• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It would be interesting to see principate system in game. Unfortunately, i don't know how to represent it through game mechanics since Marius update. Hereditary ruler plus consort and two consuls beneath them. Consuls are elected and heir can be nominated at you wish. Seldom Princeps is elected as consul. First question: Is it possible to make elections in monarchy systems (modifying 00_deafult.txt in folder governments) without game crash?

It would be interesting to see principate system in game. Unfortunately, i don't know how to represent it through game mechanics since Marius update. Hereditary ruler plus consort and two consuls beneath them. Consuls are elected and heir can be nominated at you wish. Seldom Princeps is elected as consul. First question: Is it possible to make elections in monarchy systems (modifying 00_deafult.txt in folder governments) without game crash?

The first question I'd have is: Why do you want it to be a monarchy? Just for the succession laws? Second: What do you want their responsibilities to be? I could see you making a princeps system a modified republic with imperial cult succession and consort benefits, and just renaming your party leaders to consuls. But if you want them to do things like govern your capital province, be responsible for levies, etc, then it would get really complicated.

(I never played pre-Marius, so I don't know how it used to function.)

The first question I'd have is: Why do you want it to be a monarchy? Just for the succession laws? Second: What do you want their responsibilities to be? I could see you making a princeps system a modified republic with imperial cult succession and consort benefits, and just renaming your party leaders to consuls. But if you want them to do things like govern your capital province, be responsible for levies, etc, then it would get really complicated.

(I never played pre-Marius, so I don't know how it used to function.)
1) Definitely Monarchy because only thus you can nominate heirs (anyone you want). I guess it's the most simple thing to modify.
2) It doesn't matter whether they can lead troops or rule the capital city. They serve to give some modificators for country. It represents their true role in roman imperial period. Consuls under Augustus or Tiberius didn't have much power but they were still being elected by senate or assemblies. Princeps and Consort rule for life but at the same time every year (2,4,5,10 years) two consuls are being elected. Their portraits are beneath Princeps and his wife.
3) Is it possible to make senate under monarchy in terms of game mechanics?
4) I asked this question because now i m going to start working on mod dedicated to Rome.

Hi all, I would like to apologize for my ignorance in advance. I am not a modder or a coder, but I am wondering what the easiest/best way to get a .PNG file of a coat of arms would be? I took a look into the source code but it appears that the coat of arms are compiled from code, based on more simple images that combine together. I have looked into the built in texture viewer and GUI editor but I can not find the proper way to get just a basic view of the flag. The coat of arms in game all have flag effects and most of them are too small.

If I need to compile the images manually from the code then that seems fine, but I don't know what program I would even use to do that, as my in-game attempts went poorly. If I need to download a new program then that's fine but I preferably would not want to pay money for anything, I don't have photoshop installed.

I could also be missing something completely obvious. If so please let me know, and thanks so much in advance!!!

Edit: Never mind, some upstanding individual already uploaded the flags to the wiki, which is the reason I wanted the .PNG files. I should really be leaving this stuff to the professionals!

Last edited:
Hello!

I'm modding the list of buildings and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to change the order of buildings in the province window? What file is responsible for that?

The ..\common\buildings\00_default.txt isn't.

Tnx in advance! A lot of good karma for you! :)

So I added a new invention for Oratory category, in a new branch, in my personal mod but when I started up the game and loaded in an existing save game, this invention was already unlocked / researched. Is this normal?

There is no telling if this invention is also automatically researched in other countries even though it should not because this invention have have allow = { is_ai = no }, effectively disallowing it for AI countries. So, naturally enough, I am concerned by this unexpected behavior.

Perhaps somebody can help me out here:

I want to create a reaction event to the sacking of the temple of Melqart at Tyre. This basicly involves four events:
1. a special flavour text for when you sack the temple of tyre (if not canaanite preferably)
2. a special flavour text for when the temple of tyre is sacked (and you are of the canaanite religion)
3. an event which creates a new temple for Melqart at Gadir
4. an event which informs all other countries who have Melqart in their pantheon that the Gadir temple now exists

What I run into is that I can't get the game to only trigger these cases when it involves the temple of Tyre.

The problem seems to be this line of code which doesn't work the way I want it to work:
Code:
                    scope:province_deity = {
                        this = deity:omen_melqart
                    }

For case 1. and 2. I tried the following triggered description, but that triggers it for all instances (not just Melqart):
Code:
    desc = {
        first_valid = {
            triggered_desc = {
                limit = {
                    }
                }
                desc = "cr_religious_flavour_events.1.desc"
            }
            triggered_desc = {
                limit = {
                    always = yes
                }
                desc = "desecration.2.desc"
            }
        }
    }

And I tried the following code to trigger case 3 from case 1, but this doesn't work either:
Code:
            if = {
                limit = {
                    }
                    #NOT = { 
                    #    p:743.owner = {
                    #        p:1344.owner = this 
                    #    }
                    #}
                }
                p:1344 = {
                    trigger_event = {
                        id = cr_religious_flavour_events.2
                        days = { 1 5 } 
                    }
                }
            }

Any help?

Perhaps somebody can help me out here:

I want to create a reaction event to the sacking of the temple of Melqart at Tyre. This basicly involves four events:
1. a special flavour text for when you sack the temple of tyre (if not canaanite preferably)
2. a special flavour text for when the temple of tyre is sacked (and you are of the canaanite religion)
3. an event which creates a new temple for Melqart at Gadir
4. an event which informs all other countries who have Melqart in their pantheon that the Gadir temple now exists

What I run into is that I can't get the game to only trigger these cases when it involves the temple of Tyre.

The problem seems to be this line of code which doesn't work the way I want it to work:
Code:
                    }

For case 1. and 2. I tried the following triggered description, but that triggers it for all instances (not just Melqart):
Code:
    desc = {
        first_valid = {
            triggered_desc = {
                limit = {
                    }
                }
                desc = "cr_religious_flavour_events.1.desc"
            }
            triggered_desc = {
                limit = {
                    always = yes
                }
                desc = "desecration.2.desc"
            }
        }
    }

And I tried the following code to trigger case 3 from case 1, but this doesn't work either:
Code:
            if = {
                limit = {
                    }
                    #NOT = {
                    #    p:743.owner = {
                    #        p:1344.owner = this
                    #    }
                    #}
                }
                p:1344 = {
                    trigger_event = {
                        id = cr_religious_flavour_events.2
                        days = { 1 5 }
                    }
                }
            }

Any help?
As I read some of the vanilla events, scope: province deity isn't right. See the desecrate holy site button in the scripted guis, in a province scope it just says:

province_deity = { save_scope_as = provincial_deity }

That says to me that province_deity is always accessible for a province scope (at least one that has a holy site) and that to use it anywhere else (with scope: ) you must first save it as a named scope. Looking for scope: province_deity, I do not know if that is equivalent to just province_deity but I would give it a try since that is how Paradox uses it.

Little question:
Is there a way to change the calculations for estates. I would like to change it according to some culture and religion, but I have yet to find out how it is calculated

Anybody know if there is other ways to modify the ai from integrating cultures, besides
#Culture: CULTURE_CHANGE_HAPPINESS_THRESHOLD = 0.35 # dont change if primary culture happiness modifier is beneath this CULTURE_CHANGE_POPCOUNT_THRESHOLD = 20 # cultures beneath this pop count will be ignored for integration CULTURE_CHANGE_THRESHOLD = 0.015 # how large amount of the population a culture needs to be considered for integration REVOKE_CULTURE_CHANGE_THRESHOLD = 0.01 # how large amount of the population a culture needs to be considered for revoking integration
inside defines.

I've got a mod that reverses pop assimilation so that only integrated pops assimilate, but the Ptolemy's keep trying to integrate the Egyptians. Any ideas or examples that would be useful would be much appreciated.

Nothing too fancy yet, just a census event every ten years that converts x% of integrated pops into primary culture in each region, but I'm thinking of switching to using a province variable value instead, maybe displaying that in the gui if that's possible.

Ah bummer, I was hopeful that the actual integration mechanics were moddable.

Hey, I have been working on making a compatibility patch/compilation for several mods, but I seem to have made a mistake somewhere along the line while doing it.
The game crashes whenever I hover my mouse over the various options on the diplomacy screen, such as declare war. I was wondering which files and entries affect these buttons? It seems like a problem with the tooltip that is supposed to pop up when hovering the mouse over them. I haven't found the entry for those though, so any help in pointing me to the right direction would be valuable.

I have a feeling the problem is in the gui files somewhere, since those are always the most confusing to me, but I am not absolutely sure about that.

I wasn't meticulous enough when testing the changes I made, so I don't know which mod caused this to happen, and I would prefer not to start all over again, or comb through every file to find it.

Thanks in advance!

Are you talking about the percentage that buildings change? If so it is in the building file but I don't think you can change it based on a culture's buildings unless you mod different versions of the same building and restrict it via culture, but that is a lot of work.

Are you talking about the percentage that buildings change? If so it is in the building file but I don't think you can change it based on a culture's buildings unless you mod different versions of the same building and restrict it via culture, but that is a lot of work.
If it's for me, no. I am trying to change the rule of succession according to religion and culture. I did not find the files which allow the calculation of the succession.