• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
that raises an interesting point, if valve goes bankrupt, and steam goes down with it, will i lose my account all my valuable games in them? :<

its pretty simple
You download a Gamersgate installation file.
Double click it and enter your account name and password and it automatically downloads and installs the game.
When it finishes it asks what to do with the temp files, if you choose to keep them, the next time you install the game it will skip downloading the game and install straight from the temp files.
Once the game is installed you don't ever need to be connected to the internet to play.

where is the main game installed after initial download and............ the temps ???

where is the main game installed after initial download and............ the temps ???

The game is installed wherever you tell it to go, Just the same as installing a cd.
The temp files I'm pretty sure, go to the same folder as the GG installer file.

So basically, I can't have an offline copy on cd/dvd/stick/external hard? No access to internet, no install?

That sucks... It's like a local video rental, or worse.

Unfortunately even if you have the temp files, you do still need to briefly access GG to begin the installation, yes (except for a few exceptions).
For paradox games there seems to be no limit to how many times you can install however, and they keep your games on thier system FOREVER, so unless you have a unreliable internet connection or GG goes bust overnight it shouldn't really cause any problem.

PS.
Cheers Yoda for pointing out multiquote, it does make life easier.:)

Last edited:
Unfortunately even if you have the temp files, you do still need to briefly access GG to begin the installation, yes (except for a few exceptions).
For paradox games there seems to be no limit to how many times you can install however, and they keep your games on thier system FOREVER, so unless you have a unreliable internet connection or GG goes bust overnight it shouldn't really cause any problem.
So basically, the game is "mine" as long as GG exists? Not a good prospect.

I want to be able to install it anytime I want it, even without a internet connection or even 20 years from now, and not to be dependent on the continuing existence of any company or website.

In the end I'll probably buy it just because I WANT to pay for a good product, but the moment someone makes a version that works without GG, I'm getting it and burning it and storing it on an external drive, just to be sure.

I want to be able to install it anytime I want it, even without a internet connection or even 20 years from now, and not to be dependent on the continuing existence of any company or website.

In the end I'll probably buy it just because I WANT to pay for a good product, but the moment someone makes a version that works without GG, I'm getting it and burning it and storing it on an external drive, just to be sure.

In 20 years I'm just going to 'pirate' it.
Of course it's not really pirating.
Because I still have a valid license for use.
The distribution channel is virtually irrelevant.

Yep, it would definately be a better system if they included a setup file inside the temp files that didn't require you to access GG every time. Compared to what I've seen of steam etc. though, I still think GG is one of the better online game stores I've seen.

:eek: I don't really like to admit it but I'm tempted to agree here.
Bit of a grey area though (is it piracy if you bought it 20 years ago, its like saying every tape I owned is eligable to be downloaded and burnt to disk including the ones my dog ate) many would say piracy is still theft however you excuse it.

Last edited:

I don't know whether or not a license would remain through a bankruptcy, as it could be seen as a claim against the company, seeing as a warranty is invalidated (except for third-party extendeds).

I don't know whether or not a license would remain through a bankruptcy, as it could be seen as a claim against the company, seeing as a warranty is invalidated (except for third-party extendeds).

Granted, I didn't consider that possibility.
Still, I'd morally totally secure with it.
I'm rather happy with the policy of paradox concerning its games.

No security whatsoever, and somehow the vast majority of the people active in the community buy the games. This also allows for situations like this to sort of 'solve itself'.

No security whatsoever, and somehow the vast majority of the people active in the community buy the games.

It'd be kinda like stealing from family.:p

Paradox is a fantastic community, I've spent almost as much time on the forums as I have playing their games. If more companies worked the way P'dox works, piracy would probably be halved.
Lets face it security on games is hacked into all the time anyway, far better to produce an enviroment where people WANT to support the devs.

Should be possible to back up the GG installers; just a matter of how much trouble you need to go through. The ones that don't download a plain .exe file will create a setup.exe while you are installing and delete it when complete; if you copy the file before the install finishes you can then install without using the GG downloader.

And there's always the option of simply burning the installed game to a CD; if you need to restore you can make your own shortcuts to the game .exe file and the registry is not used for anything except patching. Just make a new backup after installing any patch.

Well, the Paradox in house titles do not use registies, so you can juist copy the whole damn game folder and burn that or store it on a USB-stick, the game works like a charm even if you yust copy the folder someware. So for all Paradox in house titles (EU, HOI, Vicky, CK) you wouldnt need the instal files anyway.

Well, the Paradox in house titles do not use registies, so you can juist copy the whole damn game folder and burn that or store it on a USB-stick, the game works like a charm even if you yust copy the folder someware. So for all Paradox in house titles (EU, HOI, Vicky, CK) you wouldnt need the instal files anyway.

You'd need a registry entry for future expansions, though.

And there's always the option of simply burning the installed game to a CD; if you need to restore you can make your own shortcuts to the game .exe file and the registry is not used for anything except patching. Just make a new backup after installing any patch.

While we're on that subject--sorry to sound like a moron, but how exactly do you do that? Is it as simple as copying, and will the "installer" be saved properly as well? I know people do this all the time, I'm just an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

What if...

...after having purchased this game through gamersgate we could get a link to an iso? (as well the usual gamersgate executable). Maybe paradox could allow people to do this after sending an email to support asking for it?

Anyway it is quite disappointing to hear that there is not going to be a boxed copy. I am vehemently opposed to "online" distribution unless it simply involves an iso file which does not require "activation" or other such.

I am also positive that my first paragraph is wishful thinking; there is little chance that things can change so much at the last minute. It is absolutely striking how the "pirates" get a better distribution model than we, the paying customers. They only need to burn a CD and its go play! We get to activate our copies and enter long serials much of the time. Admittedly, gamersgate is one of the better online distribution systems, but alas you still can't burn your own copy and store it away... Oh well...