• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ouchers. Those rebels and their near-godlike leader... You might want to wait until you've invented the Maxim gun. Which, sadly, falls outside of the scope of the game.

Still: nice job waltzing into Tunis. You conquered it quickly enough, so that's nice. There might be some kind of hidden message, about starting wars in the Middle East being easy but getting out victoriously can be a lot harder, but I'm probably reading too much into that. ;)

Anyway, time to show those rebels who's boss. Not sure yet how you're going to do it, but I'm sure you'll succeed. Wait, maybe one of your helpful allies will march in a hunter-killer stack to take out the rebels? That would be nice of the AI, for a change.

Ouch, that is a very impressive rebel leader, it will not be cheap/ easy to put that down. However, it could always be worse, you could still be stuck in South East Asia...

Great update, Tripoli are a country with far more potential than Mali or Lan Xang, looking forward to seeing what direction you'll take them in.

OsirisDeath: I believe so, yes. I'm letting Steam update my EU4 automatically (for better or worse.)

Regardless of version, it was pretty unlucky - especially with that Shock 6 gorilla guerilla.

Nyvis: I guess they didn't like me being there.

Stuyvesant: My neighbors aren't feeling too helpful. Fortunately, Shaka is a busy Zulu/Tunisian.

Gen. Marshall: Nowadays I suppose that's true, but the older games had their equally annoying...er....charming features. I still remember one EU2 game where I'd reduced Austria to an OPM, turned my back for 5 seconds, and the events giving it control of Hungary and Bohemia fired turning it into a monster.

Seelmeister: Definitely more potential than Lan Xang. Mali...Mali had its charms, but I think in another war or two I would have finished off Kanem Bornu, then I'd have to wait for the Euros to find me.

Speaking of which, I've been keeping an eye on exploration - or the lack thereof. As of 1500 there's precisely one colony in South America, and none anywhere else including Africa. I'd have expected Portugal and Castile to be trying a little harder. We'll see.

CHAPTER III: TRIPOLI
Part 2: Vengeance Deferred (1495-1500)

They Stole My War

Meet the Tunisian Nationalists, or as I like to call them, Shaka Freaking Zulu and his Crimean Cutthroats.

149503Shaka_zps7cf45116.jpg

In March 1495 they take over Tunis, giving them 10 years of nationalism. I respond with 'Harsh Measures' promising 10 years of terror. It seems to even out.

Meanwhile, I use seven loans to buy two charge cavalry. I also start spamming military leaders until I find one with a Shock value I like: Mansur Emin (S3 F3 M1) takes over for Abu Bakr Asim (S1 F3 M1 Sg2), who goes into disgraced retirement for not being able to win a single battle. I take a moment to ask Morocco if they'd like military access so they can stomp on Shaka for me, but they're quite happy where they are thanks.

The mercenaries were a real mistake: I can see their value in a manpower strapped nation, but MP isn't my problem. Cash is, and it costs money to replenish merc regiments. I keep my army at half maintenance as they march into Morocco, then get ready to take the plunge when...

...Shaka takes his army and invades Algiers.

I think about helping Algiers, but I figure if they lose (which is probable), I don't want Shaka trashing both of our armies at once. So I siege Tunis and wait. Algiers builds up an 8K army and annihilates Shaka in November.

Well.

That was....anticlimatic.

One of my minor generals agrees.

149603Generalretires_zpsede4f962.jpg

So, I settle in to siege. NOW that I've gotten rid of Asim, his Siege skill would be useful. Instead I'm forced to wait it out, while replacing my merc infantry with regulars as quickly as possible. By November 1496 Tunis has fallen..again.

Putting Our House in Order

Apparently we're getting a reputation for being a bully in some circles. At least that's what the braver advisors tell the sultan.

149609Reputation_zpsa7fd862d.jpg

The Sultan explains that it's not at all true, that Tunisia needs a strong (non-Tunisian) protector, and anyway it was the sock puppet's idea. In fact, to show the Tunisians we're sorry for ending their independence, using harsh measures to suppress their rebels, and so forth I begin coring the province in March 1497.

The rest of this session is spent well...putting our house back in order. In June 1498 we take Offensive Ideas-2 (National Conscripts) for +25% manpower. More importantly, this opens up National Ideas-1 (Barbary Pirates) which increases my naval force limit by 25%. This means I can afford another galley or two, which might be the difference when it comes to kicking Cypriot butt. Later we take Naval Ideas-2 (Naval Glory) for +100% prestige from naval battles.

Not long afterwards a comet is spotted in the sky and the Sultan spends some Admin points convincing everyone the comet is lying. While we're at it, our claims on Morocco and the Mamluks expire. Good: One less reason to hate us.

Our diplomats are not entirely idle during this time. They continue to make the rounds of our Muslim neighbors: Mamluks, Ottomans, Morocco, Algiers, Yemen - they all love me. Or at least tolerate me. Kinda like the embarrassing relative no one talks about. I'm okay with that.

On January 1500 two of the seven loans renew - I've paid the others off. My army is entirely 'regular' again, and though I don't have my extra galley or two I'm about ready for an adventure. Tunis cores in February, ending that particular threat.

Hello, Cyprus. How are you today?

Johan's Dice:

Length of reign: 10 years
Roll to continue: 6
Continue? (Y/N): (Need 3+) Yes

Last edited:
It won't be CRIMEA unless Tunis revolts again... Whoops, did I just say that? Sorry!

Getting Tunis and a trade center should be a major plus for you. How are you using your merchant(s) and light ships?

One more thing... assumimg Cyprus is another glorious victory and doesn't revolt away (Did I just say that? Sorry!), what comes next?

Looks like you got what may be a better nation...hopefully Tunis is pacified for ya, but the way things are going I imagine something painful happening soon again...

I’ll have to admit that your choice in countries to play is shall we say… ambitious. :D

Good to see an AAR by you again but then I’ve haven’t stopped by in a while so maybe you’ve posted several AARs that I’ve missed. I’ve been playing EUIV for a couple of weeks and I’m finding it hard with just about any country to survive. I’ve even been jumping from country to country as I’ve always done but I haven’t found the right combination or goal to pen an AAR about. I’ll be following and good luck.

I keep my army at half maintenance as they march into Morocco, then get ready to take the plunge when...

...Shaka takes his army and invades Algiers.

I think about helping Algiers, but I figure if they lose (which is probable), I don't want Shaka trashing both of our armies at once. So I siege Tunis and wait. Algiers builds up an 8K army and annihilates Shaka in November.

Well.

That was....anticlimatic.

That was... beautiful. ;)

Okay, the Algerians dealt with Shaka and his Crimean band of merry men, someone called you a bully and you've steadily rebuilt your capacity to wage war. Excellent! Now let's see how much trouble Cyprus can be. Surely it can't be that much? I mean, they don't even have Shaka on their side...

I’ll have to admit that your choice in countries to play is shall we say… ambitious. :D

Good to see an AAR by you again but then I’ve haven’t stopped by in a while so maybe you’ve posted several AARs that I’ve missed. I’ve been playing EUIV for a couple of weeks and I’m finding it hard with just about any country to survive. I’ve even been jumping from country to country as I’ve always done but I haven’t found the right combination or goal to pen an AAR about. I’ll be following and good luck.

The Man, The Legend, the Institution... Hi Storey, 's good to hear from you. If you ever decide to take up the arcane art of writing a Storey AAR again (2 parts rambling discourse - 2 parts narrative optional - and 1 pinch of gameplay lightly sprinkled with more expansive discourse) then I'll be around to comment on it. :)

Chief Ragusa: Oh, the Pope is far too busy to deal with little ol' me...

rho: Yep. As I said, anticlimactic. Oh well

Director: Hm, true. We have to see if Tunisia revolts before we can truly call them Crimeans.

I have one merchant in Timbuktu, which pushes trade downstream to Tunis. I have the one in Tunis collecting. That was true even before the war, but now it pays dividends. I have one 'light ship' guarding Tunis' trade.

tnick0225: The trick is to know when to mitigate the pain, as we'll see coming up! (And have fun doing it.)

Storey: Storey!! Long time no see! I hoped conjuring up visions of 'Three Countries' would draw you out of retirement long enough to stay hello. I miss your tales. Come back!

Stuyvesant: Yeah, I expected to spend the last session having an epic war with these rebels before Tunisia went independent, and... well then.

As for Cyprus, let's find out

CHAPTER III: TRIPOLI
Part 3: Warmongering for Fun and Profit (1500-1505)

Om Nom Nom

So, it's February 1500 and other than wanting to buy a few more galleys, I've pretty much restored economic order after Shaka rampaged through Tunis. First target: Cyprus.

I check the diplomatic interface: Cyprus has no allies. Check the ledger: No army. No navy. Attacking them while they're so helpless would be a bit of a jerk move.

Do I want to be a jerk?

150004DoWCyprus_zpsd8045ddd.jpg

I'm not the only one. I 'call all allies' to the war really expecting nothing, but instead I'm joined by Armenia, Crimea, Georgia, the Ottos, Mamluks and Yemen.

Apparently being a jerk has dividends, as the Maghrebs in Tunis decide being a part of the greater Tripolitanian Empire isn't such a bad thing. I load 4K (all infantry) on my transports and sail over, but because I once again forgot about my army maintenance being down AND Cyprus hired some mercs, the landing is delayed until July. The Ottomans and Mamluks take turns helping out by blockading the port.

Meanwhile, the Christians decide they don't have enough problems.

150006Reformation_zpsaad0da19.jpg

No point in showing you a map yet, as even by 1505 the Reformation's just warming up.

So, in July we win the one battle of the Cypriot war. We breach the walls in August and settle in for a nice, leisurely siege. People at home celebrate with charming bonfires.

150009BookBurning_zpsd5e822b8.jpg

It also turns out that, despite previous concerns, the Army is the way to Glory after all to the tune of 5 prestige.

Cyprus meanwhile wants peace. In November 1500 they offer 51 ducats. In March they offer me 102 half-ducats. In June they ask if I want to get in on the ground level of a Ponzi scheme. No thanks. I want blood. Well, not really, but I do want land. Theirs.

150107Cyprusyields_zpsf78a0f7f.jpg

Unfortunately, pacifying them is going to be a real problem. They do NOT want to convert. They do NOT want to be part of Tripoli. (It would take 11-12 years of not spending dip points to get to the next Tech level and have them in range.) So, I tell them that if they agree to be my loyal Sunni vassals, I'll let THEM play Emperor!

150107CyprusPita_zps7ace4caf.jpg

I despite Byzzies in EU4. I believe an inordinate amount of attention is paid to a state that not only should be dying early in EU4's time frame, but MUST do so if Europe has any chance of developing historically. Making them lick my boots, worship at Sunni temples, and deal with a wrong-religion province sounds like fun.

It's even more fun in 1503, when the Byzzies introduce the Jizya, a supplemental tax on non-Muslims.

Interlude

So I let Cyprus Byzantium go their merry way and bring my army home. Now it IS time for those two new galleys, and while I wait for them I ponder targets.

Morocco/Ottomans/Mamluks: Far too strong, and they seem to like me. Why destabilize the region and lose in the bargain?

Ragusa: Tripoli's third rival is tempting, but again- wrong culture, wrong religion, too far away to core.

Venice: Several isolated islands sounds ideal, until you realize they have 23 ships: 13 light, 5 galleys and 5 transports. Unless the Ottos or Mamluks chose to help, that would end badly.

Algiers. It has to be Algiers. No allies that I need to worry about. Their army is now 10K to my 6K, but their leader isn't that great and my fleet is stronger. I wait a few months, building up a war fund so I can afford mercenaries without needing loans. In the meantime I get my Stability to +1 (despite a wandering comet), War Exhaustion to 0, and introduce the Jizya.

I mention my diabolical scheme to the Ottos, who reply that they've been invited to a party, and if I'm bored I could tag along.

Hungary Throws a Party!

150203CalltoArms_zpsc1610837.jpg

Imagine you're the outcast in high school. You know the one: He probably ate alone at lunch, or she spent her spare time in study hall or, I dunno, Lan Xang for lack of anything better to do. Perhaps they were too shy for their own good, or too smart, or too strange. Now imagine you finally got the cool kids to notice you and you've been invited to the Party of the Year(tm). Only they forgot (or probably didn't bother, the bastards) to tell you that gifts are expected. And the Charleston went out in the 1930s. So you proceed to do an excellent imitation of a wallflower and get sick from eating too much chips and dip.

Now imagine you're Tripoli, and if you know you send your army in they're going to get creamed, nor make much difference. Frankly they don't need my help.

150301Hungary_zpsc41ae67e.jpg

(January 1503)

So, do you sit in the corner with the chips?

I sent in the Allah damned fleet and sieged Hungary's one coastal province.

The comet stops by once again, and yet again I swat it out of the sky with an abundance of Admin points. Then, in August 1503, the Hungarian fleet comes out.

150308NavyBattle_zps1b0fb2d3.jpg

A bit underwhelming, huh? One odd thing did happen I never saw before: After winning, I chased the 'shattered' Hungarian fleet all the way beyond the Straits of Gibraltar. No doubt looking for a port with one of their allies.

In May 1504, chroniclers offer to write a National Epic about chasing the Hungarian fleet out of the Mediterranean, and I say 'sure.'

By June the situation is pretty hopeless.

150406Hungaryrevsed_zpsf80bf322.jpg

Still, the Hungarians prove stubborn and hold out by November. First the scientists escape offering to share the secrets of their heretical research.

150409Research_zpsb2eaae16.jpg

Nah.

In November the Pope, who's currently Burgundy's sock puppet, tries to launch a crusade versus my Ottoman buddies, perhaps hoping to turn the tide of the war. It's too late though, and Hungary gives up 2 provinces to the Turk, two more to a newly freed Serbia, and 78 ducats.

Well, now that that's settled I can finally get back to dealing with Algiers...

Johan's Dice:

Length of reign: 15 years
Roll to continue: 2
Continue? (Y/N): (Need 4+) No

Of course not.

INTERLUDE III

Finally a country with some growth and fun potential. Mali was fun in its way, but I was going to run out of enemies soon. Lan Xang was not.

Still, we leave Tripoli in good shape.
150501TripoliInterlude_zps1ff1cff8.jpg

Speaking of Lan Xang, how is our favorite hell hole?
150501LanXangInterlude_zpsc925589d.jpg

Lovely. They did win the war I started with Lan Na, but probably let them off for ducats. Lan Na is now an Ayutthayan vassal. Lan Xang is independent, but in a worse spot than ever. Interestingly, Ayutthaya is the sole member of an anti-Lan Xang coalition and vice versa.

Europe is still pretty messed up.
150501EuropeInterlude_zpsa051aa02.jpg

France is hopeless, though perhaps Burgundy will take their place. Leinster's unified Ireland, and England's on the verge of unifying Britain. Norway has ripped Sweden to shreds. The Livonians are doing well with the Baltic Crusade, while the Teutons are slowly getting dismembered. Lithuania is out from Poland's PU, so no Commonwealth.

Colonization is still slow. I can kind of understand Castile being cautious with a very strong Aragon around, but Portugal has no excuse. Still no colonization of Africa, while Portugal has two provinces in S. America.

So, where do we wind up?

150501BengalInterlude-Copy_zps2b9f1601.jpg

Crap.

Ah! Bengal. The OPM who wanted to grow up. Will you let her? ;)

Oh man, what a position oO
not much better than the Lan Xang one.
Hopefully the alliances are in your favor and you can deal with Jaunpur and Kachar.
But that Orissa, Nepal (wow!) and Shan are looking down on you with desire i think. Not to speak of Assam (got one in my game half the size of India).

ROFL!

You will be able to see lan Xang's final moments. Stuck between Orissa and Nepal, Bengal will be on someone's lunch menu. Time for Death by Ming II

I am disappointed the Cypriots didn't give you more of a fight. How's Mali doing?