• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hope the technical difficulties is just a figure of speech and that you aren't having real technical difficulties.

Looking forward to seeing where the next country will be.

Chief Ragusa: Nope, no technical difficulties other than my failing sanity!

Blackfish: Honestly, I don't think there's a way out of Oman's financial pickle but bankruptcy. Maybe if they white-peaced right now the loans could be paid off, but Oman won't be building anything for a long time.

Seelmeister: As Avindian said, no real technical difficulties other than yelling at the game for awhile. :)

GreatUberGeek: Yess! For me, static always meant 'This concludes our broadcasting day. Now go to bed!'

Avindian: Precisely!

TheKaspa: That might really drive me mad!

Seelmeister: Sorry, I figured it was more international. Yep, 'technical difficulties' either meant something had happened to the signal, or something unexpected was happening that the network didn't want you to see. Nowadays we just show it anyway for the ratings.

Saintrl: Yep! Perhaps it's just as well: It was tiring waiting for Yemen to give up!

Stuyvesant: Much as I love the Teutons, I think they'd be worse for my mental health than Iraq right now :D

AsdfeZxcas: Hm, and that might be worse than the Teutons.

Actually no it wouldn't. With Yemen I'd just roll up the Middle East and East Africa and call it a day.

Idhrendur: You know, I'm not sure. On the one hand, I REALLY wanted revenge on Iraq. On the other, Oman has worse war exhaustion than Iraq or Yemen right now, and sooner or later will go bankrupt. I just don't know how long it'd take to convince Yemen to go home. (Even if I wanted to, they weren't interested in any of my provinces.)

Cake_of_doom: We'll just find trouble somewhere else!

McGrey: That's right! Oman rules the seas! And the oil! And the scorched sand!

Hiryuu: No Americas yet, though it's always possible.

the_evil_one44: I suppose we can do an interlude!

tnick0225: Hopefully somewhere nice and warm. OK, not Iraq/Oman/Yemen warm. Spain maybe?

INTERLUDE VIII: (1625)

Thank you for coming. The patient is resting comfortably, but as you're aware he had a bit of a shock in Oman, and I beg you will not stay too long or agitate his mind in any way.

We decided to start by reminding the patient of some happier memories. Here, for example, is Mali.

162501Mali_zpsb2b793b1.jpg

As you see, still very calm and peaceful. Other than a spot of trouble with Portugal their borders haven't really changed in a century or more.

We then skipped over some unpleasantness and turned to the Mughal Empire.

162501Mughal_zpsdb789573.jpg

The Mughals continued to prosper after our patient left: Certainly not as dynamic as before, but a world power and the dominant power in the Near East.

We then tried to work through some failed dreams regarding Savoy.

162501Savoy_zps58b50a98.jpg

Savoy's unfortunately stagnated, with the Spanish behemoth ripping away most of its southern coast. A regional power, but that's all.

We didn't want the patient to focus on bad times however, so we quickly turned our attention to Morocco:

162501Morocco_zpsbd8bcd3f.jpg

Now there is a regional superpower, strong enough to hold off the might of Europe.

On to Japan, but here the memories were bittersweet as well:

162501Japan_zps451d7ed4.jpg

Regrets revolving around wasted opportunities, but the Japanese are still a strong regional power.

Which in turn led to Russia:

162501Russia_zps1ef4d1d8.jpg

The patient began experiencing symptoms of euphoria and megalomania. We sought to restore stability by reminding him of Shan.

162501Shan_zps6b66deb1.jpg

Like most of the others, Shan has held their own. The lack of vengeance versus Ayutthaya took its toll though, and was a direct factor in the patient's current fragility of mind.

162501Oman_zpsd917f8c4.jpg

Though Oman didn't help.

Depending on what happens now, the Omani war could last indefinitely. As the turn ended we checked to see what terms the...uhm..people we don't mention around the patient... wanted for peace. They're holding out for 100% warscore, which is unlikely in the current balance.

Our long term prognosis for the patient is good, and we expect him to make a full recovery. Right now he requires calm, peace, and to avoid any shocks or stresses of any kind. Fortunately, we've found a nice quiet place for him to stay during his convalesence.

162501Hungary_zps133c9005.jpg

What could go wrong?

Guess I'm that one figurative reader who hadn't commented yet :D
Anyways, what a great idea is to actually use the Random country button!

Now onwards... to Sweden?

EDIT: man, what a slow typist I am on this phone! Hungary looks promising, much more than Oh-man. But there're the Ottomans, and I'm pretty sure they're up to something.

I'm sure you're Hungary* for some action! Um. I mean peace and quiet. That European area is well known for its healing spas, grand vistas, and a surprisingly impressive variety of winelands! Enjoy your time off, with the occasional interlude of a cordial diplomatic function with one of Hungary's many friendly neighbours. It would certainly be tragic were some warmongering fools to disturb what is, for you, a unique opportunity for rest, recuperation, and healing**.

* This pun is entirely fresh and original, and has, in fact, never been used before on this or any other forum.
* This is not to say that you are, necessarily, unwell. Rather, were you to be suffering from any form of ailment, be it physical or mental, (hypothetically speaking), this would be the perfect place in which to seek healing and recovery.

Well Hungary may be promising. At least you have a few small neighbors close by. Although with the Otto's in the neighborhood and well Poland there and a Bohemia that appears to have taken a few provinces from AI Hungary not sure if it will be as promising as its size makes it seem.

I guess if worst comes to worst you could always use Bosnia or the Papal States as a punching bag. :)

Regardless I'm betting this will be interesting...or could go the way Savoy did...

That Hungary looks in quite a delicate state. Territory lost to Bohemia, solid looking Austria and Poland, and most threatening that large Ottoman presence to the south. The AI Ottomans don't tend to advance far into Europe in my experience, so that may be a positive.

Dracula is from Wallachia, isn't he?

I always like playing countries with that +200% core creation cost. Even if you lose badly you can make the victors choke on any provinces they annex. Looks like it's going to be an interesting few turns. Is that the Papal State in Dalmatia I see? :O

Spain has Ragusa! :rofl: Reclaim it! :D

Spain has Ragusa! :rofl: Reclaim it! :D
Don't worry about Ragusa, Spain needs some culture. Russia reached the Pacific. Looks more like Spain has Montenegro. I overlooked Bosnia. It's smaller than Hungary - a tasty morsel.

I was half expecting the game to switch you a Teutonic state that had revolted from ai states.

Hungary has all the ottomans for you to lie down on and rest - so thoughtful of the ai - whilst watching pole dances. Do watch out for mad bohemian corporals and Austrians hell bent on world domination or those who keep telling you "I'll be back!" Don't indulge the Papacy, they're on steroids. Rush an alliance with the Russians. At the end, you'll be hung'ry for a fresh challenge.

Hungary, good for vacations and clichés. Don't remember that the Huns and Magyars terrorized Europe. You may be tempted to do something rash, if you do.

Last edited:
I agree, this could be interesting. Some big neighbors to watch out for, some small ones to beat up on. I suppose it all depends on the diplomacy in the area.

Looks like there are some nice possibilities for a change. Some small neighbours to conquer, even punching Poland (more revenge for the Teutonic Knights!) should be doable. I agree with Seelmeister, the Ottomans seem for the most times not to advance further into europe, a bit butt-kissing... äh... diplomacy wouldn't hurt though.

On the other Hand you could try to form a KuK-Monarchie (aka Austria-Hungary), this time dominated by Hungary. Get Austria under a PU and become the Emperor of the HRE!

I was Hungery for an update, but then I saw this while eating lunch.

I totally didn't steal that pun from someone else...

Edit: Here's a better one: My post number is gross. I wish I hadn't aready eating my lunch.

It was 144 when I posted, people of the future.

I saw nothing I could constructively say about Oman. Sadly, I was right. (I am always right but I am usually not sad about it, so go ahead and feel honored. Or it could have been the extra onion on the pizza. Sometimes it is hard to tell.)

Hungary... what else could I do but go consult the Old Gypsy Woman? A little tea, a look into a cloudy crystal ball, a dizzy spell from the funny chemicals in the tea... Half an hour later, my fortune was told ("Your wallet will go missing. Also your car. And you will awaken with a strange lump on your head.") And so I will pass her wise words along to you:

"Always pay the lady."

No... that doesn't sound right.

"Always hit the happy medium."

Closer, but no cigar. Come to think of it, she was smoking a cigar when I hit her... But focus, focus.

AHA! "I see many possibilities and also many dangers. The decisions you make will have grave consequences."

See? I'm always right. Now, has anyone seen my wallet? Or my car?

Hungary looks like a medium power, and its history can go either way. It lost some land to Bohemia, but gained Serbia and Croatia. Provided that the Ottomans do not decide to pounce on you, you might make Hungary great!