• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(26)

Captain
Jan 20, 2000
Visit site
hello,
I have seen from new screen shot, that there is recrutement centers in some provinces. (this thing exist only for spain in the board game)
Does this mean that armies can only be raised from this provinces. Is there a maximum limit to 'conscription' in a single province?

You can build them providing you have the right tech level + cash to build it. It only works where you have people from the same nationality.

Marcus

Supply works by provinces. You can cut out the supply by moving troops behind his lines.
If you are allied with someoone you get his supply levels as well. So you can use other allies as 'springboards' and attack your enemy. Being out of supply is devastating, it slices down your armies quicker than bread. IMHO this works better than TOAW supply. It allows for some actual maneuver warfare.

Havent played Nap1813 so cant comment on the game. Btw did they release more patches?

marcus

[This message has been edited by marcusjm (edited 22-01-2000).]

In the boardgame, you could cut the supply lines of ennemies to force retreat of an army.
There weren't logistical units per se.
Supply was tested at each end of a game turn (composed of several impulses when you were able to move armies).
Cities are source of supply and you had to have a valid supply line to one of your controlled city. The supply source had to be at 6 movement points or less of your army.
Otherwise, your army was obliged to retreat to the nearest suuply source, suffering an attrition in the movement.
If an army couldn't reach any supply source, the army was eliminated.

I presume the same system exist in the PC version

Pierre

Actually we went a step further than the board game. Armies are not forced to retreat, they just take a lot more heavy attrition and are eventually you have to retreat.

Our rules of supply is if you are adjacent to a province with a city you control you are in supply.

This is a realtime game where 1 month can equal 1 minute, and not as in the board game where you have a turn of a year. This makes it so that we can have more fluid rules and increase ease of use.

/Johan @ Paradox

<< You can build them providing you have the right tech level + cash to build it. It only works where you have people from the same nationality.

Is it possible to have multi-ethnic armies in EU? For example, can Russia recruit (muslim)soldiers from the provinces of Khazan once Khazan has been conquered and annexed by Russia?

Thanks
Brutal

You get additional numbers in your army after annexing a country obviously, since they move over to your side.
However you cannot directly purchase any mercenaries. i.e. Don't think there is an actual option such as that.

As a vassal / ally they can be asked to help you with an invasion, etc.

Sap

If you consider history, most of the armies of this period were using mercenaries massively (scot archers in france, swiss and german lansquenets, ...).
But in a grand strategical games, It is not very easy to represent small detachements of such mercenaries. We can perhaps consider that when armies are raised, a part of them are mercenaries.
In all case, as Sapura said it, if you realy want mercenaries, try to allied with people you want as mercenaries. It's cheaper (you don't have to paid) and it is more easy to sacrify allied than own troups (Durring napoleonic war, England was ready to fight again Napoleon until the last prussian ;-)

New annexed or conqured land are avaliable for recruitement just like any other else would.

Since every territory have the ability to recruit you could say that it is local people as well as mercenaries. You could however not fill up your armies while out, new forces have to come from your own lines (or allies).

The boardgame offers a wide range of minor countries.
Depending of your level of control over them, you are able to force into war at your side. The level of their war effort depend of other factors.

I remember that there was an event where major power could bid for a leader which is a mercenary.

Beside that, no mercenaries at all.
Raising troops obey to the global system. You could consider that among those troops, you could find mercenaries.

Pierre

Btw I noticed Sapura and me got promoted to forum veterans. Sounds like hardy old fighters with beard and wood legs and all :)

Marcus

Nah :)

We're just two European lamers who don't have a life and love the smell of EU forums, wherever they may be.
So Marc, inbetween programming you take breaks, feasting on mint choc ice cream and writing clever replies in EU forums then it take it? :)

The day we start to reply regulary to _3_ EU forums is the day i marry Johan's pet lemming.

Sap'er.