• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Doctoxic

Colonel
88 Badges
Dec 19, 2002
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Iron Cross
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
I can't seem to get the 1938 Purpose Designed CAG tech activated

I have had a look at the db files and found this:-

required = { 4020 4090 } # 1937 Aviation Industry AND Purposed-design Carrier Air Group Aircraft Policy
# Activated by: 15 000t Fleet Carrier (3320) OR 14 000t Light Carrier (3480)

I think i have all these, assuming "Purposed-design Carrier Air Group Aircraft Policy " is 1936 CAG??

What am i missing here?

Any chance you can put what techs are needed in the description where they appear on a different page?

Many thanks

Ok figured things out but maybe there is a bug

where i went wrong was when i got to 36 Designed CAG -according to the tech tree this needed either 1936 CAG or 1939 CAG - so i thought i don't need both and just go for 1939 CAG BUT i didn' notice that researching 1939 CAG "deactivates" 1938 designated CAG even though it activates 1936 CAG

i was confused - is everything working and/or displaying as it should?

thanks

What country are you playing, to begin with? :)

The 36 Designed CAG is the Purposed-design Carrier Air Group Aircraft Policy It's activated by these options:
required = { 5220 } # Semi-Industrialized Economy
or_required = { 4900 4910 } # 1936 Carrier Air Group Development OR 1939 Converted CAG

So you need to be semi-industrialized or higher (which can't be researched, it's set at the outset whether you are or not), and needs either of the 1936 Carrier Air Group Development or 1939 converted CAG techs to activate.

thanks for the reply

i was playing as GER

my problem wasn't 1936 Designed CAG directly, it was just the cause of me NOT getting the 1938 designed CAG activated

because to get 1936 Des CAG you need either 36 CAG or 39 CAG and i assumed that either would open the way for all the designated CAG versions, but it doesn't

why do you need 39 CAG for a 1936 Tech for Designated CAG? And, why does 39 CAG deactivate 1938 Desgnated CAG, particularly when it activates 1936 designated CAG

cheers

Likely a design choice to keep the "design" path open only for those nation that were actually using purpose-designed airfraft on carrier (USA/JAP as examples), most other nations used converted land planes or, like UK, had a mix of rather unseccessful purpose-designed planes + land-based conversion

no problem with this....

Likely a design choice to keep the "design" path open only for those nation that were actually using purpose-designed airfraft on carrier

However , its odd to me that a "1939" tech is an option to unlock a 1936 tech, why not only have 1936 CAG to unlock the the designated CAG path

at the end of the day it was my own fault for nor reading all the text, but i did find it very counter intuitive

cheers

That's because you went with land-based conversion CAGs first, and only then did a switch-over to purpose-built CAGs... They're basically parallel design paths.

That's because you went with land-based conversion CAGs first, and only then did a switch-over to purpose-built CAGs... They're basically parallel design paths.

but i didn't have a choice, you need 1936 CAG to unlock the 1936 designated CAG

Again, which country are you playing? The designated CAGs is the natural way forward for both Japan and the US, a bit less so for others (though not impossible).

To unlock the 1936 designated CAG you need the following:
required = { 5220 } # Semi-Industrialized Economy
or_required = { 4900 4910 } # 1936 Carrier Air Group Development OR 1939 Converted CAG
Where the 1939 Converted CAG is a late option to switch towards designated CAGs, the normal route is via 1936 Carrier Air Group Development

The 1936 Carrier Air Group Development in turn requires:
required = { 4500 4600 } # 1935 Light Bomber Development AND 1935 Light Fighter Development

The 1936 Carrier Air Group Development in turn requires:
required = { 4500 4600 } # 1935 Light Bomber Development AND 1935 Light Fighter Development

Playing version 1.10 KXYI

Load up a new game as Germany
GER has both those techs at start
GER will NOT have access to 1936 Designated CAG
The techs to unlock 1936 Designated CAG are shown as 36 CAG or 39 CAG

EDIT : I think i have figured out why this is - you also need '30 CV Line from Naval Doctrines which is on another screen

Last edited:
That could very well be, and I'm not surprised that Germany would have difficulties in going for a designed CAG. They're hard pressed to go for a proper carrier force with converted CAG aircraft (as it should be). If you focus long enough on carrier techs you will get advanced tech teams, but they definitely come at a price. :)

Designated cag for ger requires the first three carier doctrines :
- carrier warfare 1930
- basis carier opperations 1930
- battleline support opperations doctrine 1930

for Germany they are a pain in the ass to develop (nevertheless i do it) - no idea how much better designated cag is though...