• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

remi-con

Recruit
12 Badges
Jun 16, 2017
  • Magicka
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
So, let me start off by saying I've never really been on any forum before in my life.

But basically, I recently discovered that AARs existed, and after reading a few stellaris ones, I wanted to try my hand at making one, and after reading up on all the rules and such, there's really one big thing that I feel wasn't explained very well to me, and that's uploading screenshots.

The rules and guidelines post said that we should upload it to a hosting site and link that if we want to include images, but it doesn't really go into much detail about what the process would entail. It basically just says "post them to imageshack or photobucket and host from there" but that doesn't explain to me at all how it's done. And to make matters worse, the example they have on that post is broken, and doesn't show an image (or emoji, i really can't tell what's supposed to be there since it just shows that little broken paper thing for when an image won't load) and the link for it goes to a page that doesn't exist anymore.

But then another rules thread says that, and i quote, "linking to graphics from a 3rd party site is to be discouraged, as it cuts into their bandwidth costs. Graphics should be hosted by yourself or through one of several free web-hosters." which just gives a bunch of mixed signals to me. You say to post to an image hosting site and then link to it for an image, but then say that linking to images from 3rd party sites is discouraged because it cuts into their bandwidth costs? Am i reading that correctly, because that seems to just... contradict itself. Also, how would I host a graphic myself? Would I just like, post to tumblr and link that or something like that?

And another thing, the thread that explains a lot of the rules doesn't even mention the fact that you can directly insert an image into a post through the ui at the top. Is there a reason it doesn't? Is that not allowed? I saw that someone else seemed to have asked the question about posting images and hosting, but everyone pretty much some variation of "just use photobucket," which doesn't explain anything to me, nor does it answer my question of if we're even allowed to use the "insert image" button at the top of the post box.

There is also yet another thread about posting images that seemed to start to answer my questions, but then contradicted itself to me very fast. It claimed that images attached to a post would always be at the bottom of the post no matter what, but once i reach the bottom, I see an attached image as an example, and while it's close to the bottom, there's still some text under it, implying that you can have the image not be at the bottom. Also, once again, while it give an example of an image embedded via image-hosting site, the image doesn't load at all, as if the source has been removed at some point. And the icing on the cake is that most of these threads are over 4 years old, one of them even being a decade old, so I don't even know if the info in them still applies, like what if some site changes have changed how the whole thing works?

Is there anyone who can give me an in depth explanation about how image sharing works at all? Like, the difference between just attaching the image and hosting it, how that works, what both options can and can't do? Even after looking around, I feel like I just got more questions than answers.

(side note, I tried to link to the threads I'd looked at for answers in the name of providing sources, but for some reason it got flagged as "spam and/or inappropriate content" and wouldn't let me post. I removed them and will try to add links to where I'd been looking around, but no promises on if it will let me post them.)

Threads that I read in hopes for answers are:

Welcome to the Stellaris AAR Forum - Rules and Guidelines
The fAARq - FAQ for AARland ( Screenshots/Graphics )
How to attach pictures
Question about images uploading

It won't let me post actual links, but those are the titles of the threads

A lot of this guidance was written a decade ago, when the internet environment was very different. Storage was more expensive, bandwidth was much more limited, and as a result there was more elaborate "netiquette" (read: community-developed standards of polite behaviour regarding posting on forums). Some of the features available now (like uploading images directly to the forum) were not available when these guidelines were written.

Imageshack and Photobucket were popular free image hosting sites a decade ago; something like Imgur, Google Photos or Imgbb would be a more contemporary example. Googling for "image hosting sites" will give you a wealth of options.

The basic procedure is to upload the photo to the hosting site, get the direct URL of the uploaded image, and paste that URL into the body of the forum message by using the "insert image" button (then selecting the "by URL" option) in the post editor. Pasting the URL alone (without using the button) isn't going to display the image; it will just put in the text hyperlink. Properly inserted third-party hosted images appear in-line (between your paragraphs of text) only, and not as attachments at the bottom.

If you want specifics about how to upload to an image host, and get the image URL, that is going to vary from site to site. There is no one-size-fits-all method that works on every image host. As an example, here are instructions for Imgur; for other sites, you will need to visit that specific site and review their help/FAQ documents for procedures.

You have the option to upload images directly to the forum; again by using the "insert image" button, but this time selecting the "upload image" option. Uploaded images will appear as small thumbnails at the bottom of the post.

The differences and pros / cons between forum-attached images and third-party hosted images are pretty well laid out in the How to attach pictures post, which you've already discovered.

The caution against "linking to graphics from a 3rd party site" is not a warning to avoid using an image hosting service. It's a caution against hot-linking images from sources that aren't image hosts. For example, blogs, museums, personal web pages, etc. This is a netiquette rule from the olden days when bandwidth was much slower and more expensive. An image hosting service expects to get a lot of requests for data every single day, and budgets accordingly. Grandma's art history blog doesn't; it's hosted on Jeb's Local ISP, and is only allotted a certain amount of bandwidth a month. When that is exceeded, she pays more—or her site goes off the air until the end of the billing period. That is why it is better to download the image and upload it to an image hosting service, than to simply hot-link it from the original site.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
This clears up a lot of information, thank you so much!

The only other question I have is about the insert image function. I know you said using it would result in a thumbnail, but it also seems to let me place said image inside the body of my post if I want to. So basically, using it would let me place the image in a post, but would also result in a bunch of thumbnails being attached to the bottom?

I know you said using it would result in a thumbnail, but it also seems to let me place said image inside the body of my post if I want to. So basically, using it would let me place the image in a post, but would also result in a bunch of thumbnails being attached to the bottom?

I was wrong. I just tested it on my previous reply, and direct-uploaded images appear in-line and are not visible to the reader as attachments at the bottom—though they are still visible to the author, in edit mode.

In a previous version of the forum, the attachments would have been visible, appended to the bottom of the post.

Ah, ok. Thank you for your help! It means a lot to me and helped clear up a ton of confusion!

Ah, ok. Thank you for your help! It means a lot to me and helped clear up a ton of confusion!

It is also possible to insert the image directly into the post using the insert image button in the menu you see just above where you write a post and have it show up in the main post itself at a normal size, or paste any image(s) that are in your clipboard. Since the format of my AAR means I want multiple images at the end of the post, what I do is insert the images into google documents and then select all of them, copy them, and then paste them into the post, thus directly pasting multiple images at regular size.

1604230938061.png