• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would think the long range missiles (V1/V2) would be more useful against the Japanese.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Khabarovsk itself was now very lightly held. It may be necessary for a corps to be detached and allocated under Theatre HQ (ie human) control to establish a basic screen in this area, so another cutting-off of the main armies around Vladivostok did not occur, as had happened disastrously to the Japanese in WW2.
Definitely do this! Also, maybe another corps in Romania to control the chaos there?

This month the researches have been very busy! Good job for them and allocate a dacha for each of them! :)

Among the FTR, INT and TAC techs how many are left that are not current year's?

After puppeting Germany, supporting them with some rare materials would be a good idea.

About the supply production stuff, I think it was a bit evident a lot would come back from the network so producing that much was probably unnecessary and might have resulted in some wasted IC but no big deal. We seem to be getting quite ready for the big thing!

• 3Like
Reactions:
That air force upgrade is a huge IC drain but will really help when total war kicks off assuming you can keep air superiority. Looking forwards to seeing how it goes.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Interesting that the Spanish Communists are doing so well, let's hope it stays that way until the next election, or until you launch a coup...

The supply expenditure is through the roof. With so many supplies being sent to the far east, and back to Moscow, maybe you could target something around the 30k-50k mark, so the stockpile doesn't max out too much when the wave comes back... It's not a massive problem to have temporary supply deficits during peace-time. Of course, when you build up for war, maxing out the stockpile during that last week/month does make sense, as it does during war time, of course.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Stalin... actually caring... about the need for Consumer Goods? Or dissent? Dose that with 9mm Makarov!

The humble 9mm round, in the domestic context, is a Consumer good in this Stalin's Russia. The shameful peace shenanigans by the capitalists clearly so enraged the Soviet People many millions of extra rounds had to be "consumed" to quell the passions of the people. Just as soon as the people realise that Comrade Stalin had a plan all along they will become more quiescent again.

• 3Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
A diplomatic assessment soon after revealed that both Xibei San Ma and Yunnan were now closely enough aligned to the Comintern to join it, if their neutrality hadn’t been too high [the calculations for which I can’t seem to reconcile with the threat figures shown].
The "neutrality" shown in the diplomatic window is the effective neutrality, which is the country's base neutrality minus the largest threat against them. The tooltip explaining why you can't invite them to the faction references this invisible base neutrality value.

An intelligence assessment of Germany (the principal initial land opponent in the west and key target to knock out of the war early) showed their rare material (0), supply (28) and fuel (6) stockpiles empty or almost so. Their manpower stood at 1,530,000, officer ration at 138% and national unity sitting on 65%.
That manpower stock is a bit concerning, given all the other usual advantages Germany has in this game. Still, most of that is likely to be lost on mobilization.

At this time, Marshal Georgiy Zhukov was made Armament Minister, even as supply demand was finally almost zeroed out. Stalin should probably have done it a bit earlier, but his predecessor had been assisting jet and nuclear research. However, as those branches were now established to the Soviets’ satisfaction and supply demand was bound to escalate once war came again, Zhukov should be able to assist in that regard once mass movements were once more afoot.

kFsph9.jpg

Marshall Zhukov is a "Military Entrepreneur" in Stalin's Russia. Top work by Paradox there.

[Question: How much do you need before a coup attempt, for example, would have any chance of working if the covert ops points were available? I’m unfamiliar with the mechanic.]
I'm unsure as I've never managed to have a successful coup, but it seems like you need about 20% party support in the target nation to attempt one, in addition to the listed cost in Covert Ops points.

----

So, if Stalin orders mobilization right away on June 1st, we can be just about fully reinforced by 22 June I think, which is a perfect time to launch an invasion, kicking down the door and all that, nothing can possibly go wrong. Looking forward to kicking off the man show at long last - Quick and Dirty, they said, and yet still I wait... :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
Stalin’s agents sought commonly available information on the key Allied air forces in Europe to ascertain whether they were converting to jet engines and, if so, how far they seemed to have progressed.

qvnqva.jpg

The Germans had switched to jet propulsion, but their conversion was patchy as yet. Some wings were fully converted, while others were at various stages. Later analysis determined this was due to industrial shortages preventing full upgrades programs. Neither the French Air force nor the RAF had begun to adopt jet propulsion as yet.
The Gloster Meteor is famously not a jet engined aircraft as everyone at Paradox knows. Reminds me why I was so pleased to nuke Stockholm in Furious Vengeance as Paradox deserve no less. That said they've done a good job in capturing the engineering incompetence of the Germans in having such a wide variety of jet engines, none of which actually work properly or are any good.

Others have covered the mystery of who this strange man is and what has he done with Stalin.

