• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fiftypence

Debased coinage
35 Badges
Aug 19, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
Qara Koyunlu​
Tales of the Black Sheep​

qar1.jpg

The lands of the Black Sheep (green), with neighbouring Timurids (red), Georgians (blue) and Mongols (gold)

The Qara Koyunlu are a tribal federation of semi-nomadic Turkomen, who after spending some time in the east near Herat, migrated to the lands of Azerbaijan, whereupon we became vassals of the Jalayrids of Baghdad. Thankfully we had a powerful strong leader called Qara Yusuf, who captured the city of Tabriz and secured our independence, and we now rule from the Caspian port of Baku. We follow the Shi'ite faith, which despite its name is really awesome, and are still ruled by the magnificent Qara Yusuf, which is great because that happens to be me. Hello.

qar11.jpg

Here are the “great men” of my court. Excuse the quote marks, but let’s just say I only keep them around for decoration. Our court artist, Zaydin Behar, insists that Qara Koyunlu, the Black Sheep, should appear as green on the maps he draws. The nincompoop. I would have him executed but that would probably just end up costing money.

qar10.jpg

I decree that we should be more centralised, so that I can have more power. I like power. We have also implemented a policy of “national” conscription, which means more cannon fodder for our armies...hmm actually I don't know what a cannon is, but it sounds cool and I want one.

The year is, as you may have guessed, 1399, and war rages all around us. The vast Timurid Empire is fighting a war against both Georgia and the Ottoman Empire, but for the time being the Black Sheep remain at peace. This is lucky, as not one of our cities maintains a fortification, not even Baku. Our army is paltry.

qar2.jpg

But we have the funds to recruit more sheep, and I decide to pick on my smallest, weakest neighbour...

...the Timurid Empire.

Haha, no I kid. Of course I mean Georgia. Although the rich and unfortified trading centre of Astrakhan lies just across the border with the Golden Horde, we have also heard that there is gold in the mountains of Alania, and so preparations are made to invade Georgia, the province of Alania and maybe some loot being my goal. The Timurids already have a force inside Georgia, so we must be swift! On November 25th of the year those strange Christians call 1399, war is declared.

qar9.jpg

Invading Georgia. It's what all the cool kids are doing.

The "war" turns out to be very simple. On 21st December, our glorious federation occupies the gold mines of Alania facing no resistance whatsoever. It is assumed that we have caught the Georgians off-guard, and that they're army is currently in the south fighting the Timurids. We paint a picture commemorating this glorious victory with the use of some rather fetching green stripes. They should be black, but our artist likes green apparently.

qar4.jpg

It is obvious to the Georgians that we have completely overwhelmed them, and we are offered the lands of Alania for peace. We would quite like some loot to go along with it, but since the gold of Alania will pay for itself, the deal is accepted.

qar5.jpg
Well, here is where I take a little rest. I, Qara Yusuf, Khagan of the Black Sheep, needs his beauty sleep. But I shall soon return with more details of my glorious reign, but for the time being, in the words of an ancient and wise philosopher:

Black Sheep Forever!​

Hell yeah.

Qara Koyunlu is going to take some work! Let's hope the Timurids don't end up taking everything for themselves. LOL @ the "great men" and good luck on your further endeavours!

Subscribed!

It's what all the cool kids are doing.

:p

I like the style. I will be reading this AAR! :D

English Patriot: I'm hoping that rebels will do their part in bringing the Timurids down to earth, leaving the Black Sheep to pick up the scraps!

Duke of Wellington: Thank you for reading. :)

EUROO7: Haha, thanks. That is purely a reference to the Timurids of course, who are also invading Georgia. Nothing else. :D

Zimfan: In this case they did absolutely nothing to try and keep it. They offered Alania almost as soon as I took it.

Btw, this is played using IN 3.0 of course, with all the setting on the default. I've played up to 1412 so far, and things seem to be going ok. I suppose my ultimate goal is form Persia, but that might not be so easy...

Fiftypence said:
Zimfan: In this case they did absolutely nothing to try and keep it. They offered Alania almost as soon as I took it.

Perhaps they just figured they should accept the inevitable. :)

Fiftypence said:
EUROO7: Haha, thanks. That is purely a reference to the Timurids of course, who are also invading Georgia. Nothing else. :D
Of course! Your smallest and weakest neighbor! :D

Qara Koyunlu​
Black Sheep Boogie​

qar12.jpg

Our new province of Alania has a rather large production income, which is great. I'm hoping that there will be some tax income. The main problem with this rich land is that it's not filled with awesome Shi'ites, but rather shite heathens. This is clearly not acceptable.

qar13.jpg

Missionaries are good for two things. One is converting people into awesome Shi'ites. I'll leave the other to your imagination. I am hopeful that the people of Alania are fast learners, as this dude is costing me 0.4 ducats per month, which is a lot of money for the Black Sheep!

qar14.jpg

The Timurids get medieval on Georgia's ass, leaving them with only their capital province. I almost feel sorry for them. But it would not be proper for I, the magnificent Qara Yusuf, to feel pity for dirty heathens. But still, poor Georgia...um, never mind. Despite their victory, our big red southern neighbours remain at war with Ottoman Empire, and are continually plagued by revolts.

qar15.jpg

Alania becomes awesome, in record time! Clearly the Alans were most receptive to our missionary! I think this calls for a celebration involving dancing and music and sheep and...er, never mind.

qar16.jpg

Here is a map of the religions in the region inhabited by the glorious Black Sheep Kaganate, painted by our court "artist" Zaydin Behar. The man sure loves green. But anyway, it has come to my attention that awesome Shi'ites are being repressed by gloomy Sunnis in the Timurid Empire, which is clearly not a state of affairs that I, the fabulous Qara Yusuf, am willing to tolerate.

But they have a big scary army, so I decide to wait and see what happens.

qar17.jpg

Oh, er, thanks. Appreciate it. I like the whole gold thing you guys have going on, and hordes are really cool. Much <3, Qara Yusuf.

qar19.jpg

Meanwhile, Georgian patriot rebels led by a man with an unpronouncable name invade from Timurid Georgia, and give the Black Sheep army something to do on those long, lonely days at the frontier. I gather that those Georgians really don't like it up 'em, unlike...er, never mind.

qar20.jpg

Meanwhile, the Ottomans have been giving the Timurids a sound beating, and the subsequent peace deal means that we have a new neighbour. I hope they're friendly...

Zimfan: It seems that way. The Timurids had just given their army a severe whacking, so that may have had something to do with it.

EUROO7: Yep, of course. :D

Black Sheep Green Awesomeness Shi'ite FTW! :D

Wow, it's not taking long for the Timurids to start losing :D

Excellent, the innuendo is well tuned.

Oh, er, thanks. Appreciate it. I like the whole gold thing you guys have going on, and hordes are really cool. Much <3, Qara Yusuf.

:rofl:

That's rich. Gold is really nice. And hordes are cool! :D

I think that you should avenge that revolt to Georgia, before someone else does that. One province Orthodox minor in the middle of the Muslims can't last long.

Qara Koyunlu​
Doing it for the lulz​

qar22.jpg

Wow, a guarantee of independence from an empire that can barely keep itself together, let alone protect it's neighbours! I laugh at you, Timurids! <3 Qara Yusuf.

qar23.jpg

Meanwhile, the Ottomans prove just as useless as the Timurids at oppressing Georgians, allowing them to take Imereti and head over to Alania. I already told you to shoo Malkhazi Karalashvili, we don't want your wares!

qar25.jpg

The bourgeoisie request privileges. I confess that I, the mighty Qara Yusuf, don't know what a bourgeoisie is and my first instinct is to kill it. Zaydan Behir persuades me that accepting the requests would be better, so I do. However, I remain suspicious. Very suspicious.

qar26.jpg

I recieve some interesting news from my southern neighbours. It appears that war has broken out on my doorstep, and Persians are invading the Timurids as we speak. I am aware that the Persians are awesome Shi'ites and the Timurids are gloomy Sunnis, so I should support Persia in their quest to rid their land of their wrong-religion overlords. Instead, I do this:

qar27.jpg

My advisors are horrified when I suggest that we invade Persia, and our scouts report that their army is over 9,000. This is nonsense, of course, and look at all those nice undefended provinces! My goals are to take control of two of the largest cities of Persia, Teheran and Isfahan, these being in Ajam and Fars provinces respectively.

qar28.jpg

Hey Persia. I'm in your country...​
qar29.jpg

Taking your provinces.​
qar30.jpg

I can has CoT?

The Persian campaign is a complete success, as Persia remain at war with the Timurids and most of their army is stuck somewhere in their vast revolting empire. I gain the provinces of Ajam and Fars, and the whole world must now fear the might and glory of the Black Sheep, and their amazing leader Qara Yusuf.

A look at our two new provinces.

qar31.jpg

qar32.jpg

brb

Last edited:
Murmurandus: Hell yeah!

English Patriot: Nope. They're doing especially badly in this game, that's the first time I've seen them lose territory to the Ottomans!

Delex: Ah, but remember the Timurids still have that big scary army. I decided to hit the Timurids in a more indirect manner.

Lord Strange: Thanks for reading. :)

Colonel Bran: I had a cunning plan concerning that. I can tell you now it didn't work. :(

Duke of Wellington: There doesn't seem to be that much antagonism between Shia and Sunni in this game, certainly not as much as in EU2. The Ottomans actually seem quite friendly.

EUROO7: Haha yeah they are!

Olaus Petrus: It was tempting, but by the time the truce expired they regained Georgia province through defection. I think I'm just going to leave them be for the time being.