Quick Questions/ Quick Answers - HoI4

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Two questions about unexpected results when loading a saved game. First, every time I come back to a saved game, I find that I have suffered a loss of resources. Steel and aluminum seem to be the principal resources affected but that could simply be the two resources I'm using most heavily. The losses are restored as soon as I cross over to the next calendar day, but the damage has been done since I must either seek resources on the market to cover my deficiencies (losing civilian factories for a turn in the process) or lose production for a turn until the numbers return on the following day. It's quite annoying. The second question concerns a new problem I had not previously encountered. I'm playing Italy, and I'm waging a major campaign in the Southwest Pacific. My Indonesian Order allies were involved in a prolonged slugfest in New Guinea, with Japanese troops doing most of the lifting, with spotty help from Germany and others. My own air force provided the entire air support there with both fighters and close air support, that, in some cases, meant the difference between stopping allied attacks versus being pushed back. In the meantime, I conquered, in order, Australia, New Zealand, and the Solomons. From the Solomons, I invaded the Bismarck section so that I could gain the Rabaul port and get behind the Allies fighting in Papua. I took the Bismarck area all alone with no help from any of my allies, being careful to launch all my invasions from ports in Italy controlled Solomons, and used my gains, along with an invasion of Port Moresby to completely encircle and destroy the remaining Allied forces. When I saved the game to exit, the Indonesian Order had been assigned control of Papua and West Papua, which was not unexpected, but I was controlling Bismarck. Imagine my surprise when I came back a day later to that saved position, only to find that Bismarck was now controlled by the Indonesian Order. How do these things happen?

I decided to wait on adding the newest DLC, so I was forced to go back to a prior version of the game in order to play my saved game as Italy. I noticed one big change -- the option to mine for resources in certain provinces under your country's control was no longer available. My question, then, is whether that change was a design change for the entire game or was it merely a flaw in setting up a version of the game that I could play without all the updates that were tied in to the new DLC?

First, every time I come back to a saved game, I find that I have suffered a loss of resources. Steel and aluminum seem to be the principal resources affected but that could simply be the two resources I'm using most heavily. The losses are restored as soon as I cross over to the next calendar day
That is a known bug since some time, which has not been fixed so far.

CZE will automatically become GiE should it join Allies before having been overrun by GER. Nothing special is required. And if CZE is Democratic or Non-Aligned it'll automatically join Allies after GER declares.
Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I’m referring to historical scenario where Czechoslovakia is annexed by the German focus tree without any war.

I decided to wait on adding the newest DLC, so I was forced to go back to a prior version of the game in order to play my saved game as Italy. I noticed one big change -- the option to mine for resources in certain provinces under your country's control was no longer available. My question, then, is whether that change was a design change for the entire game or was it merely a flaw in setting up a version of the game that I could play without all the updates that were tied in to the new DLC?
The Stella Polaris patch 1.13.1 changed many of the resources for the entire game irrespective of DLC content. The HOI4 wiki page List of states includes an up to date sortable table that can be put into ascending or descending order by resource. Unfortunately, the latest HOI4v 1.13.6 Resource History Spreadsheet has yet to be published, however, you can view an earlier version at this link HOI4v 1.12.9 Resource History Spreadsheet.

With respect to the resource prospecting decisions, a WinMerge comparison of the common\decisions\resource_prospecting.txt file indicates that these decisions are largely unchanged except for the addition of the deeper_swedish_mines and the expand_greenlands_mines.

A WinMerge comparison of all decision files revealed a few additional "resource related" decisions:
  • ICE_drilling_for_oil_off_shore
  • SWE_seize_civilian_tires

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Stella Polaris patch 1.13.1 changed many of the resources for the entire game irrespective of DLC content. The HOI4 wiki page List of states includes an up to date sortable table that can be put into ascending or descending order by resource. Unfortunately, the latest HOI4v 1.13.6 Resource History Spreadsheet has yet to be published, however, you can view an earlier version at this link HOI4v 1.12.9 Resource History Spreadsheet.

With respect to the resource prospecting decisions, a WinMerge comparison of the common\decisions\resource_prospecting.txt file indicates that these decisions are largely unchanged except for the addition of the deeper_swedish_mines and the expand_greenlands_mines.

A WinMerge comparison of all decision files revealed a few additional "resource related" decisions:
  • ICE_drilling_for_oil_off_shore
  • SWE_seize_civilian_tires
So I think you're telling me that those options should still be there when I went back to an earlier version. Since I can't mine for anything, that must be a flaw in what the developers set up for players like me. And, theoretically, when I finally upgrade to the new DLC, those options will reappear. Is that right?

That is a known bug since some time, which has not been fixed so far.
Paradox games are "renowned" for such issues. Very frustrating, given the cost of keeping up with the game. The error in the Italian focus tree under the Naval section has not yet been fixed either, as far as I know.

So I think you're telling me that those options should still be there when I went back to an earlier version. Since I can't mine for anything, that must be a flaw in what the developers set up for players like me. And, theoretically, when I finally upgrade to the new DLC, those options will reappear. Is that right?
If you play the base game, then the resources will automatically be changed when you load HOI4v 1.13. You do not need to buy the Arms Against Tyranny, AAT, DLC to get these base changes in resources. However, you must buy the AAT DLC to get the extra resource decisions.

If you go from HOI4v 1.13.6 and subsequently load HOI4v 1.12 and keep AAT enabled, then the resource changes will revert back to the older version of resources, but the extra resource decisions should remain available.

How do I use an ability such as Staff Office Plan? I know from the wiki that all field marshals have this ability and I have seen it used by an AI enemy but how can I trigger it myself?
You have this thing when you select an army:
Battleplanwindow.png

Simply click button (third in the upper row in this case) and it'll activate, provided you have enough Command Power to fuel it (scales with amount of battalions, IIRC).

Reactions:
And another question. I understand that naval invasions can only happen when there is 50% naval supremacy and also they require 70 (baseline) days of preparation. But is the naval superiority required for even the preparation to start?

If you play the base game, then the resources will automatically be changed when you load HOI4v 1.13. You do not need to buy the Arms Against Tyranny, AAT, DLC to get these base changes in resources. However, you must buy the AAT DLC to get the extra resource decisions.

If you go from HOI4v 1.13.6 and subsequently load HOI4v 1.12 and keep AAT enabled, then the resource changes will revert back to the older version of resources, but the extra resource decisions should remain available.
Thanks. I think I'm playing the avalanche version that paradox created in order for players like me to still be able to enjoy a saved game from before 1.13. It lacks any resource mining, but I'm almost finished with my old game, and when I do finish, I will load the latest upgrade. Might purchase the AAT DLC at that time as well.

• 1Like
Reactions:
When a new ship is built, where do I actually find it?
Typically, in reserve fleet of the top-most theatre. If you want location - it's the highest-level naval base with land connection to your capital (or one of - my guess they figure out priority via state ID or somesuch).

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have quite a few divisions waiting for reinforcement items (infantry equipment, artillery etc). How do I prioritize some divisions to ensure they are reinforced first? They are the spearhead of a planned invasion that is still some months away.

I have quite a few divisions waiting for reinforcement items (infantry equipment, artillery etc). How do I prioritize some divisions to ensure they are reinforced first? They are the spearhead of a planned invasion that is still some months away.
Elite templates and high-priority theatre. Priority depends on combination of the two, basically (first theatre, then templates within the theatre).

• 1Like
Reactions:
  1. Most granular yet most effort intensive -- for every "normal" DIV template create a copy with no equipment allowed (equipment button in the DIV template designer). Then switch all your DIVs to no equipment templates except those that you want to go on receiving reinforcements. Only the latter will be getting equipment. You can do the same with garrisons and turn on and off equipment flow to separate states. Or disable reinforcements to garrisons at all and send all equipment to fighting DIVs.
  2. Less granular yet less microeing as well.
    1. DIV template reinforcement priority -- orange and red arrows in the upper right corner. You set that in main window of the DIV template designer.
    2. Theater reinforcement priority -- orage and red arrows as well. You set that by pressign the round button next to the theater name.
    3. Allocation between reinforcement / upgrade / garrison etc. -- green / yellow/ red radio buttons in the main window of the DIV training UI.

• 1Like
Reactions: