Q&A Stream November 9 - Ask us your questions!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

OliverThulin

Corporal
6 Badges
Dec 9, 2019
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
Attention Commanders!
I hope this message finds you and yours safe and sound, ready to deploy onto the battlefield when Star Kings launches next week, November 10.
However! Before that happens we'll host a Q&A stream on Monday, November 9 at 15:00 CET, and we'd like to ask you what you'd like to ask us!

Tom will be there to answer Your questions and play the game in anticipation for launch.
So, to recap:

When: Monday, November 10 15:00 CET
Where: twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

We hope to see you in the chat!
Regards,
Oliver Thulin, Community Ambassador

StarKingsQ&ANov9.png

• 5Like
Reactions:
I still think its a missed oppurtunity that there isnt a space level (instead of an undeground level), orbital bases and space ships would have been awesome. Any chance Triumph?

• 4Like
Reactions:
Will each race get one specific economic building tied up to the residential sectors, or will there more per race?
Will the residential sectors get some sector specializations? I've seen up till now that they provide increased sector cap, a boost to the special economic building, and resource per colonist boost.

Reactions:
Good afternoon.
I'm from Russia. And I, as I think many of my compatriots, was a little surprised by the situation with the Dwars.
When I first heard that the game would have a faction with Russian names tied to production, I thought it would be an allusion to the Soviet Union and a lot of interesting references. I even looked forward to the «five-year Plan for three years» doctrine that accelerates production and the «Learn, learn and learn again» doctrine that gives a bonus to science.
But instead I was surprised to find that the dvars have nothing in common with the Soviet people. And if you look at their mentality, they are rather closer to the English Industrialists of the 19th century. And the top of their social development is generally the doctrine of «oligarchy». I would like to ask - why you decided to make such a strange combination of Russian names and early English capitalism? After all, you probably discussed the idea of making the Dvars Communists. Which would look very logical and generally appropriate within the framework of science fiction.

Reactions:
Good afternoon.
I'm from Russia. And I, as I think many of my compatriots, was a little surprised by the situation with the Dwars.
When I first heard that the game would have a faction with Russian names tied to production, I thought it would be an allusion to the Soviet Union and a lot of interesting references. I even looked forward to the «five-year Plan for three years» doctrine that accelerates production and the «Learn, learn and learn again» doctrine that gives a bonus to science.
But instead I was surprised to find that the dvars have nothing in common with the Soviet people. And if you look at their mentality, they are rather closer to the English Industrialists of the 19th century. And the top of their social development is generally the doctrine of «oligarchy». I would like to ask - why you decided to make such a strange combination of Russian names and early English capitalism? After all, you probably discussed the idea of making the Dvars Communists. Which would look very logical and generally appropriate within the framework of science fiction.
I think devs talked about this in one dev diary before the game release. In short it was to subvert the trope Russians = communism. They make them hardcore capitalists instead.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Good afternoon.
Dwars =/= Soviet Union and more like traditional + modern Russia, like in one of dev-diary was said. And honestly - it's more unique and much better than Soviets... again, again and again. And yep: modern Russia = authoritarian (now maybe totalitarian) oligarchy.

And yep, I'm from Russia too.

Как-то так дела и обстоят.

Reactions:
I have some questions about the Lore side of things.
1. Is cosmite solidified mana/magic? If so, is there a link to the ' magical' world of the classis AoW games?
2. we know
Julia shows up as an underpinning principle of bridging time and space
. Where do Merlin, Gabriel and the other wizard slot in? Are they all laws of nature, metaphyisical concepts or receive shout outs in some other way in Planetfall lore?
3. Will we be able to reach Athla in the Empire mode?
4. Is the Oracle really and AI, like really? Or something else enitrely?
5. In case of no ' true' links existing between Planetfall and the classic AoW world; how hard was it to turn away from the established lore completely? Would you like to revisit the World of Athla and pick up where you left off?

These are basically educated guesses, combining guesses and gleanings from the franchise. I ofcourse run the risk of connecting dots that are not in fact there, but to wander, blind and lost, is but the burden of the seeker.

1 more game mechanics related issue:
will more tier IV vechiles become available for heroes? (Reavers, Drone Carriers, Earth Crusher for example? Always felt a bit off that my Assembly heroes couldn't evolve into the ultimate lifeform;)).

Reactions:
Besides the question already posted regarding the future of Planetfall, which I am most interested in, I would propose the following:
  1. Will we get to see the Star Union before the collapse? Or a future Star Union 2? (wink wink)
  2. Is the current balance between strategy and tactical likely to be maintained going forward? Could strategy gain depth without sacrificing tactical depth while keeping it manageable?
  3. Hypothetically hypothesizing, which mechanics would change and which would survive in a hypothetical Planetfall 2, after the experience of Planetfall (1)? Hypothesis :)

Reactions:
I would like to ask - why you decided to make such a strange combination of Russian names and early English capitalism? After all, you probably discussed the idea of making the Dvars Communists. Which would look very logical and generally appropriate within the framework of science fiction.

I think that's more down to a general Stereotype. The Dwarves (which the Dvar are primarily based on, duh) are usually referenced in pop literature as stubborn, lovers of booze, miners/artisans, greedy and tough.

The parts about stubborn, booze-loving and tough-as nails perfectly fit the Russian stereotype, and as someone with a DnD background, I can assure you that Dwarves in most homebrew campaigns are always an omage to Scottish or Russian culture (or a really weird mix in between).

However, the greed aspect doesn't fit well with Communism... so it's pretty fair to have the Dvar be ultra-capitalist. That doesn't mean they can't still have omages to Russian culture in appearance and name.

Keep in mind that the goal here was to create a believable faction, that has a coherent culture, and both seems familiar, yet is not just space dwarves. The goal wasn't to perfectly import 'a Russian culture' into the game.

Reactions:
Questions that I hope will be fun to answer. I don't expect all of them to be answered.

1. How do you go about deciding what goes into a DLC?

2 Do you have any hard rules when designing race / unit concepts?

3. What was something that you wanted to add sooner but got pushed back to later patches?

4. How do I convince you to make a second season pass? (clearly the most serious question)

5. What was the hardest thing to implement into the game?

6. What was the idea that took the most back and forth into to get right?

7. Any regrets?

8. Any chance you could tell us a idea that will never get added and why it won't be?

Hope that gives you some things to ponder / some fun stories to tell :D

• 4Like
Reactions:
1. As someone who has played all factions and found at least 2 techs per faction that I enjoy, are we gonna be able to learn all techs for 1 faction at the same time?

2. A space overlay has been suggested. Have you thought about combining aspects of stellaris and aow: planetfall?

3. In the same vein as question 2. How about combining aspects of crusader kings and aow?

That is all. Thank you for your work.

Reactions: