• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(6159)

Field Marshal
Oct 23, 2001
Visit site
As discussed here, there is a serious problem with revoltrisk stack up from random events in EUII and all mods. It's been proposed that all radom events that raise revolt risk be modified to cause revolts and stability hits and whatever else we can think of so that there be no revolt risk raising random events. The problem I have with this is that none of these effects scales quite the way revolt risk does - a bunch of revolts is dangerous, but with a fixed number it is much more dangerous for small countries. Stability is easy for small countries but can be brutal for others. Some of these problems can be resolved by scaling by country size (although not all, the balance of DP sliders changes if all RR become stab hits). Furthermore, ongoign revoltrisk, especially for an extending period of time is more serious than any single event can be - you can never have enough revolts and stab hits to cause as much risk as 3 years without simply inducing an almost immediate government collapse.

Anyway my idea is to have specific flags that could substitute for certain revolt risks. Call them RR36, RR24, RR12. These flags would block every random event except for specific random events that would cause (countrysize scaled) revolts, perhaps stab hits, and reset flags. So for instance the event sequence would be:
1) Meteor (should be comet, but oh well), some revolts, stab hit, sets flag RR24
2) Has to be a revolt event (all others are blocked by the flag). Sets off 1 revolt for every 4 provinces owned (well maybe it's not 4, but whatever). clears flag RR24, sets flag RR12.
3) Has to be another revolt event (all others are blocked by the flag). Sets off 1 revolt for every 4 provinces owned. clears flag RR12.
4) Normal random events resume.

I don't think this would be a major effort, or at least not much more than converting all the random events to eliminate RR. Most events would presumably not use the flags - they would be reserved for events where extra nastiness was really needed.

Obviously this a very rough concept. Any ideas/opinions on utility of this, or ways to make it better are appreciated.

EDIT: Appears I was wrong. This is good. I was thinking of the rules for the general flags used for things like the ToT, reformation, &etc

The following is bad information, left for posterity to show what a bad memory can do for you
Flags are not country specific. Thus, unless you would want to create a separate flag for RR12, 24, 36 for each and every TAG in the game and a corresponding huge set of random events, the proposed solution will not work.

In your example as proposed,
1) Could happen to Austria, followed by
2) happening to Tibet, after which
3) might happen to the Incas

Back to the drawing board, Isaac Brock :)

Last edited:
No. Flags are indeed country specific. I've done a lot of testing around using the province command for the Dutch revolts, and I can assure you that you have to set the flag for each and every country that gets the event. You can confirm this by checking where they are stored in the save game - each flag will be stored seperately for each country.

I don't know where you got your information from, but unless something has been changed in one of the beta tests your statement is flat out wrong.

I confirm : the command "flag" is clearly specific to one country (unfortunately... :( ). No general effects.

Originally posted by Isaac Brock

I don't know where you got your information from, but unless something has been changed in one of the beta tests your statement is flat out wrong.
You are right and I was wrong, fortunately. I was writing based on the workings of the flags used to set ToT, refromation, Tricolor &etc and falsely assumed that the flags you were talking about worked in the same way, forgetting that Johan had introduced an entirely new command "setflag" for user defined flags, with functionality completely different from the "flag" command.

My apologies for the misinformation, the best I can say is that I managed to bump the thread in an interesting way :D

Well that's true. :)

It's actually a little worse than that because in the trigger

trigger = {
flag = 1
flag = foo
}

looks like the two are identical, when in fact flag=a refers to a global flag, and flag=foo refers to a country specific flag.