• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mormegil said:
It was... I've looked throught it once, and Messina strait was amongst them. Believe me, I checked this long ago.
I have seen this list too. It included several straits in Crimea, two between Anatolia and Greece, one between Gibraltar and Tangiers, several in Denmark, and the one you mentioned. I have no idea what happened to it though. You two shouldnt worry. As long as there are straits, Calabria to Messina will be there. ;)

THE HEAD MOD IS TAKING AN (UN)DESERVED VACATION. I WILL BE TRAVELING TO THE BIRTH PLACE OF THIS FINE GAME (DEVON). BUT IM COMING BACK ON AUGUST 1ST SO IT'S ONLY A WEEK.

I'll try to check on the game occasionally, but some days will be spent on the Moor with just myself and a compass, so dont expect wonders ;) In the mean time I'm sure the wonderful players and moderators will do an outstanding job :D Take it easy guys!

freshprince.jpg

ta and stay black!

Time Freeze

With so many people away and having been away, GA (just got back), Long, Ladislav, Calipah, IKK (if I remember it right), etc, etc. With a war on and with critical inscription impending i've decided its best we allow some time to catch up. I know there's a wedding going on in Bohemia that has had little attention other than for plotting and there's a whole bunch of fun happening in Italy.

The turn, Spring 1384 will officially end on Sunday, the 7th of August.

Enjoy!

stat master found!

Joust.gif

I have decided to make Praetor our new stat manager. he is a dedicated player of the game and has been around for long. welcome to the team Praetor! For now you will have to labour without mod access. i will work out a way for it to work for now. congratulations! yours is one of the most important and most overlooked role on the team ;)

Warning: Attrition!

attrition.txt

It can happen to you!

Rules Thread said:
Attrition
In general, armies are not subject to formalised attrition. However, in special cases there may be an attrition event run after the battles, with a chance of losing land military points or other penalty. These circumstances are:

Winter - Fighting battles during wintertime (the December-February turn) is not advised! Your troops will be extra vulnerable to attrition in the harsh conditions, if you force them to fight.

Distance - Fighting to far from your home is likewise not encouraged. Any army a large number of provinces away from its own nation will suffer attrition as supplies from home gets harassed, and the local population cannot be expected to simply allow the army to live of the land.

Massed Forces - Soldiers must forage and pillage the lands through which they pass in order to survive. Extremely large armies will suffer starvation, disease and desertion, depending on the size of the force and the value of the province. Note especially allied forces.

I'm sure with the latest batch of battle results, people will be wondering at what specifics go into figuring attrition. The above is a good place to look. I also think that as a standard rule of thumb, having 5x or more than the province value in LM is a bad idea (consider that even in a capital province, the garrison is only 2x the value, you'll never need more than this amount). This would then be modified by circumstances, such as how long the army has been there, the season, the climate/territory. Attrition events will worsen over time, and will be run every turn until either the army totally disbands, the situation somehow improves, or perhaps the army even turns rebel.

Economic Events

I've decided to go ahead and start the first few in the coming days. They will be significantly different than the trade events of the previous incarnation. The details of this will be explained later.

In order to qualify you must at least:

Have been in your role for at least 1 game year (short abscences are okay, but will depend on my judgement).

Have spent at least some attention on rp'ing the economic activities of your country, whether it be a series of posts about the farmers, trade negotiations, etc.

Be prepared to suffer possible negative consequences of the result of the event.

I'd recommend those of you who are interested to start gathering links and writing up your cases for the events. I'll most likely ask for them over the coming weekend.

Thanks! :)

Economic Events - Part 2

Those who are interested and meet the critera in the previous Economic Events post (and what will also be displayed) here may now send their apps to the events email. It is recommended however that the following be reviewed first...

Premise: Economic Events (if you are familiar with the previous incarnation) are something of an extension of the previous 'Trade Events'. The idea behind Economic Events is to provide mechanical representation for yet another facet of play not necessarily directly related to political action and movement. Economic Events are provided under the understanding that like all events there is both a chance of gain and loss. It should also be noted that if a country does not wish to recieve Economic Events, it simply shall not and that does not in any way indicate that said country is any less of an economic power than its peers.

Application: For one to recieve Economic Events they must submit application to the events inbox (medievalevents@yahoo.co.uk) with "Economic Event Application" in the subject header. Other subject headers may lead to your application being deleted before I even look at it. That said not all countries may apply and expect to recieve an event, only those countries whose players have put substantial effort into roleplaying the lives, activities, etc. of those associated with the economic condition of the country. The following criteria must be met to recieve an economic event by application...

A: Player must have been in his current role for at least one game year, approximately one month real-time. (short abscences will be considered on a case by case basis)

B: Player must have shown dedication and effort in roleplaying the economic facet of his country.

C: Player cannot be currently under the effects of previous economic events.​

Q&A

How do Economic Events differ from the previous Trade Events? Economic events will have longer duration, will not be run at regular intervals, will have more varied effects, will be rolled in different fashion and be affected by a different modifier system, they are also subject to more criteria.

Why the one game year waiting period? All countries progress together through time, and much is relevant. This is why tech values don't increase over time for instance. It is logical to assume that no significant economic effect other than the usual highs and slumps could occur due to specific activity in a shorter timespan.

Will there be modifiers as per the previous activity modifiers? Yes, modifiers will range normally from -1 to +2 on an applied event. Modifiers will be based upon activity, geography, history (real and in-game) and dedication, no country under any circumstance will recieve a +2 on their first applied event, and +1's will be rare. -1 will be the base modifier. Lower modifiers will certainly be possible on event triggered economic events.

How will the event table be structured? The event table will be designed to give a bit more flavour to the results, both negative and positive (which on a straight roll should have roughly equal chances). The table will be low negative, high positive and as I plan it to have varying effects within each result. That is not all "Inflation" results will be the same, this to allow further player customization in their relevant RP.

How will the rolls and modifiers be done? The roll will, as per all my events, be 1-10. However there will be two rolls, the first unmodified, the second modified. The average then of both rolls will be used to determine result (which may have yet another sub-roll).

Why two rolls? To normalize effects toward centre and to make the highest and lowest results more rare and that much more noteworthy for RP and mechanical purposes.

Wouldn't having a modifer on only one roll cheapen the modifer and thus make all the RP not worth it? Only if you are doing the RP for the wrong reason. Modifiers are not quite so cheap however as they will affect your highest and lowest possible results. -1 will make a 10 impossible (instead counting as a 9) and +2 would make a 1 impossible (instead counting as a 3).

Isn't this basically gambling with my country's stats? Yes.

Were you aware that the declining number of pirates since the 1800's has been in direct proportion to the rise in global temperatures? Yes, i'm quite aware.

----------------

If you have any other questions, concerns, compliments, or random thoughts concerning the Economic Events, drop me a pm. I will be accepting applications probably for the next week, I will update on that in the coming days.

Cheers,
-Katz. :)

Last edited: