• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In an attempt to help turn things around and with enough covert operatives now in place, a coup attempt was triggered in Ankara late on the night of 12 April 1948. And this time, it met with success! Sefik Hüsnü was installed as President and Pertev Naili Boratav as Prime Minister, though a number of conservative former regime figures were kept in place, including Ismet Inönü as Chief of Staff, Sükrü Kaya as Security Minister, Sükrü Ögel as Head of Intelligence and Ali Örlungat at Air Force Chief! [Some familiar names there for Talking Turkey readers.]
:eek: Boratav is a researcher on Turkish folklore, and has nothing to do with politics or warfare lol

What a fun alternative universe this is :D

In the end, Moscow went for the ‘short term sugar hit’ of bringing Turkey into the war, in part to distract the Allies and also in case the opportunity might slip away if left too long. The call to arms was issued and the pact concluded at 0600hr on 14 April. Turkey then immediately declared war on the Allies.
Ohhh this will not end well :D

Spoiler: Endnote: Brief Analysis of Current Position
Just change to normal difficulty and kick their asses in good style! Or if you think it's a foregone conclusion that you'll kick their asses and nothing to write about, you can call it a day as well. Fighting it out in VH would be like a slow grind where we lose in the end. Or do you think we can still turn this around? Maybe a paradrop to an undefended VP province and another nuke that would take Germany out of the war?

• 3Like
Reactions:
The Turkish coup experiment didn’t turn out well at all: being the first time I’d done one in a game that worked, I didn’t know what to look for.
Just change to normal difficulty and kick their asses in good style! Or if you think it's a foregone conclusion that you'll kick their asses and nothing to write about, you can call it a day as well. Fighting it out in VH would be like a slow grind where we lose in the end. Or do you think we can still turn this around? Maybe a paradrop to an undefended VP province and another nuke that would take Germany out of the war?
It’s a quandary. It could still be a challenge on normal now, I think, perhaps even if starting the month over again at that rating and either having the coup in Turkey fail, but if it does work managing it a lot better. I suppose one option could be to play the difficulty rating as an adjustment period, taking the Turkey fiasco on the chin, in May it goes to hard, then in June back to normal as the Soviets get used to the new devolved command system.

Then again, if I call it now, I finish the other three AARs more quickly - and maybe start a new HOI3 one when TT and Rome are done, plus start working on my mod again. Choices, choices!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chinese capital of Chengdu
That is an interesting choice, Paradox.

number of conservative former regime figures were kept in place, including Ismet Inönü as Chief of Staff, Sükrü Kaya as Security Minister, Sükrü Ögel as Head of Intelligence and Ali Örlungat at Air Force Chief! [Some familiar names there for Talking Turkey readers.]
Nice to see our favorite right-wing communists have not been liquidated.

But the Allies had obviously not been expecting this move and had no forces deployed along the European border.
This seems promising.

In retrospect, the apparent benefit of finally, after years of trying, getting Turkey into the Comintern camp had backfired horribly. The greatest diplomatic stroke of recent years could well have sounded the death knell for the entire Soviet war effort. The Allies, with vast numbers of divisions to spare, may now soon be able to pour through Turkey freely.
And ended in disaster! I think this dooms the Middle East and forces a withdrawal to the Caucasus.

So, dear readAARs, it is pretty much as I had expected. Allied numbers were just too big for much to be done in the West, especially after the very hard setting emboldened the Allies to start attacking early and not letting up, on the ground and in the air.
Even with human command, the very hard difficulty seems too much to handle. I've seen someone win Gotterdammerung Germany on very hard, but he had to cheese the system by making extremely hard divisions that nothing could penetrate. I don't see any point in doing that for this AAR honestly.

And then also, I hadn’t checked to see the effect of the coup on Turkish NU, thinking they probable loss of Istanbul would still allow the rest of their army to come west in time to keep them in the war and divert the Allies. In retrospect, it makes perfect sense that a coup of that nature would lower NU, but duh, I’d never executed one before, so didn’t think of it. And I did want to try the mechanic out.
It seems reasonable that their NU tanked, but it's too bad you didn't notice before. I don't think Turkey ever would have been a good ally without significant Soviet support though due to their lack of tanks and planes.

Now, the Allies, with all their excess numbers, may well pour through Turkey (which itself will be in a truce with the Comintern), with the Middle East, Central Asia and even the Caucasus left badly vulnerable. Stopping the bleeding will probably mean any thoughts of more offensives in the West are but pipe dreams, unless we trade time and ground in the south for possible (rather fanciful) knock-out blows first against Poland and then Germany, via Warsaw/Danzig and Berlin. But with the profusion of Allied forces and now the very hard setting, I don’t think that is at all likely.
I think the offensives are over from here on out. A breakthrough in the west does not seem likely at all. I think the question is whether you are having fun with this project or ready to (finally?) finish something and turn to new projects? I would be satisfied with a peace since I don't see things radically changing. Honestly, I don't think HOI3 can simulate the latest portions of WWII/WWIII very well due to so many divisions running around and techs being so advanced. The west is definitely a stalemate unless the very hard difficulty allows the AI to break through. The invasion through the Middle East, Central Asia, and Caucasus will be incredibly slow thanks to the terrain, and Talking Turkey has proven the Soviets only need European Russia to stay effective so that wouldn't be decisive.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Then again, if I call it now, I finish the other three AARs more quickly - and maybe start a new HOI3 one when TT and Rome are done, plus start working on my mod again. Choices, choices!
4 AARs + a mod project is a lot on a plate indeed, what matters is what will you enjoy more. If this starts to feel like a drag, call it and go ahead with the 3 AARs and the mod. If it's enjoyable, then enjoy on a reasonable difficulty level :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
It does look like this game has become unwinnable. With the western front bogged down, the central Asia front crumbling, and the far east mostly a non-issue that's not going to sway the war one way or the other anytime soon, the Soviet Union isn't going to win. At most there will be a peace treaty that returns to pre-WW3 borders + reparations for the damage done and radiation caused by the A-bombs. I don't see the Allies settling for anything less. But, you came close to winning and all those nukes definitely gave the allies a big bloody nose, too bad you just didn't have the conventional forces to back it up.

In a historical sense, I would see the switch to very hard difficulty as a reflection of Soviet armed forces getting demoralised at an enemy who would not relent, even after multiple Soviet nuclear bombs had razed entire cities. It's a grim realisation to find out that even nukes won't save you, what then is the average rifleman supposed to do?

If you find the will to play on as the Soviet Union, or even if you don't, I'd like to see an epilogue that maybe briefly goes into what the post-ww3 world looks like.

Whatever you decide to do, this was a not so brief experiment in achieving the nigh-impossible, and even as it stands today, it was definitely interesting.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The Turkish coup experiment didn’t turn out well at all: being the first time I’d done one in a game that worked, I didn’t know what to look for.

It’s a quandary. It could still be a challenge on normal now, I think, perhaps even if starting the month over again at that rating and either having the coup in Turkey fail, but if it does work managing it a lot better. I suppose one option could be to play the difficulty rating as an adjustment period, taking the Turkey fiasco on the chin, in May it goes to hard, then in June back to normal as the Soviets get used to the new devolved command system.

I definitely would like to see that new project, especially built around the mod!

• 3Like
Reactions:
I guess it depends if you see it as a challenge or not. Because it sounds like the Allies are putting up a fight and might even liberate or take some of the nations out of the Comintern. Also, it depends if you find such struggles fun or not.
Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, it's your AAR, your decision. I"m good either way.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Argh, I hate it when the notifications gets turned off and I miss weeks of play.

Well China should go down quickly and the troops there freed up for other tasks.

• 3Like
Reactions:
So, I’ve come to a decision on what to do from here, which avoids going back to before Turkey is brought into the war (though it was tempting) and taking things forward for a while longer. I won’t spoil too much by saying what I do ;) And I don’t know how it will turn out yet.
Nice to see our favorite right-wing communists have not been liquidated.
They seem indestructible.
This seems promising.

And ended in disaster! I think this dooms the Middle East and forces a withdrawal to the Caucasus.
Alas it did. I might have been lured into it by thoughts of TT and thinking they’d do better than they did. But mainly, not having done a coup before, it was not reading about the NU hit and then checking it before bringing them in. Which in a ‘real’ situation you’d know about.
Even with human command, the very hard difficulty seems too much to handle. I've seen someone win Gotterdammerung Germany on very hard, but he had to cheese the system by making extremely hard divisions that nothing could penetrate. I don't see any point in doing that for this AAR honestly.
Yes, the time for human control for a decent shot at a win was probably right back at the start - it’s their numbers that are making in tough and human control doesn’t help so much, while very hard doubles down (and actually distorts the game a bit with the IC 100% boost to all AI countries.
It seems reasonable that their NU tanked, but it's too bad you didn't notice before. I don't think Turkey ever would have been a good ally without significant Soviet support though due to their lack of tanks and planes.
Very much. If I’d realised, I’d never have brought them in. Turkey could have been left ‘in the back pocket’ and if we did win elsewhere, brought into the Comintern late for the Istanbul VC without having to attack them for it. Though I checked and it seems they have built a large (though probably obsolete) Air Force during the last 12 years of peace!
I think the offensives are over from here on out. A breakthrough in the west does not seem likely at all. I think the question is whether you are having fun with this project or ready to (finally?) finish something and turn to new projects? I would be satisfied with a peace since I don't see things radically changing. Honestly, I don't think HOI3 can simulate the latest portions of WWII/WWIII very well due to so many divisions running around and techs being so advanced. The west is definitely a stalemate unless the very hard difficulty allows the AI to break through. The invasion through the Middle East, Central Asia, and Caucasus will be incredibly slow thanks to the terrain, and Talking Turkey has proven the Soviets only need European Russia to stay effective so that wouldn't be decisive.
If there’s still a glimmer of a chance in the west then I’ll keep going, but not in the depth I had been, so as to keep the effort invested proportionate. I‘ve seen two parts of the experiment through so far, and they ended up proving the USSR, from the bad starting position they had vs the Allies in this ATL, could provide a credible threat but not enough to reverse the world order using the AI on normal setting or mainly human control on Very Hard using the late game starting position. The Turkey debacle simply confirmed what was already happening.

The next phase involves bring it back to normal level again (now that the VH experiment had failed and the VVS was basically completely incapacitated in the West by the end of April 1948). And I’ll address the Turkey situation with some roughly credible cheese to keep them limping along in the war for a while.
4 AARs + a mod project is a lot on a plate indeed, what matters is what will you enjoy more. If this starts to feel like a drag, call it and go ahead with the 3 AARs and the mod. If it's enjoyable, then enjoy on a reasonable difficulty level :)
You’re right of course. What I’m doing will see what’s possible to jazz things up a bit and make it worth fighting on as the Soviets. If it gets to the point that all hope is lost, it’s not going to be a ten year grind to Moscow with Stalin (or successor) dying in a Fuhrer bunker as Slovakian and Bulgarian infantry close in. :D More realistic would be a cabal of Beria, Molotov etc poisoning his vodka and contacting the Allies for an armistice…
It does look like this game has become unwinnable. With the western front bogged down, the central Asia front crumbling, and the far east mostly a non-issue that's not going to sway the war one way or the other anytime soon, the Soviet Union isn't going to win. At most there will be a peace treaty that returns to pre-WW3 borders + reparations for the damage done and radiation caused by the A-bombs. I don't see the Allies settling for anything less. But, you came close to winning and all those nukes definitely gave the allies a big bloody nose, too bad you just didn't have the conventional forces to back it up.
It could have done. With the changes mentioned above we’ll see if any difference can be made, but if not it’s off to the peace table.
In a historical sense, I would see the switch to very hard difficulty as a reflection of Soviet armed forces getting demoralised at an enemy who would not relent, even after multiple Soviet nuclear bombs had razed entire cities. It's a grim realisation to find out that even nukes won't save you, what then is the average rifleman supposed to do?
This is how I envisaged it. A month of it was enough to break the VVS in the West and almost see the line broken. They will regain their fighting mojo again after a morale boosting May Day, but it still may not be enough.
If you find the will to play on as the Soviet Union, or even if you don't, I'd like to see an epilogue that maybe briefly goes into what the post-ww3 world looks like.

Whatever you decide to do, this was a not so brief experiment in achieving the nigh-impossible, and even as it stands today, it was definitely interesting.
I’ll do that and have already foreshadowed a few times what that may broadly look like. The Soviets’ sole possession (at this stage) of the a bomb in this ATL and the general stalemate would allow them to be able to adhere to a roughly ‘peace in place’ outcome similar to the Korean War settlement, in my conception. An armed truce more than a real peace, but the overall new world order remains solidly Allied. The Allies win, the Comintern gets a minor surviving draw, the Axis has comprehensively lost.
I definitely would like to see that new project, especially built around the mod!
That’s one of the plans. Fair bit more work needed on it before it’s ready for a beta play through and short AAR write up.
Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, it's your AAR, your decision. I"m good either way.
It does indeed always come down to that. A bit more and we’ll see where things are in a month or two.
Argh, I hate it when the notifications gets turned off and I miss weeks of play.

Well China should go down quickly and the troops there freed up for other tasks.
Great to have you back! China looks doomed (especially after I switch back to normal difficulty), but the rest is looking pretty grim. Will see what is possible.

• 2Like
Reactions:
PS: the next month played through and it ended up being more interesting than I thought it was going to be! So onwards under the new model for now, until victory or a Molotov-Beria coup. :D Images now all edited, some good stories to tell and a few huge battles, one of them the largest in casualties I can recall in any HOI3 game I’ve ever played!:eek:

• 4Like
Reactions:
Chapter 44: May 1948
Chapter 44: May 1948

Introduction

After some soul-searching following the last chapter, here we go again with a third phase of adjustment (having acknowledged stalemated losses against the venerable Allied AI in normal difficulty/AI Army control and then very hard/full human army control). Now, having seen the USSR backed into a difficult position in the West and with Turkey unexpectedly on the precipice after the loss of just Istanbul, we will see how we do from here with normal difficulty and human army control … and just a little cheese ;)

Note: I finished the session at the end of 30 May after another of the regular game crashes, so as not to re-boot again after just a day’s more play. 31 May will be tacked onto the start of June 1948. I’ll continue the practice of only reporting major battles (relative to each Theatre). There were some heavy air raid casualties on both sides, more caused by the VVS as the month wore on and they recovered somewhat, but I’m not counting them any longer. Overall, there was more to report than I had anticipated, so the overall chapter length remains at previous levels (long), but the whole month is covered.

1. Turkey and the Middle East

An urgent cable from Ankara revealed the new pro-Communist President of Turkey, Sefik Hüsnü, to be in a panic. The loss of Istanbul to the Allies on 30 April was threatening to see his entire regime fall after barely three weeks in office. In order to boost Turkish resolve, Stalin immediately promised a massive economic injection of lend-lease, a large force of Soviet divisions (some diverted from travel to Central Asia, the rest from the Western Front) to assist the Turks resist an Allied breakout, the automatic approval of all Turkish trade requests and the promise that the Turkish claims on Iskenderun would be enforced, and finally that Syria would be made a Turkish puppet state after its conquest [will enforce this by map edits if/as necessary on conquest]. Soviet air power would also continue to be deployed out of Sevastopol in support of Turkish defensive operations.

wQLzde.jpg

This deal [with +2 NU for every IC provided in LL] was accepted by the Turkish Government, reassuring the general population and giving them renewed will power to fight on. [So they got +40 NU via a save game edit and, as a house rule, if that amount is reduced, then a commensurate subtraction of NU will be applied the same way.] The ‘May Day Deal’ would keep Turkey in the war for now, but had no effect on the fighting itself – Turkey could still fall to the Allies, but this would now require the bulk of its key cities to fall first.

The three divisions just approaching the north of the Caspian Sea by ra,il headed for the dire Central Asian front, were redirected to Ankara as part of this deal. The diversionary Battle of Dorohai in northern Romania was halted immediately (Soviets 2,302/96,950; Allies 3,264/44,268 killed), with two fresh divisions from there also placed straight onto trains and sent to Ankara. At 0400hr on 1 May, the nearby Battle of Soroca was also halted (Soviets 2,981/46,983; Allies 2,456/31,810 killed), which would soon allow more troops to redeploy to Turkey.

The aid being sent to Turkey now equalled the entire amount being spent to maintain Soviet consumers goods supply and reduced the amount then available for the production queue from 120 to 100 IC (340 IC total economy, with the bulk being spent on upgrades and reinforcements).

By 0900 on 1 May, VVS air raids revealed an SS and a powerful French mechanised division were in Istanbul. An Italian alpine division was attacking across the straits at Canakkale, while other Allied infantry divisions were approaching through European Turkey. By that evening, Greek TAC was bombing Canakkale and the bulk of the Turkish Army remained distant from the front. The 11 wings of the Turkish Air Force were based forward at Eskisehir and the fighters at least had clearly already been in action against the Allies. Two more Turkish TAC were based in Ankara (the other three wings shown were VVS aircraft reserve-hopping north via Ankara to southern Russia).

Nj2meJ.jpg

By 1000hr on 3 May, the Allies were across the Bosporus and advancing on Kandira against no opposition as the VVS TAC based in Odessa hit them relentlessly, day and night, every day.

By 4 May, Turkish industry had been well boosted by the Soviet LL [IC base 21 +20 LL = 56 IC after tech, leader and legislative bonuses]. This left new production of 23 IC after the Turks fully supported their upgrade, reinforcement, supply and consumer goods requirements. They had a manpower reserve of 134,000 men.

The Allies were across to Canakkale by 9 May and had expanded their breakout from Istanbul. But 158 SD had arrived at the VP location of Düzce and started to dig in, the first new Turkish divisions were beginning to filter in from the east and a small garrison had been established in Izmir.

M5WhMC.jpg

The situation in Syria was as complex as ever, with the Turks having begun to secure their interests and the Soviets trying to tidy things up using one armoured division and a couple of slow-moving garrison divisions (the rest having been sent to Central Asia previously). It needed to be wrapped up to stop diverting Turkish forces from the main fight against the Allies, but that would require every Syrian province to be occupied.

GyaRJZ.jpg

The first ‘free’ Turkish trade request, for energy supplies, was received and honoured at midday on the 11th. The latest Syrian capital of Al Raqqah (!) was taken on 13 May as the Allied invasion of Turkey gradually expanded.

T3T3N2.jpg

Another Soviet symbol of support came with the arrival of HQ 3rd Corps in Ankara on 17 May, establishing itself ahead of the influx of divisions slowly making their way from other fronts to assist the Turks.

By 21 May, the Allied bridgehead in Asia Minor had linked up, stretching from Kandira in the north-east to Edremit in the south-west. At least 13-14 Allied divisions could be seen as Turkish units continued to draw closer to the front.

On 24 May, two RAF INT wings were mauled after tangling with the VVS over Tarakali, the bomber group 92 x M/R, 2 x TAC) being reinforced by their INT support (2 x INT) also based in Sevastopol. Izmir [1 VP, Turkey to 67% surrender progress] was lost to the Allies on 26 May, while the last two vessels of the Turkish Navy (the BC Yavuz and a DD flotilla) were almost destroyed by a 6 x NAV RAF port strike on Antalya, where they had tried to take cover.

By the evening of 28 May, the Allied advance was still creeping forward while VVS and Turkish fighters combined over Cukurhisar to take on Allied TAC being escorted by a French CAG wing. Meanwhile, the first wave of six Soviet divisions transferred from the Romanian Front had all passed onto Turkish territory.

Un1Iae.jpg

In Syria, the long-running Battle of Buhayrat al Asad was won by the Soviets on the morning of 29 May (706/8,000 Soviet; Allies 1,717/9,994 killed). At the end of 30 May the Allies continued to push the Turkish army back, more quickly now in the south than the north, where Düzce still held – it hadn’t been attacked yet. Sixteen Soviet divisions were in various stages of transit to Ankara, including three mountain divisions that had been combed out of various Western Front sectors in recent days.

PjsKPR.jpg

Turkish Front summary as at 2300 hr on 30 May 1948. NB: the top group of units on the right is closer to Ankara than the bottom one.

2. Central Asia

The poor state of affairs in the sector north of Afghanistan continued, with Cheshme – thought to be far enough behind the lines when the new air base was built there – now under a powerful attack by two French divisions at 1000hr on 3 May. The Soviet infantry and cavalry divisions trying to defend it were already in some trouble, despite their elastic defence [-68% progress at start].

The defence was failing by 2200hr the following day, after the French added a third division to the attack. The three VVS INT wings were evacuated to Stalinabad and the defenders pulled out north-east before they were completely disorganised (Soviets 1,574/15,987; France 499/36,189 killed). The infrastructure, air base and radar builds there were cancelled at Cheshme was eventually occupied by the French early on 10 May.

The VVS CAS wing in Stalinabad was in constant operation against the French armour in Turkmenabat for days. Then on the 12th, the recovered 30 Tk Div, which had pushed forward to Samarkand to secure the northern flank of Stalinabad, essentially massacred an Indian attack (a rare with in that sector) and then immediately counter-attacked them in Navoi.

RQE5bF.jpg

It would take until 20 May to win the victory in Navoi and occupy it, but it was another heavy defeat for the Indian infantry (Soviets 120/9,997; India 1,495/12,440 killed). But at 1800hr the same day, 183 SD was thrown out of Tedzhenstroy (just west of Cheshme) after a hard battle with more than three times as many French and Indian troops (Soviets 1,250/8,998; Allies 1,169/34,740 killed).

But as the month drew on the line on the Soviet border with Persia was stabilising as a few new divisions arrived from the Middle East. A victory in the desert at Ashgabat on the 26th saw the Indian advance halted, for the time being by 1 Tk Div (Soviets 163/9,000; India 981/9,000 killed).

As the month ended, the enemy advance had largely been halted in Persia and slowed down a little in the Soviet border area, as the first northern reinforcements approached. Stalinabad held firm for now and had not been attacked.

VQaJMP.jpg

Central Asia summary as at 2300 hr on 30 May 1948.

3. China

China was finding it very difficult to contain the highly experienced and heavily equipped Soviet Far Eastern Army as it drove in on them mercilessly from the north, including through neutral but Comintern held Japanese territory. Two VVS bomber groups were continuously active throughout the month. By midday on 1 May, the Soviets were celebrating a May Day victory in Chongqing, which they captured an hour later after a difficult river crossing assault that had taken some days.

0AsaTF.jpg

The next major objective was the new capital of Changde, with the first step coming with victory at Yichang (two provinces to its north) on 2 May (Soviets 174/23,904; China 1,095/8,999 killed). By 0400hr the next day, 8 Tk Div was in Enshi and advancing on Changde from the north-west, which was guarded by a Chinese militia division. A victory was won by 2100hr that night, but it would take a few days for the tanks to complete their advance.

To the north-west of Chengde, the Chinese line was being pushed back in some fairly heavy fighting (for this theatre), first at Tianmen (Soviets 355/24,291; China 1,797/13,990 killed) at midnight on 5 May, then to its immediate south at Xianning at 1000hr (Soviets 34/31,990; China 772/19,993 killed), in an attack from Yichang. That evening, a new battle started for Changde, with an Chinese infantry division defending against two Soviet tank divisions with an expert ambush that completely counteracted their attempt to break through.

The VVS was called in, but the defence remained stubborn. Two days later, Changde was under heavy pressure but still resisted [+79%], with a separate Soviet attack in Jinshi to its north. The Jinshi attack succeeded at 1400hr on 8 May (Soviets 91/15,949; China 714/5,714 killed). The second battle for Changde was not won until 1100hr on 9 May after further Soviets reinforcements were added from Enshi (Soviets 124/33,993; China 1,205/7,999 killed). Changde was soon occupied, dealing a heavy blow to Chinese national unity.

XmQMOm.jpg

In the mountains to the west near Chongqing, the advance was heavy going. The battle of Fuling was won on 10 May (Soviets 296/45,982; China 811/11,175 killed). The Chinese defence in this area was all by regular infantry divisions defending mountain strongholds, which took time to blast out (and the mountains, poor infrastructure and enemy territory was often causing 3% attrition to regular Soviet units).

North-east of Changsha (the next VP objective south of Changde), victory came in the key forested province of Yueyang on the afternoon of 14 May (Soviets 113/31,977; China 886/16,596 killed). It was soon occupied and this assisted in seeing victory in Changsha that night and its occupation by 2300hr.

ksHpLN.jpg

This pushed China to the brink of surrender, but the next nearest VP city was at Guiyang, which would require fighting through rough terrain from the Chongqing-Fuling line. Operations to the east were slowed down somewhat as most available formations in the Chongqing-Changde sector were thrown at an overwhelming drive on that last objective.

Meanwhile, a few days later a determined French attack attempted to retake Changsha but was finally defeated early on 18 May (Soviets 201/23,906; France 1,582/12,984 killed). Other Soviet attacking victories came to east Changsha at Zhuzhou (Soviets 260/24,984; China 1,067/7,904 killed) and to its south in a tough mountain battle at Hengyang (Soviets 656/31,989; China 687/32,447 killed) over the following day.

Another interesting battlefield report came on 25 May, with a defensive victory in Liling (on the eastern edge of the advance) against a US Marine division fighting under Chinese command (Soviets 255/17,000; US 936/9,992 killed).

But there were only minor skirmishes in the west as the Soviets advanced on Guiyang, 81 MRD taking the mountain stronghold at 0800hr on 29 May. At this point the Chinese leadership sent emissaries to negotiate a surrender [80% occupation v 73.2% NU]. For now, Chiang Kai-Shek still headed up a right-wing Nationalist government, with NU at about 44% and the standard two-year truce with the Allies.

qw5ugR.jpg

The bulk of the Soviet Far Eastern Army began to advance on its newly won coastal concession through now neutral Chinese territory, with their sights set on Hong Kong and the narrow border with French Indo-China, plus some mopping up of Allied units in eastern China. But a large swathe of divisions in the west of the sector were put on trains and began the long trip to Central Asia, where these veteran troops should eventually make a big difference.

P4Srj0.jpg

China summary as at 2300 hr on 30 May 1948, with arrows showing the advances that had been made up to the armistice at midnight on 30 May.

4. Norway

This sector was now just down to chasing and mopping up the last Allied divisions running out of places to hide. Alta was taken on 5 May, after which three more divisions were put on trains for Central Asia, leaving just two to root out the remaining unsupplied enemy formations (about four or five divisions).

There was a short skirmish in Suolovuopme on 12 May, after which the chase would continue on towards Kautokeino – from which there would be no more escape (it is the end of the navigable territory, with low infra surrounding it to cut off any more escape).

y4M8b8.jpg

On 22 May Suolovuopme was taken and the final act of the northern campaign began. The 2nd Indian Division surrendered that evening as 25 SD attacked Kautokeino, 7,733 prisoners taken without further fighting. The rest of the Allied forces were still on the road from Suolovuopme and would likely be encountered piecemeal as they retreated in early June.

5. The West: Lwów-Romania Sector

As we saw earlier, the Soviet diversionary attacks on the northern USSR-Romanian border were called off early on 1 May as a number of divisions were also diverted to that front. A defensive stance would be maintained in the Romanian sector for the rest of the month.

The heavy Allied pressure around Lwów continued into May 1948. The first battle resolved on 1 May was an expensive Soviet defensive victory at Krasne, just north-east of Lwów (Soviets 4,397/34,988; Allies 2,532/19,377 killed). A Soviet spoiling attack on Zolkiew (from where the attack on Krasne had emanated) continued and would be won on 2 May (Soviets 2,944/57,652; Allies 4,253/44,617 killed), with Zolkiew retaken at midday.

The frequent Allied target of Maloryta (between Lwów and Brzesc-Litewski) was successfully defended again at midday on 2 May against an under-powered assault (Soviets 366/49,560; Allies 4,928/22,848 killed).

The tough defence of the exposed Radauti was finally abandoned at midnight on 3 May to help shorten the line following the transfer of troops to the Turkish front (Soviets 4,006/25,932; Allies 3,003/40,400 killed).

A huge Allied attack on Lwów itself was defeated on 5 May with heavy enemy casualties (Soviets 1,015/45,076; Allies 6,774/165,550 killed). But at the same time, a victorious Allied attack on Zolkiew (directly north of Lwów, briefly retaken by the Soviets a few days earlier) threatened to open another attacking flank on the key city (Soviets 3,212/34,509; Allies 2,717/36,161 killed). It was taken two hours later.

On the southern end of the ‘Stanislawow Salient’ centred on that air base, the mountains of Jablonow proved a frequent Allied target after the Soviets were forced to withdraw from Radauti early in the month. The first major attack was beaten of on 7 May (Soviets 1,594/15,994; Allies 2,516/21,581 killed).

With the loss of Skole, Stryj was the next target to come under Allied pressure. A concerted Soviet effort to hold it lasted for days, but the task proved beyond them. A retreat of the final defenders across the river was ordered on the evening of 9 May. Its loss a couple of hours later would put increased pressure on both Lwów and Dolina.

Hg6Qxi.jpg

Dolina fell to the Allies by the evening of 10 May, signalling the start of a major attack at 1900hr on the large and very busy air base of Stanislawow (10 capacity, fully occupied with active air groups), which the Soviets would also try to hold with four well-entrenched divisions.

Two days later, the defence of Stanislawow continued but was starting to wilt [-55% progress], but a major defensive victory was won in Maloryta, at great Allied expense (Soviets 258/50,626; Allies 5,208/21,986 killed). However, that evening the situation in Stanislawow deteriorated rapidly and it clear the big air base could not be held. The wings were ordered out to new bases and the last defenders ordered to retreat to Kolomyja, where other troops would be sent to try to establish a defence to preserve the now reduced cross-river ‘Jabolonow Salient’, while the rest of the tired divisions went to strengthen the new river defensive line south-east of Lwów.

dlpq3A.jpg

Stanislawow fell at 0100hr on 15 May and by the following day had eight Allied wings in place (repair capacity 8.25 after damage taken during the battle). But no V2 strike was ordered then, as the Soviets hoped to retake it some time in coming days or weeks.

By 19 May, a strong defence had been established in Kolomyja while the Allies battered away at Jablonow in a large attack, which again resulted in a Soviet victory at 1100hr (Soviets 909/15,517; Allies 1,971/47,400 killed).

Things remained quiet along the rest of the sector as the Allies once more stubbornly hammered away at Jablonow, taking even heavier casualties when they were defeated again on 24 May (Soviets 741/14,874; Allies 3,007/35,717 killed). Yet another attack was beaten back there late on 30 May (Soviets 534/14,003; Allies 1,240/27,781 killed).

Strong Soviet river defences around Lwów had proven a good deterrent against further Allied advances in the sector, though the loss of the heavily developed Stanislawow air base had been a bitter blow. Also, a small but steady flow of assorted Allied divisions had been seen heading south to the Turkish front during the month, perhaps detracting from further Allied attacks in Romania, but increasing the threat on that new southern flank.

f7sRww.jpg

Lwów-Romania sector summary as at 2300 hr on 30 May 1948.

6. The West: Prussia-North Polish Sector

6.a Contest for the Initiative, 1-11 May

We now come to the crucial sector for WW3: the Soviet effort to break down Poland, to sow chaos in the Allied lines and open up the way to Berlin. This campaign had taken a blow in April 1948 with Soviet tactical disorganisation (ie very hard difficulty setting) when ‘devolved responsibility’ (ie full human army control) was applied at the front. It had also seen the previously dominant VVS badly damaged with most wings having to be taken off line for rest and repair.

The first battle resolved on May Day 1948 was the massive fight in Marienwerder that had persisted through much of April, both sides throwing in forces to rotate through the battle. It had come to resemble the WW1 Battle of Verdun more than anything else, with the addition of heavy defensive and offensive air support from both sides on and off. By the time the Soviets finally lost that morning, ground combat casualties alone well exceeded 30,000 for both sides combined in a battle that had involved over 270,000 men over its duration.

Yxh60n.jpg

In another similarity to WW1’s Western Front, no sooner had the Allies taken the province than a prepared Soviet counter-attack using largely fresh units in Allenstein launched a big counter-offensive. Victory would come at 1500hr that afternoon (Soviets 254/50,718; Allies 1,218/8,446 killed), before the Allies could reinforce it. The Soviets retook the key province at 0500hr the following morning.

Another defensive victory came at 1100hr on 3 May at Ostroleka (Soviets 3,144/62,122; Allies 5,404/71,918 killed), despite repeated and uncontested Luftwaffe ground attacks (most VVS INT groups were still off-line at this point). Battlefield intelligence at this time indicated that Poland and Germany were having supply problems, while the French had plenty of supply but were now in a manpower deficit.

Despite continuing Allied attacks on Brodnica and a new attack on Ostroleka, the Soviets were attempting to regain some initiative with a shock attack on Grudziadz from Marienwerder at 2100hr on the 3rd adding to a well-progressed [92%] assault on Mlawa, both designed to spoil the Allied attack on Brodnica, which sat between them.

By the morning of 4 May, Soviet CAS (1 x M/R, 4 x CAS) was back in the air to support these attacks, but was intercepted by the French (3 x INT) over Przemysl, the VVS escorts taking some heavy damage. But the battle to defend Brodnica had been won (Soviets 2,208/36,172; Allies 1,676/25,702 killed).

Things remained very active on both sides on 5 May, with the Soviets winning attacks on Ostrow and Mlawa at 0300hr, while the Luftwaffe struck Marienwerder and Brodnica with impunity and a new attack had been made on the latter from Plock. The Soviet attack on Grudziadz continued, with good progress: the battle would be won by 1500hr (Soviets 1,675/47,287; Allies 2,045/51,040 killed) and occupied by 1300hr the following day.

S5QEbc.jpg

With the latest attack on Brodnica brushed off, the Soviets attacked the tired Allied troops in Plock at 0200hr on 7 May, where only one of the assortment of six defending French, German, Italian, Belgian, Bulgarian and Greek divisions had any appreciable organisation left.

But the Allies were not willing to surrender the initiative easily: at 1000hr on 8 May they launched a major attack to regain Grudziadz with three divisions each from the powerful German and French armies. This would become another of the ‘meat-grinder’ battles along the Vistula in the west of the sector.

The Allied attack was supported by a heavy Luftwaffe bombing mission, which the VVS sought to prevent, even though their INT wings were not yet fully operational again at that point. The Germans then escalated, sending in another six INT wings of their own to add to the escorts already on station, resulting in a huge air battle.

zsUamp.jpg

In better news, to the east the attack on Mlawa was won handsomely at midday (Soviets 1,810/77,079; Allies 4,774/38,330 killed) and it was occupied an hour later. The battle had been won easily a short time earlier, meaning a slow Soviet push towards the northern bank Vistula above Warsaw was now on, though against heavy Allied opposition. During this period, VVS bomber groups (CAS, TAC and mixed) were re-entering the fray, but German fighters still regularly opposed them, so strong escorts were vital.

No major results or moves were reported during 10-11 May as the fighting in Grudziadz continued and the Soviets attempted to consolidate recent gains and divisions conducted post-attack reorganisation and a new attack on Plock had to be organised after a fresh Allied division managed to insert itself.

6.b The Drive to the Vistula, 12-18 May

The second clearing attack on Plock was won at 2300hr on 12 May (Soviets 279/32,245; Allies 1,245/8,982 killed). Mlawa and Ostroleka now had large Soviet build-ups, though some divisions were still reorganising as they prepared to renew the Vistula Offensive.

The next phase began just after midnight the next morning against a mix of fresh and tired Allied defenders in Modlin, where they had the advantage of old set fortifications to aid them, balanced by some units being in poor supply. Plock had been occupied first by 7 Tk Div, so they joined in from the flank to support the main attack mounted from Mlawa. Even so, the Allied attack on their western flank at Grudziadz was gaining ground, threatening the advance.

t3DgDn.jpg

By the evening of 14 May, the battle for Modlin had been won and the province occupied. Reinforcements had arrived to bolster the defence of Grudziadz, though its defence was still in peril. And a new attack was unleashed to broaden the advance into Pultusk from Mlawa and Ostroleka.

f02wUM.jpg

The air war continued to be hard, with an attack on Torun to provide defensive air support for the imperilled Grudziadz suffering heavy damage from 3 x German INT wings, even though the two VVS TAC wings involved had two INT wings escorting them and another two were then called in. The mission would have to be aborted.

The attack on Pultusk had been won by the morning of the 16th, so this was followed up by an attack on Brok to its immediate east from Ostrow, the aim being to secure the whole northern bank of the Vistula on a four province frontage.

As frequently happened, the attack on Pultusk had to be renewed at 0200hr on 17 May when the 31st Canadian Division slipped in to set up a hasty defence, slowing down the Soviet advance. But the battle for Brok was won and it was occupied by 0600hr the same morning, leading the Canadians in Pultusk to call off their hasty defence at the same time, with the lead Soviet 14 Tk Div completing the occupation of the northern river bank from Plock to Brok.

While the Soviets began to build up and reorganise their forces on the northern bank of the Vistula, the bombing of Warsaw began. It was a cruel necessity, as the city had just begun to rebuild some of its infrastructure after the nuclear strike on it earlier in the war. The only battle currently in progress in the sector was at Grudziadz, where the Soviets had managed to stabilise their perilous position through constant troop rotations.

eJwPr1.jpg

But even as the attack on Grudziadz continued into 18 May, a new Allied attack across the Vistula on Elbing began, accompanied by heavy Luftwaffe air raids the VVS was largely unable to prevent [-49% progress]. This would turn into yet another WW1-style meat-grinder battle as the days dragged on, even though the Soviets defended behind a river, fully entrenched and with local fortifications.

6.c The Battle for Warsaw, 19-30 May

An Allied attack on Pultusk had prevented the now reorganised formations there from launching any attack of their own until it was defeated at 1300hr on 19 May. The troops were now free to attack and the much-awaited attack on Warsaw itself began just an hour later.

4hqajJ.jpg

Divisions from Modlin and Pultusk would participate, though some were held back to prevent more serious overcrowding than was already occurring. And it would be a difficult assault, the tactical odds heavily in the Allies favour, while the Soviets had greater numbers, better supply and continuous air support. The Allies had increased the pressure on Elbing, to which the Soviets would have to divert troops that had been earmarked to support the Warsaw Offensive, while Grudziadz was not yet out of the woods either.

An analysis of the factors applying in this battle showed that for the defenders, only one French division was out of supply [-50%]. Three were entrenched [from +2-20%] while overcrowding was a small problem [stacking penalties 7-10%].

For the Soviets, the biggest problem was the river crossing [-42.5% for a division with engineers attached, the rest a 50-62.5% penalty]. The urban terrain was also a real problem [38.5-60% penalty], as was overcrowding [15% stacking penalty]. It would be a test of numbers, morale and persistence for both sides.

A typical Soviet air raid caused around 600-630 casualties, three times a day, throughout the battle. These were not generally contested by the Allies.

The Allies launched a spoiling attack on Pultusk early the next morning, while the attacking odds in Warsaw remained low [just 19% progress]. In reply, the Soviets in Brok launched their own spoiling attack on Praga at 0400hr on the 20th and also called in air support. Meanwhile, at 1000hr the vicious attack on Grudziadz was finally called off by the Allies. The odds in Warsaw had deteriorated a little over night and the defence of Elbing remained in peril. The Soviet concentrations in Brodnica, Osterode and Mlawa were made up of recovering troops weakened and disorganised in previous fighting, principally in Grudziadz and Marienwerder earlier in the month.

6iPff6.jpg

The spoiling attack on Pultusk was defeated at 1600hr that day, but the odds for Warsaw gradually sank further [down to 15%], though the Allied troops had started more disorganised than the Soviet attackers and suffered from constant air attack.

At midday on 21 May, some tired divisions were culled from the Soviet attack on Warsaw, which at least removed the stacking penalties as reserve formations sought to reinforce the front line. More fresh troops would be rotated in later, as the need arose. The situation in Elbing was deteriorating [-78% progress] as under-strength INT were again sent in at 1800hr to try to discourage the Luftwaffe bombing runs.

22 May brought victory in Praga at midnight (Soviets 809/40,616; Allies 1,682/77,881 killed) and its occupation would open up another flank on Warsaw, even if still across the river from the east. Two hours later, in Warsaw all the committed Soviet divisions had reinforced the front line, but progress was even slower [13%]. Praga was however taken at 0700hr by two tank and a mechanised division.

With the skies again being contested by VVS fighter groups, two hotbeds of French and German air operations were identified in Breslau and Stettin, previous rocket targets where facilities had been largely rebuilt, though both were overcrowded with aircraft. Both were flattened again that afternoon, by two of the few remaining rocket batteries, which should make the sustainment of Allied strikes on targets in Prussia or interception of Soviet raids along the Vistula a more difficult proposition.

5LysGm.jpg

The Allies were not done in the west of the sector, with yet another though smaller diversionary attack on Grudziadz defeated at 0600hr on 23 May (Soviets 349/24,155; Allies 2,887/17,583 killed). The fighting in Elbing ground on [-62%] as sometimes only partly recovered divisions were cycled through the defence.

Then at 1100hr, the three armoured divisions in Praga had finished reorganising and joined in the attack on Warsaw [16%] from that eastern flank. The Allied defenders were beginning to tire and one division had now pulled out, with the Praga flank attack boosting the progress somewhat when it hit home at midday. An hour later, the Allies countered with new spoiling attacks on both Modlin and Praga.

8xHKtK.jpg

The Soviets countered that soon afterwards with a multi-flank attack on Siedlice to take the pressure of Praga, though it was disadvantaged by being entirely across rivers into a forest (which is why nothing had been launched earlier).

v4SUHI.jpg

Progress in Warsaw was improving by 2100hr on the 23rd [31%], but Elbing was beginning to fail again as more troops were desperately despatched to assist the failing defence and the Allied spoiling attacks on Modlin and Praga continued.

It took until 1800hr on the 24th for the Praga spoiler to be defeated. Only three Allied divisions were left in the front line of the Warsaw defence by 2000hr [41% progress]. At 1000hr the next morning, it was only two (Italian mountain troops and a French light armour division), but both retained reasonable organisation. The grinding assault continued thus, with just the French tank division left in the fight by 0000hr on 26 May [about 50% org] and no new Allied reinforcements having been brought in to assist them.

The Allied spoiling attack on Modlin was finally defeated at 0500hr on 27 May with heavy Allied losses (Soviets 349/66,892; Allies 4,544/24,867 killed). At the same time, the increasingly expensive Soviet spoiler on Siedlice was also called off (Soviets 1,900/59,683; Allies 1,891/35,606 killed). The final shot was fired in Warsaw at 1900hr that evening and the city occupied by the lead troops of 189 SD an hour later.

f8Gzhf.jpg

It was once again in complete ruins after the ground fighting and bombing had destroyed any initial repairs made after its previous nuclear devastation. The Polish will to fight was sapped but was as yet quite far from failing. A large Allied fuel dump was discovered, which should eventually aid the falling Soviet fuel stockpile which recent global operations had caused to shrink considerably.

One of either Kraków or Danzig would at least have to be taken to force a Polish surrender (short of another nuclear strike, which Stalin was loath to launch) and maybe some other reduction of their national unity to force them over the edge. A high price had been paid for Warsaw, but it was now finally in Soviet hands.

28 May was spent building up forces in the Warsaw bridgehead and others in Modlin reorganising after the attack, while preparatory air strikes began on Tomaszów, which was designed to expand the bridgehead and also prepare the way for an attack on Lódz, which was at present still lightly defended.

The attack on Tomaszów came at 0500hr the next day and found all the defending multi-national Allied divisions in varying degrees of poor supply and disorganisation, many having only just retreated from Warsaw. They only resisted for ten hours before breaking.

3yTs1H.jpg

Tomaszów was occupied by 14 Tk Div and 218 MRD at 0900hr on 30 May, allowing troops to start crossing the Vistula from Modlin as well.

The month had seen some very heavy fighting and heavy casualties. As it ended, the Vistula-Warsaw offensive had been the greatest Soviet success on the Western Front since early in the war. The Soviets began gathering forces and reorganising for the next phase while the Allies pecked away at the flanks, the battle for Elbing now stabilised but not yet over and Allied formations flowing into Lódz. The VVS had grown in operational capacity during the month and was now operating widely and without heavy Allied opposition. It was theorised that supply problems and air base strikes, plus returning VVS fighter strength, had started to turn the tide in the skies again.

N5ue7i.jpg

Prussia-Northern Poland sector summary as at 2300 hr on 30 May 1948.

Overall, in the West, Turkey and Middle East, Comintern and Allied advances had largely balanced themselves. Syria was a side-show and losses in the Lwów sector could be absorbed with ground traded for time if necessary. The two crucial sectors remained the grinding offensive in Poland and the attempt to stop the collapse of Turkey.

noKjEe.jpg

7. Research, Industry and Strategic Matters

The new Yak-15 INT wings were completed during the month, deploying on the Western Front for work-up training on 3, 7 and 20 May. A new heavy infantry division deployed in Allenstein on 9 May and would later be thrown into Elbing – and spat back out again – before it was fully ready.

S4KDbn.jpg

On 11 May, three new rocket batteries (V2s) were put in the production queue.

Five technical advances were made during the month, with the next 1948 research upgrades begun on infantry equipment. Other new research was directed at doctrine improvements, given the pressure on IC expenditure.

kko9Uc.jpg

8. Espionage

On 4 May, a full team of ten spies was sent into Poland, where their starting NU was determined to be 60.9%. They were all in place by the 5th, with six Polish teams identified and the Soviet mission set to counter-espionage.

By 10 May, steady losses were being taken in Poland, strength down to eight agents with just two in reserve. But with the offensive in Poland beginning, some progress in disrupting NU was desired, so the mission was switched 100% to that task.

But from 11 May, both Polish and foreign Allied teams (including from the infamous and prolific Guyanese Intelligence Service!) were taking a heavy toll on the mission. On 12 May it was the Egyptians taking out Soviet agents. More of the same followed on 13 and 14 May, with the Soviet mission down to six agents (none in reserve), the Poles up to seven and an undetermined number of other Allied agents messing around. The Soviets were withdrawn from active missions and numbers rebuilt.

By 29 May, KGB strength in Poland was back up to ten, with a reserve of five: the estimated Polish strength was back down to five agents, so the NU disruption mission was revived. The next day, the continuing Spanish mission remained at full strength after one agent lost during the month. The rebuilding of the covert ops teams saw seven now to hand, readying for another future coup attempt. Spanish Communist Party strength stood at 22%.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Poland is now not long for this world. Turkey is scary though, but it also provides an opportunity for 'easy' encirclement of allied forces. Perhaps a massive airborne and amphib operation could take back control of the Bosphorus to cut off supply from the Allied forces in Anatolia.

Great news that China is finally wrapped up, and with some prime real estate on it's southern coast under direct Soviet control. Very nice. Perhaps a Soviet 'peacekeeping' mission in South East Asia could distract the British empire from Afghanistan?

How much of a difference one month on normal difficulty with human control makes...

• 2Like
Reactions:
This is why I prefer normal. The way I play games normal setting is hard enough.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Now we're talking! good progress with Poland, let's see how we will stop the tide in Central Asia and Anatolia. Great episode!

• 3Like
Reactions:
By the time the Soviets finally lost that morning, ground combat casualties alone well exceeded 30,000 for both sides combined in a battle that had involved over 270,000 men over its duration.
That's got to be a winner for massive casualties right? Has anyone had bloodier battles (excluding surrendering units of course)?

I liked seeing some progress, and I suppose we've really just moved to a new phase in this AAR. We've learned AI command can't win such a difficult scenario, very hard is just brutally unfair, but normal and human control makes it doable! I enjoyed the more 'streamlined' update, especially since the casualty reports can be overwhelming in a global war.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Still a little while before we'll get back to WW3 again, but here's some feedback on the first (?) tranche of comments.
I see things are much easier on normal!!!
Yes, it makes a difference. Still some tough challenges to overcome and the Allies remain way ahead in victory conditions etc, but it's a start.
Poland is now not long for this world. Turkey is scary though, but it also provides an opportunity for 'easy' encirclement of allied forces. Perhaps a massive airborne and amphib operation could take back control of the Bosphorus to cut off supply from the Allied forces in Anatolia.
I thin k they'll still take some knocking out and I'm hoping not to have to use/waste another nuke on them to tip them over the edge. Turkey will take some rescuing, but there's about three corps on their way to see if they can turn back this dangerous new front that gives the Allies another outlet for their greater numbers. I can't mount an amphib op, as almost all the surface combatants were destroyed in the attack that forced Japan out of the war, and the remaining transports and LCs are all stuck in the Far East. It will have to be done the hard way!
Great news that China is finally wrapped up, and with some prime real estate on it's southern coast under direct Soviet control. Very nice. Perhaps a Soviet 'peacekeeping' mission in South East Asia could distract the British empire from Afghanistan?
Yes, taking China down opens up a sweep through the Allied 'back door' in Asia and possibly assist eventually in Central Asia. That and the large slab of troops that have just got on trains and are about to head to west Afghanistan via Sinkiang!
How much of a difference one month on normal difficulty with human control makes...
Yes, a big difference. It was either going to be this, or admitting final defeat and ending the AAR.
This is why I prefer normal. The way I play games normal setting is hard enough.
Yes, and the higher difficulties do tend to unbalance the rest of the game, I think. I'd rather make the situation difficult than simply using the settings to try to achieve that. I think the big exception to that would be ever playing Germany.
Now we're talking! good progress with Poland, let's see how we will stop the tide in Central Asia and Anatolia. Great episode!
Yes, things went better in Poland than I thought they would. I now have hopes for both Central Asia and Anatolia: at least stabilising them, hopefully rolling them back (in less than another five game years)!
Keep up the good work.
Thank you, I will try. :)
That's got to be a winner for massive casualties right? Has anyone had bloodier battles (excluding surrendering units of course)?
It was huge; one of those battles where both sides kept feeding in reinforcements and it went on for weeks.
I liked seeing some progress, and I suppose we've really just moved to a new phase in this AAR. We've learned AI command can't win such a difficult scenario, very hard is just brutally unfair, but normal and human control makes it doable! I enjoyed the more 'streamlined' update, especially since the casualty reports can be overwhelming in a global war.
Yes, it is a new phase, and we'll see whether the Soviets can overcome the massive head start they've given the Allies in finishing WW2 poorly, having to reconquer Japan, Manchuria and Mengukuo and then get past the stodgy and sluggish start the AI generals got the Western Front off to when the initial breakthrough was the key - and barely happened. It should be fun! And if it becomes not so, it's the 9mm Makarov for Comrade Stalin!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Chapter 45: June 1948
Chapter 45: June 1948

Note: This update also covers 31 May, which was omitted from the last chapter … another long chapter, but a whole month of major action on many fronts has been included.

1. Turkey and the Middle East

A foolhardy carry-over attack by the Egyptians over the Suez on Români was called off at 1500hr on 31 May (Soviets 78/14,988; Egypt 724/8,999).

The Turks and Soviets (who retreated first, so no report) lost the battle to hold the VP province of Düzce late on 31 May as the Allied breakout spread out into Anatolia.

d61Q2U.jpg

Tadmur, the last unoccupied province in Syria, was taken at 0100hr on 1 June by 16 Tk Div. They were strategically redeployed immediately to Ankara, along with 9 Tk Div. Syria formally surrendered at the beginning of 2 June, completing the Soviet campaign to take the Middle East and puppet their governments.

NbqPZL.jpg

The following evening, the Syrians optimistically announced they were mobilising ‘and would soon have a strong army’, but would remain at truce with the Allies for two years.

The first division of the main Soviet redeployment to Turkey arrived in Ankara at 1000hr on 9 June. They were ordered straight to the plains of Gerede and ordered to defend it as Turkish forces fell back in front of them from the Allied onslaught in the mountains around Mengen and Bolu.

But they were not quick enough: The German 1. Infanterie occupied Gerede at 1100hr on 11 June and 7 Tk Div attacked [52% initial progress], to prevent the Allies gaining access to Ankara. Gerede would be fought over fiercely for the rest of the month. The Soviets would find victory at 0800 on 13 June (Soviets 163/7,998; Germans 432/8,994 killed).

The French took Güdül, south of Gerede and also bordering Ankara, on 13 June. By then, 209 MRD had arrived in Ankara. They counter-attacked the first-line 1ère Cuirassiers at 1200hr, but broke off straight away when the fight proved too one-sided (Soviets 31/8,991; France 0/10,620 killed).

A more deliberate Soviet attack on the 1ère Cuirassiers in Güdül was soon prepared by 209 MRD (Ankara) and 23 Tk Div (recently arrived to the south in Polati), which went in at 0300hr on 14 June. Victory was won after two and a half days of hard fighting at 1800hr on 16 June (Soviets 1,232/24,998; France 899/10,863 killed).

A serious Allied attack had gone in north-east of Gerede on a recently arrived Soviet motor rifle division in Orta [-61% progress] on the morning of 14 June. 7 Tk Div had won in Gerede and retaken it by 0700 on the 14th, but was still reorganising so could not yet spoil the attack on Orta by hitting Karabük, but the VVS TAC group in Sevastopol pounded away at the enemy attackers there day and night.

By the evening of 16 June, the southern half of the front, which was entirely manned by the Turks, was steadily retreating through the mountains of southern Anatolia, falling back towards Antalya on the southern coast, like a door swinging shut on the pivot point of the southernmost Soviet division holding just south of Ankara.

In the north, by the morning of 17 June, the Soviet line was beginning to solidify, building from the south in Gerede up to the Black Sea coast north of Ankara around Küre and Daday to the south of that. It was a race as German infantry and panzer-grenadiers closed on the same places from the south-west.

The Soviets retook Güdül at midnight on 17 June after their earlier victory. The battle for the defence of Orta was won on the night of the 17th after another Soviet division arrived to reinforce. And 7 Tk Div defeated a German attempt to retake Gerede by 1000hr on 19 June. The race to shore up the northern part of the line, a little reminiscent of the ‘Race to the Sea’ in Belgium in August 1914, was drawing to its final stages.

Duu6Nl.jpg

By 1700hr that evening, the two Soviet divisions had reached the mountains of Küre and Daday and began digging in as the Germans closed up to the front of them. As that was happening, a group of three (partly worn out) Luftwaffe INT wings made their first recent intervention against the VVS bomber group based in Sevastopol, over Bolu.

After something of a lull in the Soviet-run sector over the next few days, a Soviet attack was put in on the morning of 23 June to close a gap in the line that had be created by an SS division in Aksehir after the earlier defeat of its Turkish defenders. It was retaken on the evening of the 24th, only for German heavy panzers to counter-attack the following evening. 9 Tk Div would fight hard, but ultimately be forced to retreat by the morning of 28 June (no battle report).

wQkJpg.jpg

Meanwhile, the Germans had attacked Orta again, but that too was defeated by 1100hr on 25 June (Soviets 880/23,992; Germans 2,132/8,926 killed).

The Turks were defeated in the mountains of Yunak on 27 June and the Soviets decided the location should not be surrendered, as it was the anchor point between them and the Turkish sector in the south. A counter-attack was put in by 47 Mtn Div and 139 SD at 1500hr that afternoon against the German 196. Infanterie.

But as the battle for Yunak was being fought (and eventually won by early on 30 June), the Allies were beginning to reassert the pressure against Güdül and Gerede in the centre, west of Ankara. The fight for Güdül would be lost by 1200hr on the 30th, with a Soviet spoiling attack on Beypazan (begun on the evening of 29 June) called off an hour later. The battle by 7 Tk Div to hold Gerede was still in progress as the month was ending.

csLcRZ.jpg

Yunak was attacked again by the Allies on the 30th, with fighting there and in Gerede continuing as the day ended, with the situation in the latter starting to deteriorate for 7 Tk Div. In the south, the Turks were now falling back on Alanya, as the line shortened. Just in case, a Soviet garrison division had been stationed back east in Adana since earlier in the month, after the surrender of Syria.

AyaBsW.jpg

A large portion of the German Army and a number of French units were now committed to this front, which was causing the Turks in particular problems, but it had also sucked in the Allies to stripping many units away from the main Western Front, where the Soviet hammer was striking again.

2. Central Asia

An initial radar station was completed in Stalinabad on 4 June and the next level commenced immediately. This was followed by the first hard land fortifications on 6 June, with the next level again begun.

The building program at Stalinabad was interrupted by the loss by the Iranians (defended by an exiled Afghan militia division serving under their command) of the air base and port of Bandar e ‘Abbas on the 6th – the only remaining Comintern air base anywhere near that sector of the line. A hasty counter-attack by the Soviet 7 HArm Div from Jiroft was quickly called off when it showed virtually no prospect of success due to the terrain.

o2hXFR.jpg

The Stalinabad air base was built to level 4 on 8 June and the expansion continued. If it could be held, it would form the jumping off point for an eventual counter-offensive to regain lost parts of the USSR and Afghanistan.

On most of the front, the line remained largely static up to 13 June, when the new 31 Tk Div (LArm, 3 x mech, 1 x SP RArt) was deployed in Tashkent (just north of Stalinabad). A deployment on the Western Front would have been preferred, but this sector was the most threatened and the investment in Stalinabad needed to be protected until reinforcements arrived.

And by late on 23 June, with no more ground lost, the divisions sent from the distant Northern Theatre did start to arrive, with 23 SD getting off the trains in the desert at Gazli.

As the month ended, little had changed in Central Asia and a few more divisions had slotted into the Soviet part of the front. And the first forces from Sinkiang, responding to an objective set weeks before by the STAVKA, had finally crossed over into the USSR, heading for the Central Asian Front. Further behind them, some Mongolian divisions followed and behind that, those sent from the Soviet Far East Theatre after the fall of China.

cgBSQy.jpg

3. China

Following the collapse of China and the ceding of territory to the USSR on its southern coast, the bulk of the Soviet Far Eastern Army was rushing down to Hong Kong, while Allied forces based in the French concession in Zhanjiang – British and US Marines – started to fan out to occupy the undefended concession. Hong Kong was being held by a US 13th Airborne Division under British command. And a couple of US airborne division was holding in the now neutral port of Fuzhou, while a marine division was making its way south inland.

China made its pro-forma mobilisation announcement on 2 June, but nothing useful could be expected from them for another two years.

While looking at the French expanding north from Zhanjiang, the port of the main Japanese fleet was discovered in nearby Kaikou. It included 8 x CV, 3 x CVL, 1 x BB, 3 x CA, 5 x CL, 9 x DD and 1 x SS.

By 17 June, the Soviets were ready to attack Hong Kong – and in doing so discovered its ‘garrison’ was another of those ghost airborne divisions that ‘wasn’t there’. It was taken unopposed. By that time, Soviet ground forces were beginning to push back the two advance Allied divisions west of Hong Kong, with heavy air support. Hong Kong itself was occupied at 2200hr.

Zhanjiang itself came under assault late in the month after the initial Soviet quick attack was halted and then counter-attacked by 52ème Div. Zhanjiang was then hit from the flank late on 27 June, leading to the sortie on Maoming being defeated on the morning of 28 June. By the end of 30 June, more Soviet divisions had caught up. Some reinforced the attack on Zhanjiang, while others prepared to head along the jungle towards the border with French Indo-China.

exmuPF.jpg

4. The North

The month saw the final mopping up of the previously large Allied presence in northern Norway. The last five Allied divisions and HQ were trapped in Kautokeino and surrendered without a fight when attacked early on 5 June. Almost 39,000 more prisoners were taken.

qz4mo0.jpg

One Soviet division stayed to occupy the last provinces in the northern Norwegian ‘infrastructure pocket’ while the other began its long redeployment to another theatre. That mopping up was finished on 28 June and the last division in the north began redeploying to Kirkenes, where it would remain as the sole northern garrison.

5. The West – Lwów-Romania Sector

This sector remained quieter in June, though the Allies kept trying to take mountainous Jablonow at the tip of the cross-river salient. The first attempt was defeated late on 1 June (Soviets 110/13,166; Yugoslavia 1,686/13,558 killed).

The VVS was called in to help disrupt a new attack on Jablonow that was making ground by 3 June. The Allied response indicated that, although the Soviets generally maintained air superiority in the West during June, the Allies air forces – especially those of Germany and France - often contested the skies. Many VVS wings would be damaged and require rest, while one M/R wing was shot down over Poland some days later.

VcM3Br.jpg

The large-scale dogfights over Stulpicani would continue into the next day, with the Allied wings taking heavy damage, but some VVS fighter and CAS wings also needing to recuperate. But the bombing could not prevent the defence of Jablonow failing, with 102 SD retreating to Cernauti at 1000hr on 4 June. This had been anticipated however, with two divisions previously ordered from neighbouring provinces.

Hz2Eu1.jpg

The first to arrive was 182 SD four hours later, establishing a hasty elastic defence. After an hour, the Canadian, British and French attackers called off their advance, perhaps due to their poor supply situation and approaching Soviet reinforcements. Jablonow had been saved yet again – though only just.

Later that evening, STAVKA decided to exert some pressure on Stanislawow, where a massive build up of 22 Allied (mainly Luftwaffe) wings had been taking advantage of the almost fully functional former Soviet air base (9.81 repair capacity). Although the Soviets still hoped to recapture it, such a large and active enemy air presence could not be allowed to continue interfering so easily with VVS operations in the sector. It was struck by a missile (V2) battery and by 2200 hr on the 4th was reduced to just 0.27 capacity.

The sector saw only minor action on the ground and in the air for the next few weeks, but by early on 22 June, it was observed that the Allied lines from Lwów right through the Romanian border to the Black Sea had thinned considerably. In a number of places, especially south of Lwów towards Stanislawow. In many places, only one or two Allied divisions held the front line. It was assumed some had been diverted to Turkey and perhaps others due to supply issues or events in Poland, which will be discussed in the next part.

In any case, at 1300hr on 24 June, the Soviets launched an attack to retake Stanislawow and widen the bridgehead lost during the Allied offensive in April and May. The previous garrison of three Allied divisions had been reduced to a single British motorised division, well dug in but essentially unsupplied, it was discovered on contact. The shock of the Soviet attack partly offset the river crossing penalty four of the six attacking divisions suffered, while the VVS had returned to strike their former base. British resistance lasted for just over a day, but they were forced to retreat with substantial casualties.

x6Z9U9.jpg

Stanislawow was liberated at 2300hr on the 26th, but the air base would take more repairs before it would be able to effectively host a singe VVS group (2.37 capacity). A determined but futile Yugoslav counter-attack was heavily defeated by 1100hr on 28 June (Soviets 54/17,991; Yugoslavia 1,322/7,992 killed).

This allowed the next phase of the limited offensive to begin, with a four-division attack from Stanislawow on Dolina starting at 0400hr on the 29th. It ended in Soviet victory by 1600hr the same day (Soviets 162/33,956, Allies 819/9,959 killed) and Dolina being occupied the following day. By then, an new attack on the now isolated Stryj had already begun and was making good progress, with the Allied defenders still suffering supply problems.

YSwIZN.jpg

This would be the state of the play as the month ended: the Soviets, whose lines in Romania had also been thinned to help defend Turkey, did not risk a broader offensive there.

6. The West - Poland

6.a The Battle for Lódz

The main Soviet focus in early June remained on taking Lódz in the hope Poland could be forced to surrender, after both Warsaw and Danzig had been flattened by nuclear bombs and then Warsaw occupied. By 2 June, the long and heavy Allied attack across the Vistula on Elbing continued, sometimes with heavy Luftwaffe bombing support which patchy VVS INT cover could not always prevent. An Allied holding attack on Tomaszów was also preventing an attack from there on Lódz, the next significant Soviet objective.

At 1000hr on 2 June, four Soviet divisions attacked an equal number of Allied formations in Kutno, east of Torun on the north bank of the Vistula as it bent east. The Allies seemed to have no supply problems there, but two of the weaker minor ally divisions were still almost completely disorganised from earlier fighting and the full-strength British marines and German medium panzer divisions withdrew after only three hours, to the surprise of the attackers (Soviets 83/33,307; Allies 100/35,870 killed). Perhaps they were more interested in setting up a defence on the other side of the river.

At 1100hr that morning, during the battle for Kutno, the long and bloody defence of Elbing finally ended in a tough Soviet victory, with the casualties reported not including the many taken from air attacks during the defence. Over 20,000 of the over 125,000 troops from both sides that had participated had been killed.

ON60vh.jpg

Even before Kutno could be occupied, the end of the spoiling attack on Tomaszów allowed the long-awaited attack on Lódz to begin, four divisions attacking with VVS support. The city looked to be strongly held, with the Allies entrenched and behind fortifications and with no apparent supply problems. Taking Kutno, which presented an open approach to the north of Lódz, was key to widening the attack.

ZZKbit.jpg

And the Luftwaffe was not willing to concede the skies over Lódz without a fight either, though a lack of supplies seemed to be impeding their effectiveness, while VVS mission efficiency was reaching new heights after the concerted doctrine development in recent years.

fuacI5.jpg

An indicative air battle during the VVS mission against Lódz.

At this time, Polish surrender progress was assessed as 64.8%, with 40% of their key cities occupied against a national unity of 61.7%. Taking Lódz would bring this to 60% - not quite enough. If NU could not be reduced appreciably by the espionage mission, either Danzig would have to be taken to finish them off, or more … drastic … measures imposed.

7 MRD rolled into Kutno at 0500hr on 4 June an immediately added its weight to the attack on Lódz, but the odds remained heavily in the defenders’ favour [13%]. By 1500hr that afternoon, one of the attacking divisions had been pulled out of the battle due to disorganisation, while the Allies were down to two divisions in the front line, but both were at full strength – German medium panzers and British marines., with only HQs or disorganised Polish divisions in the reserve line [17%].

The Luftwaffe remained active over Lódz, with two different groups of 3 x INT wings in operation on 5 June. It forced the VVS CAS group to withdraw for rest and repair after damage to their escorts, replaced by a TAC group (2 x INT, 2 x TAC) from 0900hr. And at 0700hr, a heavy Allied spoiling attack hit Tomaszów in the flank by two French infantry divisions incorporating heavy armour [-54%], though the Soviets held around a dozen divisions there at that time, as tired divisions were rotated out of the punishing attack on Lódz [21%]. This prompted the VVS to hit the attackers in Skierniewice with a TAC group as the assault on Lódz continued simultaneously.

On the 6th, the Allies also commenced a spoiling attack on Kutno which held five Soviets divisions by that time, with three full-strength but partly-supplied infantry divisions at 0200hr. The attack on Lódz ground on [still 21%]. At 0400hr, yet another Allied spoiling attack on Plock, to the north of Kutno, was defeated (Soviets 138/44,984; Belgium 1,769/7,995 killed), which freed up two divisions that had been trying to cross the Vistula to reinforce Kutno for a few days.

They arrived later that morning, sparking an end to the Allied spoiler on Kutno (Soviets 157/51,597; Allies 1,598/27,987 killed). And that in turn meant two more divisions could be thrown into the attack on Lódz at 1000hr. Leading to two of the most worn divisions attacking from Tomaszów being pulled back at 1500hr to make room for them to reinforce (and prevent the over-stacking penalty).

At 0900hr on 7 June, the Allied spoiling attack on Tomaszów was finally defeated, but it had been a bloody affair for both sides (Soviets 2,036/99,175; Allies 3,179/33,975 killed). Lódz still resisted after five days of constant fighting and air strikes, but some progress was being made [33%].

It was then that the front east of Warsaw sprung into action again, the Allies trying a different way to pressure the stalled Soviet offensive on Lódz [back down to 29% progress]. The two armoured divisions that had been helping to defend the Praga bridgehead had been withdrawn a day or two before to reinforce the Lódz attack: the minute they crossed into Warsaw, the Allies attacked Praga in great force and were soon making progress.

YA7kPE.jpg

The two armoured divisions continued onto Tomaszów: taking Lódz must come first. Instead, a big spoiling attack was launched on Siedlce to try to preserve the bridgehead. They were all cross-river assaults, but the shock tactics did counteract that disadvantage a little.

XoMcrr.jpg

But the position in Praga proved untenable and a withdrawal was ordered at 0200hr on the 8th (Soviets 1,710/16,988; Allies 435/65,754 killed). The spoiler on Siedlce was also halted (Soviets 636/50,982; Allies 262/42,534 killed). A new spoiling attack on Tomaszów [-52%] had also commenced by that time.

The air war continued over Lódz [up to 47% progress] on 9 June, as the Luftwaffe sought to stop continuing VVS air raids. On the 10th, the latest Allied spoiling attack on Tomaszów was defeated at 0200hr (Soviets 1,016/111,783; Allies 1,935/19,405) as more progress was made against Lódz [61%]. The Allies reoccupied Praga that afternoon.

It was not until 1600hr on 11 June, after more than nine days of house-to-house fighting, that the Soviets won the battle for Lódz: of the 123,334 attacking troops that had taken part (many on rotation) 6,353 had been killed. The Allies lost 4,855 out of the 85,845 who had tried to hold the city. The three leading Soviet tank divisions secured Lódz just an hour later.

DrnD0e.jpg

As suspected, it was not quite enough to force a Polish surrender. Their national unity had actually increased slightly since the beginning of June, despite Soviet espionage efforts. More stringent methods would be required, as the Allies tried to peck away at the flanks of the Soviet offensive at Kutno and Brok. At that time, Danzig and the three provinces stretching south to Torun were all heavily held by the Allies, sitting behind the Vistula or (as in Torun) in fortifications and forested terrain. The Vistula line had proven impervious to previous major Soviet attempts to breach it.

At 1100hr on the 11 June, a group of three VVS INT wings established an air superiority patrol over Danzig. When their presence was uncontested, the heavy bombers of 3rd Strategic Group took off that evening from Königsberg to strike the key Polish city.

j9H3Ya.jpg

Rather than destroying a still intact city such as Kraków, it was hoped a second nuking of Danzig, which had slowly begun to recover from its previous devastation, would be enough to force Poland out of the war. In the event, it was just enough.

Poland surrendered at midnight on 12 June, 1948. A previous Soviet territorial claim meant that only the single province of Cesky Tesin (seized many years before from Czechoslovakia, before WW2 began) remained in the hands of the new Polish puppet government. It also took all of the Polish Army out of the war, including a significant number of Allied expeditionary forces, which suddenly became neutral until they could be reclaimed by their parent countries.

mxZMAm.jpg

Shortly after the surrender, the Allies (under French auspices) had taken control of many of the provinces that had been technically ceded to the Soviets, given they were under Soviet rather than neutral Polish control. More of those in the rear of the Allied line would be so occupied as the month wore on, though the disruption must have made the Allied supply situation even worse than it had been.

6.b The Battle of the ‘Polish Corridor’

The Soviets now sought to take advantage of the initial Allied disruption following the Polish surrender. Their primary objective became striking west across the Vistula towards Berlin, the seizure of which was vital if the Germans were to be taken out of the war – the original plan when Stalin had first initiated WW3.

The Allies quickly called off their cross-river attack from Praga on Brok at 0300hr on the 12th (Soviets 337/16,677; Germany 808/17,418 killed) after the two Polish divisions that had been assisting ‘sloped arms’ and began marching south to Cesky Tesin, though the Germans persisted with another from Praga on Pultusk (due west of Brok).

The forcing of the Vistula began at 0500hr on the 12th, with Soviet attacks on Tczew and Laskowice in a test of Allied preparedness. These were the first of the WW1-style ‘bite and hold’ attacks that would typify the Soviet approach in following days. Despite recent events, there were still too many Allied divisions to allow breakthrough type sweeping offensives.

hRCvdN.jpg

The defence of Tczew was strong, but that of Laskowice was surprisingly brief. With the French force withdrawing immediately after barely a fight in the face of a strong assault from Marienwerder and Grudziadz.

Soon after, an attack was made on Sieradz, to better secure Lódz and widen the Vistula bridgehead to the south. And it seemed the motley Allied defence was unprepared: three divisions were already retreating and took no part in the battle, leaving a largely disorganised Italian division to the mercies of five full-strength Soviet counterparts attacking from Kutno and Lódz.

nFlYBt.jpg

Interestingly, a battered Polish division retreating from Lódz had been designated as a Soviet expeditionary force after the surrender. It would later ‘bounce’ back to Lódz from the Allies occupying Piotrkow, then be left to recuperate.

A preparatory attack on Lipno (on the near bank of the Vistula, south-east of Torun) was launched at 0200hr on 13 June and was won four hours later (Soviets 507/16,900; France 586/8,090 killed). Laskowice was occupied by 55 SD at 1800hr as the assault on Tczew gained ground [50%]. By 2200hr, 136 SD had joined 55 SD and both launched a flanking attack on Tczew, greatly improving the odds [to 79%] by being able to attack over open ground rather than the river assault conducted up to that point.

The next ‘bite and hold’ target was Kolo, a province jutting west from Kutno and Sieradz (occupied by the Soviets by then). The battle lasted from 0600hr until midnight, when victory came over a group of five Allied divisions from Greece, the UK and Yugoslavia (Soviets 116/25,560; Allies 1,218/34,859).

Lipno was occupied on the morning of 15 June, leaving only to fortress of Torun in Allied hands east of the Vistula, but it was very heavily held. A couple of hours later, a hard-fought victory was won at Tczew at 0900hr (Soviets 1,724/55,830; Allies 2,778/32,129 killed), which was occupied at midnight. The occupying divisions crossing the Vistula from Elbing would require around another day and a half or more to reorganise following their successful attack.

For some reason, the Allies had persisted with their attack on Pultusk for some days, but finally called it of at 1300hr on 16 June after taking casualties they surely could not afford (Soviets 895/16,708; Germans 3,234/15,788 killed). The VVS continued to pound away at Praga, which they had been doing for some days now.

The front was comparatively quiet on the 17th except at the now heavily reinforced Tczew, where an Allied counter-attack was defeated at 2300hr (Soviets 198/55,405; Italy 1,271/7,994 killed).

By 18 June, the Soviets then had enough reorganised troops in Tczew to begin an assault from there and Elbing on the twice-devastated wasteland of Danzig [37% initial progress]. VVS TAC bombers started to soften up Torun late that night.

Leaving the large Allied force in Torun otherwise undisturbed for now, hoping to encircle it, at 0800hr on 19 June a successful skirmish was won at Inowroclaw, to Torun’s south on the far bank of the Vistula, by Soviet forces that had since occupied Wloclavek without serious opposition early that morning. Three Soviet divisions now to the south in Kolo were unable to assist, as they found themselves under Allied counter-attack [-21%].

The Luftwaffe had remained periodically active during this time, an example being an attempt by a damaged TAC group to disrupt the continuing attack on Danzig, which was met by Soviet interceptors: they were still able to cause heavy casualties whenever a raid struck home (usually more per aircraft than their Soviet TAC counterparts).

113Ftv.jpg

The next phase of the attempt to surround Torun saw a murderous (for the Allies) skirmish in Inowroclaw from 1000-1700hr on the 19th, with two Soviet armoured divisions catching a single Yugoslav infantry division in open ground, not entrenched and running short of supplies (Soviets 5/17,985; Yugoslavia 444/8,979 killed).

The now large Soviet build-up in Kolo defeated a French holding attack at 1000hr on 20 June (Soviets 603/33,616; France 1,957/10,959 killed), followed at 2100hr by another victory attacking Yugoslav and Hungarian troops that had slipped into Inowroclaw (Soviets 24/17,991; Allies 500/13,819 killed). Inowroclaw was secured by 7 MRD an hour later.

Now only Bydgoszcz connected Torun with the rest of the Allies lines west of the Vistula and the Battle of the Torun Pocket began. Two Soviet divisions attacked Bydgoszcz from Chelmno late on the 20th. Two hours later, realising their peril later than they should German, French and British divisions began trying to break out of Torun by attacking Inowroclaw. To pin the Allies in Torun and make their breakout more difficult, a holding attack was launched by two divisions from the east at 0700hr on the 21st, all while the VVS continued to pound away at the large Allied force(over 64,000 men) now almost trapped there.

lBrqHU.jpg

The attack on Bydgoszcz was won that afternoon and the Allied attack on Inowroclaw stopped two hours later. The attack on Torun continued, while a bloody victory was won in Danzig that evening, advance elements securing it soon after. From midnight, the benefits of having secured the ‘Polish Corridor’ began to flow through for the USSR.

5lBBdZ.jpg

The Polish military bravely proclaimed their mobilisation for the Comintern that evening.

6.c Torun and Operation Bagration

With Danzig and the ‘corridor’ (excepting Torun) secured, the next phase of the Soviet offensive was directed to driving west on a front sufficiently wide to hopefully create a breakthrough towards Berlin – the start of Operation Bagration.

Now Torun needed to be cleared out. By 0400hr on 22 June, the Allies were beginning to suffer supply problems (two of the three front line defending divisions with -6 to -7% supply penalties) after Bydgoszcz was taken that morning, completing the encirclement. Soviet divisions now began to feed into the assault on Torun from other directions [progress to 45%].

The Allied lines in front of Brzesc Litewski had also begun to thin by this stage, with a VVS TAC group tasked with preparing Siedlce from 0400hr on the 22nd. Four hours later, the defence of Torun was strengthened by the reinforcement of two strong and relatively fresh French divisions from the reserve lines, but the Soviet attackers were also being reinforced, with four divisions against four [58%].

To the west of Danzig, reorganisation was sufficient for a new attack to deepen the bridgehead to the forests of Koscierzynal. The attack began at 0900hr on the 22nd and would be won by 0700hr the following day (Soviets 430/22,980; Allies 764/19,627 killed).

A new attack on Siedlce at 1000hr on 23 June found just a single under-strength, disorganised and out-of-supply Italian division in place, facing six rested and full-strength Soviet divisions attacking across the river with strong air support. They were soon fleeing after a short fight.

Meanwhile, by 1600hr on the 23rd, the Allies fought on in Torun but were weakening, while their attack on Bydgoszcz to try to break their colleagues out was being reinforced [though only -15% progress]. When the latest VVS TAC raid on the attackers in Rognozno was launched the Luftwaffe responded with a hornets’ nest of INT wings, with nine eventually joining the dogfight, while the Soviets called in their own additional cover, ending up with five INT wings defending the two TAC wings.

By early on 24 June, Allied supply in Torun was deteriorating [penalties of 37.7% to 43.8% among the four defending divisions, progress 87%] and their best formation, MAJGEN von Manstein’s 3 Pz Div, was almost out of organisation. Koscierzynal was occupied 1700hr as the Soviets tried to convert ‘bite and hold’ into a genuine breakout in the now shaky looking Allied line on the Baltic coast west of Danzig.

The crucial two-day period of the Vistula breakout came between the morning of 25 June and the afternoon of the 27th. In this period, Gniezno in the south would be attacked and eventually occupied. The Allied attack on Bydgoszcz was disrupted by a Soviet attack from Inowroclaw at 1500hr, and then abandoned after the key moment: the surrender of the remaining forces in Torun on the night of 25 June, where over 90,000 Allied prisoners would have been taken by the time the battle ended and Torun was occupied at 0100hr on the 26th.

2vGoaY.jpg

The attack on Rognozno against troops already worn out from their own attack on Bydgoszcz was won by the Soviets early on 26 June, then again on the morning of 27 June when newly arrived Allied troops were also pushed out. Then at 1600hr on the 27th, Chelmno was successfully held when an Allied attack was defeated. A significant bridgehead over the Vistula was now secured with Soviet troops beginning to close on the German border and even crossing it on the Baltic coast.

Siedlce had been liberated on the afternoon of the 25th, with VVS air preparation now switching to Praga, while Soviet troop strength built up in Siedlce and divisions completed post-attack reorganisation.

This was complete by 1800hr on the evening of 27 June, with four divisions from Siedlce, supported by one each attacking across the river from Brok and Pultusk in support against an all-German force of three entrenched and supplied divisions in Praga [68%]. By that time, the Soviets had Rognozno but it was under fierce Allied counter-attack [67%].

Chojnice, west of Tczew, was the next short-term Soviet objective, with the battle for it lasting from 1000-2200hr on the 28th (Soviets 274/49,324; Allies 495/28,045 killed), the Soviets winning again.

But the VVS air support being provided came at a cost, with determined Luftwaffe resistance almost destroying a VVS INT escort wing, forcing one of the CAS groups (2 x INT, 2 x CAS) off-line for repairs on the morning of 29 June. However, the other escorting VVS INT group (2 x INT) remained to fight the Luftwaffe INT group (two of their three wings heavily damaged) over Schiedemuhl, where they were supporting the defence of Rognozno [now improved to -33%, with more reinforcements after at least one division had been forced to retreat].

Three more battles were won by the Soviets from 29-30 June. In the north, Bütow had fallen to the Soviets by midday on the 30th as they advanced further onto German territory. In the centre, the battle for Wiecbork was won on the evening of the 29th, while the defence of Rognozno continued. A major victory was won at Praga early on the 30th, with the Germans taking over 4,400 casualties from ground fighting alone. It had been retaken before the day ended.

IxKshl.jpg

Other than some ‘tidying up’ around Praga and Siedlce, the fighting by late June was focused on the western drive, with more divisions (especially armoured and mechanised) from the vicinity of Warsaw-Lódz-Kolo being shuffled there to reinforce the offensive. The next drive forward would probably be from the line between Rognozno and the Baltic coast, where open terrain beckoned.

7jFbRA.jpg

Gains on the Northern Polish Sector in June, as at 2300hr 30 June 1948.

On the Western and Turkish Fronts, June had seen important territorial gains in northern Poland and of course their withdrawal from the Allied war effort. But Turkey had conceded much ground, with the Allies now approaching the outskirts of Ankara, where the initially promising Soviet intervention had begun to lose ground again, with most of the designated reinforcements now already on the line.

MBZvOM.jpg

7. Industry, Research, Logistics and Espionage

With missile strength running low again (about 2-3 V2 batteries in place) three new batteries were deployed in Odessa, Nowogródek and Brzesc Litweski on 8 June, working up to full operational capacity for the rest of the month.

On 19 June, the perennial problem of unwanted convoy generation was solved when the correct department was finally found in the impenetrable Soviet supply bureaucracy to prevent them being automatically generated. Only the four that could still be maintained and did not seem to be subject to Allied interdiction were maintained.

47E7tc.jpg

In Poland, despite their surrender and the Soviet KGB operatives being reassigned to Communist Party support, agents were still being lost (though not replaced) by residual Allied spies still lurking in Poland. The four remaining Soviets spies left by 20 June were told to lay low.

On 21 June, Soviet fuel stock were running very low, with only 6,106 left and a daily deficit of 1,324. But two days later, a miraculous return of over 13,100 to the stockpile from the network brought this up to 11,248. The stockpile was at 10,545 as the month ended – still a bit shaky, but just enough to keep going.

By 24 June, lower upgrade costs allowed an significant increase in IC assigned to production. A new fast mech division was commenced, with various navy, air force (NAV and STRAT) and infrastructure production shifted below the line to fit in the large new expenditure at 100% effort.

3G2pIA.jpg

Another major round of builds was commissioned on 30 June, after a new heavy infantry division finished initial training and was deployed to the Op Bagration front for work-up training. A dozen ‘loose’ brigades of various types being started, which would be used to bolster many of the three-brigade divisions which still operated in the West and in Turkey. Then two ‘standard’ all-round infantry divisions were also begun, for use in either securing the gains being made in Europe or to reinforce the Turkish front should that be necessary in the four months it would take to complete them.

q5yD2V.jpg

Nine research projects were completed during June, some being continued (radar, CAS pilot and ground crew training), others moving into different areas; for example, with the completion of the latest round of light tank improvements, with the equipment effort shifting to completing the same for infantry equipment. Recent conquests had also begun to gradually increase the leadership pool – though the nuclear devastation of Danzig and Warsaw had probably not helped there.

HP0slX.jpg

The espionage focus was now solely on Spain, where there were now 12 covert ops teams again.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: