• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Spaceception

Dyson Cloud Technician
14 Badges
Jan 25, 2018
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
Some ideas on the fly of what may be interesting to add to the game.

Puppet states could be created after a Liberation war, and/or after creating some sort of Vassal that may be disloyal. You could boost factions, change certain policies, force-elect leaders, maybe make or break alliances they have, etc. There could also be a timer for how long you can influence their government for, and it could have a monthly influence cost/upfront influence cost for that time. Or you could just choose to change their ethics (in Liberation wars), or leave them be (in Vassals).

Proxy wars could be for when you want another puppet state, or weakened/defeated Empire, but for whatever reason, you don't want to engage them yourself. Maybe they're pretty far away, maybe you're in the middle of another war, and don't want multiple fronts, or so on. You can request that an Empire (especially, or maybe only puppet states) declares war. You can decide the CB, and give them resources/some of your fleet to bribe/help them.
This would also be a useful mechanic if Cold wars were implemented. You don't want to engage the Empire you're rivaling right now, and neither do they, so the both of you can set up proxy wars to gain additional territory and resources, or a loyal ally/vassal.

Maybe different ethics can have differing specifics on what these can do?

This could also be attached, and expanded to something like "open" and "secretive" diplomacy. Where open is what everyone sees, and secretive is only what the other Empire sees. There could be additional things added to secretive diplomacy too, like if they're allied to a rival, and you want to know what they have. Militarily or technologically. This could make games more interesting, as the AI could do it to you as well, but it would need balance so it isn't too powerful.

Thoughts? Alternative mechanics/creation/motives?

I think these mechanics would be better when vassals as a whole are expanded. Expanding vassals and federations is something that the devs plan to do, and this would fit right in. I think these sorts of mechanics would be better for a full expansion then some sort of weird pseudo-vassal mechanics.

I think these mechanics would be better when vassals as a whole are expanded. Expanding vassals and federations is something that the devs plan to do, and this would fit right in. I think these sorts of mechanics would be better for a full expansion then some sort of weird pseudo-vassal mechanics.
Fully agreed. These are just a few things I'd like to see worked in with something like that.

Shameless plug, but my Vassals Expanded and Reworked mod does this, albeit in a much simpler way. If you are authoritarian, you can turn your vassals into Puppet States — which pay you a 5% minerals/energy tax and get a -10 stability. You can also use influence to make your puppets attack a neighboring country.

As I said, though, my implementation is quite simple. You can't influence the Puppet's internal policies and the proxy wars are just a way to annoy your enemies (you can't choose the CB or give your puppet money/troops to boost their performance, as you suggested). An official implementation by Paradox could be much, much more deep.

Shameless plug, but my Vassals Expanded and Reworked mod does this, albeit in a much simpler way. If you are authoritarian, you can turn your vassals into Puppet States — which pay you a 5% minerals/energy tax and get a -10 stability. You can also use influence to make your puppets attack a neighboring country.

As I said, though, my implementation is quite simple. You can't influence the Puppet's internal policies and the proxy wars are just a way to annoy your enemies (you can't choose the CB or give your puppet money/troops to boost their performance, as you suggested). An official implementation by Paradox could be much, much more deep.
Oh that's really cool, I'm gonna have to try that mod out sometime.