• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
IMO there are far too many merchants related events and some should be removed and also when the AI receives merchants by events they should get an minimum of 3 per event as less than that is useless for the AI

should'nt these events have not if stab is 3 ??

#(1419-1744) Conflict with a Frisian prince

#(1419-1662) Holstein
event = {
id = 338229
trigger = {
control = { province = 306 data = -1 }
atwar = no
stability = 3
stability = 1
NOT = { year = 1662 }
}
random = yes
province = 306 #Holstein
name = "EVENTNAME338229" #Conflict with a Frisian prince
desc = "EVENTHIST338229"
#-#Large parts of the German North Sea coast were controlled by Frisian princes who were usually still heathens. Although those Frisian lords formed a loose alliance, there was permanent conflict among them and with the neighbouring German princes. Historically, the mighty German imperial princes in Oldenburg, Bremen and Holstein very often used these feuds to gradually expand their territory.

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAME338229A" #Fight the prince and seize his lands
command = { type = revolt which = 306 } #Holstein
command = { type = population which = 306 value = 500 } #Holstein
command = { type = relation which = FRI value = -20 }
}
action_b = {
name = "ACTIONNAME338229B" #Leave him alone
command = { type = relation which = FRI value = 20 }
command = { }
}
}
#(1419-1744) Oldenburg
event = {
id = 338414
trigger = {
control = { province = 335 data = -1 }
stability = 3
stability = 1
atwar = no
NOT = { year = 1744 }
}
random = yes
province = 335 #Oldenburg
desc = "EVENTHIST338229"
#-#Large parts of the German North Sea coast were controlled by Frisian princes who were usually still heathens. Although those Frisian lords formed a loose alliance, there was permanent conflict among them and with the neighbouring German princes. Historically, the mighty German imperial princes in Oldenburg, Bremen and Holstein very often used these feuds to gradually expand their territory.

action_a = {
command = { type = revolt which = 335 } #Oldenburg
command = { type = population which = 335 value = 500 } #Oldenburg
}
action_b = {
command = { }
}
}
#(1419-1460) Bremen
event = {
id = 338415
trigger = {
control = { province = 336 data = -1 }
stability = 3
stability = 1
atwar = no
NOT = { year = 1460 }
}
random = yes
province = 336 #Bremen
desc = "EVENTHIST338229"

action_a = {
command = { type = revolt which = 336 } #Bremen
command = { type = population which = 336 value = 500 } #Bremen
}
action_b = {
command = { }
}
}
#(1419-1594) Friesen
#should not happen to Friesland
event = {
id = 338416
trigger = {
NOT = { owned = { province = 337 data = FRI } }
control = { province = 337 data = -1 }
stability = 3
stability = 1
atwar = no
NOT = { year = 1594 }
}
random = yes
province = 337 #Friesen
desc = "EVENTHIST338229"

action_a = {
command = { type = revolt which = 337 } #Friesen
command = { type = population which = 337 value = 500 } #Friesen
}
action_b = {
command = { }
}
}
#(1419-1517) Holland
event = {
id = 338417
trigger = {
control = { province = 339 data = -1 }
stability = 3
stability = 1
atwar = no
NOT = { year = 1517 }
}
random = yes
province = 339 #Holland
desc = "EVENTHIST338229"

action_a = {
command = { type = revolt which = 339 } #Holland
command = { type = population which = 339 value = 500 } #Holland
}
action_b = {
command = { }
}
}

Last edited:
Let's make a list then but don't forget balance. Better have one merchant "too often" than civil disorder (for exemple)...

Ok, but most of them (negative ones) a similar

About post #1323, this is intended, German imperial princes should only focus on this "task" (expanding their territory in Friesland) if they have nothing else to do. Maybe we could lower to stab 2 or even 1 for reference to "very often" in the description but not sure.

About post #1323, this is intended, German imperial princes should only focus on this "task" (expanding their territory in Friesland) if they have nothing else to do. Maybe we could lower to stab 2 or even 1 for reference to "very often" in the description but not sure.

ok, for stab =1

as the term very often will hardly ever happen since this will be a "random " event

post 1323 amended

Since we know that there is a sequence on when random events occur per each nation/state as in 2year then 1 year gap as an example

2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27, 29, 31 etc etc

I am wanting to know if the province random events are part of this sequence.

If they are , then are these province random events looked at before the random event folders?

I always thought the "trigger" for random events was if Random=yes was part of the event

new randoms to consider,

#(1419-1819) Dragoman in Peace
event = {
id = xxxxxx
trigger = {
owned = { province = 357 data = TUR }
atwar = no
continent = europe
}
random = yes
name = "EVENTNAMExxxxxx" #Dragomans
desc = "EVENTHISTxxxxxx"
#-#Dragoman designates the official title of a person who would function as an interpreter, translator and official guide between the Ottomans and European embassies. In the Ottoman Empire, the demand for the mediation provided by dragomans is said to have been created by the resistance on the part of the Muslim Ottomans to learn the languages of non-Muslim nations. The office incorporated diplomatic as well as linguistic duties namely, in the Ottomans relation with Christian countries and some dragomans thus came to play crucial roles in Ottoman politics.

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAMExxxxxA" #Peaceful politics
command = { type = merchants value = 2 }
command = { type = trade value = 100 }
command = { type = relation which = TUR value = 20 }
}
}

#(1419-1819) Dragoman in Wartime
event = {
id = xxxxxx
trigger = {
atwar = yes
continent = europe
}
random = yes
name = "EVENTNAMExxxxxx" #Dragomans for war
desc = "EVENTHISTxxxxxx"
#-#Dragoman designates the official title of a person who would function as an interpreter, translator and official guide between the Ottomans and European embassies. In the Ottoman Empire, the demand for the mediation provided by dragomans is said to have been created by the resistance on the part of the Muslim Ottomans to learn the languages of non-Muslim nations. The office incorporated diplomatic as well as linguistic duties namely, in the Ottomans relation with Christian countries and some dragomans thus came to play crucial roles in Ottoman politics.

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAMExxxxxA" #Warlike politics
command = { type = merchants value = -2 }
command = { type = trade value = -100 }
command = { type = relation which = TUR value = -20 }
}
}

I read a few books and the earliest known dragoman i found was in 1640ish when the KNI captured an important TUR fleet, the ambassadors of FRA, VEN and HOL where summoned to the sultan in Constantinople for a please explain, they used dragomans.
But i presume that these dragomans have always been around ever since the Ottomans gained the Levant and also because of the TUR policy to not learn languages of non-muslim states.

Last edited:
new randoms to consider,

I do not understand those two events.

A province specific event for the province of Thrace - that only fires if TUR owns Thrace - sounds to me as if you could just as well make it an event for TUR after they own Thrace instead of a provincespecific event?

And in the events text you mention only politics not commerce - yet the event adds merchants and trade value, not diplomats?

Perhaps I´m too tired at this time - but the relations +20 with TUR - won´t that mean that TUR gets better relatioins with TUR as that´s the only nation for which the event can fire?

I do not understand those two events.

A province specific event for the province of Thrace - that only fires if TUR owns Thrace - sounds to me as if you could just as well make it an event for TUR after they own Thrace instead of a provincespecific event?

what do you mean ?, any nation/state (european) that traded with TUR sent ambassadors, they needed translators. a country event is a one off event

And in the events text you mention only politics not commerce - yet the event adds merchants and trade value, not diplomats?

maybe I thought that all (modders) knew TUR policy was only commerce policy, without commerce policy you had no diplomatic policy. their (TUR) doctrine was that the whole world was there's to take.

Perhaps I´m too tired at this time - but the relations +20 with TUR - won´t that mean that TUR gets better relatioins with TUR as that´s the only nation for which the event can fire?

amended event, no longer a province event

According to comments at the end of post #1329, shouldn't the trigger check if TUR is at war (or not, for the first event) against a European country, instead of the country that will receive the event? Does it make sense if Ottomans are not involved in a war?

Maybe current script engine is too limited for this.

According to comments at the end of post #1329, shouldn't the trigger check if TUR is at war (or not, for the first event) against a European country, instead of the country that will receive the event? Does it make sense if Ottomans are not involved in a war?

Maybe current script engine is too limited for this.

Those notes are from reading books. They are only about when I first read about a Dragoman. If the TUR was at war with Persia they would still trade with Europeans. the atwar = no will just guarantee that the state getting the event is not fighting the TUR ( or anyone else)
the events are only about communication with the TUR. maybe the second event can be removed and only the first used.

Basically if a european state did not bring a dragoman with its ambassador to use as a communicator with the TUR , then no ability to trade in the Levant was possible.

For clarity, the Dragoman was trained by the Europeans state and worked for that state, they where never supplied by the TUR

maybe the second event can be removed and only the first used.
Yes, script engine is too limited in order to ideally depict conditions for the second event. First one is indeed not a problem. Il will advantage European countries but being a random event, this is not a problem neither.

Since we know that there is a sequence on when random events occur per each nation/state as in 2year then 1 year gap as an example

2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27, 29, 31 etc etc

I am wanting to know if the province random events are part of this sequence.

If they are , then are these province random events looked at before the random event folders?

I always thought the "trigger" for random events was if Random=yes was part of the event
From experience, I don't have exact same result for the sequence but I always considered all random events being checked each 12 months or so (not at the beginning with 36 months gap, i.e. first random event around 1421) for each country and one of them with trigger true being randomly chosen, province specific or not.

From having access to the source code, not allowed to tell...

amended event, no longer a province event

Then I understand the sense of the event again :)

I would suggest to add to the trigger that the owner of Thrace not only owns but controls Thrace.

Could the text be clearer when you replace the "resistance" to learn foreign languages with "reluctance" to learn foreign languages?

Yes, control is good idea. For me, it means TUR not involved in a bad war or without internal rebels problems and thus able to have influence at this moment.
Same for reluctance instead of resistance.

Yes, control is good idea. For me, it means TUR not involved in a bad war or without internal rebels problems and thus able to have influence at this moment.
Same for reluctance instead of resistance.

Below is the amended new event , ignore the older post

#(1419-1819) Dragoman
event = {
id = xxxxxx
trigger = {
control = { province = 357 data = TUR }
atwar = no
continent = europe
}
random = yes
name = "EVENTNAMExxxxxx" #Dragomans
desc = "EVENTHISTxxxxxx"
#-#Dragoman designates the official title of a person who would function as an interpreter, translator and official guide between the Ottomans and European embassies. In the Ottoman Empire, the demand for the mediation provided by dragomans is said to have been created by the reluctance on the part of the Muslim Ottomans to learn the languages of non-Muslim nations. The office incorporated diplomatic as well as linguistic duties namely, in the Ottomans relation with Christian countries and some dragomans thus came to play crucial roles in Ottoman politics.

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAMExxxxxA" #Peaceful politics
command = { type = merchants value = 2 }
command = { type = trade value = 100 }
command = { type = relation which = TUR value = 20 }
}
}

Then I understand the sense of the event again :)

I would suggest to add to the trigger that the owner of Thrace not only owns but controls Thrace.

Could the text be clearer when you replace the "resistance" to learn foreign languages with "reluctance" to learn foreign languages?

Thanks for picking up the error, I have been reading too much , a new book,
Venice, Austria and the Turk in the 17th century.

DO you know anything about the "long war" between HAB and the TUR ?

events below seem not balanced

event = {
id = 96000057 #Paradox 1060
trigger = {
NOT = { owned = { province = 1614 data = -1 } } #not for the Pope (MUS)
stability = -2
countrysize = 4
domestic = { type = centralization value = 2 }
}
random = yes
name = "EVENTNAME_RANDOM057" #Cities Demand Old Rights
desc = "EVENTHIST_RANDOM057"
#-#Urban dwellers had always existed under a different code of rules than their rural brethren - even in the same state. Just as monarchs looked to curb the privileges of nobles they often tried to bring cities under more uniform rules and regulations. The cities often resisted these efforts.

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAME_RANDOM057A" #Deny Old Rights
command = { type = stability value = -2 }
}
action_b = {
name = "ACTIONNAME_RANDOM057B" #Accept
command = { type = domestic which = centralization value = -1 }
}
}
event = {
id = 96010057 #Paradox 1060
trigger = {
NOT = { owned = { province = 1614 data = -1 } } #not for the Pope (MUS)
stability = -2
countrysize = 4
domestic = { type = aristocracy value = 4 }
domestic = { type = centralization value = 6 }
}
random = yes
name = "EVENTNAME_RANDOM057" #Cities Demand Old Rights
desc = "EVENTHIST_RANDOM057"
#-#Urban dwellers had always existed under a different code of rules than their rural brethren - even in the same state. Just as monarchs looked to curb the privileges of nobles they often tried to bring cities under more uniform rules and regulations. The cities often resisted these efforts.

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAME_RANDOM057A" #Accept
command = { type = stability value = -2 }
}
action_b = {
name = "ACTIONNAME_RANDOM057B" #Deny Old Rights
command = { type = domestic which = centralization value = -1 }
}
}

either action B should be stability +2

or

action A should be centralization +1

I disagree.The choice is indeed between stability or centralization but event is the result of current policies. "Deny Old Rights" means not changing the policies while "Accept" is a step "backwards" for the government. Maybe we could change "Deny Old Rights" but I'm not sure. Any suggestion?

It could be possible to have stab +1 for "Accept" but, IMHO, it would be a gift to players.

Anyway, there is a bug in comments for 96010057 and comments for names should be the reverse.