• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I kinda feel sorry for him too. :(

Goldfinger needs to calm down... meanwhile we need to find a new panelist, mmm? In any case I suggest William Jennings Bryan as a Ross-Perot-style guest.

Great updates... that Goldfinger will get his just deserts soon enough!! :rofl:

Things seem to be heating up as much in the studio as in the game itself! :) Goldfinger is definitely getting into his element. How long until the laser torture table comes out? ;)

Good idea to attack Tyrol, too bad there were too many Italians you had to hack your way through. Maybe better luck with your next army, eh?

poor de Loony.
he fought with what he had, too bad he didn´t have enough men and horses. And pikes. And bows. And crossbows. And swords. And machineguns.

Hajji Giray I said:
I kinda feel sorry for him too. :(

Goldfinger needs to calm down... meanwhile we need to find a new panelist, mmm? In any case I suggest William Jennings Bryan as a Ross-Perot-style guest.
No no. If we have to exchange Goldfinger Scrooge McDuck is the replacement

Conquering Italy from overseas, IMHO it's easier to work from the South. But, whatever floats your boat, as they say. :rofl: I'm playing a Venice GC now so I got secret pleasure at seeing the Italians send de Luna to an ignominious retreat. :) You've been at war for quite a while now -- any war exhaustion/revolt issues? Let's see what Goldfinger has to say about that! :p

Snake IV said:
No no. If we have to exchange Goldfinger Scrooge McDuck is the replacement

Agreed, he is as greedy as it is possible.

Fb-fb:

First off, thanks a ton to everyone for following and posting comments. I really and truly appreciate all of you stopping by and visiting, and letting me know that. I have another update ready to go when I get home from work (trying to post once a day now.) But for now, let's respond to some feedback.

BBBD - Thank you sir. Hope the floor was clean. ;)

Storey - Well, truth be told I didn't know what either Mantua or Milan had in Lombardia. I was going to sail over there and see and decided, well why not take de Luna with some troops in case it isn't heavily defended. Turns out Mantua was but Romagna was not. However once I had landed safely, I was then aware of 30,000 soldiers from Milan heading my way. I tried to retreat on to my waiting ships before they arrived but they still had a pretty good go at me, as did a Venetian force.

CatKnight - Well, I am pinning all of my mistakes on him, right now. Poor guy.

Hajji - William Jennings Bryan? Was he into gold?

SirCliveWolfe - He might say others would be getting theirs. ;)

Stuyvesant - Just wait. Not sure about the laser torture table (just yet at least) but we will be seeing more of Italia, I can assure you.

MAlexander06 - I can't help it. My life's goal is to make sure everyone else does as bad in college as I did. ;)

Deus - I am working on the gold. Before I begin exploration, or even annexing of it, I need to build a solid country that can withstand some setbacks when I am actively working on procuring the gold. Stay tuned, as Jackie might say.

Wolfhound - Some might say "spine" but not me. I put him in that situation. Let's call it a whim...a very costly whim.

Ciçatrix - Tim will wake eventually. But that certainly would do it.

J. Passepartout - I am glad everyone liked my nick for de Luna. It just seemed to fit given what seems his ineffective self in my game.

Duke of Wellington - Yes, Springer gets a little in the mix from time to time. Doing my best to spoof a lot of different types of talk shows and game shows. Not even sure why this thing is on ESPN. As for the pics - they are kind of important. Not sure why they won't show for you.

Is anyone else having this problem? They show just fine for me. However, there is usually a little commentary after each, so that gives you the idea of what I am showing. You don't have another computer you can try it on, do you?

Snake IV - I've considered Scrooge McDuck. We may see him yet.

jwolf - Very true about Italy. I really had not intended to do much for this war, considering it Aragon's problem while I dealt with matters closer to home. But it persisted and Aragon made peace leaving me to deal with a coalition that had not bothered me yet. You'll find over the course of the next few updates that Italy takes up a decent amount of my time during these years. It ends a little better than what has transpired so far.

As for war exhaustion, yes - it was getting up there by this point so I could not wait for a white peace to be signed after enough time had passed. That's why I got active in Italy. There are occasional revolts at home, but most are snuffed out without too much trouble.

Lurken (and Welllington again) - McDuck and Burns both might make it. Good suggestions.

I think I got everybody. Like I said - expect another update in about six hours or so. Until then, thanks so much for reading, enjoying and commenting!

I have to disagee with Goldfinger on this one. Taking Tyrol is one thing, holding on to it is not worth the trouble yet. Let alone the six BB you would get for annexing it. As for the replacement, bring in mr Burns.

Grundius said:
I have to disagee with Goldfinger on this one. Taking Tyrol is one thing, holding on to it is not worth the trouble yet. Let alone the six BB you would get for annexing it. As for the replacement, bring in mr Burns.
excellent

Fb-fb:

Duke of Wellington - That really is to bad about the pics. I really have no idea why they won't show for you, especially since you say photobucket works for you. Maybe it will clear up on its own. Let's hope so.

Grundius - You are most certainly right. I really didn't expect to get to Tyrol in that last war, but it made good "copy." Eventually, yes, but for now I was only hoping to get Mantua and set up next door. Alas, I was thwarted - at least so far.

Snake IV - I'll have to see if Burns and Smithers are available. Let me get my booker on the phone. ;)

Next update follows...

Quest: The Spanish Search For Gold

Gold1.jpg

Episode Va: A little bit of Milan, and a little bit of Venice...

Jackie Powers: Welcome once again everyone, as ESPN 8634 is proud to bring you another episode of “Quest!” Last time we were here, Juan II was still at war and Alvaro de Luna had done his fair share to mess things up. (walks over to the judge’s stand where Goldfinger has a cast on his left arm set at ninety degrees so it just misses hitting Tim the Leprechaun in the head when he turns, and King Midas is in a full body cast with an IV attached and set up behind him.) But as we left it, our own Auric Goldfinger was suggesting that de Luna try it again. So Goldfinger, explain this to us…why try the same thing twice when it didn’t work the first time?

Goldfinger: (unswayed by his injuries) You stupid, stupid man. What you would do in a situation like this…

King Midas: (trying his hardest to communicate through his bodycast) m mmmm mmmm mm mm…mm mmmmm mmm mm mmmm, mmm mm mmmmmm mm mmm mmmmm. mmmmm…(to Goldfinger) mmmmm…

Goldfinger: (visibly irritated, but restrained) Agree to disagree then, I suppose.

JP: Good to see the two of you getting along. Those courses must have worked. (winks at audience) Now let’s go to Tim the Leprechaun. Tim, what do you make of this de Luna character since you’ve been out of the loop a bit while all this has happened?

Tim the Leprechaun: I think he’s great, Alex. At first, I wondered if he were after me gold. But now I know he can’t find it to save his life. No fear losin’ it to him, not here.

Goldfinger: Oh…now we have another authority? And what in the hell do you know, little man?

Tim the Leprechaun: Don’t think you can silence me like ya done to poor Midas over there. I don’t push as easily, don’t ya know.

Goldfinger: Of course not…a bottle of booze and you’ll be out like a sack. (to the audience) No trouble with this one. (to Jackie Powers) Now can we get to the action? You’re soooo quick to lay blame on de Luna…why don’t you take a look at his next move?

JP: OK, Mr. Goldfinger. Let’s do just that. By April of 1451 our Constable has gathered his forces together and sailed for Italia again, but this time he chooses somewhere a little less in the thick of things.

deLunalandsinApulia.jpg

Alvaro de Luna lands his army in Apulia, currently owned by Milan

JP: Smart move, Goldfinger?

Goldfinger: You bet your boots it is. What really chaps my hide are those damn soldiers from Aragon just standing around and watching.

JP: Well, they had made peace with Milan.

Goldfinger: Don’t I know it. You have to wonder who the real enemy is around here!

JP: You don’t suggest…

Goldfinger: Fine! I have to say it? War after war these bastards keep getting Juan into, and what do they do every damn time? Bail out and leave Juan holding the bag. And it was their damn fight to begin with! It’s time we showed these Aragonese the price of their arrogance! Instead of fighting half way around the world, bring the boys home to do a number on those idiots next door!

JP: Strong words, Goldfinger. But that’s not our fight right now. Let’s see how things are progressing…

navalbattlesiegeofapulia.jpg

As de Luna besieges Apulia, the Castilian navy finds Venice a tough nut to crack at sea

JP: So Juan’s got a fight on his hands still.

Goldfinger: A few battles at sea…nothing…

King Midas: m mmm? m mmm? mmmm mmmmm mmm mmm mmmmmm? (trying his best to point at the big board) mmmm mmm?

Goldfinger: I think I liked it better when he could talk.

JP: He does point out something interesting, though. There were more than a few battles. Wasn’t the fleet forced to dock in Sicily…and with our supposed back stabbing allies?

Goldfinger: Oh sure, throw that out there. So they let us dock. So what? It’s the least they can do for getting us into this war. And so what if Venice held naval supremacy. All we needed to do was keep them busy while Alvaro cleaned up in Apulia. Once he held that, he’d have a good bargaining chip to use against the alliance.

JP: (to the audience) Meanwhile, at home, Juan II has a few problems to contend with. What’s this?

Uncooperativephilosopher.jpg

An uncooperative philosopher shows up to cause problems

JP : What is an uncooperative philosopher anyway? Isn’t that just a guy who refuses to think?

King Midas: mmmm mmmmm mm mmmm…

Goldfinger: Damn you, Midas…I’m trying hard to keep it together here. Don’t make me do this again!

King Midas: (head tilted down) mmmmm.

Goldfinger: That’s better. And you’ll notice that by imprisoning the philosopher, Juan gains some stability. Pretty good trade off if you ask me.

JP: Yes, Goldfinger. But it also moves his domestic policy to less innovative, meaning it will take longer to do research.

Goldfinger: Innovative? What the hell needs innovating? I think we’ve got a pretty good thing going on here already. Why break what isn’t broken, I ask you?

JP: That’s an interesting theory, Goldfinger…

Goldfinger: Besides. Let’s get back to de Luna. He’s doing pretty well over there now. (smiling)

JP: How then do you account for Naples declaring their independence in the middle of all of this? Just coincidence?

Goldfinger: (glaring at Jackie) What are you getting at?

JP: Well, I mean…there’s de Luna hanging around with a few soldiers from Aragon who claim they are just there to do some sight seeing. And then Naples shows up with Alfonso at the healm? The same Alfonso that just married his third cousin to de Luna’s neice? The same Alfonso that rules over your favorite…Aragon?

Goldfinger: Look here, Bond. I don’t know what you are driving at, but it’s pure hogwash! Any thought that the brave Constable plans on conspiring with the King of Aragon is simply…simply…

King Midas: mmmmm mm mmm mmmmm?

JP: Bingo, King Midas!

Goldfinger: This is just crazy. Alvaro is sitting in Apulia until November of 1452. He can’t have anything to do with the Naples revolt? Besides, what does he gain?

JP: Perhaps his own kingdom when Alfonso can’t get over there to clean things up?

Tim the Leprechaun: (to Goldfinger) He’s got a point, you know.

Goldfinger: I thought I told you…

JP: And then what explains his inexplicable offer to Venice of a white peace as soon as Apulia falls? Juan II wasn’t too happy about that.

Goldfinger: Well he…

JP: Rejected, of course. But then there is his delayed decision to take sail to Ionia to join in the siege by Portugal.

Goldfinger: He was going to…

JP: But he doesn’t make it on time and the city falls to the Portuguese. Meanwhile, Milan keeps demanding 75 ducats for peace even though de Luna holds Apulia? Something seems fishy here, Goldfinger. And it ain’t the fish.

Goldfinger: If you would allow me just a few moments to…

JP: And if that isn’t enough, he even sends an insulting letter to the Portuguese General leading the siege, thus dropping relations between the two countries, something Juan II was trying very hard to cultivate. I mean this guy sounds out of control.

Tim the Leprechaun: You know, it’s always the ones out of control that you have to keep watch of. Tricky buggers they are.

JP: You can say that again.

Tim the Leprechaun: You know, it’s always the ones…

JP: To top off this entire…well, let’s call it what it is…charade…de Luna accepts, I repeat he accepts, a peace proposal from Venice requiring Castile to pay 50 ducats for peace? And you want to tell me this guy is working for Juan II? Sounds like he’s working for someone else to me.

Goldfinger: (clearly angered and not just a little bit hurt) Who? Who might he possibly be working for, I ask you? He’s done nothing but do his duty his entire time in service. And every chance you people get…you just…you just…just…just…just cut him down. (almost near tears) Why can’t he just get a fair shake? (changing to bitter now) You never liked him. You, with all your needling questions. You never believed in him. No one did. Not you. Not Timmy here. (knocks Tim the Leprechaun in the head with his cast as he turns to point at him) Not Midas. And certainly not that new wife of Juan’s!

Goldfinger stands and begins to walk offstage, but stops just before the curtain.

Goldfinger: Well, you want have us to kick around anymore. (he storms out)

JP: Folks, he’s right about that. Take a look.

fallofAlvarodeLuna.jpg

Thanks mostly to Juan II’s new wife Isabel of Portugal, Alvaro de Luna is taken out of the picture. No more lost battles for him.

JP: Seems our man Alvaro just can’t catch a break. Imprisoned and executed, Alvaro de Luna ultimately does nothing to help our King Juan II find his gold. Pretty harsh treatment there, don’t you think King Midas?

King Midas: (looking off backstage) mm mm mmmmmm mmmm?

JP: No idea. How about you, Timmy?

Tim the Leprechaun: Where did this Timmy come from all the sudden? Do I look five to you?

JP: No, you sure don’t. (to audience) But on the other side of the break, we might find somebody who's a bit closer to that description. Stay with us, right here on ESPN 8677…

Last edited: