• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

timfrombriz

Sergeant
21 Badges
Mar 29, 2011
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities in Motion
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
Road System
This one is personal. I've been badgering on about CIM2's road and traffic system for over a year now. I whole heartedly believe that this could give the game a really good strategic dynamic if you give it some love. At least make this part of the game moddable, so the users can expand on it. The thing's I've made requests (too many times) for are;

Better Road Tool - You can now build roads with greater control, allowing customized intersections, with or without traffic lights, mange the flow of specific lanes (i.e. control which lanes turn left/right/straight at an intersection approach) and override the default traffic light timings to give better control over your CIM's traffic flow.

Improved Traffic AI - No longer do vehicles merge into a single lane on a 5 lane highway when a onramp approaches, this as well as many other bottlenecks in the traffic algorithm have been improved. Or use a single lane when more than one lane achieves the same pathfinding purpose.

Pedestrian bridges - You can now build narrow pedestrian bridges with the option of stairs, that connect to raised station platforms, and have the ability to remove the the 'teleporter' buildings to force CIM's to use these facilities. (if applicable for CS). Could also be used for crossings over roads and train lines.

Zebra Crossings - You can now add zebra crossings, with traffic lights if desired to roadways, and also have the ability to remove default zebra crossings at intersections.

Roundabouts - Now place roundabouts in your road network with the roundabout tool, with the ability to customize the number of junctions, road type, and modify its placement rotation and size with the new roundabout tool. (A bit like a template of pre-defined road segments). And why Egg-abouts:huh:?

Map Size
You've mentioned 25 tiles, and you unlock 5 of these in total with population milestones, each 2x2km in size. How big does this 2x2km compare in size to say a large CIM2 map? Just trying to gauge if the world will be bigger or smaller.

64 bit
CIM2 had a vast number of users experiencing problems with the 4Gb ram barrier (3Gb usable under Win32), and I'm also guessing a lot of future design choices by CO for CIM2 had to be careful to further esculate this problem. I have a high end machine and find my custom map/save game either resulted from a crash to desktop or a "out of memory" error when saving within a few hours of playing that map.

My concern is these problems will eventually surface with CS (especially with hard core players like me), and I've read 64bit is not on the cards, but I'm still going to suggest releasing a 64bit build in addition to the 32bit build, even if you spec the game for a 32bit audience, it enables the heavy modder/larger maps than initially permitted to really be playable.

Night/Day Cycle
This is just feedback, not asking for it, but the lack of a night cycle would take from the game visually. Simcity 4 had a day/night cycle and it really made the city feel alive, and look visually beautiful and considering Unity does most of the work involved here, I see it as detracting visually from the game and could really make your game sell better visually, even if it omitted any functional purpose (i.e. peak traffic/time of day).

No Underground Roads?
No underground roads or tunnels? Tell me I'm wrong, but I think this is something that needs to be included in the game, a tunnel under a river, or through a mountain prohibited?

Left/Right Hand Side Driving
No biggie, but for those of us in countries where we drive on the other side of the road, and the toilets flush the other way, do you plan to add this locality support to the game. Could it be modded in?

Last edited:

Synthtronic

Captain
27 Badges
Dec 20, 2010
www.vgigant.de.vu
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Cities in Motion
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Type of buildings
How many buildings you plan for the game? Less than 200 or more than 500 or 1000?

@timfrombitz
To your question of mapsize:
in CiM2 the mapsize is 64km², these are 16 tiles for CSL

LasVenturasTO13

Private
Aug 16, 2014
hey guys..something for you from reddit

Q: I know probably can’t get specifics, but would you describe this as a more expansive or larger area to build a city on than the (very restricted) tiny room in simcity 2013? I often find that game revolves around tearing down one thing to fix something and causing another problem in the process because of the small room.

A: It’s a lot bigger. About 36km2.

We’ve optimized the game for cities of that size. BUT – The sweetest feature is that we’ll have an option where you can uncouple the limitation and go bigger. but that’s up to you and your hardware :)

I’d love to see what PCGamers Large Pixel Collider can do :)

FourWinds

Captain
13 Badges
Aug 18, 2014
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
true. in the video the map looks huge!!

Here's my understanding so far:

The 'map' in CSL will consist of 25 2kmx2km tiles (100km2). Whilst in normal mode ('campaign' if you will) you get to expand your build, through an unlocking system, to up to 9 of those 25 tiles i.e. 36km2. Some other guy in the forum presented an example like this:

xxx1x
xx23x
x456x
xx78x
xx9xx

So the overall vista, in 'campaign' mode, is bigger than the build area.

However, it has been stated by CO that you can turn off this restriction if you wish. How well the simulation is going to work if you want to simulate more than 36km2 however is not known.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Svip

Unpaid Ulm PR employee
81 Badges
Sep 6, 2009
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • For The Glory
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings III
64 bit
CIM2 had a vast number of users experiencing problems with the 4Gb ram barrier (3Gb usable under Win32), and I'm also guessing a lot of future design choices by CO for CIM2 had to be careful to further esculate this problem. I have a high end machine and find my custom map/save game either resulted from a crash to desktop or a "out of memory" error when saving within a few hours of playing that map.

My concern is these problems will eventually surface with CS (especially with hard core players like me), and I've read 64bit is not on the cards, but I'm still going to suggest releasing a 64bit build in addition to the 32bit build, even if you spec the game for a 32bit audience, it enables the heavy modder/larger maps than initially permitted to really be playable.

The main issue with 64-bit is not so much that it won't work on old 32-bit machines, but largely because A) compilers are not very optiimised for 64-bit yet and B) the operating systems vary significantly in performance. Particularly Windows is lacking behind OS X and Linux, when it comes to 64-bit. That would be all right if the game was only released on Windows, but since the game is also released on OS X and Linux (which I highly appreciate), Windows would effectively become lesser citizens because of their choice of operating system.

However, 64-bit has advantages beyond more memory, it also allows for more function calls in quick succession due to the larger amount of registries available. This is especially significant in a simulation game.

You can read more about C++ optimisation as well as the benefits (and disadvantages) of 64-bit here. I highlighted some points in this post

SlyEcho

████████
96 Badges
Aug 13, 2010
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • For The Glory
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities in Motion 2
The main issue with 64-bit is not so much that it won't work on old 32-bit machines, but largely because A) compilers are not very optiimised for 64-bit yet and B) the operating systems vary significantly in performance. Particularly Windows is lacking behind OS X and Linux, when it comes to 64-bit. That would be all right if the game was only released on Windows, but since the game is also released on OS X and Linux (which I highly appreciate), Windows would effectively become lesser citizens because of their choice of operating system.

However, 64-bit has advantages beyond more memory, it also allows for more function calls in quick succession due to the larger amount of registries available. This is especially significant in a simulation game.

You can read more about C++ optimisation as well as the benefits (and disadvantages) of 64-bit here. I highlighted some points in this post

Well, the game is made with Unity which runs on Mono. So compilers wouldn't matter much (except the JIT compiler, of course). It should also be cross-platform compatible too, ideally.

JPGM22

Captain
31 Badges
Jun 13, 2012
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion 2
2 Questions

How will be the metro stations?? Like CIM or like in CIM2?? Or like in SC4? I don't like CIM2's stations.

Will be possible to block the buildings? For example, if a building was built in my city center and I like them can I turn him into a "monument" and prevent the constrution again in that spot? Nobody will be able to destroy that building. only if the "monument" status is removed.

co_martsu

Colossal Order CEO
Colossal Order Dev
1 Badges
Aug 25, 2010
  • Colossal Order Staff
Road System
This one is personal. I've been badgering on about CIM2's road and traffic system for over a year now. I whole heartedly believe that this could give the game a really good strategic dynamic if you give it some love. At least make this part of the game moddable, so the users can expand on it. The thing's I've made requests (too many times) for are;

Better Road Tool - You can now build roads with greater control, allowing customized intersections, with or without traffic lights, mange the flow of specific lanes (i.e. control which lanes turn left/right/straight at an intersection approach) and override the default traffic light timings to give better control over your CIM's traffic flow.

Improved Traffic AI - No longer do vehicles merge into a single lane on a 5 lane highway when a onramp approaches, this as well as many other bottlenecks in the traffic algorithm have been improved. Or use a single lane when more than one lane achieves the same pathfinding purpose.

Pedestrian bridges - You can now build narrow pedestrian bridges with the option of stairs, that connect to raised station platforms, and have the ability to remove the the 'teleporter' buildings to force CIM's to use these facilities. (if applicable for CS). Could also be used for crossings over roads and train lines.

Zebra Crossings - You can now add zebra crossings, with traffic lights if desired to roadways, and also have the ability to remove default zebra crossings at intersections.

Roundabouts - Now place roundabouts in your road network with the roundabout tool, with the ability to customize the number of junctions, road type, and modify its placement rotation and size with the new roundabout tool. (A bit like a template of pre-defined road segments). And why Egg-abouts:huh:?

We're improving the road building tool and the pathfinding. This however doesn't necessarily mean more detailed tool, but we're looking into our options on this!

Map Size
You've mentioned 25 tiles, and you unlock 5 of these in total with population milestones, each 2x2km in size. How big does this 2x2km compare in size to say a large CIM2 map? Just trying to gauge if the world will be bigger or smaller.

You unlock up to 9 map tiles, that are ~2kmx2km = 4km^2 so the city is max. 36km^2 in size. The map size is smaller than in CIM2, which was 8kmx8km, if I remember correctly. In the trailer you can get an idea of the city size, it's footage from the game at it's current state.

64 bit

The game requires Win 64bit to run for enough allocated memory. Our programmers are on top of this and will make the needed decisions when it's time.

Night/Day Cycle
This is just feedback, not asking for it, but the lack of a night cycle would take from the game visually. Simcity 4 had a day/night cycle and it really made the city feel alive, and look visually beautiful and considering Unity does most of the work involved here, I see it as detracting visually from the game and could really make your game sell better visually, even if it omitted any functional purpose (i.e. peak traffic/time of day).

We're looking into making the game visually appealing in other ways.

No Underground Roads?
No underground roads or tunnels? Tell me I'm wrong, but I think this is something that needs to be included in the game, a tunnel under a river, or through a mountain prohibited?

I'll forward your feedback to the team.

Left/Right Hand Side Driving
No biggie, but for those of us in countries where we drive on the other side of the road, and the toilets flush the other way, do you plan to add this locality support to the game. Could it be modded in?

Living in Finland driving on the right hand side comes to us naturally. We didn't plan on modelling the toilets!

Philemon1976

First Lieutenant
14 Badges
Feb 1, 2011
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
Just a small - but important (at least for me) - suggestion: please make the roads, plazas, bridges and so on nameable.
As I mentioned it here before, it would add a great personal touch and it doesn't seem such a big deal in programming (I hope so, at least ;-D)
Would be a great addition to the districts. please consider this.

Greenslade

Captain
31 Badges
Jul 16, 2013
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
Road System
Pedestrian bridges

Yeah, having better pedestrian routing across roads would be nice. So roads, underpasses, zebra crossings. It would be nice to be able to pick at build, or upgrade.
No Underground Roads?
Please don't get rid of this! If it's based off the CiM2 principles I don't know why you couldn't still have the multiple levels of tunnels and stuff. It's the thing I think CiM2 has over and above other city building games and it would be awful to lose it in Skylines.

If you can do "rollercoaster" bridges, why not the same thing with underground tunnel networks, like you can now?

I quite often stick underground highway systems in so that the junctions don't have to take up massive amounts of map space. I'd like to be able to do that in the new game.

However, it would be very nice if the highway system worked a little bit smoother too. Sometimes I'll stick in a 6 or 8 lane highway, and the Cims will only use the onramps and the lane connecting to them - backing up in a traffic jam but leaving 3 lanes unused.

Svip

Unpaid Ulm PR employee
81 Badges
Sep 6, 2009
  • Heir to the Throne
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • For The Glory
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings III
Well, the game is made with Unity which runs on Mono. So compilers wouldn't matter much (except the JIT compiler, of course). It should also be cross-platform compatible too, ideally.

Mono is not as good as Microsoft's own .NET C# compiler, largely because Microsoft has kept their cards to themselves. I know Microsoft have done some support for Mono. However, since Microsoft released the source code for their .NET compiler a few weeks (maybe months?) ago, things should definitely become better for Mono.