Railroad and Utilities pricing and labour shortages

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AncasterMike

Sergeant
20 Badges
Nov 10, 2004
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
Love this game until the late game, when the economy tends to become unmanageable. To make it manageable, I tend to prefer Laissez Faire and Free Trade and let the capitalists reinvest in industries. For most goods, this works great. More profitable industries grow quickly.

This does not seem to work with railways and utilities, however. Their prices never seem to rise much above 15, even during shortages. This is strange, because in the real world these goods respond more sharply than most to local surpluses and shortages. Anyway, in the early and mid game this is not too much of the problem and the player manually build as needed. However, in the late game when labour gets tighter (no peasants to promote) these industries can lose all of their workers and cause massive shortages of everything else. Any workers there are "fired", but I assume they are being competed away to dependent industries that have properly priced products.

I'm not certain this is the cause, but I think better localized pricing mechanics for transportation and electricity would improve the game. If I build a railroad in Tonga, the price of transport there should be very cheap and the staffing should probably never reach full capacity. My level 16 railway in Flanders shouldn't "fire" loads of staff unless there is an economic calamity like a general strike. A major shortage of electricity or transportation should cause their prices to spike massively.

Reactions:
Power and railway lines are two industries that historically are quite commonly under government control or which have significant government regulation (price caps, etc rather than free markets).

I feel the game is simulating this by encouraging you to subsidise them. That way you also feel they are important but they aren't great profit centers.

Reactions:
The last mile in rail and electricity is a natural monopoly that is normally regulated. But the difference between a level 1 and level 20 railway or power plant is the supply to that last mile, which is not.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The last mile in rail and electricity is a natural monopoly that is normally regulated. But the difference between a level 1 and level 20 railway or power plant is the supply to that last mile, which is not.
As it's modeled in-game, railways are basically just last-mile supply. Railway levels only impact the ability of pops and industries in a state to reach the national market.

• 1Like
Reactions: