• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 24 - For the Sake of Prussia
Chapter 24 – For the Sake of Prussia

January 1628

Snow and ash alike drifted through the air as Friedrich Wilhelm strolled through the burnt-out wreckage of a small Polish town. He had visited and burned half of it once before during the Ottoman War. There were Ottoman soldiers hiding in the town, so he had to make an example. Despite the complaints of the townsfolk, he had restrained himself and told them that because they were friends and not enemies, he would spare half the town.

Now, Poland was the enemy, so there was no reason to hold back. The distant screams and muffled cries of captured villagers told him that some of the men were still enjoying plundering the town. He came across his second-in-command, the fearsome Alfred Arnim, overseeing a platoon that was counting and organizing what loot they were able to find, though Friedrich Wilhelm was surprised that there was anything of value left.

“Welcome, Sir.” Said Arnim as he saluted.

“At ease, Arnim.” Said Friedrich Wilhelm as he handed over a small pile of paper. “You better gather the men up, I just received instructions from the Emperor.”

Arnim looked at the documents skeptically. “A peace treaty? We’ve only just begun; the men were just getting warmed up.”

It took less than two years for the already weakened Commonwealth to be overrun by the forces of Prussia, Russia and their other allies. They had eventually agreed to partition Poland, with some provinces in the west going to Prussia, in the east to Russia, and in the north to Livonia.

“At least we are bringing back quite a bit of gold with us,” conceded Friedrich Wilhelm. Besides, the men won’t be idle for long. The Emperor is planning on finally addressing the troublesome Bohemians next.”

“In that case then, sir, we can hardly wait.”

c24i1.png

February 1629

Anelia stormed through the palace, eventually reaching her husband’s study. The guards did not dare block her passage, and she shoved the doors open until she came to Emperor Georg Wilhelm I seated at his desk.

“What is the meaning of this?”

He blinked at her, confused, until she placed a document in front of him and pinned it to the desk with her long index finger.

“This. Ortelsburg.”

“Oh,” said Georg Wilhelm slowly, “it was needed for the war effort.”

The Prussian rival of Bohemia had recently consumed much of Saxony and was looking to continue to expand; Prussia was looking for a good opportunity to stop them. Three months ago, diplomatic agents reported that Bavaria was unlikely to respond to a defensive call to arms, though Sweden and Silesia would. Prussia, however, had enough favors accumulated to call in their full suite of allies. So far, just a few sieges were ongoing, but more armies were being moved into position.

But before he had died last year, Ernst von Derfflinger had been insisting on Prussia taking a more active role in the management of Danzig, and a faction at court had developed with the objective of pushing for its annexation. She had done her best to counteract them, but they must have realized that they could make more progress by pushing for one province at a time.

“I don’t care why you needed to annex it,” Anelia said, “You swore an oath to me that you would maintain Danzig as an autonomous vassal.”

“You swore an oath to me as well,” replied Georg Wilhelm, “and I have put my personal feelings aside and remained silent about that for the sake of Prussia.”

Anelia wasn’t sure about him remaining silent. The last few years had seen a decline in Georg Wilhelm I. Despite the best efforts of the physicians, he had a number of minor health complaints, including ulcers, that continued to accumulate. He was not as sharp as he once was mentally, having developed looser and looser lips. She was sure that he had confided in his heir, Friedrich Wilhelm. She had thought that the leers that he sent her way were disturbing enough, but the cold hatred he shot towards Clemens Flinck whenever the two of them were in the same room was even scarier.

Aneila sighed. “It’s always about Prussia. Prussia always come first. It always comes before me, before Anna, before your health. I don’t know why I need to be in Berlin if you are not going to care about any of those things. I need a vacation.”

“Anelia...”

“I mean it. I am going to visit Danzig this spring, I’ll need to try to at least smooth things over with my brother. Anna needs to get out of the city, perhaps learn about her heritage and family. You’ve publicly acknowledged her, but not as heir, and you barely spend any time with her.”

Georg Wilhelm I was wincing, from the pain of his ulcers or the pain of her rebuke she could not say. It would be better to leave him alone with his thoughts for now.

“We need to spend some time apart,” she said, leaving the room, “for the sake of Prussia.”

c24i2.png

December 1629

Ludwig von Hohenzollern, moving as fast as he dared down the stairs by candlelight, considered how he was going to phrase his letters. The Electors of the Holy Roman Empire, not to mention Friedrich Wilhelm I himself, needed to be informed at once. There was no doubt over the result of the election, but procedures needed to be followed. Over the next few days, more formal notification must be sent to the Empress, the Landtag, the church leaders, leading nobles and burglars, government officials and hundreds of others.

He almost dropped the candle when he ran into Ernst von Taubeneck.

“Is he dead?” asked Ernst.

“Yes, not ten minutes ago.”

“Then It’s not too late to change your mind, my friend. You can still see Princess Anna rather than that godless bastard. I found a good man, you don’t need to know his name, who will bring thousands to fight for her cause.”

“He may be a bastard, but he’s a competent one, and groomed for this role. Anna is just a child, and he currently leading our armies in war. The latest scout reports, as you know, indicate Silesian troops operating not far from Berlin. We don’t need to fight ourselves right now. It’s not worth it.”

“Suit yourself.” Whispered von Taubeneck as he started to leave.

“Wait,” interrupted Ludwig, “Is Finck part of your mad plan?”

“No. Like you, he wants to play it safe. He thinks he can charm his way through anything. But there is no safety with a man like Fredrich Wilhelm on the throne. Think about it.”

c24i3.png

Ernst must feel pleased with himself, the Emperor seems to have fallen for his ruse!

A valuable skill for middle managers.

Things took a turn in my Navajo game. Reforming turns out didn't get me as caught up as I thought, as I lost all my native buildings (would not have bought half of them if I knew that was coming) and had no idea groups filled out. Became Catholic. Also screwed up royally with the new estate system and the burglars had to bail me out and now I have a huge malus I can't get rid of for a long time if at all. Was holding my own against early European invasions, but then three major colonial powers started dogpiling on me in separate wars. Spain I was able to peace out just by returning some cores to their subjects, but England will settle for no less than crushing my economy and forcing a bankruptcy (and there is going to be one coming anyway, only debasing or disbanding can buy time now) and Portugal I will have to just surrender to. And I am worried that even if I do peace them out and survive, France or maybe even Holland will jump on me while bankrupt.

In short, it's a hellish experience, and I'm in heaven

Friedrich Wilhelm's reign will likey involve the shedding of much blood, let's hope most of it will be outside the realm. I expect Danzig's days are now numbered...

Chapter 25 - Enemies Vanquished
Chapter 25 – Enemies Vanquished

September 1630

“What is the meaning of this?” hollered Clemens Finck as two large men dragged him through the hallway. “The Emperor will have your hides for this!”

They roughly dragged him into a large, dim candlelit room and threw him to the ground. When he opened his eyes, he saw an expensive pair of black and silver boots. He struggled to raise his head to peer up at the rest of the figure. When the image came into focus, he found himself staring down at the face of Friedrich Wilhelm I himself.

“Emperor! What a pleasant surprise! I thought you were in Bohemia.”

While Hamburg and Russian forces clashed with the Swedes, the Anhalt and Prussian armies had captured the first fort in Bohemia and started working on the second. Fredrich Wilhelm I had been plying his skill in siege warfare when word came down about George Albrecht I’s death. Meanwhile, the Ottomans had attacked the Commonwealth again while the other powers in the region were occupied.

“I left General Munchov in charge. You may rise.”

Clemens Finch struggled to his feet. The two thugs made no move to help him.

“I had no idea, Emperor,” stammered Finck, “that you were planning on visiting the city.”

“I came to Berlin to take care of some traitors. While the rebellion turned out to be militarily irrelevant, they have sympathizers. I mean to find them.”

It turned out that the supporters of ten-year old Princess Anna had no sense of planning or strategy, as their host was soon cut down. By whom it was hard to say; both allied and enemy armies were operating in Prussia and whichever one crossed path with the rebels first was probably the one who made mincemeat of them. After the corpses were discovered, Ernst von Taubeneck never mentioned them again and acted as if nothing was amiss, while Ludwig von Hohenzollern seemed to be getting more and more uneasy.

At least the war with Bohemia was progressing steadily. His letters from Aniela said that Princess Anna was safe with her in the Danzig capital fortress, but with the fall of the fortress of Osterlode it may not be safe for long. He tried to keep his mind focused on his work rather than worrying about them, but he was heartbroken and stressed about their fate.

“For instance,” continued the Emperor, “the printer who made these.”

A small man who Clemens had not noticed before handed him a piece of paper. It seemed to be a screed about the many crimes of Friedrich Wilhelm. In addition to well-known stories of his bloody war-time deeds, it also suggested that he was an illegitimate bastard, a rumor that wormed through court gossip from time to time. Each telling had a more outlandish individual suggested as the father, so Clemens had put little stock in them. This particular tract suggested that a notorious bandit and murderer, executed a decade ago for some quite gruesome crimes, was responsible.

“My predecessor and his mother before him may have tolerated such establishments, but I will not,” resumed Friedrich Wilhelm I, “Already men are closing them down and seizing their equipment. We will be printing our own propaganda.”

The small man handed over another document, and Clemens gasped when he saw that the anti-Princess Anna piece not only accused her similar bastardry, but blamed Clemens himself for fathering her.

“Emperor, I don’t understand...”

“I mean to root out traitors, wherever the vermin hide. From field mice who get torn up by the scythe, to the rats who hide in their ink-stained hovels in the back allies, to the fanciest pigeon who thinks he’s safe perched on the tallest tower.”

The small man next to Clemens grinned and handed the emperor a different document.

“To suggest that I hold no birthright as my cousin’s heir is treason, is it not?”

“For a monarch? Of course.”

“I’m glad we agree.” Friedrich Wilhelm quickly signed the document and handed it back to the smaller man.

“Clemens Flink,” spoke the short man for the first time, “you have been charged with treason.”

“What?”

“Eight years ago,” interrupted the Emperor, “You referred to me as the “bloody bastard” at a reception after the meeting where Lorraine was compelled to release unlawful territory from Trier. I overheard you myself.”

Clemens was confused. “Is that why I am here? Because you hold a grudge from an insult at a party years ago?”

“You will talk to the Emperor with respect.” Said the short man.

“I’m sorry, who are you?”

“That is Manfred von Seel,” interjected the Emperor, “And he is your replacement.”

The gravity of the situation started to sink in for Clemens Finck. He opened his mouth to respond, but the Emperor spoke first. “I planned to wed Empress Aniela. What better husband for a royal widow? I would gain legitimacy, and she would maintain her lifestyle. But her letter arrived, rejecting me. You poisoned her soul, Finck.”

“So that is what this is about. Of course she rejected you, you don’t know anything about her. She’ll never endure the likes of you as a husband, if this is how you solve your problems.”

“The accused will be silent,” said von Seel, “Clemens Finck, you have been found guilty of treason, and sentenced to death, by beheading, at noon tomorrow.”

Clemens was so stunned that he barely noticed the large men clamping shackles around his arms and legs “Death? I haven’t even had a trial!”

“You had your trial.” Fredrich Wilhelm I said calmly, “I tried you long ago.”

c25i1.png

November 1632

“We found him right over her, my lord.” Said the washerwoman as Ludwig von Hohenzollern struggled to keep up with her in the cold November air. They rounded a large tree and Ludwig took in the sight, four of the washerwomen were gathered around a baby in a basket.

Ludwig looked down into the basket and up at the eyes of the child. “Seems lively enough. And you have no idea who left him here?”

“None at all, my lord.”

“Well, I’ll have some men start asking questions and looking for the mother. In the meantime, I can summon a nurse to help take care of him.”

“Thank you, my lord. But what if the mother cannot be found?”

“I will pull some strings and get him into our best orphanage.”

A familar voice cut through the morning air. “Ludwig! There you are! What secrets are you trying to conceal? This is so unlike you.”

Ludwig turned to great the Emperor. He was flanked by two other advisors. Manfred von Seel was a short, vile man who rarely spoke who rose to his position after Flink was executed. Watching the beheading made him sick, but Ludwig was quick to denounce Flink after the fact to save his own hide. A few months later, Ernst von Taubeneck was found dead in his home, in what looked like a burglary gone wrong. The Emperor’s friend, Alfred Arnim, was promoted to fill the vacancy. A scary man, but twice the military mind of any advisor who came before. Alfred managed to convince many rouges and thugs from the unsavory corners of the realm, men who would normally avoid military service, to enlist with the promise of looking the other way with whatever they did in occupied territory.

All of Bohemia and much of Silesia was occupied territory. Fighting continued in Sweden, and the Swiss army was relieving Danzig at last word, but the war was winding down. The Emperor was now currently focusing the war effort here in Silesia, overseeing the sieges, and he insisted that they Imperial court travel with the army so that he could keep an eye on them.

“My Emperor,” bowed Ludwig, “Mr. Arnim, Mr. von Seel. A young infant was found floating in a basket in the reeds over here.”

“Is that so?” said Friedrich Wilhelm I, “let me look at him.”

Ludwig watched the Emperor’s face as he gazed into the basket. Ludwig had only seen him smile when hurting people before, but the Emperor was smiling now. Not just smiling but beaming. He slowly reached down to pick the infant up, and as he held him up to inspect him, the baby started laughing and giggling.

“This is a strong lad!” said Fredrich Wilhelm I. “Was he out all night in that cold?”

“As near as we can determine, yes.” Replied Ludwig, He was surprised, this was a side of the Emperor he had never seen before.

“That is one tough lad. He is Prussian tough. Mr. von Hohenzollern, you can forget about that orphanage. I will adopt the child myself.”

c25i2.png

April 1633

It was surprising on how becoming a father changed his perspective, thought Friedrich Wilhelm as he was able to truly relax back in Berlin for the first time since his reign began. Now that he had an heir, he no longer was obsessing over Aniela and was content to leave her alone in Danzig as long as she didn’t trouble him. There would be other women who would make excellent Empresses in Europe; he had one particular individual in mind above the others, but now that young Friedrich was in his life there wasn’t as much of a rush.

He felt energized again, possibly for the first time in years. He poured that energy into reforming the army, and the increased morale and professionalism led to a few victories which secured the end of the war.

After he checked on his son for the evening, Friedrich Wilhelm unrolled a map of the holy roman empire and considered how the borders had shifted and the balance of power changed. Sweden, Silesia and Bohemia had independently signed different peace treaties. They all had to pay war reparations and large sums of gold; that almost went without saying. In addition, Sweden and Silesia had to cut diplomatic ties with Bohemia. Friedrich Wilhelm also allowed Sweden to hand over the province of Lund to Hamburg, rewarding a useful ally.

As for Bohemia, the once great nation had been sundered. Friedrich Wilhelm only took three provinces for himself, but he also gave two to loyal Ansbach and required four be returned to Saxony, who Bohemia had previously reduced to a single province. Where once a large rival had stood, now three medium-sized countries sat, two grateful and one cowed.

As fun as war was, Friedrich Wilhelm knew the country need to recover from the exhaustion as loss of men. He had learned much of statecraft from his cousin, even if his moralistic lectures got tiring. Those who thought that he was just a cruel fighter would be surprised, as he had plans for the stability and prosperity for both the Empire and for Prussia.

And more plans for revenge.

c25i3.png

I am excited to see where you go next. Another attack on the Poles or perhaps moving westward and taking more land within the HRE itself?

A new heir is something to celebrate but I can't help but think the unusual circumstances in which he was conjured up makes another war inevitable on succession...

I am excited to see where you go next. Another attack on the Poles or perhaps moving westward and taking more land within the HRE itself?

A new heir is something to celebrate but I can't help but think the unusual circumstances in which he was conjured up makes another war inevitable on succession...

Those Gersdorffs can't catch a break now can they? Now they aren't even really "Gersdorffs" from here on out.

Interesting Navajo game so far. Multiple beatdowns by entire colonial empires....two bankruptcies, changed from a catholic republic to a protestant monarchy. Finally managed to shake the Bulgars's 20% automany debuff. Once Spain beat on me a few times and took my gold province the Europeans left me alone for the most part and I was able to rebuild my economy. When Spain was concentrating on Africa and Philippines I felt confident enough to take some territory back off a colonial nation, but now Spain has me in the crosshairs again, and now they have France in a PU. I can still lose one more war and continue for now, but I'll try to do whatever I can to survive to 1821. I may try to get vassalized and see if I can find an opportunity to break free during the age of revolutions.

Last edited:
Chapter 26 - The Prussian Way
Chapter 26 – The Prussian Way

May 1634

Aniela watched from the upper story of the capital palace of Danzig as dozens of mounted Prussians entered the courtyard and started ordering people to leave. Confused workers paused in their tracks before ultimately obeying the heavily armed men. She saw a handful of them force their way through the doors, either pushing aside or thrusting papers in the faces of any who objected.

There would be no point in resisting, she knew this day would come. Taking a few moments to check her appearance in the mirror, she waited until she could hear footsteps outside her door before opening it, catching the Prussians approaching down the hall off guard.

“There...there..she is,” she heard one speak.

“Here I am.”

The soldier stuttered a bit before one of his colleagues produced the paper he had been showing around. She could not see what was written on it from where she was, but she knew what it said.

“Empress, we are informing you that Danzig has been officially annexed by the Prussian Kingdom.” He stated. This was expected, as recently Prussia had released Hesse as a vassal. Friedrich Wilhelm I had been known to say that he preferred vassals that were also HRE princes, and with Mecklenburg and now Hesse fulfilling that role there was little need for Danzig anymore. The dream of a Danzig state was dead.

“I can see that, Captain.”

“You are...are...also..sum...sum...” stuttered the first before the Captain rolled his eyes.

“The Emperor Fredrich Wilhelm requests your presence.” Interrupted the Captain.

“Very well,” she said, “Let’s see him.”

“This way,” said the Captain. The stuttering soldier grabbed her arm and tugged her along, slightly ripping her sleeve. They led her back down to the courtyard, where Friedrich Wilhelm I had arrived. He was as intimidating as before, but where he had once looked upon her with lust he now had a neutral expression.

Friedrich Wilhelm descended from his horse. “Empress Aniela, how wonderful to see you again after all these years.”

“Emperor Friedrich. You’ve been busy.”

“Oh! Your sleeve. Were your escorts too rough?”

“No rougher than was necessary,” she responded, arcing her head towards the stuttering guard.

“She...she...she...”he stuttered, before the Emperor interrupted.

“That is no way to treat an Empress!” he exclaimed, pointing at the soldier, “Take him away!”

Without comment, two other soldiers dragged their stuttering colleague away.

“Please accept my apologies,” he said, holding out his hand. She refused to take it.

“Charming as ever,” he continued, “I won’t ask you to marry me again. Because I love you, I have left your alone all these years, and have accepted that I don’t need your royal presence to run Prussia, as much as I would have enjoyed it.”

“You old romantic,” she said, “You mean, you don’t need me now that you conjured up a son from somewhere. Who was his mother? A washerwoman?”

Friedrich Wilhelm I sneered, “He is my true born son and heir, I have decreed it. I do not need a wife for that purpose anymore, but I will take one for legitimacy and appearance’s sake.” Although the Holy Roman Empire was generating Imperial Authority in the positives during peacetime after a few princes successfully changed religion, his monthly increase was slim; Spain and the Ottomans still controlled some Imperial provinces, and the Netherlands had eaten one of the Free Cities while Prussia was distracted by Bohemia.

“My answer is still no.”

“I wasn’t thinking of you. Princess Anna is now 14, is she not? Old enough to marry, and I can recognize her as Georg Wilhelm’s true daughter, eliminating any doubt, as simply as I recognized my son.”

Aniela was horrified now that the true reason for his visit was revealed. “The answer is still no.”

“Shouldn’t we ask her what she thinks of the proposal? She can have a far more comfortable life as Empress of the Holy Roman Empire than as an outcast in a backwater province,” he said before pausing and looking around. He then addressed the Captain, “Speaking of Anna, where is she? Haven’t you found her yet?”

“Not to my knowledge, Emperor,” replied the Captain.

“She’s not here.” Said Aniela calmly.

There was anger in Friedrich Wilhelm’s eyes, anger that he had been successful in suppressing up to this point. “Where is she?”

“I don’t know, but she hasn’t been in Danzig for two years.”

“Damn you!” yelled Friedrich Wilhelm, turning towards the guards. “Arrest her. Gently!”

c26i1.png

February 1641

As was typical for him, Friedrich Wilhelm I worked late at night when there were fewer distractions. Of greatest concern to him at the moment was the new vassal state of Pomerania that he had just released. He had been waiting on the old Pomeranian cores of Stolp and Kolberg to expire, so he would be able to negotiate a three-province vassal. While he was loath to surrender some authority, the additional prince in the Empire and the reduced administrative load to rapid military mobilization was a clear benefit. He was not sure that he could trust the nobles who took up their old family power bases, but he needed all the help he could get.

There had been some turnover in the advisory council. Ludwig von Hohenzollern had died from a heart attack. The poor man tried so hard to prove his loyalty, but he never had the stomach for the sort of work that was required to earn Friedrich Wilhelm I’s favor. Friedrich had made a sport of implying to Ludwig that he was always on the verge of being executed, and the stress and strain was eventually enough to kill him. Friedrich missed him; he was an able advisor and fun to bully.

Manfred von Seel, having reduced inflation to a manageable level, was dismissed as advisor. His loyalty was rewarded, however, and he became the next former royal advisor to take up the role of Speaker of the Landtag. He was known for silently allowing debating legislators to ramble and threaten each other, but strongly rebuked anyone who went over their allotted time. His hallmark legislation was centered around issuing new letters of Marque and modernizing Anna Maria I’s old pirate fleet. The pirates continued to haunt the North Sea; the occasional foray into the English Channel was discouraged by the rapid response of anti-pirate patrols there. The pirate ships were also upgraded with copper bottoms, increasing their longevity, and additional ships were commissioned.

Friedrich Wilhelm I had replaced the lost advisors with skilled individuals from old families. Denis was the latest member of the Zitzwitz clan to serve the government. Although more widely known for his artwork (drawings and sketches that tended to obsess over the internal anatomy of his subjects), he would prove to be a shrewd administrator. Adolf Finck was the late Clemens Finck’s estranged nephew, who was more than eager to prove his family’s loyalty to the regime; his talents would manifest themselves in how he diplomatically spun Fredrich Wilhelm I’s actions and policy to put Prussia in the best possible light.

Adolf Finck demonstrated that skill when Alfred Arnim and Fredrich Wilhelm I reorganized the country into Regimental Cantons, where each military regiment had a region to draw manpower from, and the youth of the regions were expected to train for military service should they be called up. Fredrich Wilhelm’s own son was not except, as the 9-year old Friedrich was being groomed to be a model Prussian, marching and drilling and praying with the rest of them. He would be a model successor, and exemplar of the Prussian way, without the influence of women softening him. Despite this, he was a naturally kind-hearted boy, but hopefully that would eventually be drilled out of him.

Not everything that Friedrich Wilhelm I had done over the last few years was with the military in mind. Publicly, he was known for his attention to Prussia’s finances, and intervening on behalf of the free city of Friesland in a dispute with the neighboring nobility. Secretly, he had agents scouring the Empire for any sign of Princess Anna. While the ex-Empress Aniela was locked in the most luxurious suite in the Berlin capital fortress and given all the care and services her station demanded, many of the Danzig commoners were not so lucky. From them, he was able to deduce that most likely she had left with the Swiss guard who had relieved Danzig during the last conflict with Bohemia. After that, the trail grew cold. The Swiss ambassador was full of promises to look into it, but through either incompetence or deceit no satisfactory leads surfaced.

Friedrich Wilhelm I considered the condition of Prussia. The armies were strong, the coffers full, vassals ready, and truces almost expired. He’d earned himself a vacation. Perhaps next summer he would visit Poland again. He could invite Munchov and Alfred Arnim and twenty-five thousand other friends, it would be just like old times.

c26i2.png

January 1644

Young Friedrich Wilhelm smiled as he watched several dogs frolic in the snow-covered garden outside the library. He was supposed to be studying, but with his father and most of the other men gone to war it was hard to resist a chance to relax for a while. Even his tutor seemed lazier and distracted; the bearded man was seated by the fireplace, half-asleep with his nose in a book, only occasionally glancing in Friedrich’s direction.

He had heard about and learned about war his whole life, but when it came time to make war, he had to remain behind. Father had said that he was too young, but he pointed out that some boys younger than him were going. Father laughed and said that they didn’t have homework to do. Prussia wasn’t even the only country fighting a war at the time. Austria and Saxony were attacking Bohemia. Russia invaded Livonia. Friedrich felt left out.

It was exciting to receive word that the Commonwealth’s in-Empire ally of Magdeburg was quickly knocked out of the war. In addition to the traditional war reparations, Magdeburg was to cut all ties with the Commonwealth and even change religion. While he approved of spreading the protestant faith and reducing the number of heretics in the Empire, he wondered if there was a more peaceful way.

With so many men and boys gone, he found himself the darling of the women of the palace. He found the attention from everyone from kitchen workers to advisors’ wives embarrassing and found his own peace in the library pretending to study. So many of them missed their husbands and especially their sons, and every now and then a letter would arrive that would cause one of them to break out in tears. It made him wonder who his own mother was, and how his father met her. He never had time to entertain such questions before in the strict environment his father had raised him in, but every pinch of the cheek or pat on the head made him wonder...

c26i3.png

(You may notice that I took Espionage ideas. I am not one to avoid an idea group just because everyone says its bad. Well, I tried it out for myself and I have to report that it's bad. Never went past the diplomat and I dumped it for another group later on.

Navajo update - entered 18th century. down to two high-dev provinces stuck between three colonial nations. switched to theocracy because why the hell not. all progress is temporary at best. hoping that age of revolutions might cause some part this mighty Spanish/French empire to break away and I can take advantage)

Last edited:
One heretic prince down and ten to go... A good start along the road of increasing imperial authority, it's about time a few reforms got passed. After Poland has been smashed of course!

One heretic prince down and ten to go... A good start along the road of increasing imperial authority, it's about time a few reforms got passed. After Poland has been smashed of course!

Its a slow gain, but gradually the negative modifiers are getting tamped down. Soon I'll reach the point in the narrative where I figured out how to add provinces to the Empire and then things will really start taking off. I was also going through my notes and I realized that the future Friedrich Wilhelm II is Malevolent not Kind-Hearted (FW III will be Kind-Hearted; thats how I got mixed up). So he will probably wind up taking after his father more than I anticipated while writing the last section. Don't know how I will correct that; puberty might change him.

That's a good idea, either that or he has some sort of bad experience that wipes out the youthful outlook on life and brings the appropriate cynicism of adulthood :p

That's a good idea, either that or he has some sort of bad experience that wipes out the youthful outlook on life and brings the appropriate cynicism of adulthood :p

I like your suggestion as well. There are a few events that might fit the bill if I write things so that he is present at them. He may indeed become Malevolent in enforcing Prussian will, but I don't think he will be a violence "enthusiast" like FW I. He certainly will be a more complicated character.

Well the Navajo couldn't resist Spain forever and were annexed in 1710. I would like to try them again sometime, as I have identified three or four mistakes that really hampered me. But I want to try something different; for my next game I hit the random nation button and am trying out Ratanpur, learning about India and Hindu mechanics etc. I also thought up a way to present the Venice game that might work. But I need to finish writing this one first!

Yes, one AAR at a time is the way, unless you want to end up like @Bullfilter and that way madness lies. :p
True words! :D I'm trying to get it back down to two again. ;)

I'd like to get into both V2 and EU4 at some point (and of course do some AARs) - but where to find the time? :eek: Good luck with this project @jscaco

Chapter 27 - Advent
Chapter 27 Advent

May 1645

All good things must come to an end,
thought Friedrich Wilhelm I after the various parties left after signing the peace treaties at his army camp in Liegnitz. Silesia yielded two provinces which Prussia had claims on. Only four provinces were peeled off from the Commonwealth, but Fredrich Wilhelm I made sure that they were sending their trade power to Prussia in addition to upfront and ongoing cash payments.

Cautiously, a minor official approached him, a stack of reports under his arm. Based on the degree of trepidation, Friedrich could tell there was probably some bad news included. It was useless to kill the messenger; he learned that early in his reign, but he liked keeping his subordinates on their toes. He silently but politely accepted the documents, then dismissed the official with a wave before reading them. The official briskly strolled away, his pace increasing as if he could feel Friedrich Wilhelm I’s stare on his back.

There was little new in the first few pages; it was merely a summary of several ongoing issues. While his attention was diverted in Poland, the rest of the empire was busy. Austria and Saxony had successfully reduced Bohemia in size by about a half. Bavaria had invaded and annexed the elector of the Palatinate. As Bavaria was too large to take Prussian demands to return unlawful territory seriously, Friedrich Wilhelm made a note to correct them at a later date. A new elector was needed, and as relations (and religions) improved, Saxony was deemed loyal enough to take back the title. The Netherlands ate another free city while Prussia was engaged elsewhere. This was now the second time this happened; they too would need to be corrected.

In fact, the further reduction of the Commonwealth and the prior breaking of Bohemia meant that new rivals were needed; the Netherlands were selected and placed on notice. The Papal States were selected as well to reflect Protestant Prussia’s attempt to transform Christianity. Great Britain had been rivaling Prussia for a few years, and Friedrich Wilhelm I saw no reason why he should not return the favor.

The next section of documents was an update on the various budding rebel movements within Prussia. Commonwealth separatists were on the verge of taking up arms again, the Lithuanian separatists were about half organized, and before the ink on the treaties was dry some Silesians were starting to lay the groundwork for a future rebellion. What caused him the most concern, however, was the Danzig separatists, who had revolted and formed an army sixteen thousand strong. A minor annoyance, but Danzig ate at him like an ulcer. An ulcer killed his cousin Georg Wilhelm I, he swore Danzig wouldn’t be end of him.

This most recent excursion into Poland had been beneficial to Prussia; some scholars were already claiming that his most recent actions had turned Prussia into one of the Great Powers of the world. However, the Empire was falling apart without him and he needed to return to Berlin. The Danzig situation needed to be sorted out, and he did not have the time nor the inclination to visit Danzig again. General Munchov would have all the fun for himself.

c27i1.png

October 1645

General Karl Munchov lead the main Prussian army through the streets of Marienburg. The separatist rebels were on the run, as was typical when a rebellion faced a well-funded army. While the men for the most part saw little distinction between rebels and the Commonwealth forces they had just faced (they were just an enemy to fight), Munchov didn’t think much of them and felt that they were barely worth his time.

It was good to spend a couple seasons fighting with his Emperor again, as they had spent so much time apart since he had risen to the throne. There wasn’t anyone, man or woman, that Karl Munchov loved more than Fredrich Wilhelm, though he knew that it was unlikely that the Emperor was capable of loving anyone. He said that he had loved the Empress Aniela, but she had been imprisoned and largely ignored. He said that he loved his son which he fished from the river. Munchov did not have any children, but he knew how the officers who did spoke about how they missed them and treasured letters about their progress growing up; Fredrich Wilhelm did none of those things.

The Emperor was not a man made for love, but for a purpose, and that purpose was Prussia, so Munchov would follow Friedrich Wilhelm I everywhere. He would go elsewhere only when Friedrich Wilhelm I ordered him elsewhere. He was proud to serve his Emperor, even if that service involved rooting out some boring rebels.

The cracks from a volley of musketfire snapped him out of his thoughts; he had been so wrapped up in the tedium of cleaning up the streets he had zoned out and almost forgotten that there was still a battle going on. In fact, as noise from the second volley burst out and men and horses cried out in warning and in pain, it would seem that he had chased some fleeing rebels into an ambush. How careless of him. He spun his horse around, but it was too late. Several wounds appeared on the side of his horse, who took off running down a side street for a couple hundred feet before collapsing. Gritting his teeth, Munchov prepared for impact as the cobblestones rushed up to meet him.

The fall was less impactful that he had anticipated, and he slowly got to his feet, dazed. He had been separated for the rest of the men. He looked back and saw a major wave at him, before the man’s hand was shot. He watched the rebels pull back as the surviving Prussians formed ranks and were reinforced by the company that was preceding them into the intersection. Glancing at the dead horse, he started to walk towards them when he felt a swift breeze followed by a sharp blade cut across his check. He came in contact with the cobblestones again, this time on his back. Through his right eye he watched a stream of blood follow him to the ground, through his left eye he could see nothing. A large man stepped over him, holding a short, curved sword.

Munchov could barely make out a bushy mustache and a crucifix necklace as the man leaned in close to inspect him.

“Got him.”

“Are you sure?” asked a second voice, a young female voice. “You really did a number on his face.”

“Karl Munchov. The Butcher of Ponzan. I’d recognize his face even if there was only a tenth of it left.”

“Then let’s get out of here before his men find him. For the Empress.”

“For the Empress.”

c27i2.png

December 1645

It was Christmas Eve in Berlin. 13 year-old Fredrich Wilhelm thanked God that his father was home again, though it was soon followed by the sour news that General Munchov had been killed battling rebels. Danzig was always a sore subject for Father, so Friedrich didn’t press the issue. He had developed several friendships with some of the young ladies of the court, but they had kept their distance from him once the Emperor had returned. By this time, Friedrich understood that the job of being Emperor involved constantly putting out fires.

The streets and every building were lined with trees that had been cut down, propped up and decorated. The new Christmas fad was spreading like crazy, but Friedrich doubted it would catch on. As the evening grew dark, he walked, with the rest of the court and many other people towards Zitzwitz Square. Many people were singing carols, most were carrying candles. More and more candles were being lit as the crowd grew larger. Some of the candles were even in the Christmas trees; Fredrich wondered how safe that was.

At the far side of Zitzwitz Square, the largest tree of them all was set up in front of a podium, men with poles were lighting the candles in its branches one by one. The royal procession made its way to the dais, guards keeping the festive crowd back. Friedrich followed Alred Armin and a half-dozen others the stairs and stood in his appointed spot. When the current Christmas carol ended, the Emperor stepped forward to wild applause. He began a speech about how he had just gifted six provinces to the Prussian people.

Young Friedrich was not impressed by the speech, and let is attention wander, when he saw some movement out of the corner of his eye. One of the workmen, a large fellow with a bushy mustache, was still lighting candles. Curious, Friedrich watched for a few seconds. The man deliberately lit one final candle before stepping backwards a couple of paces, looking up into the branches. Then he dropped his pole and rushed forwards to the base of the tree. Fredrich saw the light from the tree above grow in intensity, and several people in the crowd started to shout and point at it.

The tree burst into flames and started tipping forward. Fredrich saw the man run away, and several other people were running.

“MOVE!” Yelled Alfred Armin as he ran past, and Fredrich obeyed him. Looking over his shoulder, he saw hundreds of people pointing at the falling tree.

The Emperor was the last to see it. He turned around just in time to be crushed by the giant flaming fir tree. Unable to do anything, Friedrich stared in horror with most of the rest of the crowd. A couple guards rushed forward to try to rescue the Emperor, but then a burst of flame and needles emitted as the back of the tree exploded and they backed away.

Friedrich came to his senses when he spotted the workman with the bushy mustache moving through the stunned crowd.

“It was him!” he shouted as he pointed. “He pushed the tree!”

Alfred Armin turned to look. “Get him!” he ordered the guards.

When the workman noticed that he had been spotted, he started running. Fredrich and Armin and dozens of others pursued. When the man noticed that he was surrounded, he pulled a flintlock pistol from his coat and placed it against his own head.

“For the Empress!” he said before pulling the trigger.

Friedrich stared blankly at the corpse before a rush of people gathered around, Armin pushing people aside and ordering the guards to make a perimeter. A sudden burst of noise and heat made turn back towards the burning tree, as the stage platform collapsed into the inferno. A few people found some buckets of water or some sand, but it the flames were too intense.

Empress? Who is he talking about? What Empress?Thought Friedrich Wilhelm II a second before he realized what had just happened.

c27i3.png

(I did not realize this at the time, but when I took those provinces off Silesia, I forced Silesia to move their capital. Their only remaining territory was outside the Empire so therefore they left it. Lost a prince, but it was a heretical prince so a net gain for IA generation)

Last edited:
A catastrophe! Just as the emperor returns from a successful war with a list if things to do to strengthen the HRE he is struck down at the height of his powers and replaced by a child and a regency council.
Clearly heads will need to roll for this outrage.

At least the imperial title remains with the family in Prussia, we thank God for small mercies.

Only 2 years of regency to endure.

Poor Friedrich Wilhelm II. I'm sure that was quite traumatic. I was thinking Danzig seperatist assassination to fit the story, but when I noticed the datestamp of Dec 24 my imagination ran with it. It may be a bit silly, but FW1 will go down as as a ruler with one of the most memorable deaths in this alt-history. I may have ruined Christmas for poor FW2. I may even have ruined it for the entire German cultural psyche.

Chapter 28 - Family Reunion
Chapter 28 – Family Reunion

March 1647

“Emperor, you have a visitor.”

Friedrich Wilhelm II looked up from his book. The doorman was staring back at him, a puzzled look on his face. Even though the electors confirmed him as Emperor of the HRE, he was still a minor. While he sat in on regency council meetings or observed Manfred von Seel oversee the Landtag, no one came directly to him for anything. For example, representatives from the vassal of Hesse were currently meeting with Adolf Finck to arrange a new production and trade deal.

“Send them in.” he said, curiously.

A woman entered, with a small child in tow, holding her hand and hiding behind her. Friedrich always got on well with women, although he was finding himself more attracted to those that were a decade or so older than him. Lately, he had been spending a lot of time with Hannelore von Blixen of Mecklenburg, who had something of a motherly quality.

“Emperor, thank you for seeing us. We’ve never met, but we are related. I am your cousin, Emperor Georg Wilhelm I’s, daughter.”

Fredrich Wilhelm II blinked. “Princess Anna Maria von Gersdorff?”

“Yes, that’s me.”

“It’s just that...I never thought I’d meet any of the close relatives. And who is this?”

“This is my son, Emil.”

Friedrich Wilhelm II awkwardly shook Emil’s little hand. “Where have you been all these years?”

“My mother sent me out of Danzig to protect me from those who wished to commit treason in my name, and also from those who may have wished to kill me to stop them, such as your father unfortunately.”

That did not surprise Friedrich, his father was a vary violent man. Of course, violence, applied strategically was necessary to govern, as Alfred Armin was teaching him. After the assassination of his father, Armin had vowed to finish young Friedrich’s “education”. Aggressive arrests, tortures and killings among known dissidents and various separatists did not yield any clues as to whom the Christmas Assassin worked for.

“I secretly left with the Swiss army that had lifted the siege of Danzig. I later married a Swiss mercenary commander. He died in one of the internal HRE wars that broke out whenever Prussia’s attention was focused outside the Empire. Now that your father is dead too, I felt like it was safe to return to Prussia, but then the epidemic hit so I waited to travel.”

Last year, influenza struck Ruppin, as it had during the reign of Princess Anna’s namesake. He had agreed with the regency council that aggressively quarantining the surrounding area was necessary. The infection was stopped in its tracks, though the economy suffered. Friedrich Wilhelm II was liked even less in certain quarters than before. Someone named Siegfried Anhalt-Dessau, a descendent from the father of George Wilhelm I, Albrecht von Schlotheim, via a daughter of his second marriage, was rumored to be considering pressing a claim to the throne if Friedrich Wilhelm II turned out to be as tyrannical as his father.

“I don’t blame you for wanting to avoid my father’s wrath; it descended on many who did not deserve it. But my father was killed in your mother’s name, if you who you say you are. How do I know your story is true?”

“My mother can confirm it.”

“And where is she?”

“I was hoping that you could help me figure that out.”
c28i1.png

November 1647

The distant rattling of keys, and many footsteps, very quiet at first but gradually getting louder, stirred Empress Aniela from her vacant trance in her secure but well-furnished prison cell. The days had turned into years and she had lost all sense of time. Occasionally, someone would feed her, but this sounded like many more people than the small groups of guards she usually saw.

“I’m sorry, Emperor, we were not expecting you.” Said the warden, “Your father made us swear to speak to no one about the prisoner.”

“The fact that you were loyal enough to keep to that oath,” replied a younger voice. “Is the only reason you are not occupying a cell yourself. I discovered the truth about her in my father’s secret files as soon as I came of age and had access to them. I mean to see her for myself.”

“Yes, Emperor. Right this way.”

“I don’t have all day. Not only is Anhalt-Dessau pressing his claim, but the Silesians and the Lithuanians have both risen up. I have meetings to attend to get them sorted out.”

“I had no idea about any rebellions, Emperor. We are often the last to get news up here.” The footsteps stopped and Aniela heard the jiggling of the keys in the lock. She briefly panicked, thinking that Friedrich Wilhelm I was visiting her again after all these years, but then she realized that the voice was quite different.

When the door opened, Aniela was stunned to see not only a young man leading the party down the hall, but her own daughter Anna standing behind him. Her curiosity about him was only outdone by her joy at seeing Anna again. She wanted to leap up and embrace her, but she was still disoriented by the change in routine.

“Empress Aniela? Is that you?” asked the young man. Aneila nodded.

“I am Friedrich Wilhelm II von Gersdorff, King of Prussia and Holy Roman Emperor.” He continued.

Aniela found her words once she knew the intruder’s identity. “Friedrich Wilhelm II....so you are the boy?”

“I guess I am,” he said, kneeling before her. “And are you....my mother?”

Aniela noticed Anna smiling and subtly nodding behind the young Emperor. She looked Friedrich Wilhelm II in the eyes and wondered what sort of man this baby that Friedrich Wilhelm I allegedly found floating in a river had grown up to become. Seeing the hope in his eyes and the cues her daughter was given her, Aniela knew that the answer she gave would be impactful.

“Yes.” She lied, opening her arms to hug him.

c28i2.png

April 1650

Manfred von Seel had forgotten all about the Empress Aniela in the intervening years since her arrest. Various rebellions had been occupying the Prussian government’s attention during the first few years of Emperor Friedrich Wilhelm II. While Aneila had been returning to the court and diplomatic scene, von Seel had paid her little mind. Almost as little mind as he gave when the Emperor announced his engagement to Hannelore of Mecklenburg, a distant relative almost twice his age. Manfred was content in his role as Speaker of the Landtag, glad to find a lucrative job in late life that mostly required sitting and occasionally enforcing his authority.

Now Aniela was addressing the Landtag. After months of negotiation, she was ready to confess to her crimes and correct the official record in the presence of God and all the Prussian officials and legislators.

“I secretly married Friedrich Wilhelm I after Georg Wilhelm I died,” she said, “We were madly in love. We could not wait to be together and planned to announce our wedding publicly once a period of mourning had passed. Our current Emperor is the result of that union. However, when I saw that Friedrich Wilhelm I had no intention of respecting Danzig’s status as an autonomous Prussian vassal, I left to commit treason and support the Danzig separatists.

“Fredrich Wilhelm I justly imprisoned me for my actions, but he needed a lie to tell the people about the origin of his son to protect Prussia from embarrassment. He would let everyone assume Friedrich Wilhelm II was a legitimatized bastard, with the tale of him being found in the reeds cooked up to throw any would-be investigators off the trail.

“But I swear now, before God and man, that Fredrich Wilhelm II is my true born son, and his nephew Emil is his heir. He has pardoned me for my crimes and has requested that the Landtag officially reaffirm the legitimacy of the von Gersdorff dynasty, disprove the propaganda of his detractors, and amend the official record wherever it may be incorrect.”

The assembled representatives, freshly bribed, almost tripped over themselves as they raced to call a vote and pass official support for the ruling dynasty.

c28i3.png

Chapter 29 - Children of the Empire
November 1653

Hannelore admired her figure in the mirror, proud of her plumpness and the bulge in her womb. She was almost at term, ready to deliver her first child after many years of waiting.

Her first husband was much older than her, and unfortunately was not very capable in the bedroom. She often thought and fantasized about the boys she had known when she was a teenager in Mecklenburg and was fascinated when she met the young heir to the empire. He was a lost boy, raised without a mother, and always in the shadow of his notorious father. When his father died, she was able to provide him with a comforting shoulder. When Empress Aniela and Princess Anna reemerged from hiding, Hannelore was able to provide him with advice handling these new relatives, though she did not trust them and wondered what their game was. As more people were outraged by Fredrich Wilhelm II’s effort to secure his rule, she was able to provide the loving assurance and guidance that these “relatives” could not.

When she married the Emperor, she was happy to find the young man vigorous and willing to please. Soon her dream of becoming a mother would come true. However, she must also make sure to ensure her legacy.

“Oh Friedrich dear,” she said, musically.

“What is it, sweetie?” Friedrich Wilhelm II answered from the next room.

“Remember what we talked about? About Emil?”

Silence.

“It’s just...I was thinking about the discoveries in your father’s files about your sister. We don’t know if it’s true or not, but it would explain why she was sent away. But if it is true...that would make Emil ineligible to be heir.”

“And now that we are to have children of our own,” replied Friedrich Wilhelm II, “it would be best that one of them succeeds us, yes. But after all that trouble to get my mother legally recognized, it would not be very prestigious to abandon Emil.”

“Emil would be a terrible ruler. He’s not a very diplomatic boy.”

“No disagreement there. But we don’t even know if we will have a boy or a girl yet.”

“Are you afraid of what the people would think if you went back on your word? That hasn’t stopped you before. It didn’t stop you with Bohemia.”

Two years ago, Prussia had invaded Bohemia under the pretext of a conquest casus belli. However, Friedrich Wilhelm II’s true objective was to convert the remnant of the once-large Reformed power to Protestant. The war was settled quickly and nudged the empire slightly more towards religious unity, but Friedrich Wilhelm II’s deceitful actions contributed to his growing malevolent reputation.

After a pause, Friedrich Wilhelm II responded.

“Very well.”

c29i1.png

August 1655

Johann VI von Blixen maneuvered through the raucous crowd, trying to find his seat. With the prominence of the Landtag, the nobles were not as prominent in the Diets. They had become the domain of the Clergy and the Burghers. The nobility was technically still invited to the diets, and this particular Diet involved an issue few could ignore.

As the Duke of Mecklenburg, he was technically invited as well, but as a vassal state technically he had no vote. He still enjoyed the excuse to make the trip to Berlin though and always enjoyed catching up with his new extended family.

His father, Hans von Blixen, was appointed to rule the duchy of Mecklenburg after marrying into the powerful von Derfflinger family, which itself had married into the genealogically complex family of the von Gersdorffs. The circle was completed when his older sister Hannelore married the young Emperor, and now they had a couple small children; another Friedrich Wilhelm, a daughter named Vera and a third on the way.

Johann had noticed that the other members of the Emperor’s family were giving him the cold shoulder, though he could not figure out why. Princess Anna and Emil were polite but distant. The Empress Aniela, however, tried to avoid talking to him and was extremely short when he was successful. He also noticed, at a recent meal, that she was ignoring her younger grandchildren and focused on Emil. It was a confusing change in her. She was in her mid-sixties, so Johann wondered if her mind was starting to go soft.

“There you are, von Blixen!” hollered a familiar voice. Johann VI turned to see the Duke of Pomerania, his neighbor vassal.

“Glad to see you!” Johann replied, barely able to hear himself over the crowd.

“What do you think about the Emperor’s proposal?” the Pomeranian asked as he took his seat next to Johann VI.

“Honestly, I haven’t really had much of a chance to look at it. But the Emperor assured me that it is a good plan to help the Prussian economy support a larger army.”

The Pomeranian Duke was skeptical. “I know you like the Emperor, but you owe it to your realm to read the proposal yourself. It won’t affect us vassals immediately or directly, but if we were ever to be annexed with these laws in effect, we would be giving up a host of rights.”

“If that is true, I’ll have to check with the Emperor.”

The Pomeranian scoffed. “You told me before your sister married him that you were concerned about the behavior of the Emperor in enforcing his rule. You were right then. We may need to stand up for our rights as vassals; can I still trust you to stand with me, as you pledged then?”

Johann VI was confused. “I don’t see any conflict...”

“Not now,” the Duke interrupted, “But soon.”

The crowd suddenly grew silent, as the Emperor, Speaker von Seel and several of the more prominent Prussian nobles entered the chamber together. Some of them were the loudest opponents of the proposal. As von Seel opened the season, Johann overheard some of the people around him wondering what sort of backroom deal was struck to get those holdout nobles onto his side.

As von Seel read out the amended proposal, it seemed to Johann’s ears to be even better. The nobility would not be surrendering as many rights as previously thought. The burghers seemed to be more outraged than ever, but Johann knew enough about politics to know that you can’t please everybody.

c29i2.png

June 1659

Friedrich Wilhelm II took solace and joy in being able to create a family with Hannelore. His own father, mother and sister had always been emotionally distant, and it seemed that the von Blixens valued family highly and taught him how to be a parent.

Hans von Blixen had lived long enough to hold Friedrich Wilhelm Jr and Vera. In his honor the third child was named Hans. His new brother-in-law, Duke Johann VI spoiled and took an interest in the children whenever they visited Berlin, so Friedrich emulated his example with Johann’s children. As Georg, Anna and Hildegard followed in quick succession, the contrast between the interest between the von Blixens and the von Gersdorffs in the family was more and more noticeable.

Hannelore was glad to have more children than she ever dreamt of, but equally glad to reach the end of her childbearing years. Friedrich himself, as much as he enjoyed the domestic life, had to admit that with six children under eight running around it was nice to take a break from time to time. Even if that break took the form of a council meeting running long.

Alred Armin had been updating the team on the results of the recent invasion of Silesia.

Friedrich Wilhelm II had put the laws developed at the last diet into effect, militarized the country, and prepared to move on the last province needed to complete the acquisition of Silesia. It was a significant war, with powerful allies such as Bavaria, Austria and Sweden coming to its defense. The Ottomans were also guaranteeing Silesia and joined the fight despite being tied up in a separate war with Russia over Poland. Prussia and its couture of small vassals and mid-sized allies were up the challenge though. He had concentrated on taking the Bavarians out of the fight first, forcing them to release the Palatinate and Ulm and making them regret ignoring previous requests to return unlawful territory.

Then, once Silesia was ready to surrender the single province there really wasn’t any point in the prolonging the conflict with larger powers. The Statesman Adolf Finck noted that the Silesian government went into exile in territory that they owned outside the Empire and technically were no longer members. They were a Reformed state, though, so the empire may have been better off.

The Artist, Denis Zitwitz, was showing off the new borders in a map of Prussia that he had just painted. By completing this area, Prussia had gained some scattered claims of territory within the Rhineland. But Fredrich Wilhelm II really started paying attention when Adolf’s son Kurt pointed out that sone of the new claims abutted the Netherlands. Friedrich liked Kurt, their children often played and were taught together. He shared Friedrich’s view that the Netherlands needed to receive the same treatment that Bavaria and Bohemia received.

Now that he had princes for children, the Emperor started to think of the princes of the Empire as his children. They all needed an opportunity to thrive, but those that set a bad example needed to be punished.
c29i.png

(I abandoned the Ratanpur game...it was a challenging start in one of the least developed parts of India. Expanded okay to start, but then I misjudged Bahamins (thought that Vajinagar would be a good ally because they take over all of India in my other games, but they were insanely ineffective as allies) and entered another defeat/bankruptcy/defeat spiral as Janapur piled on. Kept up the fight for a while, but when I found myself down to four low dev jungle provinces and facing the prospect of downsizing my army and/or going bankrupt again my heart wasn't in it. I hit the random nation button again and am having a go as Saxe-Lauenburg. First time in post-1.30 HRE. Interesting start. Excellent ruler but he's in his late 50s, $%^$ heir who is 2. I may just disinherit him. (edit: no that justs makes me inherited by Anhalt. guess im stuck with the kid)Single province between higher-dev Lubeck and Hamburg. They both rivaled me. Killing Lubeck is priority number one...nip that trade league in the bud. I enjoyed the dance of the OPMs while playing in NA so I hope for similar tactics here. Only concern is Austria...I do not want to go to all that trouble and then be forced to return them. Maybe vassalizing them and making them send me their trade power is the way to go. IDK.)

Last edited:
Things are going very well with Prussia (if not with Ratanpur!). More work to stop those reformed states causing trouble within the HRE is always nice to see, and forcing Bavaria to release not one but two new members was a triumph.

Shame about the new heir though (from a gameplay point of veiw anyway). Not really much better than the one he "usurped." Made perfect sense from a story point of view of course so all is well.