Rally of the lieges + Dragons. What more do you need?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fonzosh

Private
7 Badges
Apr 15, 2019
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
So, Ive allways played large games in all AoW, but in this one I really cant be bothered to play anything else but getting dragons and wait for the rally of the lieges. All the time my tech tree goes this way since its absolutely the best way (according to me) to win. Early dragons (and a phoenix or 2 for good measure and a weaker army with phase beasts. Feel that the game doesnt really encourage ways to seek different paths. In AoW 3 the game encouraged you to build different armies dpendant on your specialities, but because the dragons are so readily available (and easy to lvl, since the removal of AoW 3 system of "The ones that kills get the exp"). So, am i missing something? Please, post any feedback you like, even rants about "You are doing it wrong" :)

Well either you go your race or dragons, even with dragon leader, because either you use enchantments or not, dragons are actually so detached, they dont synergize with majority of the game, you cant even ghoul them, so they would profit from undead leader(ironically dragon leader can be ghouled). They cant even profit from race perks because they dont belong to any race even though again dragon leader can. And they actually took ages to lvl up. so you can get max one squadron plus when they mature, they are so expensive, you will afford only few of them,

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well either you go your race or dragons, even with dragon leader, because either you use enchantments or not, dragons are actually so detached, they dont synergize with majority of the game, you cant even ghoul them, so they would profit from undead leader(ironically dragon leader can be ghouled). They cant even profit from race perks because they dont belong to any race even though again dragon leader can. And they actually took ages to lvl up. so you can get max one squadron plus when they mature, they are so expensive, you will afford only few of them,
I dont know if I agree with you. In the latest game (with 8 NPCs) I had 3 full squads of dragons and the lvling up isnt that big a problem, as long as you keep the opponent vs army size for max exp. After I get my first dragon (of course, with a good hero or 2) I normally fill the squad with youngster. As soon as I meet opponent, I leave a couple of youngsters outside of combat to get the max exp for each participant. That way, it takes me about 3 battles to evovle each dragon (and many times I lvl up several youngsters each battle). The thing with the dragons are a full squad with high mobility. According to me, mobility is the most important factor in every strategy game and in AoW (all iterations, even the first one) Ive allways gone for creatures with high mobility. I tried in this one to make other powerful armies but they were ohhh so slow (I mean, golden golem and horned god, get your thumb out of your....!!!!). Ive tried with beefed up race units but they all lack flying and therefore mobility. In AoW 3 the game actually hade several tier 5 that could be on par with dragons, both in strength and mobility, but I lack that in this iteration.

The best way to win is the one that gives you the most fun. If that's having lots of dragons for you, that's good.
For me it's having lots of fairies, unicorns and Elves riding on wolves.

But really, it's only in favour of the game that there's many options.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The best way to win is the one that gives you the most fun. If that's having lots of dragons for you, that's good.
For me it's having lots of fairies, unicorns and Elves riding on wolves.

But really, it's only in favour of the game that there's many options.

In that aspect I totally agree with you :) But the thing is in AoW III I allways felt like all tomes was valied equally. There was none better than the other and combining was more a preference than what is best. Here I feel like going for dragons and Chaos is allways the best. That said, I would like to see a little more "Oumpf" form the other tomes so that I feel that they really change the way to play the game. The AoW III felt more ready and more a love child of Triumpf than this IV. Its more like they said "To hell with balance and other issues, lets release a fun game with as much content as possible" inAoW III but in this its rather "Lets release what we have and patch everything up later".

To another issue. Ive several times, when lvling up heroes seen other skills showing up, then, when I try to get that skill it disappears (and no, its not of those max lvel choises that locks the others). For example, this happens a lot with advanced lightning evoker. Any one else having this problem?

• 1Like
Reactions:
In that aspect I totally agree with you :) But the thing is in AoW III I allways felt like all tomes was valied equally. There was none better than the other and combining was more a preference than what is best. Here I feel like going for dragons and Chaos is allways the best. That said, I would like to see a little more "Oumpf" form the other tomes so that I feel that they really change the way to play the game. The AoW III felt more ready and more a love child of Triumpf than this IV. Its more like they said "To hell with balance and other issues, lets release a fun game with as much content as possible" inAoW III but in this its rather "Lets release what we have and patch everything up later".

To another issue. Ive several times, when lvling up heroes seen other skills showing up, then, when I try to get that skill it disappears (and no, its not of those max lvel choises that locks the others). For example, this happens a lot with advanced lightning evoker. Any one else having this problem?

I can understand that. I had not considered that POV, since I rarely ever get into games deep enough to really work out, or even look up whether the different options the player is given are balanced. I mean if something is super-OP or UP I will notice, like even I noticed that the Shadow Tomes were pretty crap in the beginning, or the Vine Prison exploit. But otherwise I'll just use whatever I like or make thematic/RP choices without worrying much whether they are balanced or not.
But I can understand that from your POV it would be good, or even crucial, to have the game more balanced. I agree that in that aspect the game still needs more work, especially for people who are into MP.
I also suspect that perhaps the all the DLC units and options might end up being a little OP, simply because they are added later and to make them seem cooler for buyers.

I feel like ranged units with the right boosts absolutely crush dragons, it's not even a contest. With a few enchantments you can make a T1 unit do more dps than a dragon so why would you ever need them when they cost a million times more? If you have lots of armies you can attack many targets at once you don't need flying. Also late game teleporters give you good mobility.

Overall my experience is the opposite of yours, I find non racial t4/5 units not cost-effective at all.

The AI is not competent in this game so to find really optimal builds multiplayer is much more relevant. And in multplayer having an army that takes 50 turns to replace due to needing evolution means that you lose the game if you lose your main stack once.

As Gyrvendal already said AI is extremely forgiving so you can get away with pretty much anything.

When it comes to dragons I think you are overvaluing them by a big margin, not only they are expensive unit to recruit and upkeep, but on top of that they require substantial amount of time to evolve. All that investment can melt as any other unit if they are focused (and it should imo). If you want to try the "absolutely best way" try hero armies, those monstrosities can break anything and imo need a hard balance pass especially when it comes to skill progression and accumulative power (hard recruit limits are not the answer).

All that said tho I can somewhat agree if we are talking about Tome of Dragons in particular. It is one tome that have units for 3 tomes (I think it was a mistake to put all that in one tome).

• 1Like
Reactions: