Question About Monarch's Journey Cosmetics

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Scrambles

Second Lieutenant
58 Badges
Apr 19, 2015
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
How will the items unlocked in Monarch's Journey be implemented in CK3? I know it's highly likely that with the addition of the barbershop the items will always be available for your ruler if you want them, but will they also be added to the pool of random items that all characters will wear from time to time?

I'm a guy that loves randomness in these games. I really appreciate how the engine makes the world feel alive by creating people whose features and styles I have no control over. I'd also want the clothes my character and courtiers wear to be as accurate as possible. I want my court jester to wear the jester's hat, a young squire to wear the page haircut, etc. And I don't want to be the one that has to go in and change their outfits manually as that would defeat the purpose of the characters dressing like they would on their own.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hi Scrambles,

You can equip the Monarch's Journey items in the barber shop as long as you are logged into your Paradox Account that unlocked them. The other players in a multiplayer game will also be able to see the unlocked items.

Bear in mind, despite a few important historical characters, the other characters are generated based on many criteria such as their roles, ranks & titles, etc. The rank of a character decides how fancy clothes and headgear they have access to. I think you should be satisfied with what we will be proposing :)

Edit: Regarding the MJ's items & base game / royal edition cosmetic items, I should be back shortly with an answer.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Also, for those of us that hate playing on Ironman even to win shinies...

How much is the Monarch's Journey Pack going to cost, and can we pre-order it with our Royal Edition Pre-Order?

• 3Like
Reactions:

How much is the Monarch's Journey Pack going to cost, and can we pre-order it with our Royal Edition Pre-Order?

Don’t forget that Monarch’s Journey requires Bronze mode (or some such thing) rather than Ironman. You can save and load and still unlock the MJ shinies!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Don’t forget that Monarch’s Journey requires Bronze mode (or some such thing) rather than Ironman. You can save and load and still unlock the MJ shinies!
I know. But... I like doing and playing weird things. The Monarch's Journey is probably awesome for 99% of people, but I just can't get into it.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:

I don't think you will be able to purchase the items gained from playing the Monarchs Journeys otherwise there would be no point in having them as unlockable content through the MJ's and they would just be a DLC. It would be a bit unfair to the people that spend the time unlocking them if they can just be purchased later on.

Edit: I should point out I haven't bothered trying to unlock them all.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@PDX-Nicou

Is there a time limit for obtaining the items from the Monarch's journey?
Will they always be available as a challenge?
I'm also curious about this. I've been taking a break from strategy games until CK3 comes out, but I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't boot up CK2 and try to get these all done so I don't lose the chance.

Reactions:
@PDX-Nicou

Is there a time limit for obtaining the items from the Monarch's journey?
Will they always be available as a challenge?
yeah, definetly curious on this; since CK games tend to take a long time, and i tend to rather play them in one go-through, rather than logging off and back on day after day; but with the recent pandemic in my area doubling warehouse workloads, ive not had time to play on weekends, and dont have a vacation until nearly november.

so hopefully they can be earned even post-release (unless buying the content pack *is* the plan post-release). if its not possible, ill still put out 5usd for the pack, but if i had the option id would rather earn them

Considering CK2 is free now, willing to bent they are unlock via achievement only. If they do eventually put them up for sale, it will be long after 90% of the population had moved away from CK2, and there wasn't any true cause to play it anymore.

Reactions:
Well other Paradox games have eventually released content that was originally pre-release bonuses only as paid dlc, so we’ll hopefully be getting it eventually.

• 2Like
Reactions:
My opinion is that these items should not be purchasable. We need pride and achievement feelings when we unlock them.

Also, there are many monarchs on journey right now. I did Konan, Mordechai, Konstantin, Louis, Pavao, Arwa and partialy Hethum and Shajar and I have unlocked everything already. Would be really cool if Paradox added a couple more rewards. Not a big deal for them and folks like free goodies.

Reactions:
My opinion is that these items should not be purchasable. We need pride and achievement feelings when we unlock them.

Also, there are many monarchs on journey right now. I did Konan, Mordechai, Konstantin, Louis, Pavao, Arwa and partialy Hethum and Shajar and I have unlocked everything already. Would be really cool if Paradox added a couple more rewards. Not a big deal for them and folks like free goodies.

Oh come on, this is a single player centric game and it's not like it's some big achievement. Monarch's Journey are mostly fun and a way to get people to try different areas and goals with an added bonus but if they don't want to participate I don't see why they shouldn't sell the cosmetics as a small pack too.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I have an additional question: Do we yet know what these items will look like ingame, or will we not know until September?

Reactions:
Hello there,

Sorry it took me some days to reply here as I was gathing as much details as possible beforehand.
I can confirm that these cosmetic rewards (earned from playing Monarch's Journey's challenges) will be available for free at a later date after launch.
Though, we want to keep the surprise and we won't unveil them before the release, we can't wait for you to discover them in-game! :D

• 10Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
I can confirm that these cosmetic rewards (earned from playing Monarch's Journey's challenges) will be available for free at a later date after launch.
WHAT?! I wasted all that time for basically nothing?! I want those hours of my life back!

...Oh, I'd just waste them anyway...

Edit from almost a year later: Wow, the thread announcing the Monarch's Journey stuff being added for everyone ACTUALLY HAD someone really pissed about it.

Last edited:
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Hello there,

Sorry it took me some days to reply here as I was gathing as much details as possible beforehand.
Though, we want to keep the surprise and we won't unveil them before the release, we can't wait for you to discover them in-game! :D

So it's broadly in line with the approach taken on Stellaris where some cosmetic stuff (I think race portraits) became available *some time down the line* after they'd been a reward for some publicity event.

I was a bit annoyed at the time because it'd been implied they were "exclusive" rewards, but I don't see there being too much of a problem provided there's a reasonable period where the people who unlocked them early (in effect) get access before everyone else does.

Reactions:
So it's broadly in line with the approach taken on Stellaris where some cosmetic stuff (I think race portraits) became available *some time down the line* after they'd been a reward for some publicity event.

I was a bit annoyed at the time because it'd been implied they were "exclusive" rewards, but I don't see there being too much of a problem provided there's a reasonable period where the people who unlocked them early (in effect) get access before everyone else does.

What if they put it on sale for -99.99% of the suggested price?

Reactions: