• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kiesenberg

First Lieutenant
74 Badges
Oct 23, 2009
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
I couldn't find a thread for random events so I am putting this here.

If your government is very stable (+3) then it can have bad policies and not good ones and if it is very unstable (-3) then it can have good policies and not bad ones?

Shouldn't events reward having a high stability and not punish it?

We used to have one in the old AGCEEP forum, hopefully a moderator can change the name of your thread so that it becomes the dedicated one here.

If your government is very stable (+3) then it can have bad policies and not good ones and if it is very unstable (-3) then it can have good policies and not bad ones?

The idea behind this, if I remember correctly, was that receiving this event giving you +1 stability when you were already at +3 was pretty much useless, and likewise -1 when you were at -3.

+3 is the maximum possible. If you have the most utopian stable state thinkable then it can only go down.
-3 is the minimum possible. If you are crawling you can´t stumble.

There are a lot of random events. The chance to get the bad policies event when at +3 is very low - so you won´t get always punished for being at +3.

We used to have one in the old AGCEEP forum, hopefully a moderator can change the name of your thread so that it becomes the dedicated one here.

The idea behind this, if I remember correctly, was that receiving this event giving you +1 stability when you were already at +3 was pretty much useless, and likewise -1 when you were at -3.

Wasn´t there a time when every -1 stab caused a revolt when you were already at -3?

Is is possible to turn random events back on? Can someone please explain how if it is? Thanks.

AGCEEP has random events, too.
However usually only 1 random event triggers each year.

Merged and renamed per request

Suggestion for new random event:

There are two events in the random event files about the collection of the head tax in muslim countries for non-muslims (96009093 and 96008093), but only for asia and owning indian provinces, so for e.g. the Mughals ruling hindu population. That gave me the idea that muslims in other continents could need some extra money too for protecting their non-muslim population, as the standard penalty of -30% tax for ruling non-state religion provinces practically turns the historical reality on it´s head where the christian provinces had to contribute more to the treasurey than the muslim provinces.

My first idea to check if a muslim country owns some random non-muslim province does not work with the triggers available (unless I would want to write 1 event for each province existing...) so it is commented out with # and so I came up with a more general event.

Code:
#(1419-1820) Jizya
event = {
    id = 960000128
    trigger = {
        missionaries = 9 #waste prevention 159b5
        countrysize = 2 #assuming that at least the capital of any muslim country is muslim and it has to own more
        OR = {
            AND = { religion = sunni
                #NOT = provincereligion = { province = -1 data = sunni }
                #control = { province = -1 data = -1 }
                #owned = { province = -1 data = -1 }
                }
            AND = { religion = shiite
                #NOT = provincereligion = { province = -1 data = shiite }
                #control = { province = -3 data = -1 }
                #owned = { province = -3 data = -1 }
                  }
            }
        }

random = yes
    name = "EVENTNAME_RANDOM093" #Enforcement of Jizya
    desc = "EVENTHIST_RANDOM093"
    #-#Islamic law emphasized issuing a tax on dhimmis, non-believers who are protected by the state. Muslim jurists required adult, free, sane males among the dhimma community to pay the jizya, while exempting women, children, elders, handicapped, the ill, the insane, monks, hermits, slaves, and musta'mins—non-Muslim foreigners who only temporarily reside in Muslim lands.Dhimmis who chose to join military service were also exempted from payment, as were those who could not afford to pay. Those who chose to convert to islam were obviously exempt, too.

action = {
        name = "VERY_WELL"
        trigger = { NOT = { countrysize = 4 } }
        command = { type = treasury value = 50 } #same as Gift to the State
        command = { type = missionaries value = -1 }
            }
    action = {
        name = "VERY_WELL"
        trigger = { countrysize = 4
                NOT = { countrysize = 9 } }
        command = { type = treasury value = 100 }
        command = { type = missionaries value = -2 }
            }
    action = {
        name = "VERY_WELL"
        trigger = { countrysize = 9
        NOT = { countrysize = 30 } }
        command = { type = treasury value = 200 }
        command = { type = missionaries value = -3 }
            }
    action = {
        name = "VERY_WELL"
        trigger = { countrysize = 30
        NOT = { countrysize = 80 } }
        command = { type = treasury value = 300 }
        command = { type = missionaries value = -4 }
            }
    action = {
        name = "VERY_WELL"
        trigger = { countrysize = 80
        NOT = { countrysize = 200 } }
        command = { type = treasury value = 500 }
        command = { type = missionaries value = -5 }
            }
    action = {
        name = "VERY_WELL"
        trigger = { countrysize = 200 }
        command = { type = treasury value = 1000 }
        command = { type = missionaries value = -6 }
            }
    action = {
        name = "WELCOME"
        command = { type = conversion which = -5 } #random non-capital province
        command = { type = missionaries value = -3 } #more valuable, more effort
        }
    action = {
        name = "HURRAH"
        command = { type = population which = -3 value = -500 } #population is more like hearths or households, not individuals
        command = { type = INF which = -3 value = 2000 }
        }
    action = {
        name = "PEACE"
        trigger = { NOT = { stability = 3 } }
        command = { type = stability value = 1 }
            }
        }

The first 6 actions mirror the "Gift for the State" random events that gift to the state an amount depending on the number of provinces ruled.
I used triggers in the actions so that, depending on country size, only 1 of them is actually shown on the screen.

Next action is a random conversion to the state religion,
next population volunteering as soldiers, both in lieu of the tax.

Last is +1 stability, due to trigger only shown if stability is not already +3.

All actions cost missionaries to put those to use that are left unused, when the new maximum in 1.59b5 of 9 missionaries is already collected and the next would be wasted.

I would say that the actions are balanced as it does not give more money than the Gift of the State, the additional actions allow some alternatives in case money is not the most pressing matter and it adds some flavour to muslim countries compared to the more generic Gift of the State.

Any comments or suggestions about balance or possible improvements?

Last edited:
From the random event in the last post I tried to make it a persistent event (so that it would not have to compete with all other possible random events every year, but could fire as soon as the trigger is met).

But it did not trigger once with
persistent = yes
So I tried to add
country = GRA
and still nothing.
Is there anything in the event that makes it refuse to trigger? I have placed the event in the same file as the other random events of AGCEEP and the triggers of having 9 missionaries and being countrysize 2+ and being sunni or shiite are met immediately...

#(1419-1820) Jizya
event = {
id = 960000128
trigger = {
missionaries = 9 #waste prevention 159b5
countrysize = 2
OR = {
AND = { religion = sunni
#NOT = provincereligion = { province = -1 data = sunni }
#control = { province = -1 data = -1 }
#owned = { province = -1 data = -1 }
}
AND = { religion = shiite
#NOT = provincereligion = { province = -1 data = shiite }
#control = { province = -3 data = -1 }
#owned = { province = -3 data = -1 }
}
}
}

persistent = yes
random = no

name = "EVENTNAME_RANDOM093" #Enforcement of Jizya
desc = "EVENTHIST_RANDOM093"
#-#Islamic law emphasized issuing a tax on dhimmis, non-believers who are protected by the state. Muslim jurists required adult, free, sane males among the dhimma community to pay the jizya, while exempting women, children, elders, handicapped, the ill, the insane, monks, hermits, slaves, and musta'mins—non-Muslim foreigners who only temporarily reside in Muslim lands.Dhimmis who chose to join military service were also exempted from payment, as were those who could not afford to pay. Those who chose to convert to islam were obviously exempt, too.

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1419 }
offset = 360
deathdate = { year = 1820 }

action = {
name = "VERY_WELL"
trigger = { NOT = { countrysize = 4 } }
command = { type = treasury value = 50 } #same as Gift to the State
command = { type = missionaries value = -1 }
}
action = {
name = "VERY_WELL"
trigger = { countrysize = 4
NOT = { countrysize = 9 } }
command = { type = treasury value = 100 }
}
action = {
name = "VERY_WELL"
trigger = { countrysize = 9
NOT = { countrysize = 30 } }
command = { type = treasury value = 200 }
command = { type = missionaries value = -3 }
}
action = {
name = "VERY_WELL"
trigger = { countrysize = 30
NOT = { countrysize = 80 } }
command = { type = treasury value = 300 }
command = { type = missionaries value = -4 }
}
action = {
name = "VERY_WELL"
trigger = { countrysize = 80
NOT = { countrysize = 200 } }
command = { type = treasury value = 500 }
command = { type = missionaries value = -5 }
}
action = {
name = "VERY_WELL"
trigger = { countrysize = 200 }
command = { type = treasury value = 1000 }
command = { type = missionaries value = -6 }
}
action = {
name = "WELCOME"
command = { type = conversion which = -5 } #random non-capital
command = { type = missionaries value = -4 } #more valuable, more effort
}
action = {
name = "HURRAH"
command = { type = population which = -5 value = -500 } #population is more like hearths or households, not individuals, same province as before
command = { type = INF which = -3 value = 2000 }
}
action = {
name = "PEACE"
trigger = { NOT = { stability = 3 } }
command = { type = stability value = 1 }
}
}

Last edited:
Persistent events are not a separate category of event, they're just a special case of non-random events. That means they must either have a date or be triggered. This jizya event would probably be something like:
Code:
date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1419 }
offset = 360
deathdate = { day = 30 month = december year = 1819 }

Reactions:
Trigger and event problems: I added the event in post 9 to my game for testing and found several errors that I do not understand.

The event triggers fine for a muslim (sunni or shiite) nation with 2+ provinces and has accumulated 9 missionaries. It does so persistently, so again and again when those conditions are fulfilled again.

However:

1) the "Welcome" action - in theory it should pick a random province that is not the capital and offer to convert it for 4 missionaries.
Usually that works fine - however if the country has no wrong-religion proinces (funnily having moved my capital from Granada to Cordoba my only catholic proince was my capital!) then the action - I assumed - should not be offered. Instead the action is offered with -4 missionaries but no conversion.

2) the "Hurrah!" action - one time it triggered it offered me to gain those soldiers in a province that I did not own...?
I thought that the population loss for province -5 (random non-capital province) and soldier gain (-3 same random province as before) would limit that to my own provinces?

Trigger and event problems: I added the event in post 9 to my game for testing and found several errors that I do not understand.

The event triggers fine for a muslim (sunni or shiite) nation with 2+ provinces and has accumulated 9 missionaries. It does so persistently, so again and again when those conditions are fulfilled again.

However:

1) the "Welcome" action - in theory it should pick a random province that is not the capital and offer to convert it for 4 missionaries.
Usually that works fine - however if the country has no wrong-religion proinces (funnily having moved my capital from Granada to Cordoba my only catholic proince was my capital!) then the action - I assumed - should not be offered. Instead the action is offered with -4 missionaries but no conversion.

2) the "Hurrah!" action - one time it triggered it offered me to gain those soldiers in a province that I did not own...?
I thought that the population loss for province -5 (random non-capital province) and soldier gain (-3 same random province as before) would limit that to my own provinces?
Invalid commands are normally removed by the game. If I remember correctly, the game won't completely remove an action unless all commands are invalid (maybe not even then?). The rules are different for random events: any invalid command (not including commands with triggers that don't fire) causes the event not to be fired.
(EDIT: Just checked, and it looks like non-random events cannot fire if an action has no valid commands. Random events, as I said, cannot fire if an action has *any* invalid command.)

I'm pretty sure I've seen that second one before. FTG changed the infantry/cavalry/artillery commands to allow gaining troops in a non-owned province, but random selection shouldn't pick a non-owned province.
EDIT: Just checked this one too. I don't see anything obviously wrong with the code. It should have added the troops in the province that -5 selected.

Last edited: