• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Vote

loup99

Godogost of Armorica
84 Badges
Jan 22, 2013
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • 500k Club
  • Pride of Nations
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Cities: Skylines
April has begun, and with it the second quarter of the year. The YAYA’s have also just been concluded and I wish a happy Easter to all of those who celebrate it. With that said, I'm not bringing you any April Fools Joke today, as tempting as it may be, but rather another round of the traditional ACAs, this time for the first quarter of 2018. As has been the tradition for the latest years, all voting will once again remain centralised to this single thread, following the quarterly rhythm. I encourage that you post about the ACAs in your AARs and your signatures to spread the word and get a high participation.

Voting will start now and end in five weeks (see the date below). All AARs updated between January 1st 2018 and March 31st 2018 (inclusive) are eligible for nominations. You may nominate up to four AARs for each of the following games:

Europa Universalis IV
Crusader Kings II
Victoria II
Hearts of Iron IV
Stellaris

and up to four additional games in the "other" category, which includes all other Paradox Development Studio games not mentioned above. Kindly use the following format:

[Name of game/"other"]
1. AAR name, author, URL
2. AAR name, author, URL
3. AAR name, author, URL
4. AAR name, author, URL

If an URL has already been posted once, there is no need to put it up again.

The deadline for voting is May 6th at 8 PM (+1 GMT).

With that said, it is now time for the voting to begin!

- Loup, current host of the ACAs

Loup, what are you doing to me to organise this just after the YAYA's have been concluded, I'm going to have a burnout on choosing AARs after this :eek: ;). Anyway, guess I'll reserve this spot to post my ballot once ready :). Thanks for organising this once again!

EU4:
- A Masochists Compendium of Byzantium Attempts [1.25] by @Amorenkaire .
- My cup of coffee - Yemen will protect the Secret - VH by @Dominion .
- Ming/Manchu Non-Abrahamic One Faith by @mackwolfe .
- Tall Tales - a Tall France mini-AAR by @Badesumofu .

EDIT: @loup99 for your record, I added my first section of nominees for EU4.

Last edited:
@Tom D. - that likely falls on me and not loup as I extended the deadline for the YAYAs to the end of the month. I did not want to overlap with the ACAs in this traditional spot but I can easily see that it may seem like overkill. The good news is that some of the works that fell just outside of the eligibility period for the year-end awards may now find a home here (I hope they do!) :)

Thank you for hosting these again @loup99 and for being so quick to get it out there on April 1st. I do hope that the recent year end vote has not burned people out too much and that this receives a full following. Back later with my own vote.

Quick clarification: for the "Other" category, does that mean four AARs per game or one AAR from other games, f.e. (not that I have that many) could I nominate four from HoI3 and four from HoI2, or do I only get four period with only one per game?

Quick clarification: for the "Other" category, does that mean four AARs per game or one AAR from other games, f.e. (not that I have that many) could I nominate four from HoI3 and four from HoI2, or do I only get four period with only one per game?
I’m pretty sure it’s four all up - in any mix you like, from ‘other’ games. So 2+2, 3+1, 4-0, 2-1-1 etc, but loup99 will clarify, I’m sure.

I’m pretty sure it’s four all up - in any mix you like, from ‘other’ games. So 2+2, 3+1, 4-0, 2-1-1 etc, but loup99 will clarify, I’m sure.

I would believe @Bullfilter is right. This is the way it has worked previous quarters and there has to my knowledge not been much criticism on that, so I think there are very few reasons to change it. @loup99's post states "up to four additional games", which I interpret as the usual "since you have a maximum of four votes in the category, four is the greatest amount of different games you can vote for". But as Bullfilter said, you can mix however you wish amongst the "other" games. Hopefully this was useful.:)

EDIT:

@loup99, thanks for organising this again, I'll do my best to present a ballot in time. Knowing from previous quarters it may arrive just before the deadline, but it will arrive nonetheless.;)

I'm not bringing you any April Fools Joke today
Hmmm... I'll check you post in detail before I fall for any of that...:p I'm just kidding, of course, I trust your word.:)

Last edited:
Good call. Then, stand by while I generate my list!

CATEGORY: OTHER
1. Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936, by @Bullfilter

This has been one of the more entertaining AARs I get to read; opening myself up to some (probably well deserved shame), I've never actually seen any of the Godfathers, nor any of the other crossovers that get put into the more humorous side of this AAR, but that makes them more entertaining (no baggage to overcome by admiration for a character or anything!).

2. France: A Quick and Dirty HoI3 AAR, by @Bullfilter

Showing it can be done, and without anything super "gamey," no less! Again, a Bullfilter AAR, this one more barebones and strict gameplay. I've enjoyed it very much.

3. Crossfires, a French AAR for HoI2, by @AtlanticFriend

So, to follow two from the same writAAR, to two from the same nation! Since it's restarted, I've been trying to play catch-up. It helped that last spring, I took a university course called "Europe in the Age of Total War, 1914 - 1945" which covered some of the French problems which feature heavily in his version of events as well as in my own AAR.

4. A new Hungary, 1936 AAR (HoI3), by @Lautipus

A great start, and great to see these minors being played (a la Turkey above!).

Last edited:
Many thanks - very generous of you and most appreciated. Nice to see HOI3 getting some nods too. Not bad for an 'old' game! :)

I would believe @Bullfilter is right. This is the way it has worked previous quarters and there has to my knowledge not been much criticism on that, so I think there are very few reasons to change it. @loup99's post states "up to four additional games", which I interpret as the usual "since you have a maximum of four votes in the category, four is the greatest amount of different games you can vote for". But as Bullfilter said, you can mix however you wish amongst the "other" games. Hopefully this was useful.:)
To confirm, it is exactly what Bullfilter and Macke11 said and how you did it: four votes in total per category, and in "other" you may pick from any other PDS game of your choice.

I will start to slowly build mine:

For CKII:

(Damn this was tough! I had at least 8 if not more to pull down to 4. Presented in alpha order by writAAR as always.)

The Wolves of Westseaxna-a tale of Wessex by @Asantahene
Blut und Schlacht (Blood and Battle): A Learner’s Saga by @Bullfilter
The Karling Restoration by @Cardinal Borgia
Before Plantagenet – A House d’Anjou AAR by @JabberJock14

(Honorable mentions that do not count obviously but I really wanted to include them somehow are @LudoOttavio's The King Once and Future - A Tale of Arthur AAR and @Prominences's The Red Crown: a sAARdinian Tale.)

I promise to try and do a full ballot but I'm always going to start with my love, CKII. :D

[Edit to add - ]

For EUIV:

Italian Ambitions: A Florence AAR by @JerseyGiants88
One Catholic and Apostolic Church ( Papal States with blob restriction) by @mackwolfe
Entering the First Court: Kanem Bornu by @stnylan
Europa: In the Age of the Fourth Race of Kings by @volksmarschall

(And an honorable mention to @fabiolundiense for [1.22] Horses for a Kingdom : A Pontic AAR - I wanted to include it but hit my limit of 4!)

For Vicky 2:

Baltic Lightning: a Grand Campaign AAR [Vic2 Branch] by @Centurial
Forza Italia! by @Jape
Empire of the Mediterranean: An Interactive Hispania AAR by @Michaelangelo
L'Empereur est mort: A French AAR by @RossN

(And honorable mention to @volksmarschall's Empire for Liberty: America in the Long Nineteenth Century. I voted for him already above and wanted to spread the love around as best I can. This remains an excellent work!)

For HoI4:

The Sleeping Giant Awakens: A USA Kaiserreich AAR by @History_Buff
Hindsight 20/20: a Dutch narrative AAR by @J_Master
Uranium for Uruguay by @stnylan
Long Live the Permament Revolution! - a Trotskyist Soviet AAR. by @ThaHoward

For Stellaris:

The First Century: A United Nations Stellaris AAR by @cookfl
Children of the Sath'ka--- reboot, Story of the Tor'van by @jasondroth24
Even Better Hautevilles by @hjarg
Under A Watchful Eye - An Apocalypse UN AAR by @Nikolai

(Honorable mentions here for two great writAARs - @alex man142 for Melanie Bernard (A comprehensive history) and @Deaghaidh for Upon Her Shell She Bears Us All. I could not find the space as much as I may wish it.)

For the Other:

Crossfires, a French AAR for HoI2 Doomsday by @AtlanticFriend (HoI2)
Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936 by @Bullfilter (HoI3)
The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR by @El Pip (HoI2)
“Bitter Fruit” a TFH-AAR by @markkur (HoI3)

(No honorable mentions here but it does occur to me that each of the above are from HoI. Heavily voted upon so far as well. A topic for after but perhaps simply fold each game into each other so they compete on equal ground? An idea. :))

And thus, I believe this a full ballot. Great work done by all and well done by all of our writAARs in this last quarter! These choices were not easy due to the wealth of numbers that we see. To all - keep writing. :) There will always be someone to read. :D

Last edited:
Last edited:
Finished off my vote @loup99 and I hope that others join in the fun. :) The year-end nods will be done within a couple of days so look to the work for these last few months, AARland! Yearlies, weeklies and quarterlies - each serves a purpose. Give voice to your favorites for they will thank you. :D

Finally getting around to posting my entries, and I can only apologise for them being so late.

I also wonder if one reason this round hasn't as much interest is that the thread has gotten a bit swamped by all the annual award threads. Perhaps something to consider for next year.

Anyway

Europa Universalis IV
World Conquest for Dummies 2.0 by @SKOTy
[1.22]Horses for a Kingdom: A Pontic AAR by @fabiolundiense
One Catholic and Apostolic Church (Papal States with blob restriction) by @mackwolfe
Raja of the Rajput Reich - Let's Try VH by @Dominion

Crusader Kings II
Before Plantagenet - a House d'Anjou AAR by @JabberJock14
Whiteshirts of England: A History of the Hvitserk Dynasty of Jorvik AAR by @tpmcinty
The Heavy Crown by @coz1
Road of Queens - a CKII India AAR by @Eurasia

Stellaris
Melanie Bernard (a comprehensive history) by @alex man142
The History of the Sol Republic by @Kautz
Omnious? The Omni Council Into the Great Unknown by @Nikolai
Upon Her Shell She Bears Us All by @Deaghaidh

Hearts of Iron IV
Baltic Lightning : a Grand Campaign AAR [HoI4 Branch] by @Centurial
The Sleeping Giant Awakens: A USA Kaiserreich AAR by @History_Buff
The Ottoman Empire Strikes Back on Kaiserreich @Lord Kaiser
Long Live the Permanent Revolution! - a Trotskyist Soviet AAR. by @ThaHoward

Victoria II
L'empereur est mort by @RossN
Song Long Qi - an Isolationist China AAR by @Russiaruler
Baltic Lightning: a Grand Campaign AAR [Vic 2 Branch] by @Centurial
Building a New Poland - a Poland 1946 NWO AAR by @adriankowaty

Other
(HoI3) "Bitter Fruit" - a TFH AAR by @markkur
(HoI3) France: A Quick and Dirty HOI3 AAR - 1936 Start by @Bullfilter
(DH) The Chyrsanthemum Throne, the Grand Campaign, Japanese AAR by @Victor_21
(HoI3) A New Hungary, 1936 AAR by @Lautipus

I can only say, as I say every time, there are a wealth of other AARs out there equally worthy, but one has to make a choice and these, for better or for worse, are mine.

I also wonder if one reason this round hasn't as much interest is that the thread has gotten a bit swamped by all the annual award threads. Perhaps something to consider for next year.
Sadly, I think that is true. I have thought on it even more as I have plans to hold another round of the year-enders in December for the works of 2018 (let us hope) and even there it would overlap with the 4th quarter ACAs (a bit.) However, it took us about two months time to get the voting done this round and that would put us into Feb before the reveals which would be around the same time as the reveals for the 4thQ ACA round (a truly grand reveal month!) Even there, it might be a case of too much voting? Or might they piggy-back on each other through January? Hopefully the rest of this round gets some more attention as does the rest of the years rounds and by December we will have come up with the best plan. I did not want to see the year end awards hinder this effort so any way they might coexist with maximum interaction would be my preference. :)

Now go and vote for your quarterlies, AARland...do it now! Only a week left!!!:D

Will be voting soon. :)

I feel obligated to emphasize that these are in no particular order (Note: all in the 'Other Games' category):
  1. Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936 by @Bullfilter is in my opinion the gold standard for HoI3 AARs (not to say that others do not meet this standard, of course!). Starting from a humble minor power in Turkey, the author weaves a thrilling tale mixing gameplay, historical, and narrative styles, including a quite involved subplot inspired by the classic Godfather movies. My pick for "if I was trapped on a desert island with only one AAR..."
  2. Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44 by @El Pip holds the dubious title of being the second-finest slower-than-real-time AAR in AARland, and out of those arguably the funnier of the two. Featuring the doomed nation (to use the term generously) of Slovakia, the much-beleaguered Tiso and Tuka attempt to maintain a certain degree of sobriety, which is to say not at all, while witnessing in slow motion the Race to Bratislava between the Allies and Comintern. The author swears this will be over by Christmas, and I am required to agree with this assessment as a contingent term of the medal that was totally not awarded to buy my vote.
  3. 'Odin' and Stalin's Secret Committee by @roverS3 is a quite-detailed account of the epic struggle between Communism and Fascism, which...is due to start any day, now. I'll admit that at first, I was a bit put off by the insane amount of detail the author provides in his reports, but keeping with it quickly becomes rewarding as the author delves into history, top-secret Committee reports, and the exciting exploits of a certain, ah, "asset".
  4. Der Adler, der Wolf, und die Sonne: Die Geschichte des Stahlpakts by @Wraith11B is an AAR in which the author pulls off the rather impressive feat of controlling not one, not two, but three Axis powers at once, while providing engaging descriptions of the politics, technology, and military development of each nation (currently only Germany and Italy have been introduced to the readers). This AAR should be particularly noted for its extreme quality of production, with numerous detailed and attractive graphical aids for those among us who still fondly remember our childhood days of reading picture books and Excel charts.

Last edited:
Other - HOI3

Once again, I find myself with a few too many AARs from HOI3 that I'd like to include (while some new ones have just missed the 31 March cut-off). So, as always if you aren't included in the four this time around or get a specific mention below, it's not because I don't love you/your work! ;) But one has to exercise some discipline. Long Live HOI3 AARLand!
  • 'Odin' and Stalin's Secret Committee by @roverS3. Stats, a Secret State, espionage hijinks and an impending Great Patriotic War. A stalwart of the HOI3 forum.
  • Bitter Fruit” by @markkur. It's markkur, so you know it must be good! Lending his creative, humorous and roller-coaster game approach to the Kiwis this time.
  • Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44 by @El Pip. A great and long-running favourite, of course, and El Pip has granted it a bit of a new and very welcome lease of slower-than-real-time life recently.
  • A new Hungary, 1936 AAR by @lautipus. Lautipus saw this one through to the bitter end and has since started a new effort. Marks for taking a path less trod and persistence in fighting through to the end of both the game and the AAR.
This means I'll have to carry over an AAR that started in the quarter and also deserves recognition, Der Adler, der Wolf, und die Sonne: Die Geschichte des Stahlpakts by @Wraith11B, until the next AAR Quarterly awards, but I wanted to recognise Lautipus' finished work here before it fades into AAR history. Wraith11B's work is bound to figure prominently in coming quarters. There are some other newer works also started up recently that you can jump onto before they go too far forward (and some more venerable ones also worth looking at), so pop on over. HOI3 AARs are alive and kicking! :)

CK2

Oh, what a crowded landscape full of great stuff! Again, I will reward what I perceive as excellence, currency and frequency and in short-listing must unfortunately exclude a number of really good AARs I'm following (and no doubt more that I'm not for lack of time). For this one, there are that many on my 'wish I could included them too' list that I'll refrain from listing them all, but will mention two that I self-awarded the 'Cruel' trait for not being able to put into my final four! :D Please, read them anyway if you don't already!

As above for HOI3, not necessarily in order. To those not on it that I do read, sorry - it won't stop me reading and respecting your work! :D
  • Before Plantagenet – A House d’Anjou AAR by @JabberJock14. How could I not? Has maintained and developed a great and engaging work.
  • The Heavy Crown by @coz1. Another must-nominate for me. Epic, character driven, with real heart and many twists and turns, brim full of characters you either come to care about or want to see get their come-uppance!
  • The Red Crown: a sAARdinian Tale by @prominences. Funny, imaginative, epic, brilliant variations of 'character voice' with each succession of the main player character. Do yourself a favour and tune in, if you haven't yet!
  • Road of Queens - a CKII India AAR by @Eurasia. Funny, very prolific, true to its themes, entertaining. Had to include it.
Which means there are two more AARs I would really love to have squeezed in this time (and have in the past, so I'm trying to share the joy around a bit): the really excellent The Wolves of Westseaxna-a tale of Wessex by @Asantahene and Reavers of the Isle: a CK2 AGOT AAR by @rufy_king. Others too, but I must draw the line somewhere.:confused:

I may one day stretch my time and attention to seriously look at more AARLand provinces (EU4, V2, HOI4, Stellaris), but for now am very occupied by the two I frequent most regularly.

And again thanks @loup99 for running these. If you find the post-YAYA period is a bit hard to get over voter-fatigue, you could always look at making it three per year (ie 4-month intervals), but I for one am happy to see quarterly continue.

Last edited:
CKII
1. The Wolves of Westseaxna-a tale of Wessex by @Asantahene
2. Blut und Schlacht (Blood and Battle): A Learner’s Saga by @Bullfilter
3. The Heavy Crown by @coz1

Victoria II
1. Forza Italia! by @Jape
2. Ominous Century: The Politics of Spanish and Portuguese Reaction by @99KingHigh

HOI4

1. Uranium for Uruguay by @stnylan
2. The Ottoman Empire Strikes Back on Kaiserreich @Lord Kaiser

Other (Where all the best works are)
1. France: A Quick and Dirty HoI3 AAR, by @Bullfilter
2. Crossfires, a French AAR for HoI2, by @AtlanticFriend
3. “Bitter Fruit” a TFH-AAR by @markkur
4. Der Adler, der Wolf, und die Sonne: Die Geschichte des Stahlpakts, by @Wraith11B

As I have most of the CK2 AARs everyone else voted for still stuck on my 'Read at some point later' list I found picking that slate a breeze. Picking which masterpiece to go into 'Other', now that was the tricky part. ;)

Last edited: