• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I got that scope from your own events, the test events file.

I can't find any reference to that in the test_events.txt file. Even so, always check the error log.

Always thought stations were too weak so I changed them in the txt file to make them tougher. How do I now convert that into a mod and upload to the workshop so I can leave the vanilla file untouched?

Just re-upload it how you uploaded it in the first place.
I have the same questions as below in that case:
Wouldn't that make a new copy? Where people would have to re-subscribe? Also, how do you add the initial Workshop picture, the one you see when you browse? I know you can add pictures/videos, but I don't know how to add the initial picture when uploading a mod.

Wouldn't that make a new copy? Where people would have to re-subscribe? Also, how do you add the initial Workshop picture, the one you see when you browse? I know you can add pictures/videos, but I don't know how to add the initial picture when uploading a mod.

No, not if you first hit Fetch Info. If it finds the mod already on Steam you will update it rather than re-upload it as a new mod. It's not a very good system but I'm working on a list of improvements for the Engine Team to implement (when they have the time).

You can add a thumbnail picture but adding picture = filename.extension in your .mod file.

@Captain Gars I mean adding additional shape files. So you can only use and edit the four (elliptical, ring, spiral_2, spiral_4) LUA documents? You cant add any custom additional ones to the game you can only edit the original ones? That's kind of a limiting handicap for customization and modablity don't you think? Space game where you can't add additional map layouts... :( :(

Unfortunately that is the case.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Id like to add my voice to those wondering how to add the initial workshop picture. I put my image in both the mods folder itself and in the stellaris/mod one and got nothing but Errors uploading the mod to steam.

EDIT: Heres my .mod file

name="Trump Race"
path="mod/trumpadump"
tags={
"Species"
}
picture="trump.jpg"
supported_version="1.0.1"

EDIT 2: Never mind! I restarted Stellaris and its all loaded up properly.... Ignore me!

Last edited:
What is event effect that will change "founder species" of an empire? Not an individual pop (those change just fine), but which pop empire considers its primary for purposes of xenophobia, etc.

In the first example you overwrite the game's define file, so you try to start the game with only one define set, which of course crashes the game. You should only do this when you have a copy of your own containing all defines. If you just want to override certain values, create a file with another name and only overwrite individual values using the format you posted (NDefines.Ncamera.EDGE_SCROLLING_PIXELS = 0).

So it's not possible to copy the 00_defines.lua into my mod and just Change values?

F.e I want to Change
NEBULA_TRAVEL_SPEED_PENALTY = 0.50, -- 50% travel speed penalty

How do I provide localisation into to a new static modifier?

Just add an entry in a localization file:

my_new_static_modifier:0 "Awesome Stuff"

Reactions:
What is event effect that will change "founder species" of an empire? Not an individual pop (those change just fine), but which pop empire considers its primary for purposes of xenophobia, etc.

I believe change_dominant_species.

So it's not possible to copy the 00_defines.lua into my mod and just Change values?

F.e I want to Change
NEBULA_TRAVEL_SPEED_PENALTY = 0.50, -- 50% travel speed penalty

As I said, no. You have to change the name to something else, unless you want to completely overwrite the original file - but then you must be sure to actually have all defines in there.

Sorry, I'm here with another question. Is it possible to edit the amount of tiles on a colonized world? I've added a new technology, type of terraforming and type of planet, but the amount of tiles is way too much. I'd like to make them more expensive as well. Anyone got any suggestions?

Edit:
Thanks for the answer Black_Imperator. Shame, means I'll have to postpone the Exchange Culture option for now.

Quick question; I've made a custom system initializer - works fine but I can't figure out how to tweak the appearance of planets. I want to adjust the color hue of a gas giant. Any way to do this?

Thanks in advance

So this thread is moving so fast I hope you wont mind if I repost my question:

Am I missing something regarding creating pre-defined systems? Because my planet modifiers and strategic resources never show up, even though I'm following the template in the example file. I've confirmed via save-game inspection that there's nothing there.

For example:

planet = {
name = "X"
class = "pc_molten"
orbit_distance = 30
orbit_angle = 15
size = 6
has_ring = no
modifier = "pm_chthonian_planet"
resource = "sr_betharian"
}

planet = {
name = "X"
class = "pc_gas_giant"
orbit_distance = 15
orbit_angle = -195
size = 15
has_ring = no
change_orbit = 4
resource = "sr_zro"
}

Neither of the modifier/resource actually show up, either in the game or in the save game. Am I just missing something stupid?

Also, is there a way to specify resources for station-collection (minerals/energy/research from uncolonizable worlds, for example) that will be revealed on survey?

Sorry, I'm here with another question. Is it possible to edit the amount of tiles on a colonized world? I've added a new technology, type of terraforming and type of planet, but the amount of tiles is way too much. I'd like to make them more expensive as well. Anyone got any suggestions?

Edit:
Thanks for the answer Black_Imperator. Shame, means I'll have to postpone the Exchange Culture option for now.

The max size 25 tiles is hard-coded (I will probably move it to defines, but going above it is not supported by the interface so you would have to fix that). But you can set the number of tiles for planet types in 00_planet_classes. You can also set the number of tiles for a specific planet in solar_system_initializers. Specific values will always override those in the planes class.

This sounds a bit vague for me, but is this line
Code:
FLEET_UPGRADE_TIME_COST_MULT = 0.25,        -- Upgrade fleet cost
for effecting the amount of time it takes to upgrade ships? Would taking it down to 0.01 greatly reduce the time?

Reactions:
Quick question; I've made a custom system initializer - works fine but I can't figure out how to tweak the appearance of planets. I want to adjust the color hue of a gas giant. Any way to do this?

Thanks in advance

You can mod the entity of a planet. Look at Jupiter in prescripted_species_systems for instance. There it sets entity = "gas_giant_jupiter_entity". The entity is defined in \gfx\models\planets\_planetary_entities.asset where you can set what textures it should use.

You can also modify the atmosphere_color in the planet class file.

Reactions:
What file are trade negotiations handled in? Can't seem to find it. I.e., Willingness to engage in certain trades. (Looking to mod when empires will give you civilian access)

Edit: or, failing that, is there someplace where all valid tokens are documented?

Last edited:
So this thread is moving so fast I hope you wont mind if I repost my question:

Am I missing something regarding creating pre-defined systems? Because my planet modifiers and strategic resources never show up, even though I'm following the template in the example file. I've confirmed via save-game inspection that there's nothing there.

For example:

planet = {
name = "X"
class = "pc_molten"
orbit_distance = 30
orbit_angle = 15
size = 6
has_ring = no
modifier = "pm_chthonian_planet"
resource = "sr_betharian"
}

planet = {
name = "X"
class = "pc_gas_giant"
orbit_distance = 15
orbit_angle = -195
size = 15
has_ring = no
change_orbit = 4
resource = "sr_zro"
}

Neither of the modifier/resource actually show up, either in the game or in the save game. Am I just missing something stupid?

Also, is there a way to specify resources for station-collection (minerals/energy/research from uncolonizable worlds, for example) that will be revealed on survey?

Are you sure you have defined it correctly in the planet_modifiers file? And that your pm_chthonian_planet link to an actual modifier in static_modifiers?