• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looking forward to seeing how this quarter finished up - may provide some good tips for Christmas reading! :)

Well it’s now well past the deadline day. Is anyone going to announce the winners?

Well it’s now well past the deadline day. Is anyone going to announce the winners?
@loup99 - who runs this generally - mentioned elsewhere he has been quite busy with end-of-year stuff. I am sure as soon as his schedule un-snarls sufficiently he will tally things up and whatnot.

Results
Announcing our Q3 2017 ACA winners!

Starting by Europa Universalis IV, for which 14 different AARs were nominated. The winners are the following:
1st: Entering the First Court: Kanem Bornu, by @stnylan with 8 votes
Joint 2nd: Europa: In the Age of the Fourth Race of Kings, by @volksmarschall and One Empire to rule them all - A Brandenburg into Prussia into German Empire AAR, by @Tom D. with 4 votes each
Joint 3rd: The TTTUNA (Tales of Torrid Tunisian Nights Aar), by @fabiolundiense, Italian Ambitions: A Florence AAR, by @JerseyGiants88, From Bulwark to Liberator, An EU4 Hungary AAR, by @EderNimrais and «From Augustus the Caesar…» — The Tale of the Tsars, by @Khanconette with 3 votes each
Joint 4th: Ein Freies Volk - A Dithmarschen AAR, by @Firehound15, You shall not core! (a friendly France fAARce of an AAR), by @Silverbow and WWJD - A Knights EU4 AAR, by @Vexillum Rutila with 2 votes each

Moving on to Crusader Kings II, for which 24 different AARs were nominated. The winners are the following:
1st: The Bold Prince, by @coz1 with 9 votes
2nd: Road of Queens - CKII India AAR, by @Eurasia with 7 votes
Joint 3rd: Before Plantagenet – A House d’Anjou AAR, by @JabberJock14, Valyrian Steel: A Game of Thrones Mod AAR, by @Henry v. Keiper, The Wolves of Westseaxna-a tale of Wessex, by @Asantahene and Blut und Schlacht (Blood and Battle): A Learner’s Saga, by @Bullfilter with 5 votes each
Joint 4th: Whiteshirts of England: A History of the Hvitserk Dynasty of Jorvik AAR, by @tpmcinty and Ƕar Baris Standiþ — A Hypothetical East Germanic AAR, by @A Yorks with 3 votes each

The third category is the one of Victoria 2, for which 12 different AARs were nominated. The winners are the following:
Joint 1st: L'Empereur est mort: A French AAR, by @RossN and Forza Italia!, by @Jape with 5 votes each
Joint 2nd: A VictoriAARn Education - Learning Victoria II with Sweden, by @stnylan and The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Fallen Phoenix - A Roman Reich Megacampaign in New World Order, by @zenphoenix with 3 votes each
Joint 3rd: Empire for Liberty: America in the Long Nineteenth Century, by @volksmarschall and A Pleasant Empire ( A Hawaiian AAR), by @Antiboyscout with 2 votes each
All other nominees received one vote each and thus ended up on a joint fourth place!

Continuing on to Hearts of Iron IV, for which 9 different AARs were nominated. The winners are the following:
1st: Advance Britannia! - A Kaiserreich Restored United Kingdom AAR, by @George_VI with 4 votes
Joint 2nd: Hindsight 20/20: a Dutch narrative AAR, by @J_Master and A Fair Deal For America: A Kaiserreich AAR, by @Bored Student1414 with 3 votes each
Joint 3rd: A Better World is Coming - KR CSA, by @vyshan, The Sleeping Giant Awakens: A USA Kaiserreich AAR, by @History_Buff, Bastion of Democracy - A Belgium AAR, by @Tom D. and Cripple & Collapse: Green Alert - KR Transamur AAR, by @Emperor Ike with 2 votes each
Here too, all other nominees received one vote each and therefore ended up on a joint fourth place!

The next game is Stellaris, for which 8 different AARs were nominated. The winners are the following:
1st: The Bayvor Hive: Project Soul Search AAR, by @CamCam2265 with 3 votes
Joint 2nd: The First Century: A United Nations Stellaris AAR, by @cookfl, Republic of Sol, by @Nikolai, The Children of the Sath'ka: A History of the Tor'van, by @jasondroth24 and Stellaris: The Jeremiad, by @volksmarschall with 2 votes each
All other nominees in this category having received one vote, they share the joint third place!

Finally the last category in the AARland Choice Awards for this quarter, the one aptly named Other covering all other Paradox Development Studio games, for which 11 AARs from both Darkest Hour and Hearts of Iron III were nominated. The winners are the following:
1st: “U-boats for Uruguay” a short TFH farce, by @markkur with 7 votes
Joint 2nd: Odin' and Stalin's Secret Committee, by @roverS3, Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936, by @Bullfilter and Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44, by @El Pip with 4 votes each
3rd: Early to War: 1936 Germany With Itchy Trigger Fingers (HPP), by @Rensslaer with 3 votes
4th: Fear God, Honour the King. Canada/British Commonwealth Kaiserreich AAR, by @oberstbrooksy with 2 votes

With that said, this round of the ACAs is finished. It has been a pleasure to host them as always and I look forward to seeing you next time when it will be time for the AARland Choice Awards for Q4 2017 in the beginning of the next year. Thank you all for participating in this vote, it both allows to give some recognition to all the authors present on this board and to keep this general discussions section alive with activity. Special thanks to @Nuada Airgetlám who verified vote counts and to all the countless others who animate this general board on a daily basis. Lastly, I naturally want to give my hearty congratulations to all AARs that were nominated!

- Loup, current host of the ACAs

Last edited:
Thank you @loup99 for running these and doing all the work that it requires! It is effort like this that keeps these boards so active and fun. :)

I would also like to thank all those that voted for my work. It means quite a lot because CK2 is so very active and there are a huge amount of great works to choose from. Any one of them is the equal to my efforts and deserves as much if not more recognition. I thank you as I am certain all of those other writers do as well.

Congratulations to all writers and works mentioned. I believe we all hope this has served you well to gain some eyes and as loup states, that this project helps keep AARland alive and thriving! Well done, all! :D

Congrats to all the winners, and a big thank you to all who voted, both for me and in general! :)

And a big thank you to @loup99 for doing this amazing work!

@loup99 I know this is a lot of work and will say of all that participated, you deserve the loudest applause.

Your efforts make this happen for all of us...again, thank you very much.

Though I feel like a thieving-spy for some reason, ;) I want to thank all who took time out of their days, helped me along and followed my zany-fun. Knowing the high-quality and the time invested in so many AAR-sections, (whew!) not least, the excellent Epics inside HoI3. I was surprised El Gato Negro, Pluma and Fan crept their way into...any visibility. My sincere thanks to all.

Make it Great!

Very many thanks to @loup99 for organising this, for everyone who nominated AARs.

A sincere thank you to @loup99 for organising this and a big thank you too for those of you who voted for one of my AARs, it's great to know my work is being appreciated. And thanks to all other people who took the time to vote, let's keep AARland a warm place in the cold months to come!

Congratulations to all the winners and all of the nominated as well. Also, a great thank you to @loup99 for hosting the ACAs again and to everyone who used some of their time to both read and nominate AARs!:)

Though I feel like a thieving-spy for some reason, ;) I want to thank all who took time out of their days, helped me along and followed my zany-fun. Knowing the high-quality and the time invested in so many AAR-sections, (whew!) not least, the excellent Epics inside HoI3. I was surprised El Gato Negro, Pluma and Fan crept their way into...any visibility. My sincere thanks to all.

Make it Great!

I really need to catch up and see what happened to your characters! Hopefully this recognition doesn't reveal their existence to someone who shouldn't know of it...;)

I really need to catch up and see what happened to your characters! Hopefully this recognition doesn't reveal their existence to someone who shouldn't know of it...;)
I was lucky...I think readers needed a chuckle here and there and the farce provided.:)

Congratulations to all!

I was lucky...I think readers needed a chuckle here and there and the farce provided.:)

It has indeed provided me quite a few chuckles already, and then there are more pages to read.:)

A very many thanks to @loup99 for organising this, and to everybody who voted. Congratulations to all the other contestants, it's been fun!

Congratulations to all winners, also good work to @loup99 for getting the results out before Q4 finished as that could have been awkward. #

I also remain delighted that the HOI3 nominees in 'Other' continues to attract more votes than HOI4 and Stellaris, the voting public continue to show taste and discernment despite the misleading award categories available.

I also remain delighted that the HOI3 nominees in 'Other' continues to attract more votes than HOI4 and Stellaris, the voting public continue to show taste and discernment despite the misleading award categories available.
The ACA categories are based upon the latest games released, with the forums with the most activity being those that have their own categories, and the others in a combined category to give them the attention they deserve while not having some categories that would only receive one or two nominations. If we were to split up the "other" category today, it would probably penalise it more than anything else, as HoI3 and DH on their own attract less votes than HOI4 and Stellaris on their own. At the very least that is my personal analysis, and it does tend to vary slightly from quarter to quarter. Furthermore, if any of the "other" games developed by PDS start to get a lot of votes, it would naturally get a dedicated category.

All in all, I'm of course open to feedback and will keep this concern in mind: feel free to mention more of them here or open a separate thread on the matter. This awAARd is by no means mine: it belongs to the AARland who has the final say on everything, so if the categories are seen as misleading there is a problem.

First of all, a great thanks to Loup for organizing the awards as well as to all those who have shown support for Ein Freies Volk by voting for it here. It's not dead, I'm just busy. (That's what I tell myself, at least...)

Setting that aside, could it be worthwhile in the future to also have awards for AAR-styles? For instance, best narrative award, best history book, etc.? I feel this would give some more attention to what are sometimes less-read formats and avoid only having to compare apples to oranges.

Setting that aside, could it be worthwhile in the future to also have awards for AAR-styles? For instance, best narrative award, best history book, etc.? I feel this would give some more attention to what are sometimes less-read formats and avoid only having to compare apples to oranges.

I believe you are getting at something like what the year-enders used to be, but you want them to be quarterly instead/as well, am I right to assume that?

If I recall correctly, @Nuada Airgetlám intended to host the year-enders last year, but was absent for quite a while (which I have full understanding for) and so they never happened. Are there any plans to attempt it anew this year?:)

I believe you are getting at something like what the year-enders used to be, but you want them to be quarterly instead/as well, am I right to assume that?

If I recall correctly, @Nuada Airgetlám intended to host the year-enders last year, but was absent for quite a while (which I have full understanding for) and so they never happened. Are there any plans to attempt it anew this year?:)

Yeah, more-or-less. Every other quarter could probably work as well, but I think once a year is just too infrequent to get the job done.