not too bad. Armagnac and Switzerland are both Protestant - something to keep an eye on as we start the clock.

Diplomatically our part of the world is involved in a bit of a standoff. Burgundy doesn't like me or Spain. Spain and England seem to be looking for reasons to pounce on Burgundy. We have a CB on Spain I never plan to use unless they collapse. Armagnac is a pawn - allied with England (and Milan), and no doubt Spain and Burgundy will notice if and when I pay them a visit.

About four years ago we finished up a war with Bavaria, Hamburg, Hesse, Switzerland and Utrecht for reasons that no doubt made sense at the time. We have a solid alliance of our own consisting of Brandenburg, Palatinate, Wurtemburg, Mantua, Milan and Tuscany.

Wait. We're fighting Burgundy??

154001SavoySetup_zpsa5d47bbe.jpg

Guess what? We're getting out of this war as soon as we can. Not shown, but of vital importance is that I've fought every single battle of this campaign: A campaign which would net Ferrara for Tuscany and squat for Savoy.

Do you know what they call it when you do all the work, but they get all the reward? Being an Apple employee.

I have merchants steering trade in Alexandria, Ragusa and Constantinople. And collecting nowhere. I've read that I might collect from my 'home' node anyway, but it has to be more efficient if I move a merchant there. And perhaps use my caravels to protect the trade: They probably fled to port when the Tuscan war started.

Short term, we have no mission. The easiest one seems to be converting Wallis province to Lombard culture, so we'll work on that while looking for something to do.

As you know, I went into the Timurids with a plan to change tag. Well, I have two possibilities for Savoy:

1) Form Sardinia/Piedmont: The problem here is Sardinia, which is currently owned by Spain. Again, barring a complete collapse I'm not going to provoke them.

2) Form Italy: This requires Lombardia (Milan), Firenze and Ancona (Tuscany), Siena and Rome (Papal) all to be owned and cored. This might actually be easier.

While I'm getting everything just so, I guess I better see how the Empire is doing:

154001HRE_zpsa0fc37ba.jpg

New plan! I'm going for Emperor!

Imperial Ambitions

First, we get out of the Tuscan war by conceding Burgundian superiority. Whatever guys.

Second, we have 8/6 allowed Dip relations. Six of these are my RM/Allies, and I don't want to give them up. Two are MA through Hungary and Switzerland. Again, it probably made sense at the time, but not anymore.

We were getting a +1 Dip bonus thanks to our theologian, but at 2 gold/month he's too expensive. He gets sent back to Rome, but not before I pass the Advancement of Religion Act (+1 RR, +1% Missionary).

Third, we move our merchant to Genoa, and tell our caravel captains to protect trade.

Fourth, Burgundy asks for MA. Don't push it, pal.

Emperor. This is great! I can do so much damage many good things as emperor. Mainz is at least willing to consider the possibility I'd be better than a heretic, so I send a diplomat there. I then ponder Armagnac's fate.

Armagnac is allied with England and Milan. The former I don't care about: Yes, England is strong in this game, but I'm thinking not enough for a determined continental push. Milan... Milan is an elector, and I don't want to anger them. On the other hand, they already like me more than Armagnac, so might just stay out of the war. Armagnac is also lodged between Spain, Burgundy and Brittany (PUed with Spain), so hurting them is likely to antagonize some powerful neighbors. Still, it's something to do, so let's move our army towards the border.

In February we hit Admin-10. This opens up another idea slot. We already have Trade (Dip) and Economic (Admin) ideas, so let's throw a military in there. You've probably already guessed I really like the Offensive Ideas line for that +1 Leader Shock, but we'll change it up a bit and go for Aristocratic. After all, this is supposedly where the romantic chivalric code took hold thanks to medieval court bards. This also lets us pass the Conventicle Act (+1% Missionary Chance, -1 Tolerance of Heretics). This is my first time in EU4 playing through the Protestant Reformation, I might as well go all in.

Speaking of heretics condemned to hell, it appears we have reformists in Nice. Unfortunately they have religious zeal, which prevents easy conversion back to the true faith. We send Vittorio down there to explain the tortures that await them.

154002Secret_zps67d09368.jpg

Oh dear.

We do pick up a new ally! Spain! I'm over the number of Dip relations I can have again, but with Spain who cares? We'll do everything together! Have a few drinks. Talk about our wives/girlfriends/lovers/cattle. Play EU4. Stomp on OPMs. It'll be great!

In August I find out Mainz now favors me for the imperial throne: Awesome. Let's see how old Emperor Rudolf is anyway. Hopefully there's an election soon! Then I can...

What do you mean he's nine!? If this were CK2 I'd set him up for a methane bomb or to fall out of a tower, but apparently we're too civilized for that. My God, what's happened to the world?

OK, you know what? New plan (again). Forget Armagnac. I just forged a claim on Limousin, but who cares. The Holy Roman Emperor is nine fricking years old. I think I can take him. Ah, my truce with Switzerland has expired. Forge a claim on Waldstatte, then go over and deal with them. They're Protestant, their borders are ugly in this game, their allies (Papacy, Augsburg, Aachen) aren't worth talking about, they're mine.

Swiss Cheese

154111DoWSwitz_zps5c85e673.jpg

In November 1541 we declare war on Switzerland. Their allies rather foolishly pile in. Then again, so do mine. Within days it's SAVOY, Brandenburg, Brittany, Mantua, Spain, Palatinate vs. SWITZERLAND, Aachen, Augsburg and the Pope.

Wait: Why's the Pope allied with Protestants? Infallible my ***.

Right. Where we we? Well, what you don't see up there is the main Swiss army. I caught a glimpse of it as I was moving my army over: It's almost the same size as mine since Augsburg's attached to it. They're probably in Menningen, the southern province in Ulm, because that's their war target. Yes, they're also fighting Mainz, Wurtemburg and Ulm.

Obviously since svip's EU3 AAR we have an obligation to protect Ulm, so in we go.

By December we've found the main army:

154112MainArmyFound_zps2aa555e7.jpg

They dicker about in Wurtemburg for awhile, primarily to beat up on the Wurtemburg army and give Aachen's time to catch up. This swells their army to some 20K, which descends on my army in Bern. Fortunately, Palatinate's attached 7K to my 3K there, which gives them enough staying power to hold while my main army moves in.

On April 28, 1542, the two armies collide.

154204BreakSwissArmy_zps377dbaf2.jpg

A follow up battle eradicates the Swiss field army in May. By July Brittany and I have completely occupied the Swiss cantons. Augsburg makes one last attempt to cause trouble for Ulm, but Mainz shows up with 11K. The Papacy, the only Swiss ally worth talking about, is completely occupied by Spain. It's all over except for the lamentations of their women.

In January 1543, Wallis converts to Lombard culture. Bresigau, Waldstatte, St. Gallen, Zurich and Bern fall before the spring thaw. This frightens the reformists in Nice enough to let our missionaries in.

Due to our chivalry while dealing with Swiss Protestants, we pick up Aristocracy-1 (Noble Knights: -20% Cav Cost) and later Trade-5 (Overseas Merchants: +1 Merchant). The latter goes to Tunis to steer more trade into Genoa.

In May, Switzerland surrenders.

154305PeaceSwitz_zps9a9af9d9.jpg

Yeah, I could've been more harsh: I could have taken Konstanz and Bresigau for myself. I still have outside hopes Emperor Rudolf will trip over a toy or something however, and don't want to frighten the Empire too badly. I kinda hoped Baden would be grateful: Not really.

There's a problem though: Spain occupied Waldstatte (through Brittany), so I couldn't ask for it. Which means St. Gallen and Zurich do not have a land border with me. Which means I can't core them. Which means the Emperor sends me a nastigram explaining that I have to return the territory to the HRE. Whereupon I tell the boy king what to do with himself once he hits puberty.

Both St. Gallen and Zurich are Protestant: I send missionaries to both, and between that and the boy emperor's mouthing off I have 30% RR in both. Milan gives me MA so I can get there if there's trouble.

1544 passes fairly quietly: I think my next plan, other than continuing my bid to be the next emperor, is to wait 5 years and finish off Switzerland: At the very least I need to get a land connection so I can core everything.

In August Nice converts to the one true faith: And what's one thing the Catholic Church has always been good at? Yep!

154402Bureaucracy_zpsbeefda18.jpg

Onward!

Johan's Dice

Reign: 5 years
Roll: 6
Needed: 2+
Continue?: Yes

Last edited:
This post is awesome. I had a some really good laughs. Keep up that humor!

And maybe you're get lucky and an exotic poisonous snake from the jungles of, oh I don't know, Lan Xang, finds it's way in little Rudolfs bed by it self. Such things happen...

I always find these 'switch nations' type of AARs to be the most fun to read. You're really lucking out with Spain being so friendly and the emperorship nearly yours. Good stuff!

Smart move getting out of a war with Burgundy. You were only in half the doodah I pictured Savoy being in. With Spain friendly, Armagnac will be yours. If Milan wants to support England, hello vassal.

I like the assessments and strategic approach with Savoy. The absence of a strong France and Spanish friendship is encouraging. Would the HRE project be a diplomatic offensive to sway the electorate or would force of arms be involved? And what do you do with the HRE if you gain the throne?