Marshall Zhukov is a "Military Entrepreneur" in Stalin's Russia. Top work by Paradox there.
Unironically that is actually top work by Paradox. Just on that cabinet shot - MoS Panfilov is a Tank general who was never in GRU/NKVD, CoS Meretskov's main experience of 'School of psychology' is being tortured by the NVKD till he signed a confession to get his fellow generals purged, CoA Voroshilov was an utter idiot who would have been purged but they had named a tank after him (the KV series) so he was kept as a PR figurehead not allowed to control anything, Intelligence chief Proskurov is a corpse (purged by Stalin, obvs) as is CoAF Alksnis (also purged by Stalin). Picking someone who wasn't dead and could actually serve in that role, even if with the wrong skill, frankly counts as above average, which admittedly does tell you more about how low Paradox's standards are.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
As ever, thank you for the comments on the previous pre-war chapter. The next one will be out shortly and I'll endeavour not to spoil through feedback to the comments below.
Stalin... actually caring... about the need for Consumer Goods? Or dissent? Dose that with 9mm Makarov!
Heh, he's worried about the effect of dissent (which at low levels could be the equivalent of non-Stakhanovite enjoyment of the national pastime - of drinking copious amounts of vodka and thus taking the edge off IC. I wouldn't be so bold as to suggest he cared about the proletariat masses on a personal basis: they are, after all, just a part of the State and there to do its bidding (for the 'greater good', of course).
I would think the long range missiles (V1/V2) would be more useful against the Japanese.
More on that next chapter. The problem in the Far East (with current dispositions) is their short range, which those typically being far closer to possible targets in the West, as it stands.
1. Definitely do this! Also, maybe another corps in Romania to control the chaos there?

This month the researches have been very busy! Good job for them and allocate a dacha for each of them! :)

2. Among the FTR, INT and TAC techs how many are left that are not current year's?

After puppeting Germany, supporting them with some rare materials would be a good idea.

About the supply production stuff, I think it was a bit evident a lot would come back from the network so producing that much was probably unnecessary and might have resulted in some wasted IC but no big deal. We seem to be getting quite ready for the big thing!
1. See next chapter ;). As for Romania, I think it may qualify as a black hole! I'm loathe to send anything more down there. I think the slim path to victory lies (as ever) through Poland to Germany in the first case.
2. I'll have to check that after the next chapter, as I forgot to do it before I played through. Maybe as an annex after I post it.
That air force upgrade is a huge IC drain but will really help when total war kicks off assuming you can keep air superiority. Looking forwards to seeing how it goes.
True words, but more on that in the next chapter.
It really helps that the fascists are crippled by missing rare materials.
Very much. Full-strength industry in Germany (especially) would make it even harder than it already is.
Interesting that the Spanish Communists are doing so well, let's hope it stays that way until the next election, or until you launch a coup...

The supply expenditure is through the roof. With so many supplies being sent to the far east, and back to Moscow, maybe you could target something around the 30k-50k mark, so the stockpile doesn't max out too much when the wave comes back... It's not a massive problem to have temporary supply deficits during peace-time. Of course, when you build up for war, maxing out the stockpile during that last week/month does make sense, as it does during war time, of course.
I think the spies influencing local politics in Spain must have backed off after the final defeat of the Axis. More on political and covert missions in the next chapter.

Yes, I was a bit late reacting to the supply flow-back, but it can be difficult to predict and I wanted a full stockpile as the decision point for war neared. You will see how those timing efforts worked out soon ...
The humble 9mm round, in the domestic context, is a Consumer good in this Stalin's Russia. The shameful peace shenanigans by the capitalists clearly so enraged the Soviet People many millions of extra rounds had to be "consumed" to quell the passions of the people. Just as soon as the people realise that Comrade Stalin had a plan all along they will become more quiescent again.
:D Indeed. But in this case, he needs those workers working, rather than getting drunk or lazy and messing up the next Five Year Plan! The bureaucrats will do a good enough job of that without any assistance from the workers. :p
The "neutrality" shown in the diplomatic window is the effective neutrality, which is the country's base neutrality minus the largest threat against them. The tooltip explaining why you can't invite them to the faction references this invisible base neutrality value.
Ah, thanks for explaining.
That manpower stock is a bit concerning, given all the other usual advantages Germany has in this game. Still, most of that is likely to be lost on mobilization.
Yes, and in this case the plan is to try to grab some VPs first (not that easy to do quickly from the east) then nuke'em till they surrender, rather than wearing down their MP. Will see how that works (or not) when the time comes).
:D
I'm unsure as I've never managed to have a successful coup, but it seems like you need about 20% party support in the target nation to attempt one, in addition to the listed cost in Covert Ops points.
Right, thanks again. Will see if I can ever get to that magical theoretical launching point!
So, if Stalin orders mobilization right away on June 1st, we can be just about fully reinforced by 22 June I think, which is a perfect time to launch an invasion, kicking down the door and all that, nothing can possibly go wrong. Looking forward to kicking off the man show at long last - Quick and Dirty, they said, and yet still I wait... :p
This is the calculation I've been going off too. Next chapter will show what transpires.
The Gloster Meteor is famously not a jet engined aircraft as everyone at Paradox knows. Reminds me why I was so pleased to nuke Stockholm in Furious Vengeance as Paradox deserve no less. That said they've done a good job in capturing the engineering incompetence of the Germans in having such a wide variety of jet engines, none of which actually work properly or are any good.
It's funny (both humorous and peculiar) how the build files don't discern between jet and prop types at this transition point. For the major powers, I'd have thought some either/or triggers could have been done, though I haven't examined the code in that area to see if its possible. Woulda been 'too much trouble', no doubt, even if possible. :rolleyes:
Unironically that is actually top work by Paradox. Just on that cabinet shot - MoS Panfilov is a Tank general who was never in GRU/NKVD, CoS Meretskov's main experience of 'School of psychology' is being tortured by the NVKD till he signed a confession to get his fellow generals purged, CoA Voroshilov was an utter idiot who would have been purged but they had named a tank after him (the KV series) so he was kept as a PR figurehead not allowed to control anything, Intelligence chief Proskurov is a corpse (purged by Stalin, obvs) as is CoAF Alksnis (also purged by Stalin). Picking someone who wasn't dead and could actually serve in that role, even if with the wrong skill, frankly counts as above average, which admittedly does tell you more about how low Paradox's standards are.
Ah, the world of Cabinets with zombies, idiots etc etc. At least with the Soviets there don't seem to be a lot of poets occupying slots because they were the only names they could turn up in a Google search ...

So, thanks once more to you all, new ep up in a little while. :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
Chapter 36 – June to August 1947
Chapter 36 – June to August 1947

Introduction

As June began, Stalin’s broad timetable was to begin the invasion before the end of the month, as soon as the front line VVS wings had completed their conversion to jet power. As things transpired, alternate reality (mainly a game crash and AI shenanigans) got a bit of a mugging …

June 1947

The Soviet armed forces began to mobilise at midnight on 1 June.

oqN0B8.jpg

In the east, 50th Corps was detached from the 15th Army and allocated to new positions in and on either side of Khabarovsk, under direct Theatre HQ (human) control. Them reaching their new positions became another factor affecting any war declaration timing.

piOAmF.jpg

Given the low national unity under the French-led puppet regime in Manchuria, it was determined that seizing Harbin alone would be sufficient to force a surrender. This would now be the key Soviet focus in planning the eastern offensive.

rHm1NF.jpg

For Mengukuo, Hohhot was their only VP city, but it was some provinces distant from the Mongolian border.

The initial impact of mobilisation on industrial capacity was soon felt. It was decided to risk a degree of dissent to keep the mobilisation on track.

tOm5W2.jpg

The (shorter range) 5th Sub Squadron completed its relocation to Innokentevsky on 3 July.

gzkJ1k.jpg

By the 5th, dissent had started to bite a little (up by 0.18% per day, current effect -0.6% of IC). A new fighter (INT) wing was deployed in Brzesc Litewski: its role would be to provide defensive air cover for the air base that guarded the STRAT (ie nuclear) delivery force.

By 10 June, the reinforcement requirement had dropped radically to 26.85 IC, allowing extra to be thrown back into consumer goods to begin reining in dissent (now at 1.4%). Around 40 IC kept the highest priority production projects ticking along.

13 June saw the reinforcement demand greatly reduced, with a temporary surge in consumer goods applied to get dissent (and thus any economic penalty) quickly cut back.

SaF5FP.jpg

On 16 June, the last of the relocated 50th Corps divisions were in place around Khabarovsk. As 18 June began, the mobilisation process was basically complete and the Soviets were ready to prosecute the war to liberate Europe. At this point, fate intervened.

So, at this point (midnight on 18 June) I decided to hit the button. All the Army HQs’ settings and objectives were reviewed and updated. The wings in the west that had been withdrawn from Army (AI) control because it kept moving them around and disorganising them was restored so they could, as they had in the Far East campaign, manage themselves autonomously in support of the AI ground commanders. War was declared on the UK, and thus the 60-odd countries of the Allies. I saved just before the DoW, and there was an autosave at midnight on the 18th as well – so all sweet, I thought.

Then, I had a crash (or so I thought) on the declaration of war. I believe in retrospect it was just the size of the DoW on my poor old laptop (which I now have to play HOI3 on) was too much for its little electronic brain to cope with. It froze for some minutes and was ‘not responding’ and I couldn’t get out of HOI3. In the end I had to detach the battery to get it to stop. I then reloaded the ‘pre-war’ save, DoWed again and this time let it run (walked away and left it). It just took a very long time but did actually resume properly.

The war was on – but I soon noticed a few things had gone haywire. Wondering why a few of the crucial fronts weren’t doing what they were meant to after a day or so, I checked and found the pre-war save had missed some later order/objective changes, meaning a couple of the key fronts were still in prepare rather than attacking or blitzing settings. Oops. And the AI had switched a large number of the wings in the west three times between bases in the first few hours, reducing many of them to almost zero organisation.

And even after about a week of combat, some fronts on blitz with light opposition had not launched an attack, while other on defensive were making bloody attacks in East Prussia. The Air Force was quickly rendered useless, many of the wings never even getting into combat, while the Luftwaffe pulverised several provinces. There were still some reasonable air battles, but the lack of several groups of interceptors due to the initial relocations was decisive. Even the Hungarian, Polish and Greek bombers were often striking at will.

Also, it became clear that the way the objectives were interpreted by the AI in the Far East had scrambled their layout, separated the Army HQs from the bulk of their troops and concentrated them strangely in large pockets and left Mongolia wide open. The whole thing was a dogs breakfast. I also realised I’d need to take a more general and different approach to recording progress on the battlefield and recording all the battle and air raids details as I had for the Far East was going to be unworkable for a supposedly ‘quick and dirty’ AAR.

Back to the drawing board then. I reverted to the midnight 18 June save, but some of the wings had already been shifted around by then, so were badly disorganised. I didn’t go further back so as not to lose more time, and also as a kind of self-imposed ‘penalty’ for having to scum-save. For the same reason, I decided not to restart from 1 June, pre-mobilisation, though perhaps I should have for selfish reasons.

All the wings in the west were withdrawn from AI control and I resolved to operate them myself in the coming conflict. It would take months of game time for some of them to recover to even approaching full organisation again. Also, the Army HQ orders were all revised again and a different approach taken to objective setting, giving them a bunch of specific initial attack objectives as well as those in depth, in the hope that next time they’d actually attack!

The air units in the east were left under AI control, as they had largely performed properly in the ‘wargame’ (as I have determined it to be) of 18-25 June. But the objectives there were thoroughly revised to make the start more balanced and realistic there too. And all this would take some time. This is the context for what follows.

But before the final order for war was issued, Stalin used the week of 18-25 June 1947 to ‘game out’ a possible offensive war and to exercise commanders and units in what they would face. The results were a mixture of reasonable performance with chaos, mis-orders, negligence and lack of revolutionary zeal. After a series of purges, demotions and ‘re-education’, he Soviet Union went about refining its plans, dispositions and waited for the badly disorganised air wings in the West to reorganise – a time-consuming process.

The wargame process indicated that due both to current range limitations (especially with the older V1 Flying Bombs) and for tactical benefit, they might be best used initially to strike enemy airfields to damage runways and facilities and thus put pressure on the repair and recovery of enemy wings in a coming air war. On 21 June, four more V1 and two V2s were deployed from the stockpile along the Western Front, so they would be fully ready in time of war.

By midday on the 21st, dissent had been reduced back to zero, allowing a major boost to production (159 IC), while supply production (already reduced to low levels) was halted completely (stockpile at 97,000) to ensure any surplus in the system was absorbed before it was resumed.

That day, the spy teams in Spain were ordered to split their efforts 50/50 between communist party support and covert operations. With Turkish domestic spy levels remaining quite high (three teams), Soviet agents remained 100% devoted to counter-espionage.

And a survey of TAC wings showed that all had now been fully equipped with jet engines.

On 24 June, another fighter wing was deployed to Brzesc Litewski. That day, a Turkish spy was neutralised, then another on the 27th, but at the cost of a Soviet spy lost there on the 28th in a bloody escalation of the Secret War. It was also noticed Allied spy activity in the Soviet Union had also seemed to increase since the mobilisation on 1 June.

Just three new research projects were completed in June. The gradual improvement of primitive AA defences in the Red Navy continued (the main role of the surface fleet really being to help guard invasion forces from attack by land and sea-based aircraft). Serious effort was also being directed into extended the range of the V2 rockets.

WUIHiG.jpg

July 1947

The rockets were now being updated to the SS- 3 ‘Shyster’ model with ever longer range: ten were put into production on 3 July and sent straight to the top of the queue.

Cznnog.jpg

By 4 July, the STRAT fleet had finished its upgrade to jet powered aircraft and work on enlarging fuel tanks to make up for the loss of range that brought was almost complete.

w5YIfH.jpg

A Soviet spy was eliminated in Turkey on 15 July, another in Spain on the 17th, then Turkish spies were neutralised again on the 19th and the 22nd.

A range of airbase improvements were started along the Western Front on the 16th and also given high production priority, while supply production had been resumed with the stockpile falling (down to 93,200).

On 20 July, a survey of one of the disorganised TAC wings in Nowogródek showed it was up to a little over 1/3 effectiveness [27.9/68.6 org]. Their fighter escorts were at about the same level. More recovery would be needed if they were to have any endurance on the outbreak of war.

New STRAT and fighter wings were deployed in Vladivostok and began work-up on 23 July to provide a nuclear strike capability against Japan. Escorted bombers would be able to reach all of Japan’s principal centres from there.

vrrsHj.jpg

The range of the V2s (one had been deployed to Vladivostok earlier) was also increasing, but they could currently hit little from there and the main island of Honshu was out of range. Harbin and most of Korea could be struck – if such targets were worth the effort.

hULsQz.jpg

On 26 July another Turkish spy was neutralised, reducing their domestic strength to zero. The Soviet mission was changed, keeping half devoted to counter-espionage for now (as the Turks had been deploying new teams regularly) but Communist support was resumed and covert teams began to be assembled.

The latest Series XIV sub flotilla was deployed in the Far East on 30 July. It would be updated to the latest peripheral equipment to bring it up to ‘Level VI’ standards, but now had the longest range of any of the models (a mix of 1,700 and 2,500 km in the current longer-range squadron). Eventually, if enough were produced, a new squadron with these later models would be formed to operate at longer ranges.

DGoeDo.jpg

Early on 32 July, one of the 50th Corps rifle divisions near Khabarovsk was diverted further north to guard the naval base at Okha, on the northern tip of Sakhalin, which currently had just one garrison division protecting it, while a number of Japanese divisions gathered on the island’s border.

July saw five research projects completed. Work on the V2 range extension continued, with both land doctrines and air force training being extended.

Ax9wDr.jpg

August 1947

Yet another Soviet spy was neutralised in Spain on 2 August. Another would fall on 11 August, leading to a change in mission priorities: counter-espionage was resumed (25%), party support kept at 50% and covert ops reduced to 25%. Another Turkish spy was neutralised on 7 August.

On 9 August, the nine new V2s were completed and distributed to based along the Western Front. On the 12th, a new DD flotilla was deployed to the Red Banner Pacific Fleet. It was at least superior to the old Norvik class destroyers, some of which still served, even if they remained far behind their counterparts in the main Allied navies. The AA and radar equipment began upgrade on launch, as these had advanced after they were laid down.

ChARUA.jpg

The new sub flotilla in the 1st Sub Squadron was by then about 1/3 of the way through its peripheral post-launch equipment upgrades.

On 19 August, more provincial AA was completed at Brzesc Litweski. At that time, supply was continuing to run down (stockpile to 76,900), so supply production was increased from 70 to 80 IC, at the expense of general production (down to 94 IC). Consumer goods remained at about 100IC, with only small amounts spent on upgrades and reinforcement.

Two major new builds were delivered on 21 August, a powerful and fast tank division in the west (near Lwow) and a fourth transport wing to increase the lift capacity for airborne divisions, in the Far East.

8SVbGk.jpg

Supply production was further increased (to 100 IC, 35% of total production) on 28 August as the stockpile continued to run down (73,300).

Four projects were completed during the month, most in the last week. All the work came in air-related disciplines and mostly continued in them. Air to air missiles (which would be a big bonus when fully equipped) were introduced for the fighter wings and the research team switched their efforts to developing acoustic torpedoes for the submarine arm.

wznHJs.jpg

The intelligence summary for the last three months showed rising Allied spy activity (up from 34 in the previous quarter), though most of that came from the big haul of Turkish spies captured during the escalated espionage war there. The Soviet toll in Turkey and Spain was also quite high. Party support in both target countries remained quite reasonable, while covert ops teams were beginning to gather.

tnedjP.jpg

As the month ended, sample organisational surveys for Western some of the affected wings saw TAC at 53/75 org (maximum increased via recent tech advances) and their fighter escorts at 63/81, with A2A missile upgrades at about 16% complete.

As September 1947 dawned, the Soviets had a stockpile of six nuclear devices. The supply stockpile was still running down a bit daily and both upgrade and reinforcement costs had risen, but Stalin was unwilling to reduced the production queue any further. The air base infrastructure improvements begun earlier in the quarter were nearing completion, hopefully to help the air force stay in the air a little longer in the coming air war.

drBkVn.jpg

Objective changes had evened up dispositions in the Vladivostok Sector over recent months. Unfortunately, most of the initial terrain to be assaulted, while quite thinly held, was in mountain terrain and would likely prove difficult to attack and slow going. Only the front line provinces and Harbin itself were now designated objectives, matching the R.A.W. doctrine to quickly knock Manchuria out of the war (and switch it to the Comintern) as soon as possible. Korea would be ignored for now, while the Mongolian and Trans-Siberian Railway border with Manchuria would be set in defensive postures first up.

V7OygR.jpg

On the German-northern Polish border, another army from the Baltic Front had been switched down to the main offensive designed to cut through northern Poland to Torun. Forces on the Prussian border would remain on a defensive posture. No objectives were yet assigned for Königsberg or Danzig, with forces in the Brzesc Litewski area set to attack towards Warsaw and Lodz.

GtjX5F.jpg

Near Lwow, the border was more heavily guarded to its south, though a strike west to Krakow was planned through thinner Polish positions (though these included some powerful German expeditionary forces).

m24cOy.jpg

Romania was its usual mess, with more detailed defensive objectives having been set there in tandem with a few offensive objectives to try to even up the line. The plan to invade Bulgaria had been shelved for now, as too few forces were deemed available to carry those objectives while still hanging on in Romania, where a collection of powerful local and Allied expeditionary forces remained after the conclusion of the war against Germany in March 1944. Even if it did make ground, an offensive into Bulgaria ran the risk of being cut off if things deteriorated in Romania.

Little had changed on the Iraqi border, where the Soviets still planned on an aggressive advance with the forces available there. The Pakistan border would be left as a defensive frontier to start with: it could prove difficult to hold if Indian forces mobilised and came west to aid the Allied cause.

In the north, both Soviet armies had now been massed on the northern Finnish border with Norway. The Norwegians had been reinforced with some powerful British formations and were present in great numbers, so an offensive to take the sole port supplying them at Kirkenes would be desirable (and probably disastrous for the Allies), but given the difficult conditions had no guarantee of success.

oONwwG.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions:
So it begins. World War Three.

Yes, the sheer number of units produced by a human-run Soviet union can be quite the burden on older computer hardware... Glad to hear, you managed to get through the DOW eventually without losing the game file.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Spoiler: A Storm of Imperfection
oh this has been really unlucky

Air to air missiles (which would be a big bonus when fully equipped) were introduced for the fighter wings and the research team switched their efforts to developing acoustic torpedoes for the submarine arm.
Seems like we're filling in the secret techs one by one :)

We're getting ready for real this time, it's really exciting! I wonder how it will go, the debacle with the failed military exercises should've taught a lot to Soviet commanders and planners :)

Reactions:
So it begins. World War Three.

Yes, the sheer number of units produced by a human-run Soviet union can be quite the burden on older computer hardware... Glad to hear, you managed to get through the DOW eventually without losing the game file.
Getting close again now, after a false start. I think it was the mechanics of about 60 Allied countries going through the DoW process! I hadn’t moved anything yet - unless it was the added complication of the AIthen reacting to the start of the war as well.
Seems like we're filling in the secret techs one by one :)
This one seemed a logical path given our side-project of building up the submarine arm. If we can’t have nuclear attack subs, then this seems the next best bet ;)
We're getting ready for real this time, it's really exciting! I wonder how it will go, the debacle with the failed military exercises should've taught a lot to Soviet commanders and planners :)
Yes, it approaches. Part of me wanted to push forward, but I need to keep the chapters to a reasonable length. :D

• 2Like
Reactions:
And even after about a week of combat, some fronts on blitz with light opposition had not launched an attack, while other on defensive were making bloody attacks in East Prussia. The Air Force was quickly rendered useless, many of the wings never even getting into combat, while the Luftwaffe pulverised several provinces. There were still some reasonable air battles, but the lack of several groups of interceptors due to the initial relocations was decisive. Even the Hungarian, Polish and Greek bombers were often striking at will.

Also, it became clear that the way the objectives were interpreted by the AI in the Far East had scrambled their layout, separated the Army HQs from the bulk of their troops and concentrated them strangely in large pockets and left Mongolia wide open. The whole thing was a dogs breakfast. I also realised I’d need to take a more general and different approach to recording progress on the battlefield and recording all the battle and air raids details as I had for the Far East was going to be unworkable for a supposedly ‘quick and dirty’ AAR.
Stalinist revisionism at it's finest. "There was no war comrade, you were imagining it."

It is at least reassuring that you remember this is supposed to be Quick and Dirty. We don't need two massively detailed Soviet AARs going at once, how on earth would anyone find the time to keep up?

Reactions:
After a series of purges, demotions and ‘re-education’, he Soviet Union went about refining its plans, dispositions and waited for the badly disorganised air wings in the West to reorganise – a time-consuming process.
Purges, excellent, the Soviet way remains as it always has. It is good to know that some still keep to the old ways.

That day, a Turkish spy was neutralised, then another on the 27th, but at the cost of a Soviet spy lost there on the 28th in a bloody escalation of the Secret War.
In another ATL, the Turkish intelligence services wonder why all of these "Japanese" agents look awfully Russian in complexion.

On the 12th, a new DD flotilla was deployed to the Red Banner Pacific Fleet. It was at least superior to the old Norvik class destroyers, some of which still served, even if they remained far behind their counterparts in the main Allied navies.
Took me a bit to work this one out, largely because Paradox misspelled Novik to the surprise of none present I am sure. At least it did exist, though interestingly the reference as "Novik class" seems idiosyncratic depending on which language sources one consults - English sources seem to consider each sub-class a distinct class while Russian sources seem to use the overarching term freely. A curious little fact to enlighten your day, I suppose.

It is at least reassuring that you remember this is supposed to be Quick and Dirty. We don't need two massively detailed Soviet AARs going at once, how on earth would anyone find the time to keep up?
The solution of course is for this one to become slower than real time. 'Odin' is already basically so, thus Q&D2 may as well take the plunge. What, after all, is in a name? :p

• 2Haha
Reactions:
See - such shenanigans is why the State must devote considerable resources to maintain the 9mm consumer good stockpiles!

Seriously though, glad you were able to get it all sorted.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very well then, next instalment all not oo far off publishing, so here follows feedback on the last few comments:
This should be innerstin.
Let's hope so! Whether I choose wisely ... or poorly. ;)
Stalinist revisionism at it's finest. "There was no war comrade, you were imagining it."
Quite so. Either that or (for the old hands) like that whole season of Dallas that was just a dream sequence. :D
Massively detailed on this one would break me, let alone the dear readAARs! Q&D it must be (well, by my standards anyway)
Purges, excellent, the Soviet way remains as it always has. It is good to know that some still keep to the old ways.
Quite - tradition!
In another ATL, the Turkish intelligence services wonder why all of these "Japanese" agents look awfully Russian in complexion.
:D
Took me a bit to work this one out, largely because Paradox misspelled Novik to the surprise of none present I am sure. At least it did exist, though interestingly the reference as "Novik class" seems idiosyncratic depending on which language sources one consults - English sources seem to consider each sub-class a distinct class while Russian sources seem to use the overarching term freely. A curious little fact to enlighten your day, I suppose.
Another Paradoxian situation. o_O
The solution of course is for this one to become slower than real time. 'Odin' is already basically so, thus Q&D2 may as well take the plunge. What, after all, is in a name? :p
No, no - I have to get one of these AARs finished, and Q&D1 is the only one I've finished in the last four-and-a-half years! :eek: Maybe this will be the second!
See - such shenanigans is why the State must devote considerable resources to maintain the 9mm consumer good stockpiles!

Seriously though, glad you were able to get it all sorted.
The Makarov solution. Should be all OK from here: next throw of the dice will not be recalled, whether things work or not.

To All: next ep to publish when I can get it written up! [Images all done]. Shouldn't take too long.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 37 – September to October 1947
Chapter 37 – September to October 1947

Introduction

The Soviet build-up to WW3 continues after the hiccups of the ‘wargames’ conducted a month or two back. When will Stalin think his war machine is as ready as it is likely to be for the next stage of the World Revolution?

September 1947

The month began with STAVKA trying to re-balance the lop-sided Vladivostok Sector. Too many forces were concentrated in the south, opposite a formidable range of mountains that would slow combat and movement on the way to the immediate objective of Harbin, the taking of which should knock Manchuria out of the Allies and force them to join the Comintern. The territory around Khabarovsk and to its south was more open and may provide a quicker route to Harbin. At 1900 hr on 1 September, 6ya Armiya was ordered to march north to occupy this area.

The other issue that would delay a declaration of war against the Allies was the roll-out of air-to-air missiles to all Soviet fighter wings, currently just in its early stages (around 7.2% in front-line INT wings at that point, less in others). The crucial combat bonus these would give was considered critical for the chances in the coming air war, in which the Soviets would be considerably outnumbered in the West.

By 0500hr on 2 September, the new objectives for 6ya and 15th Armies had been decided and by 2000hr divisions were on the moves to their new positions.

4EmdbC.jpg

Improvements to the main five air bases for the Western Front were finished on 6 September and all were continued. The more of these that could be completed before war came, the better, as well.

e1Pg0U.jpg

The alignment of the three Chinese warlord states to the Comintern was virtually complete by 8 September, even though they remained too neutral to recruit to the Pact. The diplomatic missions to all three were withdrawn, with the effort redirected to research and officer training. The four new projects started would see the whole new suite of infantry weapons introduced in a little over a month: including the new AK-47.

lYOOaZ.jpg

1 ya Armiya, which had been allocated to the 2nd Far Eastern Front and had divisions helping to secure Mongolia, had stubbornly kept its Army HQ and two of it corps concentrated in the Vladivostok Sector, no matter how many times its commander General Cherniakhovskij [eg the AI] was given objectives that should have sent them over there. So on 14 September it was transferred to the the command of 1st FE Front and given objectives in the south of the Vladivostok Sector, while its 15th Mech Corps in Mongolia was transferred to 7th Army.

The radar station in Vladivostok was improved to level two on 16 September and building began for level three.

21 September saw A2A missile upgrades at 52.2% in one sample Yak-15 INT wing in the West.

During September, five research projects were completed. Follow-on projects continued to concentrate on the Air Force and improving land doctrine.

NMobbz.jpg

October 1947

A2A missile progress was up to 70% in some wings by 1 October.

On 10 October, another new longer-range sub flotilla was deployed in the Far East. While the boats were worked up and given their final ‘Romeo Class’ peripheral improvements after launch, the long range squadron was split into three, each according to the maximum range of its boats. A second heavy bomber wing was added to the strategic group based in Vladivostok.

2VNAIE.jpg

A2A upgrades in the west were reaching around 95% completion in the INT wings by 15 October, as plans for war began to fall into place. The Far Eastern frontier was far more evenly manned now after the tweaking of missions and objectives there. It too was near readiness.

hcQdvT.jpg

In the West, some objective refinement had finally also managed to get some thin coverage on the Romanian-Hungarian border west of Iasi, after months of trying.

dAymgH.jpg

To ease congestion in Vladivostok [and stop the AI moving 21st Fighter Group from base to base, as it had started to do], a new air base was built in Khabarovsk and three wings redeployed there on 19 October. They would eventually be reassigned to 6ya Armiya.

xWnQTT.jpg

The latest survey of A2A upgrades conducted at that time showed deployment was uneven. Some front line INT wings in the West had finished their upgrades [giving them 17 air attack], others were at around 95-6%.

On 22 October, the latest range improvement for the Soviet rocket arm (the SS-6 model – see monthly research summary below) was completed. As current models were upgraded, four new batteries were put in production. They would now be able to reach 580km.

WZwoW0.jpg

The supply stockpile had been at maximum for some time and there was no current need for more production, which meant work on the production queue backlog had been significantly expanded.

The Air Force advised that A2A upgrades for the multi-role Mig-15s had been significantly slower than the INT. A sample wing in the Far East was at 86.4% completion as at 24 October, while another in the West was only at 82.8% a day later.

A new sub class was introduced on 26 October with the first Whiskey-class flotilla deployed, with a maximum range of 4,400km. It’s organisational build-up and peripheral equipment upgrades were begun immediately.

5VvaQC.jpg

The next round of five Western air base expansions was completed on 28 October and the workers rolled straight into the next level (always left near the top of the production queue).

Research advances for October numbered four, including the rocket engine advance mentioned earlier. New research maintained the focus on improving the rocket and Air Force equipment and training.

CuIvnd.jpg

Intelligence Report – September-October

The Turks neutralised a Soviet spy on 6 September and a second on the 19th, prompting a change in mission emphasis there, with 1/5 of the effort put on counter-espionage, even though no active local enemy spies were known to be operating.

zJrRmZ.jpg

But no Turkish spies were neutralised in coming days, while the Soviets lost teams on 24 September, then on 19 and 25 October, plus one team in Spain on 23 October. Once more, mission adjustments were made in both countries, where domestic effort was increasing. But the Soviets were reluctant to draw down their political influencing and covert infiltration missions too far. Spy training was also increased a little at the expense of officer training.

1TI7NZ.jpg

One spy was picked up in Spain a few days later, but another Soviet agent was lost in Turkey on 31 October. The bi-monthly summary showed apprehensions at home were down (they had been 40 in the previous three months, now just 23 in the last two). Germany was once again by far the largest presence, followed by Japan, then the UK and France. Communist influence and covert capacity in both Turkey and Spain was increased, even though it had been a black time for the KGB in Turkey, with the reserve on barely keeping up with demand.

j25JgT.jpg

Intelligence Summary for September-October 1947

1 November 1947

With disposition adjustments completed and the A2A missile conversion process virtually complete, Stalin gave the coded order for movement to be in battle positions by 0200hr on 1 November 1947. Even though it would mean a winter campaign, his impatience would not let him wait any longer.

All objectives and stances were reviewed and confirmed.

Far Eastern Theatre (the East)

The 1st FE Front had about 440,000 ground troops in three armies, with objectives stretching from Yongjin (Korea) in the south to Hegang in the north. 6ya and 15th Armies were both set to a blitzing stance, 1st Army to an attacking stance. Most of the air support was concentrated in Vladivostok.

PhaC1c.jpg

The defensive objectives would be removed once war was declared: they had been necessary to get the troops to move to their required starting points and not bunch up too much. Depth objectives, such as Harbin, would be added later – I found some of them had been causing deployment problems along the way.

The 2nd FE Front now had just 7th Army (193,000 men) under command, defending the rest of the border with Manchuria and Mengukuo (which had been boosted by a number of Chinese EFs). They would be supported by the Mongolian Army. Their mission was purely defensive, at least in Mongolia. Their divisions on the northern Manchurian border may be brought into and advance south on Harbin if necessary.

qlQ6AQ.jpg

Archangelsk Theatre (the North)

The north would be another purely defensive theatre for now. The Norwegians had been heavily reinforced by some capable Allied (especially British) divisions and it was felt the 220,000 troops assigned in a single Front with two armies would be necessary to keep it quiet – and perhaps advance subsequently.

myH3Cd.jpg

The West

The Baltic Theatre had two Fronts assigned (about 620,000 men in total). The South West Front, with three armies, had a defensive mission and was tasked with keeping Prussia contained. They could switch to the attack later if called for.

DqLMFt.jpg

The Leningrad Front (also three armies) had orders to blitz through northern Poland to try to cut off the Allies in Prussia, or at least force their withdrawal.

aD78UD.jpg

The Lwow Theatre had three Fronts (approximately 800,000 men in total), assigned, from the Polish-Prussian border down to the Black Sea. The Polish Front (four armies assigned, 263,000 men) also had a blitzing mission, from supporting the advance in northern Poland, then Warsaw, Lublin and Krakow in the south.

2L0RDk.jpg

Polish Front – northern sector.

4Fq98b.jpg

Polish Front – central and southern sectors.

The Hungarian Front had two armies (244,000 men) assigned and also had blitzing orders, with Kosice and Debrecen being the intermediate objectives. But they had higher concentrations of Allied troops facing them and in wargames had shown some reluctance to advance, even with these aggressive orders. Not even threats of purges and penal battalion postings had been enough to change this, though it was hoped they might be more aggressive this time.

7iVfu7.jpg

The Romanian Front now had a completely defensive stance set, with four armies (around 295,000 men) up against some heavy concentrations of front line and secondary Allied nation divisions at or near the border.

RjegKz.jpg

Caucasus Theatre (the South)

The Pakistan Front had a defensive mission and only around 80,000 men assigned in the 19th Army.

FbLvhD.jpg

But on the Turkish Front, 13th Army was tasked with the invasion of Iraq, with three main objectives assigned and 104,000 men to do it.

mwfjHJ.jpg

Thus things stood poised, waiting for Stalin to give the final order and challenge the West to the final showdown.

World War III

The gauntlet was thrown down at 0200hr on 1 November 1947: the orders were preceded by the phrase “This is NOT an exercise! The Red Storm Rises!”.

nM2tTP.jpg

The first war goal set for most countries was to install Communism (the permanent revolution, as Trotsky would have put it). But a limited number had the puppet objective set first up, for Communist China because it was necessary, the others because they were front line adversaries and might fall quickly. All would be given both objectives after a month of fighting.

I only confirmed this now, with an experiment, having noticed the nuke button was present on more than the STRAT bombers – but greyed out when not at war. I conducted some practice runs with V2s and TAC – and confirmed both can deliver nukes to target. So I have short-range nuclear ballistic missiles. But TAC can carry them as well, and even NAV if necessary. So STRAT may have the longest range, but are not required to deliver nukes.

7avmn2.jpg
This IS a drill! Consider it a couple of tests in Siberia.

Endnote: A Special Surprise. Knowing how long everyone (including me) has waited for the Big Day, I tried to include the first day of the war, in rather more detail than will be done for the rest of the adventure, in this single chapter, but it was a bit too big. I want the extra detail at first to illustrate how a range of sample air and land battles in both east and west (mainly) would pan out at first in a more tactical way. Also to see how the AI acted in the initial onslaught, plus to maybe get some tips, advice etc if any occur to those more used to using the AI at army level than I in this higher intensity setting.

So the next chapter, covering just 1 November 1947 – the first day’s fighting – will come out shortly. The pictures are all edited, just need to write up and publish, hopefully in another day or so.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Wow, the day has finally come! I feel so bad for you trying to guide your AI generals into position, but I suspect all that work is about to pay off! If I remember right, HOI3's nukes are unity crushing weapons rather than destroying units. I know you had discussed the need to take out Germany quickly, so I suspect they will be getting a fair share of nukes?

• 1Like
Reactions: