Question about Cities Skylines on PC

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

moonbinas

Recruit
Apr 21, 2023
I've spent alot of money and time on Cities: Skylines on PS4. I know nothing about PCs so I have some questions regarding switching. I would buy it pre-built, not make my own.
Is it worth buying a PC just for this game?
Roughly how much would I need to spend on a PC for this game?
What specs are ideal?
Can gaming laptops run Cities: Skylines, if so would that be a worthwhile, cheaper alternative?
Would I have to buy the game and all the DLCs I've bought all over again?

CS1 is heavy CPUcentristic, buy powerful single core, since it has not been optimized otherwize. Anyway required specs mostly comes against common practic of multithreading. Also yes, console account is sepereted from PC, dlc you need is AfterDark, Snowfall, Parklife, Industries, Sunset Harbor and just what mechanics from them you do need.

Last edited:
I've spent a lot of money and time on Cities: Skylines on PS4. I know nothing about PCs so I have some questions regarding switching. I would buy it pre-built, not make my own.
Is it worth buying a PC just for this game?
Roughly how much would I need to spend on a PC for this game?
What specs are ideal?
Can gaming laptops run Cities: Skylines, if so would that be a worthwhile, cheaper alternative?
Would I have to buy the game and all the DLCs I've bought all over again?

I think the bigger question, is if you want to buy CS1 now, when cs2 releases in about 3-months?

If you can find a fantastic deal, like when it was $20 for all DLC up to Airports.

I would recommend playing with base game ($9.00 USD), and experimenting with workshop.

But if you loved it on PS4, then buying a PC would be a better option for CS2 version of the game. You would likely need an minimum of an 8-P.core(16-thread) CPU for this game and CS2. This game needs 4-P.cores (8-threads) to max out CS1.

You would need at least 8GB VRAM for a GPU, to fully utilize workshop, 16GB or better would be optimal.

CS1 is heavy CPUcentristic, buy powerful single core, since it has not been optimized otherwize. Anyway required specs mostly comes against common practic of multithreading. Also yes, console account is sepereted from PC, dlc you need is AfterDark, Snowfall, Parklife, Industries, Sunset Harbor and just what mechanics from them you do need.

Actually, this game can fully utilize an 8-thread CPU. So the old i7 4-core/8-thread will handle all 8 threads simultaneously at 100%.

Try loading this benchmark city you can use for comparison (doesn't need DLC nor Workshop):