• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Whoops, wrong thread.

Last edited:
You've seen some of the reviews?
I've not seen any, except for user reviews posted by people (understandably) PO'ed that the game's broken.

Btw, has anyone else seen this yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-t4WtcxQA

XD
An extremely over-used segment for countless items. YouTube usually yanks them because the segment is copyrighted in a movie.

I guess I've just seen it used in this way too many times. In fact, I know who actually used it the first time on YouTube. It actually started over two years ago when my Alma Mater's basketball team started tanking. We all got a kick out of it, it went viral in our conference, then everyone was making their own, and then it spread beyond topics of college hoops.

I honestly can't see how this game was released with this many bugs in it...
It's completely unplayable and anyone who tried to play just a single game would realise this within a very short amount of time. I doubt there has been a beta test of this game, and there has only been testing of (sometimes) individual functionalities and not an actual full game beta test.

Something that I discovered within 1 hour of game play:

I built a science station in my home system; level 1 for 100k
I built a science station in a neighbouring system; level 1 for 100k
I upgraded the station in my home system; level 1-2 for 100k
I upgraded the station in my neighbouring system; level 1-2 for 500k. This is what first caught my eye - why was this cost 500k and not 100k? oh well I thought, maybe there's a global cost for additional science stations or something. Then when the station had finished upgrading it said that I had upgraded the station in my home system and not the station in the neighbouring system. And true enough, the science station in my home system had been upgraded but when I checked the neighbouring system's science station it now had 0/0 modules and apparently had been downgraded to level 0 or something. Then I tried upgrading this again (maybe twice), and I was even able to upgrade it to polytech station for a cost of 10 million even though I only had 500k, and it didn't cost me anything. Everytime I tried upgrading the station in the neighbouring system, it upgraded the station in my home system instead, and the neighboring station kept at 0/0 modules.

I have to say that to release the game in this state has convinced me that you intentionally deceived us - the buyers - probably due to lack of funds.

I have two simple questions to you as responsible for release this game in it's current state:
Did you try playing the game before you released it?
Did you believe the game was playable?

I have two simple questions to you as responsible for release this game in it's current state:
Did you try playing the game before you released it?
Did you believe the game was playable?
What exactly is "playable"?

I would prefer this question:
Did you believe anyone will enjoy playing the game at that status?

I guess I've just seen it used in this way too many times.

Fair one, TheBS, it was only the second one i had seen.
Plus in this one it was the choice to reference waiting for Skyrim, as I was planning on cutting my teeth on the AI until ES-V rules my life for a bit.

Maybe they should use some footage of Mussolini ranting and raving. :D
That would seem pretty appropriate for some of the venting on this thread.

Back to topic.
I hope we get another patch today.
But I'm one who's POity has faded and i'm just gonna wait 'til it's playable.
I cant wait til it is. Definite flavours of MoO going on and, my fave 4X, Deuteros.
But neither of those games confirmed my orders with "Yyyyiiss, Var Konaaa" and are thus inherently inferior ;)

Fixing the obvious bugs is nice, but where is the SotS heading?

Like so many others that have posted here so far, I was really looking forward to the release of SotS2. And likewise I got really disappointed right after downloading it. So far I am not looking to any refund because of the bugs and some missing functionality - Kerberos can made them work relatively soon. But I am getting worried about the game staying true to the course set by SotS1, because after playing several hours of the game I can see a major problem (at least for me):

The proclaimed motto easy to learn, hard to master seems to cease to hold - even after playing tens (possibly hundreds) of hours of playing SotS1 it felt kinda hard to navigate around the strategic interface (esp. without working screen-centering on new events). Plus the new system for ordering your fleets to do missions by first clicking on target system, choosing the kind of mission, choosing the fleet from unnecessary new window, and only after that confirming the mission - i.e. only if you are allowed to, i.e. if there is the fleet you intended to use for this purpose in the selection; if it is not you need to go back to the startegy screen and find out what the .... is wrong and then reiterate the process. It is needlessly complicated, feels unnatural, and prolongs the already long gameplay (I mean I already spent quite a lot of time playing SotS1, so I don't mind a long game, but I want to spend my time designing new ships and using them in combat and thinking how to out-manoeuvre the opponents' fleets in the galaxy and what technology to research next, but certainly not clicking myself to death through uncessary selection windows) - the system of ordering ships in SotS1 was completely fine and most things were intuitive and you didn't need to think hard trying to do simple things or even search the manual (rather incomplete for the time being) for help.

Similarly, there are other things that rather needlessly complicate the game - like the province system, new options for budgeting, or the whole idea of Admirals and their retiring/capturing - all these new features add even more complexity to the game, make it harder to learn, and even longer to play even a simple game and what is the worst, they distract players from the core of the game - strategy and combat. I always loved the SotS1 for its awesome feel of combat on one hand, and the simple and efficient empire management on the other. For now SotS2, seems to divert from this combination. I don't know how many of you guys remember the Master of Orion series, but it would be a real shame if SotS was to end like MoO (god, I was so frustrated from playing MoO3 - it was like filling out a tax return, only to receive back yet another form to fill out).

And I am afraid that this is not to be fixed by a few minor patches - those are severe design decisions and altering them would require (I imagine) a lot of work on Kerberos' part and a lot of feedback on fans' part.

What are your thoughts on this, guys?

The part I agree with is about how the game keeps on opening unnecessary new windows.
I think part of the reason you think it's so complicated is because of these and the associated long load time.
From my experience, you can play the game fine against normal computers by just using the budget scroll bar and ignoring individual budget/trade/province/stations(with the exception of Naval), that seem to suggest it is designed to be easy to learn.
The idea of fleets and admirals is probably meant to make the player feel more like a Head of State rather than a dispatcher that worries about every little detail.

If it bothers you, just try to ignore the new features and play the game like you did in SoTS I with the addition of the fleet/admiral feature, you should do fine.
On the other hand, if you want to play an aggressive game against multiple hard AI's(though they aren't that hard at this point) then you might want to learn the details of the economy and how to calculate relative costs and benefits.

I love every thing they have done for the community as well as the support and the patches that they have given us. In the OP it said to e-mail them for a free copy of SoTS and I was just wondering if and when they will get back to me.

How do you force steam to update sotsII?... I see the autoupdate but never see anything actually transferring or downloading or anything... short of deleting the game and installing from scratch, I am never sure that the game actually is current... any help here will be much appreciated... a manual update would work for me just fine...

I love every thing they have done for the community as well as the support and the patches that they have given us. In the OP it said to e-mail them for a free copy of SoTS and I was just wondering if and when they will get back to me.
Valin, I just got my email for the free version of SOTS I, if you haven't got it yet, it shouldn't be too far away.

This thread has inspired my new design.

CerberuscomplaintsDeflector.jpg

That said even in its very broken state I am enjoying what I can.

Cheers Modestus.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.