• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It is in the culture files located here:
\ImperatorRome\game\common\cultures

Modify the names under the family header in the respective culture files.
I clearly stated that "modifying them through the characters file do nothing and only works for non-famous/great families", explicitly precluding modify the names under the family header in the respective culture files.

Modifying the family headers of great families in the culture files, such as Lagid, Magid, Antipatrid, and Antigonid, do nothing whatsoever.

You did not explicitly preclude modifying the names in the culture files. And modifying those does indeed serves to changing family names. But yeah, there are different files also involved.

I am currently working on a map overhaul mod and as I added more administrative regions I find there aren't enough color codes (maybe?) for all of them in the game. A bunch of them in the Bacria-Sogdia area are now of the same purple color. My question is: where can I find the file to add more colors to new regions?

You can set the colours area's (provinces) and regions (governates) get in the
\ImperatorRome\game\map_data\areas.txt
\ImperatorRome\game\map_data\regions.txt

files by including this line:
Code:
color = hsv { 0.5 1.0 1.0 }  # or named color, or rgb

in their entry

• 1Like
Reactions:
Where are the Diplomatic Actions kept? I'd like to allow all empires to really go to town and interfere with each others stability and unrest so I'd like to adjust "support rebels" to be open to pretty much everyone.

I get this error "[11:35:07][gameobjectlocators.cpp:179]: map object locator "port" is incomplete!" after some changes to provinces.bmp. I am aware what it means, that I am missing a port building in some province - in the port_locators.txt file. Now I searched and searched via map editor, but to no avail. Any smart/quick solution to finding the culprit except going province by province in the editor or the files?

Reactions:
Textured Emblems - Sry, I must be an idiot, I can't for the life of me work out how to get modded textured emblems (flags) to work-in game. This is usually the most basic of modding tasks for any game.

All my new flags have a green filter over the dds / png.

Has anyone worked out how to fix this?

You did not explicitly preclude modifying the names in the culture files. And modifying those does indeed serves to changing family names. But yeah, there are different files also involved.
Unless you are telling me that what has actually happened before my very eyes after I had already purged all -id family names in the culture files were all my own imaginations, the notion that somehow modifying the culture files would change the names of those great families is completely false, modifying the family names in the culture files do not affect great families, notwithstanding the reiterating of otherwise in face of the reality of great families not being governed by the culture files.

Unless you are telling me that what has actually happened before my very eyes after I had already purged all -id family names in the culture files were all my own imaginations, the notion that somehow modifying the culture files would change the names of those great families is completely false, modifying the family names in the culture files do not affect great families, notwithstanding the reiterating of otherwise in face of the reality of great families not being governed by the culture files.

What I am telling you is that you did not explicitly excluded modifying the culture files. You mentioned the character files, not the culture files. Reread your own post if you don't believe me.

But I see you are more interested in arguing then finding a solution, so I'll leave it at that.

Noob question: how do I know (except testing) if my mod is Ironman/Achievements compatible? Did a simple mod that adds a mapmode for impassable terrain and it seems not to be compatible with Achievements. Is there a list with files that if modded disable that? My mod only edits GFX folder (map and interface) and localisation folder. That's it.

It used to be pretty easy to use the setup editor to make changes in-game, but now when I use it, clicking on a province changes the map mode from whichever one I was using. I can still make changes, but it's almost impossible to see what they are. How can I avoid this?

EDIT: I've also noticed there are issues when it comes to converting certain populations. Tribal populations don't seem to convert, and it was very hard to make populations convert to Zoroastrian.

Last edited:
Hello - Never tried modding before, so I'm just changing numbers and hoping my game doesn't crash.

I'm trying to mess with the units created through the tribal migration button, specifically to change them from light inf to light cav or horse archers depending on culture group. I can't quite find the code that connects the button press to the creation of the unit, only is_migrant, etc. (It doesn't help that "migration" describes a few mechanics and events.)

I'd be grateful if someone would help point me in the right direction, since this has eaten up most of my friday afternoon. :) Learning is hard.

Even if I have not started playing I:R, I've decided to test my Clausewitz parser against its script files after doing it for HOI4, Stellaris and CK3.
I have encountered something odd in (and ONLY in) ./events/mission_events/2.0 - Heirs of Alexander/me_antigonids_03_birthright.txt
Instead of the expected {, some of the scopes blocks start with [.
Like in this example, at line 2 (line 176 in the file).
Code:
p:334 = {
    add_province_modifier = [
        name = ant_3_1_1_cmod
        duration = 9125
    }
}
All instance of these unexpected [ are quasi identical (only the modifier and the province id change). It seems like a typo that has been copy/paste'd, but I can't verify wether the tooltips and effects work as intended, as I don't own Heirs of Alexander. All I know is that I haven't found any error mentioning it in the log files after launching the game in debug mode.

So my question is:
Is [ accepted as interchangeable with { by the Clausewitz parser, or does it fail to interpret it?
Not that I intend to make this specific syntax typo, but I would like to know how to treat this case by my own custom parser. Also, that might become a potential bug to report if someone decides to check the in-game behavior.

Noob question: how do I know (except testing) if my mod is Ironman/Achievements compatible? Did a simple mod that adds a mapmode for impassable terrain and it seems not to be compatible with Achievements. Is there a list with files that if modded disable that? My mod only edits GFX folder (map and interface) and localisation folder. That's it.
In all Grand Strategy games developed by Paradox, there is a file named checksum_manifest.txt in the root directory of the game (for I:R, this is /ImperatorRome/game/).
It says which directories can NOT be modified without disabling achievements. Every other directories are safe to modify.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hey guys! Noob question - I'm working on a bit of an East African (and eventually Arabian) rework, with the idea of adding in custom heritages to pretty much all the nations in East Africa and Arabia, and a custom tradition tree for East African nations - at this point, I've got the basic framework hammered out, and am in the process of putting the code together and making sure everything actually works in game. Funny enough - after a little bit of trial and error, it wasn't too big of a deal to get custom heritages to work. However, because this is a pretty neglected region of the game, something I never noticed was just how hilariously unbalanced the region truly was because of Kush - who in every game, whether I touch anything or not, comes to completely curb stomp everybody in East Africa and most of Yemen. Which is pretty funny, because really there was historically another badass in the region named Aksum that pretty much prevented them from doing that - anyway, after a couple of observation games, I've come to two possible resolutions on how to fix the problem without unbalancing Kush and making them a pushover for Egypt - My first resolution is turn Boras into a tribal kingdom - and force them into being Kush's tribal vassal from the start, but no matter what I do in defines, I can't get the game to accept that change. Any suggestions? Barring that - it would be to remove Boras as a tag altogether and severe the Connection between Kush and Ethiopia entirely until the Boras region is colonized, and give whoever comes to dominate the Ethiopian region hopefully enough time to get strong enough to be somewhat of a challenge for Kush or whoever becomes the pre-eminent power in the region.

Hey guys! question - I'm working on a bit of an East African (and eventually Arabian) rework, with the idea of adding in custom heritages to pretty much all the nations in East Africa and Arabia, and a custom tradition tree for East African nations - at this point, I've got the basic framework hammered out, and am in the process of putting the code together and making sure everything actually works in game. Funny enough - after a little bit of trial and error, it wasn't too big of a deal to get custom heritages to work. However, because this is a pretty neglected region of the game, something I never noticed was just how hilariously unbalanced the region truly was because of Kush - who in every game, whether I touch anything or not, comes to completely curb stomp everybody in East Africa and most of Yemen. Which is pretty funny, because really there was historically another badass in the region named Aksum that pretty much prevented them from doing that - anyway, after a couple of observation games, I've come to two possible resolutions on how to fix the problem without unbalancing Kush and making them a pushover for Egypt - My first resolution is turn Boras into a tribal kingdom - and force them into being Kush's tribal vassal from the start, but no matter what I do in defines, I can't get the game to accept that change. Any suggestions? Barring that - it would be to remove Boras as a tag altogether and severe the Connection between Kush and Ethiopia entirely until the Boras region is colonized, and give whoever comes to dominate the Ethiopian region hopefully enough time to get strong enough to be somewhat of a challenge for Kush or whoever becomes the pre-eminent power in the region.
You can definitely remove the tag altogether easily by finding the tag on the wiki (in this case BOR) and just commenting out everything under BOR={...} in setup\main\00_default.txt.

In that same file, there's:
#Egypt
dependency = { first = EGY second = ADR subject_type = feudatory }
dependency = { first = EGY second = KOS subject_type = feudatory }
dependency = { first = EGY second = DOD subject_type = client_state }
so adding:
dependency = { first = KSH second = BOR subject_type = vassal_tribe }
does the trick, by my testing.

Regarding having Boras start as a tribal kingdom, I'm not sure what that means. It can either be a settled tribe, a federated tribe or a kind of monarchy, but I think Tribal Kingdom is a decision to change from migratory to settled, not a government type.

Worth noting is I don't think tribal vassals fight for their overlords. They just pay manpower and get free civilization in return. They also can't be integrated until they graduate to nontribal. You could graduate them to a monarchy and turn them into a feudatory or something, if you would prefer them to help Kush out against Egypt.

EDIT: I now see the reason making them a tribal vassal helps balance out the East African region, which was your whole objective. Sorry for not reading too carefully. I really like your idea for revamping the region a bit. I'm running an observation game now. (I have a couple other mods active, so keep that in mind.)

454: Kush seems to 'eat' Boras with colonization.
460: Aksum imprudently attacks Boras, gets curb stomped by Kush and Boras but no land is taken, like you planned.
470: Aksum slowly eating everything it can, Himjar controls straits.

1616373731606.jpeg

Last edited:
You can definitely remove the tag altogether easily by finding the tag on the wiki (in this case BOR) and just commenting out everything under BOR={...} in setup\main\00_default.txt.

In that same file, there's:

so adding:

does the trick, by my testing.

Regarding having Boras start as a tribal kingdom, I'm not sure what that means. It can either be a settled tribe, a federated tribe or a kind of monarchy, but I think Tribal Kingdom is a decision to change from migratory to settled, not a government type.

Worth noting is I don't think tribal vassals fight for their overlords. They just pay manpower and get free civilization in return. They also can't be integrated until they graduate to nontribal. You could graduate them to a monarchy and turn them into a feudatory or something, if you would prefer them to help Kush out against Egypt.

Thank you for the reply! really appreciate the help.

I wasn't 100% sure what some of the different tribal government types were either, I was kind of going off other country types - but I wanted to turn Boras into a settled Tribe rather than a despotic monarchy. Yes, I wanted Boras to not fight for Kush - but provide basically a buffer between them and Aksum, or whoever came to dominate that particular region; which could ostensibly be Kush, but shouldn't be 100% of the time like has been in every single test observation so far.

I don't know why adding Kush's diplomacy options directly under Egypts seemed to do the trick, but it did - which makes absolutely no sense to me, since using Notepad ++ didn't tell me I did anything wrong as far as inputting code. But I'm not going to question it. Thanks again!

Thank you for the reply! really appreciate the help.

I wasn't 100% sure what some of the different tribal government types were either, I was kind of going off other country types - but I wanted to turn Boras into a settled Tribe rather than a despotic monarchy. Yes, I wanted Boras to not fight for Kush - but provide basically a buffer between them and Aksum, or whoever came to dominate that particular region; which could ostensibly be Kush, but shouldn't be 100% of the time like has been in every single test observation so far.

I don't know why adding Kush's diplomacy options directly under Egypts seemed to do the trick, but it did - which makes absolutely no sense to me, since using Notepad ++ didn't tell me I did anything wrong as far as inputting code. But I'm not going to question it. Thanks again!
For me, modding I:R has been a series of disasters that occasionally yield wisdom, kind of like walking around in the dark and hitting walls every now and again. Make a thread about this mod once you get further along at it. I like the idea and would enjoy playing in the region if it were more interesting.

For me, modding I:R has been a series of disasters that occasionally yield wisdom, kind of like walking around in the dark and hitting walls every now and again. Make a thread about this mod once you get further along at it. I like the idea and would enjoy playing in the region if it were more interesting.
I'm thankful that you're willing to share it. I'm actually attempting to work with another modder who has done a lot of great work adding in heritages and filling out regions on the map that have seemed a bit vacant, and at least in regards to East Africa and the Arabian Peninsula I've done some reading and research on this particular area in antiquity and felt it was woefully lacking and wanted to see if there was anything I could do to help maybe make it a bit more interesting for players interested in the mod. So my work is still very much WIP since I'm particularly new at this, but I'm absolutely serious in getting this done in a somewhat timely manner.

• 1Like
Reactions: