• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 45 - War Dance
Chapter 45 – War Dance

February 1737

Wilhelm Elsner was in awe of the Berlin palace as he headed for the Emperor’s office. While the proposals for his new palaces were constantly rejected by the Landtag, Friedrich III had made the most of the decorating budget. Teams of workmen were constantly renovating different corners of the palace. The most elite artists and craftsmen from around the Empire were hired. Even among the simplest of manual laborers, the best was demanded. Strong men who could follow orders, yes, but ones who could follow written orders as well. Wilhelm did not think it wise to encourage literacy among that class of people, considering some of the revolutionary ideas that were in print nowadays.

He passed by the Empress Sabine heading the other way, likely off to her fencing lesson. She saluted him with her sword. Elsner respectfully bowed as she passed, but inside he was irritated. He did not know why the Emperor abided Sabine to wear masculine clothes.

He had seen a lot during his tenure in the Landtag. The seat had been in his family for generations, but he had inherited it as a very young man. He had not liked the way society had headed during that time; now women were wearing trousers and workmen were learning to read.

“Come in, Lord Elsner,” beckoned a voice. The door was open and Friedrich III was lounging on a sofa.

“Your Imperial Majesty,” bowed Elsner. “I am here to inform you that the Landtag has formed a government.”

“Splendid. Congratulations on your promotion, Speaker. Have a seat.”

Fredrich III had a welcome antipathy towards the inner workings of the Landtag, and with the death of his father’s henchman Ortmann the liberal faction more or less fell apart. Friedrich III had no interest in who the Landtag selected as the next Speaker as long as they ensured the body respected his absolute royal authority. The Landtag elected its own Speaker for the first time in modern memory, and the Elsner family had enough influence to make a play for the job. Elsner did not agree with Friedrich III’s lifestyle, but he respected that the young emperor knew his traditional role in society and took command.

“Is the land distribution bill going to pass?”

“By the end of the week.”

“Splendid.” The Ottomans had agreed to a separate peace treaty as their imperialist war against Russia raged on. Prussia had claimed a swath of territory across Poland to the base of the Carpathians. However, rather than annexing the territory outright and stretching Prussia’s military state apparatus, the plan was to install an Imperial standard administration to the area, then transferring ownership of the territory between the marches of the Commonwealth and Danzig.

“I have a feeling, Emperor, that this relationship will be profitable for us...and all of Prussia.”

c45i1.png

August 1739

“Hello Hans!” sang a familiar voice, and Hans looked up from his beer at the woman who sat down across the table from him. He almost did not recognize her in a dress and thick makeup.

“Nik! What are you doing?”

“Same thing as everyone else, silly. Celebrating!” she said as she reached out and grabbed his hand.

Hans recoiled, glancing at some of the other uniformed Prussian and Hamburg soldiers in the crowded beer hall. Nik sensed his hesitation and turned around to see the other officers, flirting with local Dutch women.

“Oh, Hans.” She purred, “They don’t recognize me. And they are distracted, look.”

Hans noticed that the others were indeed all distracted, either flirting with one of the locals or passed out drunk. One major with two of the women hanging off him saw Hans and Nik starting back. He raised his stein at Hans. Nervously, Hans returned the salute, and then the major turned his attention back to the ladies.

The Prussians had barely achieved victory over the Ottomans when an opportunity presented itself. The Spanish jumped on the wounded Ottoman Empire by invading the Balkans. After a year of patrolling the new territory after the war ended, they finally returned to Berlin. They had barely been in town for two days before they received orders to invade the remaining Dutch coastline. Now that Spain was committed to fighting the Ottomans, they were not going to come the Netherlands’ aid.

Of the Netherlands’s remaining allies, Ming and Vijayanagar were too far away to interfere in time. Saxony was able to put up a fight, but ultimately was overrun and forced to release three princes.

“These establishments are as exciting as you’ve said. We didn’t have them in the country. I was hoping to go to one of the places in Berlin you told me about, but there wasn’t time.” Nik took his hands again. “Come on, teach me how to dance.”

The Netherlands surrendered soon after, and Prussia got some vengeance now that it was known that a Dutch nationalist, not a Spanish agent, was responsible for the assassination. However, many burgher businessmen, already favorable to Prussia though existing trade agreements, welcomed Prussian control. The proprietor of this German-style establishment in Amsterdam was one such man.

“You want to learn to dance, here?” said Hans as he rose to his feet, “You are the strangest person I know.”

“You said it was like fencing, didn’t you? Is this how my feet go...”

c45i2.png

January 1743

Paula stared in awe from the balcony out over the crowd below shortly after the Imperial Diet had adjourned. The assembled princes and their entourages from across the Empire were present. Her father had called the diet after retaking the last of the Imperial provinces that were held by the Spanish crown.

While the alliances with France and Morocco were salvaged, they were not willing to go to war when the truce with Spain expired. Fredrich III thought that with most of Prussia’s army still stationed in the Netherlands and with most of Spain’s army fighting Ottomans in the Balkans, it was worth the risk and the final three counties were acquired. These gains, combined with recent Prussian conquests in Poland, lead to a boost of Imperial spirit across the HRE. Even Switzerland wound up adding two provinces at the margins of the Empire.

Fredrich III, having left the Prussian Landtag to its own devices, focused on gaining support at the Imperial diet. Many of the newly-released nations were grateful and leant their support, including Bohemia who was once a mighty Prussian rival but now was just a free city. Tapping into that Imperial spirit, he managed to get some Reichsreform measures passed, instituting some bureaucrats directly answerable to the Emperor alone in each princedom.

Paula was pleased to learn that she still had support as the Imperial heir. All of the electors supported her, save Saxony and the Netherlands, and they had recent reasons to be upset with Prussia. Even at age eleven, she was aware that she was soon to be one of the most-sought after brides in the Empire.

It was to escape the attention in the reception area that she sought out this balcony. Closing her eyes, she imagined herself as a bird, circling the hall, unnoticed by the dignitaries.

c45i3.png

The Ottomans! Well you certainly think big I'll give you that :p

Berlin will be looked to by all Europe as their protectors if you can do a good job here.

This is the beginning of the end of the Ottomans. I feel bad for indirectly making them huge, but at least they are big enough for multiple empires to feast on.

Chapter 46: Top Advisors
Chapter 46: Top Advisors

August 1744

“What are you thinking about?” asked Sabine

“Vassal management.” Said Friedrich III, “I’m thinking of letting Lithuania off the leash, it will be safe in its corner of the Empire. Same with Mecklenburg, it will be secure between our other vassals and friendly electors. I’ll also put some of my cousins on their thrones. And now that we control the Netherlands, Cleves can safely be formed as a new direct vassal prince. “What are you thinking about?” he continued.

“Hmmm? My new fencing instructor.” Said Sabine as she opened her eyes.

“Another one? What’s he like?”

“Wonderful. But she’s a her.”

“A her?”

“Yes. Would you believe that one of our best commandants is a woman? You wouldn’t know it with her clothes on, she’s a really good impersonator. You’d like her. I can invite her over if you want.”

“Are you sure? I like my men like men and my women like women.”

“I think you might fancy her more than you think. She likes.... whips.” winked Sabine as she mimed the cracking motion.

c46i1.png

August 1748

“Count von Cocceji! A moment of your time!”

Samuel von Cocceji turned his head. “Emperor! You honor me with your presence.”

“Thank you. That was a wonderful speech you delivered in the Landtag denouncing the war. You ripped apart von Hohenzollern’s arguments. Didn’t change the vote in the end, but I admire your passion and talent.”

Two years ago, it was decided that Norway would be better off in Prussia’s glorious empire. It had been reduced to just island territories scattered across the North Sea and the Caribbean. There was some distant von Gersdorff dynamistic link with the old ruling family, but the rebels that were in the process of overthrowing them controlled the Faroes.

It was the perfect opportunity to gaining a naval foothold. The memory of the Pirate Princess Anna Maria loomed large; novels and operas about her life were popular, and the civilian ship market was booming. Empress Sabine had popularized a swashbuckling-style at court, and Princess Paula had even started dressing as her ancestor at fancy balls and masquerades, sometimes even adding a parrot, one of her many pet birds, as an anachronistic touch. Friedrich III’s youngest sister had married an ancestor of the disgraced von Kyau, the villain in many of those works of art. It wasn’t interpreted as a slight on them, that was purely coincidence, but often Friedrich III pretended it was a joke.

“It is good to hear that, Emperor.”

“In fact, I am so impressed I want you to work for me.”

c46i2.png

October 1750

Wincing as he stepped from the carriage, Adolf Riwotzki was able to shift his weight to his cane and Princess Paula helped support his weight.

“Are you alright, Minister Riwotzki?”

“Yes, Princess, I’m fine.” He mumbled. They had just returned from a tour of the Saxony area, and had secured more support for the government in that region of the Holy Roman Empire. In addition to finalizing the plans for her upcoming marriage to a second cousin from one of the Saxon states, agreements were made involving the lowering of internal trade barriers.

“You should see the doctor,” said Nikolaus Holtzendorff as she stepped off the carriage behind them. In truth, Adolf knew his leg was getting worse, but he would not admit it to the women.

Holtzendorff was a particularly strange woman, but surprisingly effective. After a swift victory completely annexing Norway, Prussia found itself in possession of the isles of the Faeroes, Iceland, Mann and several Caribbean islands, establishing a foothold in the Atlantic. The peace treaty was signed on a Friday, and then the next Wednesday Prussian military aid was requested in Hamburg’s latest war with Sweden.

However, Holzendorff was able to take the management of Prussia’s armies to the next level and was able to arrange for several conflicts to managed simultaneously. The Faeroes were used as a staging point to launch an invasion of Scotland. Both conflicts were proceeding favorably, and they were not currently much of a burden on the state’s resources. Empress Sabine had tried to replace Nikolaus with a new favorite on at least two occasions. However, Nikolaus still was in favor with Friedrich III. Riwotzki wondered if the Empress was slowly falling out of favor, but he was too old and tired to waste time judging the Emperor anymore.

Paula was growing to be a woman of morals and discretion, aloof yet diplomatic. She would be able to bond with many far corners of the Empire as has with the Saxon provinces. Her head was often in the clouds, but Riwotzki knew that competent Prussian administrators could pick up the slack.

Something drew Holzendorff’s attention, and he followed her gaze. She seemed to recognize a man in the crowd. He was a man in his late thirties, stocky but held himself like a soldier. A recent veteran who was starting to slip out of shape, but one who likely entered the army quite round. There were many men of his type in the city.

“Hans?” said Holzendorff.

“Nik...” he replied, “Oh, hi...”

Frowning, she signaled the princess’s bodyguards to keep walking along the rest of the entourage. Paula hardly seemed to notice, but Riwotzki strained to make out some of the words as they separated. His hearing wasn’t what it used to be.

“How long has it been? How’s civilian life treating you?”

“I’m sorry, Nik...you said you would visit if you ever came to Berlin. How long have you been working in the capital?”

“Hans, it’s a big city...I had no idea...”

“I know I can’t compete with the Emperor, but you were my best friend...

“Listen, Hans...” Holzendorff paused, and turned to watch Riwotzki watching them. A murderous glace lasting about an eighth of a second was enough to convince him to catch up with the rest of the party. He swung is cane around and slowly walked away, milking his bad knee as much as he could.
c46i3.png

Prussia will finally have her place in the sun! Will it be an empire just for the monarch's vanity or the first step on the road to greater things? A global approach would risk many dangers but offer many rewards...

Chapter 47: Stepstones
Chapter 47: Stepstones

August 1751

James stared in awe as the falcon skillfully maneuvered downwards, navigating the winds of the Scottish Highlands. The bird landed on the arm of Princess Paula, who gleefully caught it. She was an amazing young woman, he thought, and unfortunately, she was newlywed.

“Well, Lassie, your father makes an intriguing offer.”

A disapproving sniff from Ana, one of Paula’s attendants, reminded him who he was talking to.

“I mean, Princess. Ye are right that Prussia has treated its vassals properly. And ye are right that the British have always wanted to simply annex our land.”

He left unsaid that ever since they lost control of their colony of Canada after losing most of their land to the British, the Scots had been a shadow of their former power. He also left unsaid that they evidently could not defend their realm anymore, after Prussia crushed their military forces swiftly. Scotland’s continental allies of Friesland and the Loraine/Ferrara personal union were forced to fund the war effort, transfer trade and/or become protestant. Ferrara city itself was seized by the Prussians, giving them a foothold in Italy.

“Then you will tell your brother to accept the offer?”

“Aye.”

c47i1.png

March 1752

Friedrich III turned away from the heat of the blast furnace.

“You can look now, Emperor.” said the new advisor, the dutch scientist Lodewijk Karel Coen. Although he would not admit it to anyone, he missed Ratzski. Few men could both resist Friedrich III’s authority and put up with the Emperor’s insults. Also, he was very effective in his job and was doing a decent enough job preparing Paula to rule. His passing was a reminder that time marches on. Mr. Coen was equally as capable at administration, but instead of wasting his time studying dull books of religious superstitions, he had a much more useful specialization.

Smiling, the skinny metallurgist showed the Emperor the freshly produced cannon ball, still red hot but apparently produced in a fraction of the time it would normally take. “The innovations are actually in the manufacturing process. It will take a few years to get everything fully operational, but the coal country up here in Ratibor would be perfect for a large-scale production facility.”

Friedrich III knew it all already; he had read the reports. The speech was mainly for the benefit of the other officials on the tour, so he let his mind wander. Time marched on. Soon he would be a grandfather.

Sabine had wanted to go on a years-long cruise touring the newly acquired Prussian tropical islands: Bermuda, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda. He would have liked to see the isles himself, maybe try to reconnect with Sabine. However, the potential for danger was great and the place for the Emperor was in the Empire. Prussian armies were still needed to help Hamburg finish their latest war against Sweden, and Hamburgers continued to loyally bring their conquests into the Empire. Nik Holtzendorff continued to keep the discipline of the soldiers up, but Freidrich III was drifting away from her as well. Fortunately, he had started a thrilling new affair with Ana, one of his daughter’s friends. With Paula practically immobile as she prepared to give birth, what started as a bored diversion soon escalated into a delightfully deviant series of trysts.

The Emperor’s attention was brought back to the tour when a round of applause signaled the end of Lodwick Coen’s demonstration. Friedrich III could tell that several members of the crowd noticed him grinning during the end of the speech. Thinking it would be better to play up the stupid smile, he happily pretended to be more excited about the demonstration than he actually was.

“Great job, Herr Coen! Marvelous! This is just the sort of innovation the Empire needs!”

c47i2.png

February 1754

Each time the Prussian armies captured Constantinople, there was less remaining of the ancient Theodosian Walls. Though the fortifications stood for centuries until the Ottomans turned their cannons to it, the new landlords had never really rebuilt or improved upon them. The Ottomans had historically preferred to project power offensively, but their decline was continuing. Russia had invited Prussia along for another invasion, and once again Prussians forces had pushed through the Balkans and were able to capture Constantinople and start putting pressure on the Turks.

For General Adolf von Kyau, it was tiresome having to return to the city. He knew the old general von Buhler had been here in a previous siege, but now it was von Kyau’s turn. As the Emperor’s brother-in-law, he was the face of the Prussian army. He did not know where the Emperor got all his wealth from, but the increased income was not making its way to the common soldier. This far out from Berlin, baggage trains faltered and the men forgot the instructions of their commandants. The Prussians began looting and living off the land, bringing shame upon the nation. In von Kyau’s opinion, the von Gersdorffs have once again grown corrupt and cruel. They would neglect the condition of the army at their own peril

c47i3.png

Firstly to state the obvious, that is quite a... surprising Hamburg. The Scottish situation is interesting, will you be aiming to fight a war to reunite Scotland and make a stronger vassal? On the condition that they accept the new Caribbean order of course. ;)

Chapter 48: Three Eternal Cities
Chapter 48: Three Eternal Cities

June 1757

Hans sat down at the restaurant table, almost not recognizing Nik. Although she served openly as a woman in her role as military advisor, she was still capable of altering her appearance. No longer the wearing her usual uniform, disciplined, sharp, that she kept up in public functions, she sat awkwardly in an actual dress. He often wondered how she was able to pass convincingly as male all those years ago, but she had always been good at altering her appearance. One of her brothers was going to be an actor, she told him once, and taught her a few things.

“Hello, Hans. Thank you for agreeing to meet me.”

They had recently reconnected after meeting each other again at the funeral of General Albrecht von Buhler. Whatever her relationship with the Emperor had been, it had been reduced in recent years to a mere professional one.

Hans could work with a professional relationship. While he may have still had some feelings for Nik, he knew he loved his wife and children more. He wore his usual suit, one admittingly a few years out of style. His work in accounting had led him eventually to owning a few businesses.

After exchanging pleasantries, they ordered their meal and as Nik relaxed, she eventually fell back on talking about military matters and geopolitical news.

“Did you hear,” she said, sipping her wine, “That the Russians and Ottomans finally reached an accord?”

He had not. Two years ago, Prussia had reached its own separate peace deal, capturing a swath of territory along the south side of the Carpathians to the recently liberated Wallachia. Prussian diplomats doubtless were hard at work convincing the Wallachians to ally themselves with the Holy Roman Empire, but the Russians were making more progress.

“Well, the Russians have claimed all the rest of the territory bordering Wallachia, encircling them! Constantinople is cut off!”

If the Emperor currently had a love, it was Constantinople. While it may have been a point of pride for the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire to reclaim the ancient capital of the East, it was always going to be isolated. It may have been good for the Emperor’s prestige and vanity, but Hans could see how controlling it benefited Prussia now.

Wishing to remain out of prison, he knew better to speak his opinion of the Emperor. Like all hereditary rulers, he was insatiable in his lust for absolute power. On its surface, the empire appeared to offer many pseudo-democratic councils, from free cities to landtags to the large territory controlled by the republic of Hamburg. However, the closer you got to the center of power, the more they became irrelevant. The Emperor had even recently passed a reform, that while it expanded access to these legislative bodies across the Empire, also gave him veto power over them. All of them. Hans should be as happy as many of his colleagues, as he was now wealthy enough to vote, but it seemed hollow.

“That makes the fortress General von Kyau insisted on building a wise investment,” Hans contributed. Tired of having to blast through the hasty repairs the Ottomans performed on the once-formidable Theodosian Walls, Prussia had gone straight to work providing Constantinople with the most modern fortifications, built with the latest military and material science. With the Russians on one side of the Bosporus and the Ottomans on the others, they had to be ready for anything. He said as much to Nik.

“That’s right...anything,” she leaned in closer. “There might even be action against the Spanish soon.”

“Why are you telling me this?”

“I need more experienced officers on my staff. I know you are organized and trustworthy. You’ll be far from the front lines, I promise.”

Hans shook his head. “Sorry, no. I don’t want anything more to do with war. I paid a half-decent fortune for my son to be exempted from the draft, and if God is good, my daughters won’t show any interest in dressing in uniform.”

“You didn’t mind it back then.”

“You are you. And war is death. I can’t deny my children anything, but I worked hard so that they won’t have to follow our path.”

“Hans, it’s the only life I know. I can keep your family safe, but I need allies at court...”

“Is that what this about? I respect how you chose to live your life, Nik. Please respect how I live mine.”

“Fine, I won’t discuss it anymore,” Nik said, disappointed. “Would you at least join me for some dancing? I love this music...”

Hans was quickly impressed by the how her footwork had improved over the years.

c48i1.png

May 1760

General Adolf von Kyau watched the papal representative and the diplomatic wonderkid Samuel von Cocceji affix their signatures and seals to the final negotiated peace treaty. The representative was one of the few cardinals who did not get killed or flee the city with the Pope. Under the close watch of silent guards, the old cardinal scurried back across St. Peter’s Square. The basilica still bore some damage from when the siege broke, but it was intact enough for von Kyau to use as his headquarters.

The Papal States had come to the aid of their ally, the Catholic powerhouse of Spain. Now they were forced to cede more than half of their territory. Prussia was now in direct possession of a swath of the Italian peninsula from Ferarra to Rome. The Holy Roman Empire was now truly Roman in name. In the mind of the majority Protestant population, the defeat of the papal forces made the Empire Holy as well.

The silence was broken by the dismissive laughter of Colonel Prince Ludwig Karl von Derfflinger, the nephew of the Emperor. His father was a scion of the famed von Derfflinger family, his mother Friedrich III’s own sister. The young man was also one of Adolf von Kyau’s relatives, a second cousin once removed. He had been placed where he was by the combined political might of all three families but was either clueless or thankless for it.

“Well, the Emperor will be pleased with this treaty.” Said von Cocceji. “Princess Paula as well.”

“Why does Paula’s opinion concern us?” snapped Ludwig.

“Silence, Colonel.” Interrupted General von Kyau.

“No, no. The Prince is rightfully curious,” said von Cocceji. “She will be touring Rome soon with the children. It will be a huge public relations procession.”

That was news to von Kyau. While he was sure that little Albrecht and little Sabine deserved a vacation after their father died in the last influenza outbreak, he was frustrated that the Emperor still considered Paula his heir. Prince Ludwig would make a much better ruler than the aloof Paula or either of her weak children.

Unlike Prince Ludwig, he was not foolish enough to voice his dislike of her directly to one the Emperor’s advisors. “I’m sure the children would love the Coliseum. We won’t be able to meet with them, unfortunately. Orders were for us to move to Spain once the Pope surrendered.”

Von Cocceji smiled as he gathered up his documents. “I’ll give them your regards, General. The Prince’s as well.”

As he passed von Kyau on the way out, he whispered. “Good luck in your future endeavors. My services are available, for the right price.”

c48i2.png

November 1761

“Spain will accept the terms of surrender,” said Anna, reading the morning diplomatic report as she sipped her morning tea in her nightgown.

“Good news to wake up to,” said Friedrich III as he lounged in bed. He has been distracted lately and haven’t been able to give the war his full attention. The Empress Sabine had died almost a year ago. They had not been intimate in many years, so when the doctors reported that a venereal disease had killed her he was wasn’t concerned about his own health. He had to coerce them into changing their official report.

Although they had drifted apart as Anna began to occupy most of his attention, he did appreciate Sabine’s energetic style and her influence in Paula and the grandchildren.

“Looks like Prussia has continued to grow” she continued “...Spanish possessions in the Balkans, Italy and France are ceded...Even Paris itself!”

Friedrich III grinned. They called his father a conqueror for subduing the Netherlands. But he had outdone him in just a few years.

c28i3.png

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Sorry for the slow update. It's the busy season at work and I'm in the middle of grad school finals. Haven't even played EU4 in several months, been so busy. I haven't even updated the game from 1.30.4 yet. Watching the same thing unfold as Emperor did last year but worse. Hopefully by the time I have more free time the game will be stable because I was really looking forward to playing a tall NA native.
As for this AAR, a relic from the land of 1.29; it may still be a few weeks before I'm able to update again. But I am looking forward to being able to wrap this project up by the end of the summer.

Chapter 49 - Secrets
Chapter 49 – Secrets

December 1761

Paula walked in a daze back to her quarters in the palace, wondering if what had just happened really happened. She barely paid attention to the bustling servants, fleet-footed Imperial messengers, and burly workmen working on one of her father’s latest redecorating projects.

One minute, she was walking with Anna to meet with her father. Recently, there had been a massive reorganization of the status of several princes in the Empire. The smaller Prussian vassals of Cleaves and Hesse were cut loose, and of Prussia’s recent conquests to the southeast, the states of Silesia, Hungary and Transylvania were restored as Imperial provinces...and direct Prussian vassals. The administrative reshuffling was bound to be unpopular in some quarters, but as Prussia expanded the borders of the Holy Roman Empire the additional autonomy granted to those regions was appreciated by most of the residents. As far as Prussia was concerned, it was a win-win situation as the militant state allowed to focus its administrative energy in future conquests.

Paula had been planning on making a grand diplomatic tour of the new countries once Spring arrived. She had been hoping on seeing many of the birds of the Carpathians that she had only seen in illustrations, and perhaps look into potential future marriage options for her children.

The last thing she had been expecting was news of a different sort of marriage being arranged and was caught completely off-guard when Anna and her father presented her with the news.

They had seemed so happy, but Paula was so revolted that she did not know how to react. Anna had made some joke about always wanting a daughter that was also her best friend. Part of Paula wanted it to be one of her father’s twisted japes...but the expression in his face when he looked at Anna was far too disturbing.

c49i1.png

September 1764

At a secluded villa in northern Italy, Prince Ludwig Karl von Derfflinger dined in silence, listening to the rain. With only a small, trusted entourage he had managed to separate himself from the rest of the army for a couple days. The last time he had been down this way, it was with the late General von Kyau who had recently purchased the estate. Ludwig Karl did not know or care who technically owned the villa now, but only trusted men knew about it.

He heard echoes of something splashing in the downpour, gradually increasing in volume. This was followed by a equine whiney, which then trotted to a halt. Minutes later, the trusted groomsman had secured the horse and led the visitor to the dining room.

“How are you, my Prince.”

“Fine, von Cocceji, fine. And you?”

“Myself? Healthy.”

“And the Emperor?”

“Healthy as well, unfortunately.”

Rumor was that Friedrich III was furious at Bavaria. It had recently defeated Austria in a war and managed to split Austria in two. However, they had also annexed Augsburg while they were at it. The Emperor was furious, but there was little that could be done at the moment.

“And the Emperor is occupied with the reconquest of Pest.”

“He is indeed, my prince. The Prussian vassals are eager to retake their lands in the Balkans, and war against the Ottomans is always popular among the people. Now is not the time to move against him.”

Prince von Derfflinger frowned. He did not like it, but he trusted that von Cocceji knew what he was talking about, even as he did not trust von Cocceji.

“Very well,” added the Prince between bites, “We will change our plans. What about the Prussian Foreign Conscription Centers? Have they been implemented yet?”

“Yes, my Prince. They are proving to be a decent source of potential agents.”

“Good. One more thing...will the Landtag be an issue?” Fredrich III was not as concerned with the politics and inner machinations of the legislature as his ancestors had. While he asserted the authority to override them, he also let them to their own devices. Soon it split into three or four factions that rallied around influential personalities. Debate on issues and policy devolved into petty bickering, rampant bribery and personal grudges.

“The Landtag is noisy but hobbled and tied. A single push can send them in any direction, we just have to choose which. I must return to Berlin now. The invasion of the Ottoman Balkans has meant that our national interests with Russia are now longer compatible.”

“Russia will break the alliance over this?”

“They already have. I’m probably just a few days ahead of the messengers.”

“Then you best hurry. We might be able to use this...”

c49i2.png

December 1769

Ana waited nervously at the appointed location. The canal was frozen over and reflecting the moon back at her, but this was still one of the most secluded locations in the capitol. It was difficult for the Empress to leave the palace unseen, especially with von Cocceji’s agents everywhere.

The man was a clever in his information gathering and would share it with anyone for the right price. She also knew that several people were paying him blackmail, so Ana was careful and secretive in her own processes. Even though Paula no longer friendly and was not speaking to her if it could be avoided, she was taking Ana’s advice to be careful.

The difficult part was avoiding Nikolaus Holtzendorff’s bodyguards. The old woman was loyal to Paula, and her hand-picked guards were shrewd. They thought she was asleep, but would be checking on her soon; she had to hurry and hoped that her contact was not late. Ana had been trying to get Nikolaus replaced with someone loyal to her, but it the older woman just took each threat to her position as a challenge to work even harder.

Ana could respect that. She had taken over running Prussia’s spy networks with relish herself. The Emperor’s eye was starting to wander, as she knew it would one day, so she worked on making herself indispensable. While Prussia was occupied in the Balkans, the former vassal of Cleves was annexed by Munster, Bavaria annexed Augsburg, and many other princes looked at their rivals covetously.

Once the Ottomans were dealt with, a quick occupation and reorganization of the Balkans led to the expansion of the Holy Roman Empire. The political capital gained by the addition allowed the Emperor to enact a new Imperial tax, the Germeiner Pfenning, directly on the population, many of whom previously only owed tax to their local lords and prince. Much of the territory was then returned to Hungary and Transylvania. Transylvania and Pomerania were then released from their vassalage, and new vassals of Croatia along the Adriatic coast and Urbano in Italy were created.

With the situation in the south resolved, Prussia next looked to the west. Ana was pondering the invasion plans when a tapping sound from the shadows drew her attention. Leaning in an alcove, she saw her contact. Disguised as a vagrant, the agent gestured towards a broken barrel fifty feet away. Not looking at her contact again, she continued walking at the same pace towards the barrel. Within was a small bundle of what she knew contained the latest troop positions and assignments that her agents within the British administration, all encoded with a cypher that she herself had devised. She swapped it for one containing the infiltrators’ final instructions before continuing on her way and returning to her bedchamber.

The official declaration of war was to be sent tomorrow after she reviewed the intelligence with her husband and forwarded the final plans to the army posted in Scotland. Britannia may rule the waves, but her knowledge and planning would rule the battlefield.

c49i3.png

(Sorry I am slow with updates - I am plugging away at it just not as much each day as I thought. Finally updated Eu4 to the new version, but I haven't gotten Leviathan. I don't know if I can support that sort of product launch. But I love the NA natives content. Ming game is put aside and I'm currently enjoying a Irish Colonial game and appreciate that the tribes have more staying power. Also I'm not using Leviathan's dev boosting mechanics so the mega cities I hear people complain about aren't a thing (just big dev provinces for migratory tribes that disperse once they reform.) Looking forward to playing another game as a NA native soon! Found out that you can fed provinces to your colonial nation and then it is possible for your colonial nation to trigger a coalition war. I can't intervene in the conflict at this point, and I think my colony could fight it off the AI wasn't brain dead chasing itself in circles. Looking to either start a war of my own with one of the belligerents or wait for my colony to be outseiged and do a reconquest war. Not sure exactly how to play it, love puzzling out situations like that.)

Loosing Russia as an ally is a shame, they are a powerful ace to hold, let's hope the war is worth it.

Do you think the new HRE organisation will give you a chance at pushing all the way the final HRE reform or is that way too ambitious?

Loosing Russia as an ally is a shame, they are a powerful ace to hold, let's hope the war is worth it.

Do you think the new HRE organisation will give you a chance at pushing all the way the final HRE reform or is that way too ambitious?

This was only my third game and Russia still intimidated me. I wasn't keen on fighting them. With the Ottomans shreaded, theres now no one between us anymore, and now I'm right in their expansion path. Fortunately relations would run cold not hot.

As for the second part, stay tuned!

Chapter 50 - London Bridges
Chapter 50 – London Bridges

August 1772

Friedrich III accepted the tea cup from the servant as he listened to his advisors and generals drone on about recent events. He winked at the servant, careful to be sure that only the young man saw him. Fredrich III silently grinned as the servant scuttled from the room, trying to hide his reddening face. The young man was Fredrich III’s new bedroom favorite, but he still missed Anna.

“....the Pope is prepared to yield control over most of Italy.” Continued von Cocceji. There were times that Fredrich III regrated hiring the prodigy, as the man preferred to use his talents to enrich and empower himself. Fortunately, he spent so much time playing the different factions in the Imperial court, Landtag and von Gersdorff family off each other that his meddling was contained.

“And the plan is still to turn those provinces over to Urbino once they have been fully integrated into the Empire?” asked Prince Ludwig Karl von Derflinger. The Emperor’s nephew made no secret of his interests in parceling out land on the Italian peninsula. The ambitious prince was known to utter disparaging comments about Princess Paula and her son Albrecht. However, Fredrich III believed that opportunities for personal wealth and glory in Italy would satisfy his nephew’s ambitions.

“Yes,” added Princess Paula. Friedrich III could see now, years later, how he had hurt her by carrying on an affair with and marrying her close friend. He often forgotten that his daughter was more or less raised by Ratsky and was consequently more uptight that he was. At least, with time, she started talking to Anna enough to take her advice about potential for English spies infiltrating the court. “With Austria accepting peace for money, there is little resistance remaining on the continent.”

“But what about that other war?” interrupted Lodewijk Karel Coen. The scientist was Friedrich III’s age, but looked twice as old. A lifetime of breathing fumes from experimental alloys in the blast furnace had wrecked his body, and his condition deteriorated each year.

Friedrich III tried not to roll his eyes. Lodewijk was referring to an ongoing war between the two former Prussian vassals to the north, Pomerania and Mecklenburg. Both belligerents had allies elsewhere in the Empire, but Prussia had prevented the war from escalating by denying military access to all parties.

Nikolaus Holtzendorff was following the war closely. “Mecklenburg seems to be victorious and will claim one province off Pomerania. Now both duchies are two provinces in size.”

“That would be more equitable, then,” added the eighteen-year-old Prince Albrecht. He had only just started to attend these meetings. Friedrich III thought his grandson was intelligent enough, if a little naive. He was amused by the unique insights that Albrecht would sometimes bring.

“Back to the issue at hand,” said Holtzendorff, “Should these be the final terms that we offer England? The southeast corner of England, London and environs, and the return of the Scottish cores?” Friedrich III was glad that they were able to maintain a professional relationship decades after their affair fizzled out. There may have been some jealousy regarding Anna and resentment towards the Empress for trying to have Nik replaced, but the military advisor was as shocked as the rest of them when Anna turned up dead. Her body was found in a canal less than a mile from the palace, exactly two years ago. He was consumed with solving the mystery of her death. So far, the most promising lead was a hint that she might have been meeting one of her secretive contacts, and now that most of the English Channel was in Prussia’s grasp, he had the luxury of sifting through the contents of the government offices of the city on the Thames.

He had been disinterested in the war lately but was pleased to hear that Prussia was successful once again. Aware that by now his advisors were awaiting his response, Friedrich III spoke for the first time. “I think London looks good this time of year.”

c50i1.png

October 1773

Hans was awoken from an afternoon nap by a knock on the door. He had fallen asleep while reading in in his new home in Brunswick. After his children had left and his wife had died, he had decided to move out of the chaos of Berlin. During his days in the army he had marched from one corner of the Holy Roman Empire to the other, and Brunswick was one of the areas they had passed through the most. As it was halfway between Prussia proper and the English Channel holdings, he had continued to pass through the region periodically throughout his life while on business. With few positive things keeping him attached to Berlin, he decided to move to a happier place for the rest of his years.

Squinting in the faint light, he realized that it was far later in the day than he had originally thought. He had been reading about the events of Hesse annexing Ansbach. Many newspapers believed that Prussia’s efforts to expand were weakening its ability to control the smaller Imperial princes. In addition to conquests in the British Isles, Prussia had made several interesting diplomatic moves in recent years. First, the annexation process was started on Scotland, as it had served its purpose as a beachhead. Then, new alliances were sought. A royal marriage to Hanna von Mansfeld, who would become Friedirch III’s third wife, brought the influence of the electorate of Switzerland closer to supporting Princess Paula’s claim as the next Emperor. Also, Morocco had regained its trust of Prussia and was willing to sign a new alliance as a counter to Spain.

The knocking continued, so Hans made his way to the door. Now that he had realized the hour, it did seem odd for someone to be visiting at this hour. When he opened the door, it was the last person he had expected to see.

“Nik! What the...?”

“Hans! Listen, I only have a few minutes. I need a quick favor.”

“Sure, I’d love to help, but what...”

Before he could finish talking, a large bag was hoisted into his arms. Nearly falling backwards, he placed the bag on a chair before inviting her in. She entered, carrying a second bag, and closed the door behind her after glancing nervously around the quiet dusky town.

“I’d love to stay at catch up, Hans, but I need to continue on to Berlin. The problem is...I don’t trust anyone there.”

Hans opened the bag and saw various books and documents. Nervously, he picked one up, noticing the royal seal of the Plantagenets on the cover. As he flipped through it, he noticed that most of it was in English. He did not know the language, but he recognized several place names, as well as the names of Friedrich III, the late Empress Ana, Princess Paula, Prince Ludwig, Minister von Cocceji, several Prussian generals and prominent politicians, even Nikolaus Holtzendorff herself.

“What are they?”

“State secrets. For either the Emperor or Princess Paula’s eyes only. But I can’t risk taking them into the capital.”

“Sure, I’ll help. But why...” suddenly it clicked, “Who else might be looking for this?”

“No one that would know you. That’s the idea.”

c50i2.png

May 1776

As the Prussian Landtag sat for the new session, the newest representative, Franz Elsner, watched in awe as his fellow delegates took their seats. He had arrived early, as was his right, and wanted to be able to see the faces of each of his colleagues as they entered the chamber at their leisure. He was only 19, and was the youngest member of the Landtag in many years. His grandfather, the late speaker, had impressed upon him all the honors and duties of serving in the Landtag. Now that he had inherited the seat, he intended to uphold his family legacy.

As the Holy Roman Empire expanded, the Prussian Landtag remained a calm, steady core in the middle of the legal system. Both outside of normal Imperial law yet also above it, the nobility continued to look after the interests of the Prussian Kingdom itself.

“I see you made it, my boy,” said a friendly voice. One of his father’s political allies and a frequent presence at the Elsner home, Georg Brilz approached him, shook his hand and had a seat next to him.

Franz nodded in greeting. “How was your meeting with von Cocceji and the Scots?”

“Amusing enough. They were disappointed that they would not receive any representation in the Landtag, but at least they finally accepted annexation....”

Brilz trailed off when he saw another man approaching him. “Elsner, I want you to meet this man. I think you know his son?”

“Frederick Hafter, Herr Elsner,” said the newcomer, extending his hand. “Your grandfather was a legendary legislator.”

Franz knew of Hafter as another legendary legislator, and it was an honor to finally meet him. He did indeed know his son, August, from University. August went into the army rather than politics however and quickly rose to the rank of major. He participated in the most recent war of Imperial Liberation, which lasted less than a year. Prussia had intervened in Ansbach to force them to return unlawful land; in short order Ansbach, as well as its allies of Munster and Pomerania, were quickly sieged down before their largest ally, Austria, could adequately respond. All three were required to pay war reparations, and Muster released Cleves and Ansbach released Hesse and Cologne, restoring more princes to the Holy Roman Empire. As important as the Imperial Diet was, Franz felt that the Prussian Landtag actually had more power.

“Are you going to run for speaker, Herr Hafter?” asked Brilz.

“I haven’t decided. I do know that several of the old military families might run, and of course we are waiting to see if the Emperor doesn’t just decide to appoint someone, as many of his ancestors were wont to do. I am not as tempted by the position as other might be. It is a prestigious but thankless and nearly powerless job.”

“You are the most experienced of us, you’d have our support, right Herr Elsner?”

Elsner tried to keep his expression in check. “You are the most experienced. I will trust you when you say the job is thankless and powerless. You have had a long and commendable career, if you do not think the extra prestige is worth it, I understand. Considering that, some of us are short on prestige and power...”

Hafter chuckled. “Are you serious?”

“Yes. If you are not that interested, I think will run for my grandfather’s old position as speaker.”

“Running for speaker in your first term? Before you’ve even served a full day? Your grandfather was right. You are ambitious.”

c50i3.png

Chapter 51 - Descent of Vultures
Chapter 51 – Descent of Vultures

February 1778

“How fares our emperor?” asked Samuel von Cocceji as the doctor left the bedchamber after attending to his patient.

“Worse,” mumbled the doctor, “Both his mind and his body are ravaged by the disease.”

Trying not to appear that he was listening to the conversation, Albrecht restrained himself from sighing. While the prognosis was bad, it was not unexpected. His grandfather had ruled Prussia with a strong grasp for so long that it was hard to imagine life without him.

Albrecht heard his mother and his sister walk over from the other side of the room.

“Did he say anything about a regency?” asked Princess Paula, perhaps not subtly enough.

The doctor shook his head as he gathered his gear.

“In that case,” said von Cocceji, smiling, “perhaps we should allow more power to the nobles and the Landtag?”

Nikolaus Holtzendorff scoffed. “I bet your friends would like that. Who will get which position? I’m sure you’ll stand to make a fortune under that plan. Forget it; delegate more to the provinces. I know most of the governors, they are loyal Prussians, and know the concerns of their own regions the most.”

This time von Cocceji scoffed. “Don’t accuse me of bribery, witch. You have no evidence. Your upstart officer friends are just waiting for an opportunity to overthrow the civilian power structure...”

“You both forget that I am my father’s heir,” interrupted Paula.

“And you all forget that we are currently fighting the Ottomans in the Balkans,” interjected Prince Ludwig, “We need strong, centralized leadership.”

Albrecht watched in silence as most of the Emperor’s inner circle bickered and argued. His sister Sabine looked embarrassed and the new admin advisor, Michael Cizielsky was pretending to read a theological text. Everyone else, though, was furiously defending their own positions.

The third empress, Hanna, who was only slightly older than Albrecht himself, who had been watching the debate with growing concern on her face. When there was a long enough pause in the discussion, she spoke up.

“Albrecht, what do you think?”

Stunned, it took Albrecht a few seconds to realize that all eyes had turned towards him. Once he found his words, though, his heart calmed down. “With so many esteemed ministers here, the gifted group closest to the king should rule.”

For once, a decision was unanimous.

c51i1.png

February 1782

It would be apt for Friedirch III’s funeral to be held on such a cold day, thought the newly crowned Empress Paula. He was a charismatic but sometimes frightening figure to the people, but distant to his daughter. The long illness had exasperated that, but Paula had spent that time gaining the confidence of the people, particularly the Saxons. However, there was a small minority that opposed her ascension. For now, though, all were paying their respects to Friedrich III. Paula stuck around the cemetery after most of the other people had left. There was another memorial that she wished to visit.

While the Emperor had received full state honors and even his political foes had spoken words of praise, Prussia’s most prominent female soldier, Nikolaus Holtzendorff, had hardly a dozen people at her service several months ago. The clique of generals that made up the inner circle of the military did not miss her, considering her a flamboyant aberration that only rose to power thanks to the favor of Friedrich III. She was surprised to see that there was one other person standing over her grave.

He looked vaguely familiar, a stocky man in his sixties holding a thick folio under his arm. As soon as he saw her, he bowed formally.

“Empress.”

“I did not know anyone else would be visiting Fraulein Holtzendorff.”

“We were....close....your highness.”

They silently reflected upon her grave for a few moments before the man spoke again.

“Empress, Nik...er...Holtzendorff...wanted me to give you these.” He handed the folio to her.

“What is this, Herr...”

“Hans. Just Hans, your highness. Nik delivered these to me several years ago, with the instruction to hold on to them and that I should deliver them to you if anything ever happened to her before she retrieved them.”

“Why didn’t you bring me this sooner?”

“I tried, but I could not get close enough to you officially, not without revealing the existence of these to someone untrustworthy.”

“Why are the important? Why did she want me to have them? Who can’t you trust in the government?”

“Read them, Empress, and all your questions will be answered.”

c51i2.png

Meanwhile, in Friesland

General Wilhelm Fredrich von Bimback inspected the hole in his boot, accepting that not even he was likely to get a new pair with the peacetime army maintenance budget cuts. He had had his opportunity to be the next general of the von Bimback’s to bring glory to the name, pushing the Ottomans out of the Balkans once and for all. They had gone to war on behalf of Prussia’s vassal of Hungary, which desired their ancient lands restored. It was easy to quickly secure the region, separated as it was from the rest of the Ottoman Empire, while the Commonwealth led the other vassals to assault forts in Anatolia and the Moroccans advanced east across the African coast. In the end, the Ottomans were shrunk from two directions and Bimback’s 2ndArmy was sent to Friesland for some rest and relaxation in the midst the of budget cuts.

They had only recently learned of the death of the Emperor, and von Bimback was a little disappointed that he wasn’t asked to attend the funeral. He decided to interpret that not as a personal slight but as a sign of his importance to the chain of command.

“General!” a high-pitched voice yelled out as an officer entered his office.

“Calm down, Colonel. What’s the emergency?”

“It’s Prince Ludwig Karl, sir. He’s here.”

“The prince? He’s not attending his uncle’s funeral?”

“No sir...”

“Then why is he...” von Bimback was interrupted by the familiar echo of distant cannon fire, and the faint, rumbling sound of charging horses. Soon it was joined by the louder, panicked sound of soldiers looking for their weapons and guidance, many of them realizing just now how little ammunition the base had on hand.

Prince Ludwig Karl von Derfflinger’s motives were clear now.
c51i3.png

That was quite the peace with the Ottomons! So many provinces seized from them! It's a shame the domestic situation isn't going as smoothly.

Albrecht seems like a wise fellow, I think he will go far. Let's just hope Prussia can deal with these pretenders.