• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That does sound like an interesting idea, Etzel. Let me know if you do it!

Riccardo, you should put together an Inkwell entry. To the best of my knowledge you don't have one -- I looked, and didn't find one in the index. It's a great place to showcase all of your AARs, and people can find them if they want. Plus, you get to take time to explain what each one is, which there's not room for in the signature.

Looking forward to the next update -- glad you're staying engaged with this. You've got a great style!

Renss

Liking the AAR so far! I got Sengoku with MotE and haven't touched it (either one, really; been very busy!) What do you think of Sengoku?

Caught up with this now, I find your writing style very easy to follow, and love the mix of artwork and screenshots in the most recent update.

I also got Sengoku with the March of the Eagles pre-order and haven't yet had a chance to play it, but I'm liking what I see from this AAR.

I've had Sengoku for a while, and I think it's pretty darn good (maybe a bit sparse detail-wise, but I get by).

I'm glad you like it thus far, sir Seelmeister!

I had the Vae Victus expansion, sir Etzel of Hoveri, which makes the game fantastically better.

Oh that makes sense now. Though I am a little upset with the prices for it. I mean seriously?

Rome Original - 9.95
Rome VV - 9.99
Rome Gold - 9.95

So if I already own the original I have to pay an extra 4 cents for the expansion unless I buy Gold instead to repurchase a part of the game I already own.

So I broke down and bought it.

However when I start the game when it gets to 'Initializing Maplogic' it brings up a popup that says;

"File Exception
Exception in: .\discfile.cpp, line:425
Description: Could not open file:"

After I get rid of that then I get another popup that reads;

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program; C: \Program Files (x86)..."

Any ideas on what is wrong with this? I can't ask on this website because I no longer have the CD Key for the original Rome and even though I could put in the VV cd key it didn't allow me to access the technical support section since I don't have the cd key for the original.

I posted your query in the Rome Tech Help thread. Looks like AndrewT is doing a good job keeping people on track over there. Was this a Steam or Gamersgate purchase? Download? One thing he recommends is re-downloading it (deleting and re-downloading), if that's possible.

Rensslaer

If I knew how anything about tech-stuffs, I'd offer assistance. Sadly though, I can be of no help :( However, the lovely demi-mods could be, as could tech support for Rome, possibly :)

Also, pictures will be coming later tonight or tomorrow, depending on how soon I finish a paper and is I'm in the mood to fool around with Paint and scour the interwebz for pictures.

Chapter IV: Of Courts and Conquest​

With the conquest of Ashikita, Kiyoshi looked to the east; Hata Akira, leader of his clan and lord of Kishima, had been engaged in a war with the Harada clan for the past several years, and it was likely that his luck would fail him; not wanting the Harada to gain even more control of Hizen, Kiyoshi declared war on the Hata only days after his last had ended. Yoritada and his five hundred men reached Kishima first, and began laying siege to the Castle on 25th of July (Kiyoshi’s forces arrived three days later). After a breach was made in late August, the first assault on Kishima Castle was launched.

Lord of Kishima (formerly)

The assault lasted from the fifth to the sixth of September, and cost the lives of almost one hundred Matsura troops; however, all but the keep itself had been taken, and the Hata garrison would not last much longer. Giving his men a month of rest, the second, and final, assault was made on October Thirtieth, with the entire garrison being slaughtered at a low cost to Kiyoshi and his army.

The following week, Kioyshi, Yoritada, and their three thousand man force, began marching towards the land of Matsura, coincidentally owned by the Harada; from there, they planned to sail across the strait and capture Goto.

However, on the 12th of November, the Shuin clan, led by the arbitrary and deceitful Yasukane, declared war, forcing Kiyoshi and his men to march southwards; on the23rd of January, 1200, the siege of Taki castle began. With no sign of opposition from the Shuin, the siege went quickly, and Kiyoshi began planning his next moves.

Whilst the wooden walls of Taki Castle were being torn down, the walls of Sunao Castle and the key towns of Takaku were finished, and Yoritada’s agents headed south to aid in the siege; shortly thereafter the lumber mill in Nagasaki was finished, and Kakomu was sent to build a smithy in Sonooki.

On the 21st of October, Taki Castle fell, right as Yasukane began a half-hearted siege of Ashikita. Kiyoshi quickly marched north, embarked his troops, and landed on south of the castle on the 22nd of November, where he and 3,500 men fought against the 2,750 man Shuin army; Kiyoshi’s better grasp of tactics, his army’s experience, and sheer numerical superiority won the day, with the Matsura losing 1,375 men to Yasukane’s 2077.

With no real Shuin force left to oppose him, the siege of Satsuma began on the 3rd of January, 1201, and after a quiet siege, fell in September. The following month, Kagoshima was besieged and met the same fate as Satsuma castle on the 12th of April, 1202; the Shuin were crushed.

Now a powerful landowner, worthy of recognition, Kiyoshi petitioned the Emperor for the rank of Jugoi Ge, the same day Akira’s first daughter Kaji, was born (22 June, 1202).

Whilst he was waiting for the Emperor’s reply, Kiyoshi realised that he held almost enough land to declare himself Daimyo of Satsuma; as such, he declared war on the Satsuma-Taira on the 31st of July, 1202. On the 7th of April, the siege of Aki ended, and Kiyoshi was declared Daimyo of Satsuma; he held many banquets celebrating this and soon gained a reputation for generosity. The following week, the Emperor formally granted the position of Jugoi Ge to Kiyoshi, and he was granted his first bureaucratic position, which he worked at loyally, if not particularly effectively.

Another former leader that was deposed

Kiyoshi, flushed with success, offered peace to Tadazumi, leader of the Satsuma-Taira, which he agreed to only after his small army was crushed at Kagoshima in mid-August.

Kyushu after a spree on conquests; the island was consolidated by the five families. Note that the Kusano and Ogata are at war.

Last edited:
So what does the Emperor think of Kiyoshi's adventurism, and his method of "application" for the job? :) Also, what does this Jugoi Ge job involve? Daimyo is basically a warlord position, yes?

I suppose the Emperor, at certain periods, didn't probably feel like he had alot of control over the process, and might tend to rubber stamp things, yes?

Great work!

Also, remember that you are due to pass on your Showcase award to another, sometime Sunday.

Looking forward to seeing the screenshots that go with this, when you can!

Rensslaer

Well, there's a few pictures up! :D

I don't think the Emperor cares, really; he has to put up with the Taira complaining that they don't rule enough of Japan on a daily basis. So when a little ole' warmonger like me asks for something, he blindly accepts it.

I actually have no idea what Jugoi Ge is; it gives me honour, and I want it! And Daimyo is a title you get when you control all the provinces in a region, hence my "invasion" of the Satsuma-Taira.

Another good update. I look forward to the next.

Also curious to see who you choose as your replacement for the weekly aar.

So what does the Emperor think of Kiyoshi's adventurism, and his method of "application" for the job? :) Also, what does this Jugoi Ge job involve? Daimyo is basically a warlord position, yes?

I actually have no idea what Jugoi Ge is; it gives me honour, and I want it! And Daimyo is a title you get when you control all the provinces in a region, hence my "invasion" of the Satsuma-Taira.

These comments made me to write a ton of descriptions in my mod. :D

But here is a wiki page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritsuryō

Seems like you're setting up a nice powerbase in Kyushu. Better subjugate those lesser clans before they finish their own wars and gang up on you.

Any news from the rest of Japan?

Well, the Fujiwara and Minamoto are fighting each other; since they're two of the biggest clans, that's something.

Also, I haven't died or abandoned this game; it's on a brief hiatus whilst I work on a few school papers (and get engulfed in forum games and interactive AARs). As bit of consolation, here's a slightly dated map of the chaos that is 13th Century Japan.

Well, the Fujiwara and Minamoto are fighting each other; since they're two of the biggest clans, that's something.

Yeah, the two biggest kids on the block! Good thing they're still way up north -- that allows you to build your powerbase before having to face them.

Looking forward to your return!

Rensslaer