• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There, another lurker that comes out the wood. I've been following this great AAR since the happy times of Mali, and I must say the Oman episode was one of the most fun to read. Kuddos to you for making something that must have been quite boring to play enjoyable to read.

On another note, by "skipped over some unpleasantness" I assume you meant Luxemburg and Bengal (I actually had to check the index, completely forgot about Bengal) didn't you? Good strategy though, getting the OPM annexed in such an efficient manner Johan will have to give you big countries. Although there might be too many nation like Luxemburg and Bengal to actually be an effective strategy.

From seeing what happens to AI Hungary (Poland+Bohemia+Ottoman+Venice assisted suicide) every time I play I am certain that our dear patient will find the peace and tranquility he needs.

By the end of this round we will have TWENTY EIGHT loans pending!

While this might not be a record in the history of EU it is still something to be proud of. I didn't know you could have that many loans and still have a functioning country! I think you were lucky that they wouldn't make peace with you. Trying to recover from this economic mess would have been a tedious chore. Hungary ah what possiblites...

I've had up to 80 loans and still be a functioning country. I think people fear loans too much.

Inflation is only a problem until Financial Ruin hits, and that can only happen once. As long as you can make up the interest payments eventually, it's no problem.

I've had up to 80 loans and still be a functioning country. I think people fear loans too much.

Now that's interesting. I certainly fall into the worrying too much crowd. I start sweating with just 5 or 6 loans so maybe I'll take a walk on the wild side in my next game and take a dozen or more!:eek::D

Since the Spaniards have already considerately set up a beach head in Ragusa, you should entangle them into an alliance and force them into a permanent war with the Ottomans. The only potential problem with this plan is that you should somehow keep the Ottomans focused on the Spaniards and away from your own territory, but I'm sure you can work out something. It's not like you share several hundred miles of borders with the Turks. Oh wait... :p

While I may end up with 20-30+ loans after a particularly brutal war (like defense against colonialist jerkwads who declare war then take forever to land troops, while I hemorrhage cash), it's not the inflation that's a problem, since that's easy enough to deal with, it's the interest, which can make short-term repayment impossible and end with you still deep in debt by the time a truce expires.

Hungary can into Bosnia. And Austria perhaps. But the others look daunting.:eek:

Vaximillian: Welcome aboard! Of course the Ottos are up to something. Hopefully just not in my particular direction!

draik: Thanks for the footnotes. It's important to get small details like that right.

tnick0225: Or a little of both. There's a lot of opportunity here - and a lot of danger.

Seelmeister: I'm counting on that. I'm hoping if I don't provoke the Ottos, they'll go annoy someone else.

Like Yemen!

TheKaspa: Hm...I'll see what I can do!

Blackfish: The Papacy's actually done pretty well. Along with their core holdings, they have most of northern Italy and two provinces near me (Istria as well.) It'd be a shame of someone wrecked His Holiness' day.

GreatUberGeek: Yeah... No. Nono. If it makes you feel better, Ragusa/Zeta does get sieged and occupied this turn!

Chief Ragusa: Wow, you make this part of the world seem much more interesting!

Saintrl: Actually time to retire the Hussars. They are SO 16th century.

Idhrendur: Definitely. The politics are at once straight forward and complex. It seems like every nation on the map has MA through Hungary for some reason.

McGrey: Getting closer to Austria would be difficult. They REALLY don't like me - maybe because we didn't give them all our remaining territory in 1540. I agree with the rest: So long as the Ottos keep busy elsewhere, there's some opportunity here.

Asdfezxcas: Are you trying to be punny? :)

Golladan: Colonization is FAR behind schedule, though at least now the AI seems to be trying to catch up. In Africa the Portugese have reached the Cape. The Spanish own the North American eastern seaboard and call it 'Florida.' The Caribbean is turning into a mess.

Director: Ah, the old gypsy woman is wise indeed. I'll follow her advice carefully.

Richards840: Johan is my shepherd, I shall not fear the likes of Murphy!

Legolas: Right. There's some potential here, if we can give Hungary a solid foundation.

no7892142: That's why you never go against an Austrian with death on the line!

Or is it Sicilian? Hm...

Matnjord: Luxembourg and Bengal were indeed unpleasant, but mercifully short. No, the one that really galled me was Lan Xang.

Storey: It's near the point of no return for Oman, but as others mentioned not quite.

Golladan: It's our experience with EU2 and a lesser extent EU3: In those games, loans were deadly. More than 5 loans = bankruptcy, and it was easy to throw yourself into an economic death spiral.

eugene171: I've never run into Financial Ruin. Is that what passes for bankruptcy these days?

Storey: It's survivable! I believe it was my Teuton game where I took 18 loans and kept expecting bankruptcy - welcomed it to get out of debt, but my economy kept limping along until I finally had to pay up.

ScribleScrable: Welcome! Well, let's see what kind of adventure we can find.

Stuyvesant: Yeah, brilliant plan except for the last part!

verdas: True enough. And there's only so much you can do to cut expenses without nerfing your own country.

Nikolai: Austria's also pretty daunting since they're the HRE. The Papacy is a possibility.

Hiryuu: Funny you should bring up the Americas...

CHAPTER XIII: HUNGARY
Part 1: Standing at the Crossroads
(1625-1630)

Introduction

We seem to be going through alot of intros the last few weeks. Well, the doctors said I needed a nice vacation. Go ahead and settle in while I read the intro.

Welcome to Hungary! Speaking of which, I'm going to get a snack before we go any further.

Ah, that's better.

162501HungarySetup_zps01309ecd.jpg

Hungary's in a bit of a spot as we start. Our king, Lajos II, has the potential to be great as does his son. We do have an annoying tech cost malus...

A small price to pay for peace and tranquility.

That's my doc. Don't mind him. Our National Taxes will go up 10%, and our Revolt Risk +1 in about a year as the effects of decentralization wear off.

Our relations should be no real surprise: Our neighbors are, at best, wary of us. For some reason we don't like Lithuania enough to rival them and try to buddy up with Russia: The latter will do no harm, and might do some good if the Ottos ever come knocking. We have a CB versus most of our neighbors, and the list of countries we give military access to is... impressive.

It's called being a good neighbor.

It's called... Never mind.

Notice our techs (13/14/14). Those are..quite bad actually. I know this because they're on par with Oman, and we saw what a mess that was.

You should try not to think about that.

Grr.. By comparison, Austria is 17/18/17, Bohemia 14/18/18, Poland 16/15/15 and the Ottos 16/15/18. What's going on here? It can't be that 5% malus from the Counter Reformation, can it? Have we been at war that much? Is that why we have five loans?

Actually some of your creditors followed you from...

Oh be quiet.

While I'm puzzling this out, let's switch our rivals around: There's no reason to be antagonizing Savoy, and Lithuania's just insane. Instead, let's... Why can't I switch rivals? Why do I have -10 Dip Power? My God, what's wrong with my monarch power??

Stay calm...

Why do we have -76 Admin, -10 Dip and 0 Military power? Here, hold my snack. I need to dig around.

But, I...

Found it!

162501HungaryTech_zpsc6781a58.jpg

I guess we're going to see what westernization looks like after all. Good thing it's almost done: With Stability -1 and reactionaries everywhere, all our provinces have a 7.1% chance of rebelling.

So, what else do we have here? Our merchants aren't idea: Gulf of Aden(??), Alexandria, Wien, and Ragusa transferring power and collecting in Venice. Instead we'll collect in Venice, Ragusa AND Wien, and transfer from Alexandria and Constantinople.

Sorry Ottos; Istanbul. You know we love you despite being heathen bastards, right?

Lastly, let's look for targets.

But...

The Ottomans (204K army, 83K manpower) are right out. Bohemia (6K/0K) looks promising, but of course they're part of the Empire. Austria, the emperor (16/17) is at peace. Poland (30/1) and Bosnia (12/0) are allied...not good. Until you realize they are at war with the Ottos, Spain, Lithuania, Orleans, Portugal, Netherlands, Gelre, Portugese Brazil (colony), Caraibas (ditto), Dutch West Indies (ditto) and the Horsehead Nebula. Poland's also fighting Ulm, while Bosnia gets to add Tuscany, Modena and Milan. The last part is because the Papacy has scared enough peeps to get a punitive war called against it.

162501BosnianPapacy_zps84b12788.jpg

Bosnia it is! But not yet. First we have to find that 12K Bosnian army (it turns out they're sieging Spain in Zeta), and hopefully get Poland to realize that backing their Bosnian buddy is a real bad idea.

So is going to war! You should be resting!

Doc, if it bothers you this much, you could always start your own AAR! I didn't think so. Where was I?

Our navy consists of 8 ships, which is fine for our purposes. Our army is at 10 regiments and can support 20. Let's build 4 infantry and a cavalry: I'm prepared to let those loans go for awhile. It's far more important that we have enough men to deal with any rebels until westernization hits and to avoid looking like an easy target before we're ready to fight.

Getting Ready

In January we get fantastic news! One of our scions will rise to the throne of Burgundy!

162501Burgundy_zps3e09ae5c.jpg

Wait, what do you mean this won't be a personal union? Then why do we care? Don't bother us with such nonsense!

Speaking of nonsense, before January's out some reactionaries rebel in Samogy. Their plan? Stop westernization at all costs! Our plan? Send 10K men over to crush their 8. Simple enough.

Still, it'd be nice to have an ally in case the Ottos or Poland come calling. Spain actually likes us, but they don't want to ally at this time: Something to do with us being weak and frail. We guarantee them anyway, which makes their ambassador laugh. Then we start kissing up to the court (Improved Relations.)

Through the summer of 1625 things continue more or less smoothly: Watch first Bosnia, then Poland get mauled. Send Valentines to Spain. Wait for Westernization to tick down. An event-rebellion breaks out in Marmaros over the correct spelling of their province, and we put that down too. Then in October our government officials let us know what they think of westernization:

162510OfficialsProtest_zpsb8ac5317.jpg

Oh no, we're at -100 Admin power! What will I do? You know what? You didn't resign, you were fired! No, you don't get to clean out your desks! We'll mail your stuff to you! With our westernized mail service! You hear that? Westernized! Hahahaha!

Time for your medicine, Cat.

Damn it. Fine.

Actually this event does hurt a little: My Admin has to rise back to 0 before it starts contributing to our westernization again. In the end it's a wash, because in May 1526:

162605Westernization_zps7eec6120.jpg

Modestly better units. Perhaps more importantly, there are alot more western units at different tech levels than eastern. Lastly, with a little care we should begin catching our neighbors.

Let's celebrate! Bosnia's completely occupied, though their 12K army is still out there. Poland's down to 2K/6K, and at -12 warscore with the Ottos, -25 versus Spain, and -5 Ulm.

162605BosnianPoland_zps72632309.jpg

No!

Cry havoc, and unleash the cats of war!

Best EUIV Screenie Ever!

We declare war on May 1st, knowing it'll take a month or two for our army to regain morale after switching units. Poland decides it's had enough and dishonors their alliance. In July the Ottomans annihilate the Bosnian army, so we move in and siege/sit on all of Bosnia's provinces. Our plan is to wait for the Ottos and Spanish to take what they want, then we can start sieging the scraps instantly before the Bosnians can rebuild their army.

The nobility entirely supports our plan and offers to buy several church positions to help fund the war. Sure, why not! This gives us 94 gold, which we turn into 1 infantry, 2 cavalry and 2 artillery to bring our total army up to 10/5/5.

Through the latter half of 1626 we continue sitting on mostly occupied provinces. By January 1627, the Polish situation is even more hopeless.

162701Poland_zpsc8c705cd.jpg

Haha! I feel a disturbance in the Force, like a million Teutonic Knights crying for revenge!

You must stay calm!

In February 1627 the Spaniards decide they like our parasitic habit of feasting on completely occupied nations and we ally! Not only does this make Hungary a much safer place to live, but gives us access to all sorts of Spanish delicacies like tacos and burritos!

What do you mean they're Mexican, not Spanish? Well, no one's perfect.

We do succeed in spreading Hungarian culture to two provinces. As you can imagine this 'war' isn't really costing us more than some attrition, so by the end of the turn we'll also pay off four of our five loans. See doc? No worries.

But...

March 1627 sees Zeta reconquered by Spain. Somehow we wind up in charge of the siege at Kosovo and take it later that month. This convinces the Bosnians to sue for peace, with Spain gracefully accepts. We begin sieging the two provinces Spain occupied the next day. It's like two good friends sharing a car: "I'm done. Here, borrow my keys."

In October, Poland falls.

162710PolandFalls_zpsc625ebb3.jpg

Mwahahahahahaha!

Okay, not really. Multiple wars means the enemy AIs don't necessarily have the warscore to impose the terms they want. Suffice to say Polish resistance is at an end. It's all over now except for the lamentations of Bosnian sheep.

The Ottos peace out in November, taking Roska from Bosnia and 118 gold from the Poles. This time Spain borrows the Ottos' car and sieges southern Poland before they can rebuild. Works for me!

Indeed, things are getting almost boring until January 1628 when our merchants whine that they're not doing well.

162801MerchantsPoor_zps524b8ecb.jpg

We have 70 Dip Power - nowhere near enough to tech up, so I could care less. In fact, let's celebrate their misery by spending Admin to raise our Stability to 0 for the first time all turn! It turns out to be a sign of things to come though, as the Ottos expel our merchants from Ragusa in July 1628. We decide to placate them for +25 relations and -5 trading power for a year. Poor merchants. Why don't you go trade in Poland and see how you do?

Through the rest of the year provinces surrender across Bosnia, and in December we occupy the entire country. Unfortunately we don't have enough Dip power anymore for what we want, so we don't peace out. In July 1629 a pretender sees this as a lack of resolve on our part and rises up, so we send the army to Kosovo to convince him otherwise.

Finally, in November 1629 our diplomats find someone with the authority to properly surrender.

162911EndofBosnia_zps48cae3d5.jpg

This is dangerous: The Ottos have claims on all these provinces through 1643. Hopefully we can keep the peace. We begin coring the three border provinces. We have no land border with Kosovo and CAN'T core them. I try selling it to Spain, but Spain's still at war. Next on the list is the Ottos: Hey, they want Kosovo anyway. How hard can it be? Well, the conversation went something like this.

Hungary: So...about Kosovo. I see you've claimed it.
Ottomans: Kosovo is ours by right! We will fight and bleed and die to take it!
H: Look, I really don't want it. I'll sell it to you for 0. It's yours.
O: I don't think so, Hungarian pig dog!
(+15 price, +10 neighbor, -20 wrong culture, -20 wrong religion = -15)
H: But...you want it.
O: We shall take it!
H: I'm trying to give it to you. No strings attached. Really, here. It's okay.
O: I don't think so!

I spend the next two months watching them nervously, but at -30 relations they're only mildly annoyed with our presence. Then, the Spanish war ends and I get the prettiest sight all game.

162912PolandHahaha_zps854fbedc.jpg

I...I....

Cat, are you okay?

Bwaahahhahahahahah! Welcome back, Teuton buddies!

Cat...

Needless to say Poland's done. I don't see them holding Moldavia (the province south of Ukraine) against Dracula's teeming vampiric hordes! The whole war was over Spain starting a PU with Lithuania, which is really bad from a balance standpoint but also means no more dreams of Commonwealth. They can't go west: Empire. They could try to take Teuton territory back, but I imagine Spain will protect them.

Where are your white chickens now, Poland? Huh? Where are your Winged Hussars? Where is your grand union?

Cat!

You were right, doc! This place is great! What next? I moved my army to the eastern frontier. Should we go finish off Poland while they're down? Maybe we should hold tight for a turn, consolidate Bosnia and take care of a few more wrong culture provinces? Hey, let's...

Johan's Dice

Reign: 5 years
Roll Needed: 2+
Roll: 1
Continue: No

WHAT?

What do you mean 'No?'

You're turning red.

Listen, Johan! 5 years here, 10 years there, 5 years here. Make up your mind!

No, not the monitor!

I'm the emir! Do you hear me, Johan? I'm the emir! I'm the.... *slumps* Oooh, birdies! *crash*

*puts away his sedative*

Now then. Perhaps somewhere even quieter?

163001DutchWestIndies_zpsb776284d.jpg

COMMENT: This is the first die roll I seriously considered ignoring. If a different nation was chosen, I might have, but we might as well see what a young colonial nation looks like.

Last edited:
Haha! I feel a disturbance in the Force, like a million Teutonic Knights crying for revenge!

Make that...............................Pagan Knights!

Well, a new type of nation should be fun...I haven't seen the Colonial ideas, do you mind showing that? Along with some other colonial stuff, some of us don't have CoP. ;) Liked the exchange between Hungary and the Turk. :D good have ended up better, but you win some, you lose some. Looking forward to colonial nations going crazy. I wonde what independent Dutch East Indies would be...

Last edited:
I've never run into Financial Ruin. Is that what passes for bankruptcy these days?

Financial Ruin happens at high inflation, and basically gives you -3 stability and more inflation. Bankruptcy is when you have too many loans, though I forget the exact effects.

And... That's a truly unfortunate roll of the dice. Maybe see if the Dutch navy can beat the Portuguese navy? Harass those natives?

Well Hungary was fun, sad you're not getting to stay in one place long anymore. I think you could have done a lot with Hungary. But now Dutch West Indies...

No idea what you can do with that... lol

Guess the doctor was just upset and wanted you to have more "bed-rest".

Financial Ruin happens at high inflation, and basically gives you -3 stability and more inflation. Bankruptcy is when you have too many loans, though I forget the exact effects.

If I remember correctly, bankruptcy wipes out your loans and part of your inflation (not 100% sure about that one) but sinks your army's morale down to pathetic levels for the next 10 years. It never happened to me in EUIV as the maximum number of loans allowed can be ridiculously high. Only saw it happen to AI Spain when half of her colonies revolted and her force limits diminished by half leaving her to pay more than 600 ducats a month in army maintenance. I think they had about 100 000 ducats (a few hundred loans) of debt by the time bankruptcy kicked in.

Dutch west indies hum? That might be interesting, never tried a colonial nation personally. At least you got one of the richest ones. Time for a little private war with the Caraibas? And then just hope things won't escalate too quickly...