• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LumberKing

Philosopher
106 Badges
Dec 16, 2013
www.christianforums.com
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
Hello everyone. For some time (not that long actually), I had a problem whenever I converted the Crusader Kings II save file into a Europa Universalis IV mod using the official converter where a lot of the countries will come out as "Y50", "Z31", et cetera. It was such a hassle trying to deal with this until I stumbled across this: Broken CK2>EU4 conversion.

So what I discovered from that forum is that the problem is simply due to the wrong encoding. So this is what you have to do if you are using Linux (maybe even Mac):
1. Find the file "converted_countries_l_english.yml" in the "localisation" folder (which is all in your converted mod folder)
2. Open it using gedit
3. Go to "File" and press "Save As"
4. Change the "Character Encoding" to "UTF-8" then click "Save"

Boom! You're done, everything should be fixed now. So instead of the mighty empire of Z81 attacking the puny merchant republic of Y08 enraging the theocratic state of X33, it can show it as the mighty empire of Carpathia swallowing up the puny merchant republic of Bosnia enraging the theocratic state of East Francia, for example.

You can also change the country names and their adjectives as well in that same file, so if you don't like dynasty names like Bahrid, you can change it back into Egypt. Or if you want to get creative, you could change it to whatever you like, so instead of West Francia you could have Vichy France, instead of Rus you could have The North, instead of the Latin Empire you could have Mewtwo for example. I believe this only works for the countries with country tags and not the default countries though being a mod I believe this could be easily change. Also don't forget to change the names of the country in the "Country" folder.

I hope this helps for those who have been having trouble.

Last edited:
When you saved, was it from "Western-8859-15" to "UTF-8" or was it already set as "UTF-8"? The editor shouldn't matter if it gives the option anyway, but it wouldn't hurt to use gedit since it is a good editor.