Quick Questions/ Quick Answers - HoI4

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Are tech upgrades (like +soft attack) applied to battalions? or division types (as general skills do)? or use some other, less intuitive method?

Are tech upgrades (like +soft attack) applied to battalions? or division types (as general skills do)? or use some other, less intuitive method?
the former. if the text is confusing, you can hover over the modifier in the tech screen and it will open a tooltip showing to which specific battalions the upgrade applies.

Reactions:
@el nora
Thanks. Thought so.

I'd rather not take tooltips at face value, though: IIRC, text mentions nothing about how the buff actually applied, while those pictures can really mean anything.

Which reminds me:
do heavy cruisers benefit from screen buffs, by chance? and do they actually benefit from ones for capitals?
I mean, they are considered screens by design company, so can't really apply logic to this one.

I'd rather not take tooltips at face value, though: IIRC, text mentions nothing about how the buff actually applied, while those pictures can really mean anything.
Each country keeps its own copy of each subunit type. "Subunit" may refer to battalions, support companies, ships, and airwings; the buffs to ships and planes in the respective doctrine techs use the same system.

A country's version is the base version with all the changes from tech applied on top. Changing subunits is an exclusive ability of technologies.
If a technology effect shows a unit icon and is listed under "Upgrades", it always refers to such subunit stats. Though not used in vanilla, a technology can have multiple levels in which case the modifiers are accordingly applied multiple times.

A technology could also utilize division modifiers but they would be listed as "Global stats" in the technology effects (i.e. it would read "Global stats Infantry Division Attack 10%" without any icons). https://hoi4.paradoxwikis.com/Technology_modding lists all the things a technology effect can contain; unlocking and buffing battalions ("subunits") are two of those options.
AFAIK the techs which show a specific battalion as the recipient of their upgrades are all accurate.
The ones with unit categories (all frontline battalions, all support battalions etc.) function exactly the same as if all these unit types were listed separately.

Reactions:
Again some things have come up recently:

1. If i have air units / land divisions with mixed equipment levels (e.g. FTR I and FTR II) in combat i come to the impression that the most modern equipment gets destroyed first. Is correct or do i misinterpret the evolving composition numbers? If modern really gets prioritised - is there anything i can do about that?

2. Does the 'surprise attack' espionage mission (sry for not finding the correct term on the spot) actually create a state of war between you and your target - even with you not having a wargoal on your future opponent - as the tooltip indicates?

3. Before BftB when playing GER i got a conquest wargoal on YUG after putting pressure twice on them when the relevant events showed up. This does not seem to be the case any more. Has this been changed or did i get just unlucky?

• 1Like
Reactions:
1. If i have air units / land divisions with mixed equipment levels (e.g. FTR I and FTR II) in combat i come to the impression that the most modern equipment gets destroyed first. Is correct or do i misinterpret the evolving composition numbers? If modern really gets prioritised - is there anything i can do about that?
As far as I can tell it is implementation-defined. I.e. whichever type/variant was added first to the wing gets destroyed first.

Reactions:
2. Does the 'surprise attack' espionage mission (sry for not finding the correct term on the spot) actually create a state of war between you and your target - even with you not having a wargoal on your future opponent - as the tooltip indicates?
It does. You need a wargoal to run it, though (wargoals on target's puppets work too).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Does the upgrade "Government cypher school" change the actual cypher of the player country, and thus, should be researched just before a war starts? Or did I misunderstand something I heard in a video?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Does the upgrade "Government cypher school" change the actual cypher of the player country, and thus, should be researched just before a war starts? Or did I misunderstand something I heard in a video?
it increases the total amount of cypher decryption progress necessary to decrypt your cypher. with only a department, it takes 16250 decryption to decrypt your cypher, which can and will be done pre-war. by researching the government cypher school once, you increase that by 4250 encryption. so any nation that has currently decrypted your cypher is left trying to catch back up in decrypting the added encryption, and until they do, your cypher is no longer decrypted.

Reactions:
I know that generals already having traits makes unlocking new traits slower. However, does anyone know if only Earned Traits slow the acquisition of new traits, or do General and Field Marshal traits also do so? E.g., I know that if my general already has Organizer, he'll be slower gaining Panzer Leader, but does him having Guerrilla Fighter or Logistics Wizard also slow it down?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Have been away from the game for a while. Looks like a lot of fun improvements are in the works. Without digging thru a couple thousand posts, van anyone rely when its expected to launch? Doesn't look like it's available for preorder yet, so obviously nothing official. But this group sometimes has a good sense for when releases are coming.

Thanks in advance.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I know that generals already having traits makes unlocking new traits slower. However, does anyone know if only Earned Traits slow the acquisition of new traits, or do General and Field Marshal traits also do so? E.g., I know that if my general already has Organizer, he'll be slower gaining Panzer Leader, but does him having Guerrilla Fighter or Logistics Wizard also slow it down?
only earned traits slow down the xp gain of further earned traits. assignable traits do not, nor do background / personality traits.

Reactions:
only earned traits slow down XP gain, thank god. assign traits you know you'll want as soon as you can, since most increase damage output and therefore XP gain as well.

Reactions:
Have been away from the game for a while. Looks like a lot of fun improvements are in the works. Without digging thru a couple thousand posts, van anyone rely when its expected to launch? Doesn't look like it's available for preorder yet, so obviously nothing official. But this group sometimes has a good sense for when releases are coming.

Thanks in advance.
late summer - early fall.

• 1Like
Reactions:
My quickie of the day:

What must a JAP player (unmodded game, historical play) do to ensure that Siam goes Fascist / becomes willing to join his faction?

I tend to see AI Siam become democratic / stay non-aligned and unwilling to cooperate - even after Indo-China got occupied.

• 1Like
Reactions:
My quickie of the day:

What must a JAP player (unmodded game, historical play) do to ensure that Siam goes Fascist / becomes willing to join his faction?

I tend to see AI Siam become democratic / stay non-aligned and unwilling to cooperate - even after Indo-China got occupied.

Huh, still no answer to the above?

And i have a new one already:

Is there any difference between starting and finishing a collab operation before a war has started or it having begun already?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Huh, still no answer to the above?
Well, I usually just invaded them during campaign in China >.>

Before that, improving relations seemed to have helped, but you'd have to look into specific event code to know for sure.

Is there any difference between starting and finishing a collab operation before a war has started or it having begun already?
AFAIK, none whatsoever. Just gotta finish operations before they take effect: any on-going ones won't boost collab further.

• 1Like
Reactions: