• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 30 - Small Wars
(The next semester of grad school has started up, so I don't think I'll be able to maintain a pace of two updates a week. One update a week is probably going to be more realistic for the next few months. This AAR has turned out to be a larger narrative than I originally envisioned, with multiple weeks required to summarize the events of one evening's play session. When I write my next one there will be several campaigns to choose from! Meanwhile, in Saxe-Lauenurg things are going fine. My ruler managed to live to be 77 or 78, just long enough to vassalize Lubeck and dissolve their trade league. Not only that, he outlived his useless son and saw a far more average grandson follow him. On pace to eventually form Hanover. I was also the second country to embrace Protestantism (first was Croatia of all places). That may have hindered my expansion in the short term as I now have a different religion penalty with the rest of the empire and Castile is DotF, but I'm having fun. Now, on to the timeline that actually is being written about here: )

Chapter 30 – Small Wars

May 1663

The distant rattling of keys, and many footsteps, very quiet at first but gradually getting louder, stirred Duke Johann VI from his vacant trance in his secure but well-furnished prison cell. As it sounded like a fairly large party, Johann jumped to his feet and quickly smoothed out his hair and clothes.

The door opened to reveal his Brother-in-law, Emperor Friedrich Wilhelm II. He did not look happy, as Johann expected, but the rage that was present when he threw him into this cell was long faded. Based on the passage of seasons, Johann knew less than a year had passed.

“Well, Johann,” said the Emperor, “Your sister has convinced me to grant a pardon for your little treason.”

A young man standing behind the Emperor scoffed. Johann recognized him as Emil von Gersdorff, Friedrich Wilhelm’s nephew. The Emperor did not turn to face Emil, but a brief flicker of exasperation crossed his face.

“It isn’t the first time I’ve pardoned a family member,” he continued tersely, “but I have to ask you, what were you thinking?”

Johann struggled to find the words. In truth, he hadn’t been thinking. When the Duke of Pomerania launched his bid to declare independence from Prussia, Johann had found himself shamed into honoring his alliance to the neighboring duchy. He had been assured that it was same for two small countries to take of Prussia, as support had been secured from a couple of Prussia’s rivals. However, it was not long after the declaration of war before Prussian troops were besieging him, and he was thrown into this cell before he had known what was going on. He stumbled and stammered to explain himself, but the Emperor cut him off.

“Well, your friends in Pomerania have all been beheaded. The British never set foot off their island, and the Pope’s forces were intercepted soon after they crossed the Alps. I don’t know why you thought they would help you. That calculation was...”

“Stupid?” interjected Johann.

“Yes! So we do agree! Don’t worry, because you were only honoring your word, I’m not as angry. But that just means that I expect you to honor your words with me. Get yourself cleaned up; you will dine with us tonight, then we must prepare to march west...”

c30-1.png

January 1666

Friedrich Wilhelm II was glad to finally survey the land from the top of the fortress of Koln after a high-attrition siege that lasted into the winter. Alfred Armin was one of the casualties of the climate, but Kirk Finck stepped into to replace him as the chief military advisor. Already the results of the Finck’s disciplined approach were apparent; the rowdy rabble who once ran roughshod over Poland were slowly replaced with a more professional force more suited for internal empire police actions.

Over the winter they also lost his mother, Aniela, at the age of 77. Friedrich Wilhelm II was saddened at not only her death, but because he never could make up for how his father mistreated her. He was still trying to find a place for Anna and Emil, but if they distanced themselves from the rest of the family there was only so much he could do.

Although this campaign kept him away from Berlin and his family, it was nice to spend a few Christmases among the army. The new discipline of the soldiers kept drunken revelry in check. Many of them were talented singers and traditional carols rooted them in their divine purpose. And, unlike the cities, there was not a Christmas tree to be found.

However, the purpose of the campaign was finally complete. Over the course of two sequential wars, Berg was pried from Munster, and Koln from Cologne. He had focused on taking the war targets, turning his attention to one of Munster or Cologne’s allies only if they also practiced a heretical religion.

However, other actors in the HRE always tended to take advantage of moments when Prussia’s military was engaged elsewhere for any significant length of time. Magleburg took over Anhalt, and Austria had annexed the remnants of Bohemia. Friedrich Wilhelm II cursed himself for beating them so thoroughly that they stood no chance against a third party. Austria would have to be sorted out eventually, but at least Prussia now had a foothold in the western portion of the Empire.

c30-2.png

May 1668

“And that, my Prince, is the essence of mathematics.” Manfred Blankensee said. He was a jovial Saxon polymath who had been brought to court due to his skill with numbers and finance. He had risen to fill the role of chief administrative advisor after the death of Denis Zitzwitz. The ongoing construction of a new textile manufactory was his main project, but he also made himself valuable as a tutor to the royal children, teaching them about mathematics, science, commerce and administration.

“I think I understand now, Mr. Blankensee.” replied young prince Friedrich. He was a kind-hearted boy; when he came to the throne, Prussia would be in more peaceful hands.

“Good,” replied Blankensee. “Finish your homework by tomorrow. I have a meeting with your father.”

The young lad politely left. As soon as he was out of the room, Manfred gathered up some documents from a locked drawer in his desk and exited the room himself. Outside the Emperor’s study, he met his colleague Kristupas Lubranski, a diplomat who joined the cabinet about the same time he did. His predecessor was the patriarch of the Finck family, who suffered a stroke and had to step down.

He barely had time to great his colleague before the door opened and the Emperor’s voice called them in.

“You’re both here, good,” the voice said, “We have important matters to discuss.”

After the door was closed behind them, Manfred presented the documents he had been carrying to Emperor Friedrich Wilhelm II.

“Here they are, your majesty. Legal land claim documents provided by our spies.”

“And they will pass muster?”

“Absolutely. The Dutch will naturally be suspicious of them, but they do appear to be authentic. There are a number of differences between the layout between the standard Imperial land deeds and those that are used in the Netherlands. Most amateur forgers overlook those differences, but these are indistinguishable.”

“Excellent,” said the Emperor, as he locked the documents away, “Lubranski, have you reviewed that request from Duke Johann VI?”

“I have.”

“And your thoughts?”

Kristupas Luranski took a deep breath. “Well, he is rightly being shunned by the other Princes as punishment for rebelling.”

“I agree. He has a lot of nerve requesting help from us. He has only his own foolishness to blame. What do you think, Blankensee?”

Manfred was taken aback. “Emperor, surely Lubranski knows more about this situation than me. I am not a diplomat.”

“Nevertheless, I want your opinion.”

“Well, Johann VI is a fool, but Mecklenburg itself need not be punished. I understand they are having trouble negotiating trade deals. It would be just a small effort for one of our diplomats to lend them a hand, especially as we need to keep Mecklenburg happy and on our side.”

The Emperor sighed. “Gentlemen, I grew up without much of a family. Now, I am blessed to have a large one, but they come with more problems. A sister that barely talks to me. Trying to find marriage matches for willful teenagers. And all the treachery... I wish they could be as disciplined as the army.

“You’re right, Blankensee. We can’t afford to further alienate Mecklenburg as a whole. Lubranski, send a diplomat to aid them.”

c30-3.png

Conquests in the west, excelent. Things are going well indeed, the need for a huge wAAR with Austria is hardly any shock, that is inevitable for any Prussia game. :p

Austria and Netherlands are allies now...will that make it easier or harder to neutralize them? Stay tuned...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 31 - Dutch Reckoning
Chapter 31 Dutch Reckoning

December 1672

A small party of generals and officials watched the fighting wind down in the city of Magdeburg, smoke rising from dozens of small fires. It was a tidy little war, wrapped up by Christmas. In Gebhard Briesen’s opinion, a perfect demonstration of the power of the Prussian military machine. Scant months ago, a careless delegation from Magdeburg had been overheard spreading treasonous rumors about the parentage of the Emperor. Outraged by this disgrace, an army thirty thousand strong descended on the small principality. Led by the young general Horst Schach, the Magdeburgian force was all but slaughtered.

Next to him, the crown prince, the younger Friedrich Wilhelm gazed upon the devastation in horror. He had lost the contents of his stomach several times during the battle. The boy was far from the action, both physically safe and spared the close sight of gore. He needed to be toughened up. Eighteen years old, already a married man (having wed one of the Russian czar’s daughters to renew Prussia’s alliance with them), he should be demonstrating more Prussian courage. This softness of him was why Gebhard Briesen took control of his education. The Emperor was adamant that his heir at least be able to keep up the appearance of a model soldier.

Manfred Blankensee was fired, his Saxon ways no longer polluting the young prince. But in truth, Gebhard was gunning for the diplomatic position. He was able to demonstrate that he was able to provide equivalent work to Kiristupas Lubranski but at a cheaper price, so he displaced both men. It was a lot of work, both guiding the heir and standing up for Prussia’s reputation.

After the diplomatic insult, Magdeburg was reminded that their independence was only guaranteed by the grace of the Emperor. As such, Anhalt was released from their dominion. The actions of the Prussian forces under General Schach made as strong a statement as any on the international stage.

Kurt Finck had transformed the army into a much more disciplined force, and the introduction of dissatisfied Austrian officers been worth the cost. Gebhard was suspicious of untrustworthy Austrians that defected so readily, but they had introduced a bit of professionalism to the army and pulled their weight.

In fact, this whole little conflict was really more of a live-fire exercise than a true war. For many years now, the Republic of the Netherlands had been challenging Prussian authority, and they had allied the other major troublemaker, Austria. War was inevitable, the only question was when.

c31i1.png

September 1674

Fredrich Wilhelm II had been up all night doing paperwork for several weeks in a row. He had finally figured out where the ancient forms were that allowed him to add provinces to the Holy Roman Empire, and quickly added all the provinces in the east that Prussia had acquired since the fall of the Commonwealth. It was not quite enough authority to start passing reforms again, but he had laid the foundations for his son to follow him.

The younger Friedrich Wilhelm was a mild young man, and his father’s hopes that a small police action against Magdeburg would season him came up short. He was pleased with Kurt Finck and Gebhard Briesen’s assessment of the readiness of the Prussian army as a whole though. The performance was good enough that he had approved the raising of additional regiments; they would need them soon.

His second child, Vera, was already missed at court. She had married the Duke of Ansbach, and Fredrich Wilhelm II was already pressuring his new Son-in-Law for diplomatic support. Marriages would then have to be arranged and performed for each of his other children in turn. Although the cost of so many weddings made him cringe when he looked at the numbers, the von Gersdorff fortune was vast enough to cover it.

The invasion of the Netherlands was nearly ready. They had tough allies in Austria and Ming, but Friedrich Wilhelm II was patiently waiting for the right moment to strike. Among other preparations, he was working to secure new allies; the city of Bremen was inclined to sign up. There was one more major piece of paperwork that he needed to finish.

For a few weeks, he had been wondering what exactly he was going to put on the document under his sister Anna’s name. He had some inkling on what he was going to include in her section, but it needed to be worded perfectly to avoid dispute. Opening a large legal manual to a section on vassal obligations, he dipped his pen in the inkwell and carefully began filling in the empty space of this draft on his will and testament.

c31i2.png

April 1676

Horst Schach whistled as he polished his helmet in his tent at the army camp in Ruppin. Admiring his distorted reflection, he took the helmet under his arm and exited the tent into the warm morning sun. Nearby sentries and passing officers saluted him.

Today was an auspicious day. After years of preparation, the invasion of the Netherlands was ready. His orders were to take two thirds of Prussia’s forces and try to split the enemy’s territory by taking Gelre first. The Emperor himself would command the other third behind the Prussian fortification line to defend against Austrian counter-invasions until Russian reinforcements arrived. The crown prince was ready for military command, but he would be waiting in reserve.

The presence of Ming as an enemy would be a concern, but the plan relied upon them getting bogged down in Asia crossing the vast Russian territories. Ansbach would not be joining them for this war, as they were involved in a different conflict entirely between Bavaria and France, and Bremen was a new ally and had insufficient favors to call upon. But Hamburg and Russia were strong allies ready to join the fight, and Switzerland was positioned to at least be a distraction.

Taking his horse from a lieutenant, he mounted the trustworthy animal and placed the shiny helmet on his head. Some of the regiments were already starting to march east, and others were still disassembling the camp and loading wagons. Every man knew what was expected of him. Once his subordinate officers joined him, he spurred on his horse and galloped towards the front.

c31i3.png

I would think the presence of Ming as an enemy would be more than just a cause for concern!

I am starting to remember more details about this war. They were far away and Russia was slowing them down, but it was a race to get the war score racked up before they arrived.

Meanwgile, in contemporanpus games ..Things are progressing in Saxe-Laudenberg. Was building up pretty good, but then I got in a PU war with Poland. They were fighting Muscovy at the time, so I thought I could risk it. Nope. They were satisfied for me to release all nations and drop all vassals, but I crawled back up again. Deja Vu.

I've also been working on a new title page if you havent seen it yet

Chapter 32 - Return of the Ottomans
Chapter 32 – Return of the Ottomans

May 1679

General Horst Schach was dismayed as he lead the army back from the Netherlands and into Prussia. He felt like they were building momentum. The smaller enemies of Leige and Nurmeburg were taken out of the war first, Prussia settling for war reparations (and converting to protestant if applicable). While he had managed the main assault, small groups of mercenaries were playing cat-and-mouse, sieging down isolated areas of Austria. He had heard that scouts had spotted some Ming forces that had broken though Russia and were nearly across Ottoman territory, but in his opinion it was not time to end the war just yet.

An agreement was signed forcing the Netherlands to pay steep war reparations and end their domination over Gelre and Oldenburg. It could be counted as a victory, and the soldiers rightfully were glad to march home victorious.

Up ahead, he saw a figure on horseback. As it approached, he saw that the rider wore the uniform of a royal courier.

“Sealed message from the Emperor, sir.” The rider said once he reached the general. “Your eyes only.”

“Thank you. Tell the Emperor that his armies will soon return victorious.”

“Sorry, sir. I have to ride on to Brunswick; there are others who need to know.”

“Know what?”

“Your eyes only, sir.” Yelled the rider as he spurred his horse and began darting past the steadily marching soldiers towards the southwest, over a rise of a hill, and out of view.

Curious, Horst opened and read the message. In the context of the intelligence reports summarized within, his orders now made sense; the army would indeed return to Berlin, but there would not be much of a rest for them.

c32i1.png

June 1679

“Sister, I’m glad you agreed to meet with me.” Said Friedrich Wilhelm II as he led Ana into the private meeting room.

“I go where my Emperor commands.” She said flatly.

“I did not ask you here as the Emperor, but as a brother. Even if you don’t feel any affection towards me, it is a matter of family business. My father did mother wrong by Danzig. Your father, too.”

“Why are you bringing him into this?”

He handed her a copy of his will. “Danzig. They pressured her to let it be annexed. She resisted. I want to make that right. It was going to wait until after my death, but I had a change of heart and decided to gift it now now.

“I don’t know what to say,” said Ana, reading. “It says here that Danzig shall be a march, as well.”

“You would be required to maintain a larger standing army, but it would provide some security against being annexed again by any of my heirs.”

“It also says here that Danzig shall also be a principality within the Holy Roman Empire. How is that independence?”

“It secures your independence. If you were not part of the Empire, you would be at the mercy of Russia or the Ottomans.”

“That’s an odd way to phrase it. But I accept.”

“Splendid. I am also releasing Lithuania as a small principality as well.”

“Sounds like a plan. Take care...brother.”

After she left, he exhaled. She apparently hadn’t heard the news. It was rumored that the Ottomans were planning on invading, and recent troop movements near the border had alerted him that a strike was imminent. He had rushed to reach a peace deal with the Netherlands and to release some more vassals. He would have liked more time to prepare, but everything that could be in place was in place.

c32i2.png

August 1682

“Have a safe trip back to Mecklenburg, Joanna. We enjoyed your visit.”

Joanna von Blixen smiled and hugged her aunt Hannelore. She had enjoyed the visit as well, finding the court of Friedrich Wilhelm II to be a friendly and welcoming place. It was not at all what she had expected, as the name Friedrich Wilhelm invoked terror among the Prussian vassals. The Emperor Friedrich Wilhelm II was out of town at the moment and could not join the rest of the family in wishing her well, but he had given her his best two days ago.

“Oh, you have all been such gracious hosts,” replied Joanna. She then hugged her cousins Anna and Hildegard, who had grown up into wonderful young women and been her companions for much of her visit to Prussia. She missed their older sister Vera, who was now in Ansbach (and her new husband had dishonored the call to arms to defend Prussia, so there was some tension there) and their brother Hans who was just old enough to serve in the army.

Her other cousins Friedrich and Georg were also present to see her off, and she said her goodbyes to them next. Georg, who had not shown the same interest in the military as his brothers, recently became the next member of the von Gersdorff family to assume the role of Speaker of the Landtag. The former speaker, the venerable Manfred von Seel, had died quietly while the Landtag was in session, allegedly in the middle of one of the stateman Gebhard Briesen’s self-congratulatory speeches.

Joanna’s eldest cousin, the crown prince Friedrich, fortunately was also able to find the time to see her off, and had brought his son, the baby Friedrich. His wife, Anastasia of Russia, did not survive childbirth. He was a very kind-hearted soul, and the loss of Anastasia last year had left him dour and melancholy. The war with the Ottomans had also been effecting him. He had a since of being worn down by death but was always friendly in her presence.

She waved goodbye one last time as her carriage left the Imperial palace. The war against the Ottomans had been dragging on for years, but movement seemed to be going in Prussia’s way. The bulk of the Ottoman’s forces were tied up in Russia, and the Prussians and their other allies were able to push east again. Prince Friedrich had mentioned something about an upcoming change in strategy. As the carriage rolled along and her relatives vanished out of sight, she hoped that it would work and Turkish invaders pushed back so Mecklenburg’s small army could enjoy the privilege of returning home as well.

c32i3.png

(I don't remember how I noticed the Ottomans were attacking. I may have been tipped off by a ruler trait. I may have noticed troop movements and gotten suspicious. I may even have savescummed to give me just enough time to peace out Netherlands and form a few vassals. Either way, I had to wrap things up with the Netherlands early. At least there are now 4 more princes in the Empire! Reforms are coming, promise!

Meanwhile, in my current game, I formed Hanover and am doing quite nicely. Killed Lubeck trade league again, sniped most of Jutland when Denmark went bankrupt. However I should have stayed neutral when the religious leagues formed. Out of manpower and the AI triggers the league war while I was in another war. Ottomans are on the protestant's side but Austria, Bohemia, Poland, France, Brandenburg are all on Catholic side. I may have to just hide behind my forts and ride it out. I do dig the Hanovarian mission tree! PU CB on England is a nice thing to work towards, but AI England is a failure in this game. Scotland owns over half of Great Britain, France part of the south coast, and AI Leinster is one province away from forming Ireland on its own.)

I'm glad to see the creation of more HRE states, and I'm sure Ana is too! It's, of course, a a shame the war with Holland was distrupted but these things happen.

In your other game, well done Leinster!

Chapter 33 - Noble Heart, Sweet Prince
Chapter 33 – Noble Heart, Sweet Prince

July 1683

Friedrich Wilhelm stared blankly ahead at the captain, whose lips were moving furiously. Friedrich’s ears had been ringing for an indeterminate amount of time, but the noise eventually faded and he was able to somehow make out the captain’s words.

“I said, sir, can you hear me?”

Although he could make out what the captain was saying, he was unable to bring himself to move his own lips. He had lost track of time, the world had been a blur of movement, screaming, smoke, dust, mud, blood and death. For who knows how many days, he had been firing away at Ottoman forces.

A few months prior, all of Prussia’s forces congregated and combined before spitting in two. His father had ordered him to take the northern force into Ottoman territory just as their forces were returning from the Russian theater to uncarpetseige the Poland area. He had started mowing down smaller armies and isolated units, knowing that this would be his chance to prove the value of the military education that he teachers Manfred Blankensee and Gebhard Briesen had instilled in him.

Horst Schach was supposed to lead the southern detachment which included the allied forces, and make a direct assault towards Constantinople. However, due to logistical problems, Horst was unable to reach the army before it left. He quickly arranged for a mercenary unit to escort the general to the other army. Friedrich hoped that he caught up with it; without him, Emil was in charge.

Friedrich knew his job was a distraction, so he kept up the attack even as more and more Ottoman forces piled on. The superior morale, discipline and tactical ability of the Prussians maintained excellent kill ratios on the vastly more numerous Ottomans. Soon, he became numb to the slaughter. He hadn’t lost his lunch at all during the process, but he was eating less while the army was on the move.

Eventually, though, the Ottoman general Yusuf Karamanli took the field, and more and more Ottoman detachments poured in from more directions. Even the Prussians’ resolve had a limit, and lines were starting to break down. Friedrich looked the captain in the eye, and saw the fear that lay behind the disciplined mind. He found that part of his soul that felt others pain, and, was able to find the ability to speak.

“Sorry, Captain,” he said, “It’s hard to hear over these cannonballs.” On cue, another one exploded a few hundred yards away, much farther away than the previous one that had rattled his nerves.

“The enemy is bringing more artillery from the southwest. Our front line is thinning. The men are...”

“That should be enough, Captain. Let get those cannons hitched up and signal a general retreat.”

“Yes, sir. But...”

“Was I not clear?”

“No. But...you’re wounded.”

Friedrich followed the captain’s eyes to his left arm, which was bleeding from some shrapnel. As soon as he saw the wound, he felt the pain of it and lost his footing. Fortunately, someone was there to catch him.

“I may need...help with my horse.”

c33i1.png

February 1684

“Father!” exclaimed the Prince from his bed, “Thank you for coming down here to see me!”

“I’ve heard from the doctors that you are starting to be more coherent,” said the Emperor Fredrich Wilhelm II. He had not been sleeping well these last few months while his son recovered, slipping in and out of consciousness. The only time he could take his mind of his son’s suffering was when the war needed his attention.

“You...aren’t mad?”

“Why should I be mad? You made it back alive. Barely, but alive.”

“We lost...we had to run...”

“You bought the time needed. The war is won.”

“So General Schach was able to reach Constantinople?”

“No. Fresh regiments of new Ottoman recruits heading north cut him off from joining the main army. Emil was able to pull off the siege and force the Sultan to terms.”

“Emil? I don’t believe it. No way he’s the hero.”

“Emil is not anything special, but he was technically in charge. As for heroes...wait until you go outside, son. Although you ultimately had to retreat, the people are talking about long how you held on under fire and still manage to lead several thousand men back alive.”

“I was barely conscious of the ride back.”

“You still led them. The troops all talk about how you insisted that other wounded received attention before yourself. Some people may mistake your kindness for weakness, but you showed that kindness wins loyalty.”

The younger Fredrich sighed. The Emperor could see that despite the bravery he had demonstrated, the loss of so many lives still weighed on him.

“Consider the peace that you helped win,” said the Emperor, trying a different approach, “Not only are they paying significant reparations to us thanks to their control of the eastern trade routes, but they returned the Imperial provinces they controlled to Austria.”

“Why are we helping Austria?”

“They are part of the Empire too, remember. Plus, Yusuf Karamanli followed you back into Prussian territory and we were running out of suitable men of fighting age. A quick peace deal was preferable to the perfect peace deal. Returning provinces to the empire was more important than us owning them directly, and being able to get as much money as we could out of the Ottomans was also important.”

“If it was for the best...I guess it was worth it.”

“It was. Prussia will be in good hands in the future.”

c33i2.png

August 1684

Watching the grandchildren play in the late summer sun, Hannelore was grateful for a generous life that had given her a large family and the power of the Holy Roman Empire. The recent victories against the Netherlands and the Ottomans were bringing in enough gold to revitalize the Prussian economy.

Yet time passed, and with it many people she had known over the years. A sister had died back in Mecklenburg, the old guard in the council had given way to younger men, and even the handsome young Ottoman sultan did not long survive the shame of his misguided invasion of Prussia. He had been assassinated, and his wife Fatim Baye ruled as regent.

She was glad to see that her children were finding their places in the world. Her son Friedrich was turning into just the man the Empire needed for the years ahead and was popular with the people. She did not approve that he had taken a mistress. With the succession assured for another generation with his own son also named Friedrich Wilhelm, though, there was no rush for him to marry again.

Perhaps he was superstitious about going though such heartache again, perhaps he wanted to spare the small child from having to lose another maternal figure. Hannelore wished that her son understood that death was a natural part of life, but she probably felt the same way at his age. There would be no sparing them from grief forever, as her most recent visit to the court physician reminded her. It was important to be grateful and enjoy life while one could.

c33i3.png

I'm glad to see the creation of more HRE states, and I'm sure Ana is too! It's, of course, a a shame the war with Holland was distrupted but these things happen.

In your other game, well done Leinster!

I feel like I've been waiting for decades for the Lienster/Franco/Scots alliance to gang up on England again. At least Lienster is a minor colonial power now with several African provinces and a colonial nation in Canada almost ready. As Hanover I allied Lienster, so I might be able to help them form Ireland, but it would be really cool if they managed to pull it off on their own. As Hanover I've been growing slowly, got beat down, and came back up again. Control most of my immediate area except Hamburg and Bremen, sniping free cities is tricky. Took Newfoundland off Friesland, even if I had to sit on 90%ish war score for a few years so I could upgrade my tech to get it into coring range. Commonwealth is the big bully in this run; they had Hungary, Mecklenburg and Austria as PUs (and annexed all but Austria). Austria also got the Burgundian Succession, so they have influence all over the HRE.

Last edited:
I'm very proud of the young prince holding the line against the Ottoman menace. He will be a great warrior king, just what Prussia will need!

I hope Austria will be properly grateful for the lands they received in the peace settlement but I doubt it.

Chapter 34 - Supression
Chapter 34 - Supression

October 1685

“Gentlemen,” announced the alderman Hieronymus Roth, “Thank you for attending this meeting. This is technically an illegal council, according to Friedrich Wilhelm II. He thinks that Konigsberg should not have a say in the governance of Prussia. Absurd! There is no Prussia without Konigsberg!”

The crowd responded with a patriotic roar, and Roth built on their energy.

“The Burghers won’t sit idly by and watch our rights be trampled. Weeks ago, we sent the Emperor a demand that he make some concessions or we would appeal to the Sultina Fatim Baye for protection!”. It was a bluff, as the Ottomans were in no position to render aid. Not only were they still reeling from their misguided invasion of Prussia, but they had started warring with Russia again.

“While we still mourn the Empress Hannelore, that is no excuse for the malevolent ways of Friedirch Wilhelm II. He has dropped alliances with countries that he deemed too weak, even after some of them fought at our side. He had raised our taxes and asserted absolute authority.”

“Curse Friedrich Wilhelm II!” yelled someone in the crowded room, “He’s no king of mine!”

Roth knew that he had them now. “Gentlemen, after several weeks here is his response.” He unsealed the envelope that he had been waving around in one hand during his speech and read the document inside.

“He has rejected our demands. Gentlemen, you know what that means.”

Several dozen men cheered and, those who had weapons on them brandished them into the air. Full of vigor, they marched outside to where their allies awaited, particular men drawn from the Burghers across Prussia. They had barely gotten organized, however, when gunshots echoed through the air as the rebellious regiments almost immediately started fighting with Prussian regular troops. What were they doing here already?

As the rebel’s lines collapsed, Hieronymus Roth watched in stunned silence as Friedrich Wilhlem II himself, still sitting straight on his horse despite his age, as disciplined as ever. Roth started to flee himself, but it was too late. The Emperor had spotted the errant alderman, and before he could run far Hieronymus found himself tackled to the ground by some soldiers and placed in shackles.

c34i1.png

May 1687

Fredrich Wilhelm II could feel the pangs of arthritis as he held the reins of his horse as his army marched into Plock. He barely even grimaced, the discipline that had been drilled into him all life not permitting him to show any discomfort. He asked his men to maintain formation as long as they still had legs to stand on, so it would be improper for him to yield to lesser discomforts.

The dichotomy between his private life and his life as a ruler still disturbed him, the things that he did for Prussia did not earn him much love. He had offered Hieronymus Roth a pardon if the rebellious alderman would simply declare an allegiance to the von Gersdorff regime, but the stubborn man chose to die in prison rather than bend the knee. It was not the only recent death in his life that haunted him. He had recently buried his friend Kurt Finck. He still mourned over his wife Hannelore but was grateful how she taught him what family was. He was grateful that among his six children he could count on them having military skills, political skills and parental skills; he now had four grandchildren and growing.

Fortunately, there were less than 300 Prussian casualties in the most recent military operation to annex the last remaining holdout of the Commonwealth government. It was also a quick operation, lasting just a little over a month. A warning from the Ottomans had long kept Prussia from finishing off their old enemy, but after they fell into another war with Russia Fredrich Wilhelm noticed that no one would stop the Prussian army from just walking in.

c34i2.png

December 1687

Not even almost a foot of snow could dampen the holiday spirit in Berlin as Christmas neared. This year, more Christmas trees and decorations were out than ever. Although the Holy Roman Empire was still mourning Emperor Friedrich Wilhelm II, who had caught a chill on the march back from Plock, there was a certain sense of relief amongst the revelers.

The new Emperor, Fredrich Wilhelm III, was aware of this. He did not blame his subjects; his father had a frightful reputation. He was not as feared as his grandfather was, if certain stories could be believed, but he was demanding of his subjects. They deserved to celebrate Christmas openly again now that he was gone.

Friedrich Wilhelm III was always good at empathizing with others. He was not a great charmer like his brother Hans, nor was he that knowledgeable about the inner workings of government, like his brother Georg was. He excelled at military matters, as was to be expected of a Prussian king, but he was popular with the people for feeling their pain and joining in their losses. He knew the price of warfare in a way that many of the old guard did not.

He was concerned that some might confuse his kindness for weakness. Austria had decided to issue an embargo and lock out Prussian merchants just as he was coming to the throne. Apparently liberating Imperial provinces with Austrian cores wasn’t appreciated. As much as he wished to avoid it, he probably would have to get involved in at least some wars during his reign. Perhaps one day mankind would be able to move beyond destructive conflicts. In the meanwhile, it would suffice to celebrate family and salvation on the holiday devoted to the birth of the true Prince of Peace.

c34i3.png

I'm very proud of the young prince holding the line against the Ottoman menace. He will be a great warrior king, just what Prussia will need!

I hope Austria will be properly grateful for the lands they received in the peace settlement but I doubt it.

Nope! I wish there was more nuance in the relationship between rivals.

In finishing off the Commonwealth, apparently up until this point I was under the impression that you could not fabricate a claim on a OPM.

Meanwhile, in my Hanover game I think the motto is "I get knocked down but I get up again." I've lost twice to the Commonwealth when I underestimated them and twice to coalitions that I triggered. After the most recent I left the Empire before a coalition made me release a bunch of nations, under the theory that there would be less AE if I reconqured that way and everyone in the Empire hated me anyway. I got most of that land back, but I wasn't expecting Brandenburg to grab some of it. Now I am trying to sabotage Bohemia and the Palatinate's (current emperor) reputation so that Brandenburg becomes emperor, because if I want that land back I'll have to fight the emperor either way. Once Imperialism hits though I'm sure I'll find lots of loosely guarded clay around the world.

Leinster has started the invasion of the Pale to get their last bit to form Ireland, and dragged Scotland and myself into it. Unfortunately, England, despite being reduced to less than half their size, still had their best developed lands and were able to field a large army and is wrecking Scotland. Leinster occupies the land they need, but their army is now on Great Britain proper and vulnerable. I am trying to land troops but I don't have enough ships right now to fight or even distract England's navy right now...we'll see how it goes. I am more interested in the fate of Leinster than Hanover at this point.

UPDATE: I managed to get a few troops to Ireland by getting fleet basing from France and dodging the english doom fleet, then marched over the straight and seiged down one province and then deployed some mercs there to even up the numbers and win. We now have Ireland! And in ten years, I think London would be better off in my glorious empire...

Last edited:
Chapter 35 - Big Plans
(Sorry for the delay! It's been a busy couple of weeks.)

Chapter 35 – Big Plans

February 1688

Janina enjoyed the feeling of the wind as she rode her horse across an empty field, most of the snow from last week already melting. Lost in the moment, she realized that her husband was no longer following her. She slowed her horse and looked over her shoulder and saw him talking to an Imperial messenger. She had been hoping for a quiet afternoon of riding with him alone, but when you marry the Holy Roman Emperor there never really any time alone. It seemed like a random Imperial functionary was never more than a few steps away, always ready to interrupt with one piece of Imperial business or another. In the period between the coronation and the wedding, there was one embarrassing incident where someone had walked in while the two of them were bathing together.

Scandal was ultimately preventing by suppressing the rumors, but the two of them had to become more discrete afterwards. Now that they were married at last, they did not have to concern themselves with maintaining such propriety. It still doesn’t mean that she had to like it when Imperial business interrupted. She trotted back to where her husband was talking to the messenger, but by the time she arrived he had been dismissed.

She saw that there was a dejected expression on Fredrich Wilhelm III’s face. “What is it, Sweetie? More illegal land that you can’t convince the Princes to return?”

“No,” he replied, “It’s Vera.”

Janina frowned. His sister, like his mother, never approved of her relationship with him. They had seemed to think that they were dishonoring the memory of Friedrich Wilhelm III’s first wife. However, their son, the fourth to carry the name Friedrich Wilhelm, took a liking to her. Vera was far away in Ansbach, though, and was excused from traveling to Berlin for the wedding. Friedrich Wilhelm III preferred a more modest ceremony than his first wedding, with a small circle of guests and his brother Hans as first man. It was not the sort of imperial wedding the social-conscious nobility of the Empire would have preferred, but the Emperor’s wish cannot be denied.

“Ansbach will not be providing the administrative support we need. Father was right. I don’t have the administrative or diplomatic skills to run the Empire.”

Janina bit her lip. As far as administrative skill went, she was even more clueless than he was. She did know how to charm her way through the Imperial court though and was having some success winning over the royal family. A match was made between Fredrich Wilhelm III’s brother Hans and a daughter of the vassal of Hesse. Friendships were nurtured with the younger sisters. She thought that Vera might be amenable at last considering the pressing need to increase Prussia’s stability in the wake of her father’s death.

“Forget about the Empire.” She said lovingly, “You promised we would have the whole afternoon to ourselves.”

Friedrich Wilhelm III sighed. “You’re right. Lets go.”

They resumed riding, and Janina admired how well he handled the reins with his left hand. The injury he suffered in the Ottoman invasion still caused him pain, but he nearly had full use of his arm again.

However, they were never alone for long. Not ten minutes went by before another horse approached them, this time the rider was the ambassador from Hamburg, who was a man that Friedrich Wilhelm III had a genuine affection for and not someone that he would dismiss so readily as the ubiquitous messengers. Janina kept her opinion to herself and pondered instead on what was to be served for dinner.

c35i1.png

March 1690

Running down the hall, Viktor von Preuben looked around for the Emperor, struggling to sort the papers in his arms as he jogged down the steps in the narrow hallway of the palace. He dropped one sheet of paper. Struggling to keep the others in his arms, he pinned the loose leaf to the floor with his foot. Reaching over to pick it up, three or four more pages flew from his arms. He tried to ignore the sniggers of some passing maids, as he kept comically dropping pages everywhere as he tried to pick them up. Eventually, he gathered them all up, but they were now hopelessly out of order again. Silently bemoaning his fate, he almost missed sight of the Emperor walking the other direction down a side corridor.

“Emperor! Can I have a moment?”

Friedrich Wilhelm III turned around to face the approaching man. “Of course, Viktor, but you need to calm down. Why are you in a rush?”

“Sorry, Emperor. I just got back from a meeting with the alderman of Belin, and they have an interesting proposal.” Viktor decided not to mention that the purpose of the meeting was to discuss the flow of trade in the Prussia. The new Empress, desiring all the latest fashions and finest luxuries, was interfering with his carefully set-up trading arrangements. There was little that the alderman and him could do but gripe about it, but the alderman also had some ideas that he wanted Viktor to pass along.

The Emperor listened intently as Viktor explained that plan. He liked that about Friedrich Wilhelm III; he always took time to listen. Viktor described the grand plans to improve Berlin and how it would start with a grand renovation of the palace.

Friedrich Wilhelm III nodded. “Sounds like a solid plan, but I do not think it wise to spend money on such superficial matters, especially during a war.”

Prussia had honored the call to arms from Hamburg, who was invading Sweden. As Hamburg had been a loyal ally and elector, willing to add provinces to the Empire, the choice to join the fight was clear. Freidrich Wilhelm III had sent an army south to occupy the small, fortified Silesian remnant state outside the Empire and an army north to help siege down Sweden, but was not too keen on keeping them there during the winter.

“There are many who will doubtless be disappointed,” resumed the Emperor, “but we need stability right now. Besides, I have some policies of my own that I am working on, some reforms that will improve the Holy Roman Empire as a whole, not just Berlin.”

c35i2.png

February 1692

With two large legal documents on his desk, Fredrich Wilhelm III closed his eyes. One was the treaty from the Hamburg conquest of Sweden. The war was far more costly than he had originally anticipated. The armies were victorious but beaten down, by long sieges in the mountains of Silesia and frozen Sweden. Manpower reserves were low, but among the survivors there was a strong sense of professionalism, what the French would call esprit de corps.

He should be glad that Sweden was knocked down significantly, but he was disappointed that Hamburg did not give him any land; he should have listened to Viktor von Prueben and claimed some Baltic coast in a separate peace. Hamburg only captured four provinces, but Sweden was also forced to return control of large section of Norway to the Norwegian crown.

He was concerned about several pieces of news form the east and south. First, Russia and the Ottoman Empire had agreed to a white peace after their most recent titanic struggle. Then, Austria had annexed the last lands of the Palatinate, growing in power at the expense of innocent principalities.

Ignoring the pain of his injured hand, he scootched forward in his chair and singed the peace treaty; Hamburg was the war leader and there was little he could do about that. He rolled it up, sealed it and handed it to a waiting page.

Then he looked at the second document. That one, he carefully returned to a desk drawer. Prussia needed time to recover from the war for the present, but eventually the time for the second decree would come. It had waited 200 years, it could wait a few more.

c53i3.png

A shame about missing out in that Batic coast but it was nice to read about a marriage in a paradox game that actually works (maybe I've been reading too many Crusader Kings AARs).

Chapter 36 - So Many Princes
Chapter 36 – So Many Princes

April 1692

Laughing at himself as he almost fell out of his saddle, Hans von Gersdroff quickly regained control of his horse and flashed a grin at a few nervous-looking infantrymen marching beside him. He did not have skills his brother did with a horse, but he was always willing to confidently try. As a middle child in the large

Growing up, Hans admired his elder brother Friedrich Wilhelm and was probably closest to him more than anyone else. He considered himself lucky that he was not under the pressure that Friedrich was as heir and eldest sister Vera was as the most eligible bachelorette in the Holy Roman Empire. His youngest brother Georg craved attention through overachieving and becoming speaker of the Landtag. His younger sister Anna hid from the world and the youngest Hildegard lashed out and rebelled the most. Hans, however, was used to not much being expected of him and relied upon his charm and humor for attention, striving to be noticed by everyone but his father.

Time passed, though, and Friedrich married Anastasia of Russia, and went to work continuing the von Gersdorff line, Georg preferred his domain in the legislature, Vera was married to Ansbach in an attempt to keep the mid-sized duchy loyal, the other sisters married other people. Hans just kind of stuck around the capital, partying and being an occasional companion and confident to his brother. Not much was expected of him, and his father tolerated him as long as he kept out of scandal.

At one point, he introduced Friedrich to Jaina von Suhm, a wealthy young heiress who traveled in his social circle. Hans could see the mutual attraction, but it was only after Anastasia’s untimely death that they dared to start seeing each other and only after their father’s death that he married her. Hans was glad that they got along so well, even if the other siblings did not. He suspected that they were just jealous, but if the Emperor Friedrich Wilhelm III could not marry who he wished, what was the point of being Emperor?

Even a playboy prince had to settle down at some point, though, and Hans had married the eldest daughter of the ruling house of the vassal of Hesse. He had watched his brother and Jaina and how they interacted with his nephew Friedrich and saw how happy they were. He had decided that he would make a go at being a family man after all. Hesse was beautiful country, and he was getting to know his new wife. It was only because the army was passing through on its way to Cleves that he rode out to great his brother and decided to join him for one short military campaign before settling down in Hesse.

It was a popular move among the patriotic set to invade Cleves to enforce long-standing Prussian claims in the area. His brother was not normally one inclined to wage war, but Cleves’s allies were few and weak. The Empire was now mostly Protestant, but Cleves was Reformed, so removing it would reduce the number of heretical princes even if the number of princes went down overall. It was also likely that removing it would only be temporary.

Hans was never expected to be a model soldier like his brother was, and it showed whenever he rode a horse. He hadn’t joined Friedrich at any marches, sieges or battles, as their father did not want both princes at the same location during wartime. That was what he said at least; everyone knew it was also because Hans couldn’t ride well, shoot straight or resist trying to get stoic infantrymen to laugh at dumb jokes.

c36i1.png

July 1695

“Our Emperor was always the kindest and most noble of Prussians,” eulogized the philosopher Erwin Kreytz to the crowded cathedral. Most of the Princes of the Holy Roman Empire were present for the funeral; he doubted that any other Emperor had such a number turn out to show their last respects.

“He knew the cost of war but did not shirk from his duty. He demonstrated, as a young man, how any Prussian can overcome their weaknesses to stand tall in the face of enemy fire. As a leader, he did not ask anything of any man that he would not subject himself to.”

It was easy enough to summarize and tout the highlights of Friedrich Wilhelm III’s life and career; he had produced plenty of pro-Gersdorff propaganda over the years. As he recited familiar praises, he examined the faces in the crowd.

The new emperor, swiftly confirmed by the Electors, was only thirteen. The fourth Prussian Emperor to bear the name Friedrich Wilhelm, was socially aware enough to grieve only as much as was socially expected from the Emperor. The lad would probably be a good leader to shepherd the Empire into the next century. Next to him, the Empress-Consort Jaina dabbed at her red eyes with a handkerchief. She had less discipline in expressing her emotions. Behind her, the military advisor Rudolf Knobelsdorf slightly scowled whenever her sobs became audible.

Erwin knew that he was going to have to pick up the slack in administrating Prussia with her as Regent, but it would only be a couple of years before Friedrich Wilhelm IV took control. On the young Emperor’s other side sat his uncle Hans, who was clearly distraught over the sudden death of his brother, especially considering the circumstances of the incident a few weeks ago. Hans, while goofing around, was riding his horse sideways alongside a canal. The horse lost its footing and fell in, and before anyone else could react, the Emperor himself dived into the canal to save his brother. He was able to free Hans from the saddle, but wound up tangled in the reins with his bad arm and swept away. Hopes were dashed when the bodies of man and horse were discovered. Erwin knew that Hans would carry a hefty burden of guilt around with him for the rest of his life, even if his carefree smile may return.

“Fredrich Wilhelm III died as he lived,” Erwin resumed, “And knew what sacrifice truly means. The Empire of Fredrich Wilhelm is one where everyone, from the humblest villager to the highest royal, may be asked to give it all for everyone’s glory. This selflessness made him devoted to his family...”

This sort of propaganda was even more familiar to Erwin; much of it was recycled from Freidrich Wilhlem II’s reign. He looked over at the rest of the von Gersdorff extended family in the front pews. Many of them did not get along with Jaina, and in the years since the loss of the powerful patriarch they started to go their own ways and form their own cliques in the Imperial court.

“He was beloved by his citizens,” continued Erwin, “And dealt with his Princes justly. The Empire was blessed to have him lead us, even if his time on Earth was too short.”

At least these lines were more truthful of Friedrich Wilhelm III than they were about his father; the subjects of the Empire did not cower at the Emperor’s approach anymore (unless they were from Cleaves). His diplomatic efforts did indeed stabilize the Empire, and he worked hard to reinstate the old Reichsreform laws that enemies of the Empire had removed by treaty two centuries ago. Although he did not live to see the vision through, his efforts were popular enough that most of the princes had pledged to support the reintroduction of Reichsreform when they elected and pledged fealty to his son. The clumsy diplomatic advisor Viktor von Preuben was scrambling to get all the paperwork in order before any of them had second thoughts.

Erwin watched the princes as their attention drifted from his eulogy and towards each other. While they may have feared Friedrich Wilhelm I and II, and respected Friedrich Wilhelm III, they all had their own agendas. Few of them will fail to see opportunity in this tense situation. Some may even be bold enough to seize it. The last line of his speech was just as familiar to them as the rest of the propaganda, but he actually meant it this time.

“May God guide and bless His Holy Roman Empire. Amen.”

c36i2.png

c36i3.png

END PART THREE

Chapter 37 - The Enlightened Fool
Chapter 37 - The Enlightened Fool

December 1696

Jaina could hardly believe her ears when the news was brought to her while she was eating breakfast. Prussia was preparing for what would hopefully be a memorable Christmas before their new Emperor, her stepson Friedrich Wilhelm IV, assumed command in full.

“I said, the Netherlands have made their move,” said General Hartmann von Stille as he chewed on an apple, “Doubtless, they are sieging down Gelre by now. It seems our threats did not deter them.”

Upon hearing rumors that the Netherlands were going to try to retake Gelre, Jaina had listened to the generals and proclaimed the independence of Gelre to be in Prussia’s national interest.

“What what?” exclaimed General Ludwig Karl von Derflinger, a rotund cavalryman. “In the middle of winter, and during the holiest part of the year!”

Jaina felt her heart race. She was this close to riding out the regency and handing over Prussia intact to her stepson, but now war was on the horizon with just over two weeks before the transfer of power. She was frozen, trying to access the situation. The two generals ignored her, and began drawing up battleplans. Von Derflinger was a good cavalry commander, but his expertise ended there. Von Stille, though, was a fairly versatile general, but was still no match for the late Friedrich Wilhelm III. Unfortunately, they were also missing Prince Hans. The man who once had been so full of life followed his brother to the grave. He had fallen into depression before succumbing to illness last winter, leaving behind a widow and young son. Hans would not have been able to provide any tactical advice either, but he was at least a creative thinker.

“With your permission, Empress, we can have our troops assembled in Brunswick right away.” Interrupted Von Stille. Jaina looked at him as she caught her breath and realized the impact of what she needed to approve. The Netherlands choose this war, not her. Prussian honor was at stake.

c37i1.png

January 1697

“You’ll do fine.” Jaina whispered. Friedrich Wilhelm IV, newly crowned and dressed in the shiniest regalia, nodded. When the sergeant-at-arms announced his presence, he strolled into the hall of the Landtag. The Speaker, Uncle Georg, applauded and smiled at him. The whole chamber applauded as well, following his lead.

As Fredrich Wilhelm IV walked passed the seats, he that almost a third of them were empty. He took his position and prepared to address the lawmakers.

“I am pleased to open the session of Parliament, even if there is barely a quorum. The citizens are lucky, esteemed representatives, to have you here drafting laws on their behalf. You yourselves are lucky, compared to the nobility of most other nations. You are legally exempt from many obligations that the bulgers and clergy are bound by. And I am lucky to have your guidance, as the relationship between the Parliament and the Kings of Prussia has allowed our nation to rise to dominate the Holy Roman Empire.”

“I am pleased that all of you who choose to attend this season are present. You patriots know your duty to your country, as much as any soldier in the ranks. Sadly, it is shameful that so many of your colleagues would desert their posts. Even though we are at a state of war, I will be merciful towards these deserters. A light fine should suffice.”

A few audible gasps passed through the ranks of lawmakers, and a few started mumbling to each other. Fredrich Wilhelm IV was confused...he had thought a mild punishment would encourage more of them to do the right thing. He remembered his diplomatic training and tried a different tactic.

“I know it may seem harsh, but we all have our role. Peasants work the fields, soldiers fight our wars, and I, as the divinely chosen King and Emperor, have a duty to make sure everyone does their duties.”

He had their attention now. “We are nearing the dawn of a new century. The world is changing; we are growing in prosperity. The arts and sciences are flourishing, and we have many great philosophers and thinkers among us, and many bold ideas I wish to implement. Under my reign, the catholic and reformist minorities shall be untroubled in their worship. The Press shall face fewer restrictions. We need to open up the military officer ranks to skilled veterans, not just to those who purchase them.”

Fredrich Wilhelm IV was somewhat aware of murmuring and even a few giggles, but he was really passionate about the enlightenment and believed that he could usher in an age of reason. He decided to ignore them and speak with conviction.

“Indeed, we should open parliamentary elections to all men of independent means, not just those with noble titles. Those charged with crimes should be guaranteed trails by jury, and constables who abuse the citizenry in the pursuit of their duties need to be prosecuted. There should be fewer monopolies and barriers to trade. This is how Prussia will continue to thrive into the future.”

As he wrapped up his opening speech, Friedrich Wilhelm IV watched the representatives. Most of them were silenced, a few were grinning and snickering with their colleagues.

“If the fines don’t bring them back in, nephew,” whispered Uncle Georg, “The promise of an entertaining speech surely will.”

c37i2.png

August 1700

General Hartmann von Stille was sore from riding the saddle back and forth across the empire for so many years, so it was relaxing to enjoy some simple sausages and ale in the same inn two days in a row.

The war was precarious at first, with the initial offensive into the Netherlands being defeated in battle and sent back to Prussia to reorganize. It was chaotic, and Scotland seemed to be involved in a separate conflict, they held the city of Gelre for some time before it ended and the Scots went home. Shortly afterwards, Ponzan fell to the Austrians. The one lucky break in the early war was Saxony choosing to honor its alliance with Gelre over its alliance with the Netherlands.

As the army was getting reorganized, the new Emperor had ordered some changes that opened up some lower officer ranks to men with skill in battle but lacking the social connections to obtain them. He also introduced some higher military ranks to improve the dissemination of orders down the chain of command; these men the Emperor selected himself. To address the national manpower shortage, recruitment standards were slackened and many of the second-best men of the country were conscripted.

Despite his initial doubts, Hartmann could work with these tools. He retook Ponzan and returned to the Netherlands and occupied the northern part of the country. Then he swung back east to put some pressure on Austria. However, reports were coming in that the Netherlands were reorganizing and aiming to take territory back with only a smaller Saxon force to oppose them, and tomorrow he was going to be heading back west again, but the army was not tiring.

He was noticing a shift in how the army thought of themselves; many of them were expressing pride in the size of the Prussian state, almost as an “Empire within an empire”, and felt like they could take on any nation in the world.
c37i3.png

(Sorry for the delay, things are busier but I'm still plugging away. My Hanover game is entering the endstage as 1800 rolls over. Rushing to get that union on England, but I have to complete a mission to conquer all the ports in the North Sea first for some reason and I was dithering. Norway was easy. Had to betray Ireland, but Ireland still exists as a tiny landlocked version of itself. Scotland seized down, will be able to take everything i need including Iceland off them (thank you admin ideas and 90+ absolutism) but I want to core Ireland first because of overextension...and I'll probably face another coalition too.)