• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nomen Nescio

Corporal
33 Badges
Jan 14, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
I'm a pretty experienced player (over 3000 hours) and in most of my games aim for world conquest, but rarely reach the endgame because I have to start keeping notes about many things and eventually just give up. I hereby propose some stuff (more posts to follow) that will increase playability by reducing the number of things to keep track of and the amount of clicks that have to be done again and again to make things work and keep your country's efficiency up. And keep it fun! Starting with alerts and pop-ups. I have to make this into a list or it would result in a ton of separate posts, still it would be appreciated if you'd upvote this post if you agree with some/most!

- an alert for the option to claim throne. Getting a country as PU minor can be a total game changer, especially if these are countries with an extensive mission tree, which there are more and more of. This could be made easier by for example making the 'Disputed Succession' alert red when the player can claim a throne, yellow when you can establish a marriage that will result in you being able to claim a throne.

- related, a pop-up when another country adopts the player's dynasty

- have the 'outstanding loans' alert turn green once the player can pay at least one off

- have the 'provincial unrest' alert turn red once a province has more than 10 unrest

- have an alert for the player being able to change rival

- have an alert for being able to change national focus to a different type of monarch power

- have an alert for having more than 100 church power when protestant

- have an alert for being able to seize land from estates; yellow when this will lead to one becoming disloyal (<30% loyalty) and green when this gives no loyalty problems

- have an alert for being able to take on a new estate mission / summon the diet

- have an alert for a conquistador being idle, like already exists for an idle explorer

- alert for being able to pay for next tech should turn green once the years ahead penalty is gone

- alert when a 25-year claim almost runs out, could be done by changing the 'uncontested claims' alert yellow

- alert when you can invest papal influence towards the curia

- alert for when a papal benefit (like 'proclaim holy war' or 'levy church taxes') almost runs out; end date of benefit should be shown here and when mousing over it in the Holy See screen

- when (accidentally) trying to break off subject integration in progress, or a PU minor, sirens and lights should show and ask if this is REALLY what you want. I have accidentally right clicked an integrating diplomat a few times, losing all my progress. This needs a special pop-up!

- a special alert for military access being active. I have often that I forget to cancel access, thus being over max diplo relations which costs diplo power

- pop-up when a certain decision will turn a mission from 'being able to take' to not. In my current England run, I fought France for the PU over them. I had sieged down Paris but forgot to click the mission that became fulfill-able. I peaced out and got the PU, but now the mission reverted to being unfulfill-able, so I have to wait until I integrate France to fulfill the mission

- alert when a colonist is not doing anything

Some of these may have been fixed, as some are suggestions I wrote down years ago. Still, most seem to still be valid. Reactions and additions are appreciated!

• 11Like
Reactions:
I said it on Reddit I'll say it again here - this is a fantastic list, with many color changing ones being minimal and very handy.

• 3Like
Reactions:
This is a very solid list!

- alert when a colonist is not doing anything
To solve this problem I'd like a message when a diplomat/colonist returns home and is available to send out. I could popup and pause some games, or have it in the alerts section for others.

- alert when a 25-year claim almost runs out, could be done by changing the 'uncontested claims' alert yellow
Something like this would also be good for when truces are about to expire. A different coloured alert (and with the exact date not just month/year) would help me get my diplomats back home/redeploy my forces/reinforce my forts/stop my generals drilling.

I also have an unrelated interface suggestion - I'd like a yellow alert when you have 1-2 nations that could form a coalition against you. It should go red when it gets to 3.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Those are great suggestions, particularly the ones about estates. Too many times I completely forgot about revoking privileges and getting high crownland during the age of absolutism.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Good list!

I'd like an alert when one of your armies or navies off-screen is nearby a hostile army/navy. Keeping constant tabs on which one of your 10-30 armies around the globe is about to get crushed or stackwiped by an easily avoidable enemy takes up too much time.