• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh my, that is an impressive alliance stack the Poles have bought to the game, at least Norway refused.

A great deal of your war effort will depend on how competent Austria are with dealing with the Ottomans, an uncomfortable position to be in.

However I am sure this time Von Quitzow will have the bravery and skill to seize the final victory!

Hamburg, Switzerland and Ansbach are good protestant allies withen the HRE. Venice was choosen as potential counterweight or at least distraction for Austria and a bloated Savoy. Austria was a tough nut for me to crack in both of my earlier AARs, so I did not want to underestimate them. Russia wasn't interested in allying with tiny Brandenburg, so the Ottomans were the only large ally I could get that would be of any use.

I have no idea why I allied Norway. Maybe geographical balance?

Chapter 17 - Recovery
Chapter 17 – Recovery

May 1588

Markus von Quitzow had his doubts and concerns about inviting the unholy Muslims of the Ottoman Empire to assist, but they proved to be an ideal counter to the misguided Reformed heretics of the Commonwealth. While the adherents of the two false religions slaughtered each other, the Brandenburg army focused on retaking lost land and even expanding their borders further. The Ottomans were content to be given only a single province for their trouble, so at least their worrisome expansion was slowed for another cycle of truces.

The only major struggle was in taking these fortifications in Kolberg. A larger force of elite Austrians forced the siege to be abandoned several times, including one attempt that broke down into a devastating fighting retreat. In the end, the fort fell and a peace deal quickly reached before the Austrians could meet on the field again.

Brandenburg dignity had been restored, and the whole ducal family had come to tour the area. Markus von Quitzow had caught the occasional glimpse of them moving about the fortress from the room he was using as an office on the second floor. The elder duchess Jelena was still going strong at age 58, claiming first pick of the loot from the captured territories. Anna Maria I was showing 4-year-old Georg Wilhelm the view of the sea from the top of the Kolberg castle.

The castle used to be the home of Magdalena I, so Markus thought there was a malevolent spirt to the place. When the Gersdorff’s came to power, it was assigned to Anna Maria’s uncle Christian as his new seat. He had not had time to visit it before the Poles took it, but he was here now, overseeing the repair crews and letting his children, Christian Jr and Miriam, run around and explore their new home.

Markus felt the prince-consort Albrecht clasp his shoulder and congratulate him again on a successful campaign. This war was the perfect opportunity for Albrecht to demonstrate his grasp of strategy and military organization to both his subjects and the allies of the Protestant League.

“Well done, General. Brandenburg is now back on course.”

“If you say so, my Prince.”

“It is. Now that I have a chance to talk to you alone, did you find the library? Was it still intact, after all that conflict?”

“It was.”

“Excellent. And did you find Johann Georg I’s diary?”

“I did. Here,” Markus von Quitzow retrieved a leather-bound tome from the shelf and handed it to the prince-consort, “although I don’t know why it deserves all this secrecy.”

Albrecht started paging through the diary, “There is evidence that he was working on plans for a new form of government, a sort of militarized kingdom. The only evidence I have been able to find are occasional references in official records and statements from a few of the old timers who were around then. Magdelena I moved all of his personal documents here after he died. If he wrote down any thoughts on how such a government would come about, it would be in here.”

c17i1.png

November 1591

Albrecht lay on the ground of his balcony, enjoying some sunlight before the brightness and heat became unbearable. He slowly got to his feet, glad that he was able to walk without vomiting for the first time in over a week. Once back inside, he collapsed into a chair, his head spinning but his condition much improved.

Two winters ago, the first reports of influenza cropped up in western Brandenburg, and before long alarming reports of the casualties started arriving. When presented with the option to quarantine the province, Anna Maria I had scoffed and said that the disease would likely pass in a few weeks and the deaths of relatively few were not worth the economic cost of a lockdown. Jelena concurred, boldly stating that the disruption of the income stream would cause more death than the disease.

However, the disease did not go away and instead exploded across Brandenburg. Under immense public pressure, Anna Maria had instituted a quarantine over most of the country. The economic damage was far greater than would have occurred had smaller measures been implemented earlier and more aggressively, though.

Jelena had retreated to her estate outside of the city. She continued to issue orders to her business managers, forcing them to keep workers on the front lines while she was able to isolate safely. Albrecht had lost a lot of respect for her, but still decided to send Georg Wilhelm and his cousins Christian Jr and Miriam to live with her as the deaths within Berlin increased. As much as it pained them to be separated from their son, Albrecht had managed to convince his wife of the necessity. This turned out to be a smart move, as eventually the influenza made its way through the palace.

The spymaster Jakob von Quernheim was among the first to succumb to the disease and perish. The Landtag was suspended when several members fell ill, Christian Gersdorff Sr among them. He managed to hold on for several days, but eventually Uncle Christian died as well. Anna Maria’s food taster was the next to go, and then the Elector and Electress themselves fell sick.

Albrecht remembered trying to read some more of Johann Georg I’s diary but would up reading the same page over and over trying to focus. He was struggling to keep his sinuses clear and food down. Eventually, irritation from the light and smoke form the candles made reading impossible and before long breathing became a chore. He had days of angry and feverish dreams, unsure of the passage of time. He remembered being fed concoctions to drink, being bled by leeches, being asked confusing questions. At some point, he remembered his wife being carried away...

After vomiting again, Albrecht curled up into a ball on the floor while the emotional reality of the last few weeks hit him, mingled with the lasting effects of the illness and incapacitated him for another half hour or so. Eventually he pulled himself back up and managed to eat a few more bites of food without feeling nauseous again and was able to fully consider his situation.

Jelena had the children, and he could thank God that they were healthy out in the countryside. Did she know yet? It was hard to tell how much time had passed. The advisors, the church officials and the Landtag would support him as regent; he was more popular than Jelena. He was credited with winning back territory from the Commonwealth that Jelena’s husband had lost. Georg Wilhelm I was now the hope of the nation, but he was only a boy of six. It was the father’s duty to prepare the way for the son.

He rang a bell to summon a nurse. It would probably be days before he would be able to leave his chambers, but it would be important for news of him being healthier to spread, and he needed to write some letters...

c17i2.png

December 1595

Georg Wilhelm spent most of the rest of his childhood playing with his dear cousins and studying with Grandmother at her estate. He barely remembered his mother, but most people spoke fondly of her and everyone had a funny story. He was able to see is father at least once a year, but running the country kept him extremely busy. When they did meet, he often asked Georg Wilhelm about his studies and asked questions on how he would run Brandenburg once he turned 15. The meetings were brief, but Georg Wilhelm left them feeling appreciated and smart, at least until it was time for his father to leave. Grandmother said that he did not love him as much as she did, and often disapproved of the topics of conversation or the solutions they came up with.

However, his cousin Christian had snuck into Grandmother’s study one night and brought back a stack of letters that she had been withholding. They were full of questions on government and words of love and memories of his mother. He wondered why she was trying to keep them apart; Christian said that she changed after the influenza claimed her daughter and brother-in-law and was losing her mind. He often vowed to run away and take up the family seat in Kolberg once he came of age.

Grandmother was always excited to show him how finances worked, and showed him the ins and outs of taxation, trade, and the various businesses she had invested in. Georg Wilhelm started seeing her in a new light. He was happy to learn how they worked, but was starting to question some of her tactics, and why so much money was diverted to odd accounts.

When Markus von Quitzow, or the master of mind Ernst von Derfflinger, visited the estate they would bring news of the outside world, and Gerog Wilhelm started asking more questions about his father and grandmother. Markus simply told him that they had different opinions on how he was raised, and that he should obey his grandmother for now. Ernst explained to him how people who loved the same person could sometimes appear to hate each other, and that he should forgive his grandmother because she was not healthy. When Georg Wilhelm asked to be taken away and to visit his father, Ernst assured him he was safest with his grandmother right now. He did agree to deliver letters and go around Grandmother, and brought him news and books from the outside world.

Hamburg had called upon Brandenburg to return the favor and help them with an offensive war last year. Their objective was to claim the remainder of the Jutland peninsula, which was held by Cleaves, or more accurately heretical rebel militias. In the chaos, the nation of Friesland declared independence from Cleaves. Five months later, though, they abandoned independence and joined the Republic of the Netherlands, the newest power to emerge within the Holy Roman Empire.

The war was brief. Hamburg rushed into the rebel-held areas and took control of the peninsula while Brandenburg and the other allies sieged down the other holdings with minimal resistance, forcing Nassau to regain its independence. Grandmother was excited to hear that war reparations were also part of the deal in one of the few times she spoke highly of his father.

There was also concern with the Reformed provinces in the eastern portion of the country; while his father was sending missionaries to show them how the state church operated, there was concern that a disaster of religious turmoil could boil over. However, his father had enacted the Popery Act, offering a cash prize to anyone turning in priests who were not supporting the Protestant way of thinking. The missionaries found their work easier and disaster was averted as the citizens of those provinces came around.

Another item that Georg Wilhelm found particularly interesting was that the Pope had decreed that Canada was the sole domain of Scotland, and that it was a sin for any other Catholic power to settle there. He had enjoyed a good laugh at the silliness of the Catholics, but there was something on the map of the colony of Nova Scotia that caught his eye. There was a small settlement there called Albrecht, just like his father. He wondered why a Scottish colony would have a German name for a town.

The item that Georg Wilhelm treasured the most, however, was a book that Markus had given him. It was an old book, leather bound. Markus explained that his father wanted him to read it, and that it would be very important to understanding how to rule Brandenburg. It was a diary, that of the Prince Johann Georg I, who had come to power a century ago. It was a difficult read, full of words that he did not know, but he found it more fascinating than any of his lessons. Johann Georg I had started it when he was not much older than Georg Wilhelm, and he found that he could relate to the ancient prince, who also had a father who was absent most of the time, and the more he learned about him the more he liked.

c17i3.png

(Author’s Note: This chapter was written in late June 2020, while the gameplay itself took place in mid-March 2020. If you are reading this in the far future, this was right in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic, and I confess my frustrations with the situation poured out onto the page. In my other games when faced with this event I always choose to quarantine, but based on the IRL debate at the time on how to respond to COVID I tried not closing down the province, and surprise surprise it quickly spread and within a few years Anna Maria mysteriously died. Now it really isn’t fair to compare an event chain in a game to real life, and every disease is different, but using world history as guide there are plenty of examples of what general tactics and mindsets will exasperate an epidemic. I am trying to be vague and apolitical, but some may not see it that way; if I violate any community standards regarding that sort of speech I will edit it but I have vulnerable loved ones so I have strong feelings about this. TY for understanding and stay healthy everyone.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Some decent progress made both in the east and the west of the realm. Land taken from Poland for Brandenburg, land taken from Cleaves for Hamburg and the alliance with the powerful Ottomans cemented with a war.

Not the mention a lot of good signs from the training of the future ruler. He should be a glorious one once he's of age.

Chapter 18 - New Men
Chapter 18 – New Men

November 1599

Georg Wilhelm I woke up on the morning of his fifteenth birthday. As the low winter sun beamed through his window, he wondered about his status. Would anyone in the household recognize him as the Prince-Elector? Would his grandmother acknowledge the day? Would he have to find his own way to Berlin? Would she let him? Would there be challengers to the title, as his mother and grandfather had faced?

He was surprised, when he walked down the stairs, to be greeted by several dozen people who burst into applause. Ernst von Derfflinger announced him and led the group in bowing before him respectfully. He then proclaimed his loyalty to Georg Wilhelm I, which was soon seconded by the general Markus von Quitzow and then by the other members of the court in turn.

Georg Wilhelm was pleased to see his cousin Christian was present; he had not seen him for a couple of years. He had married von Derfflinger’s daughter, and they already had twin boys. The cousins smiled brightly at each other while Christian echoed the vows of loyalty.

His other cousin, Miriam, sadly was not present. The sudden growth of Brandenburg had gotten the attention of Tsar Dmitriy VII; what was once a rump state on the fringes of the Holy Roman Empire was now respected as a regional power again. After dropping the useless ally of Norway, a new alliance was formed with Russia, and Miriam had married Dmitriy VII to seal the deal.

He glanced over at his grandmother, who was still seated. She was smiling and applauding with the rest, but Georg Wilhelm knew that she was sulking on the inside; she had gone on another unhinged rant about losing her babies the night before. Georg Wilhelm had fantasized about ordering her about or banishing her from his room once he became Elector, but now that he had he saw her for what she was: A self-centered old woman who would never change. And he loved her for who she was.

When he stepped out of the mansion, he saw a lone figure waiting outside. He removed his oversized hat, revealing the face of his father, Albrecht von Schlotheim. Albrecht echoed the words of fealty as his son slowly walked towards him. From about two feet apart the two men paused and looked at each other. The crowd from inside slowly fanned out. After a few seconds, Georg Wilhelm I stuck out his arm, and shook his father’s hand.

c18i1.png

September 1600

His head pounding after a night of partying, Chrisitan von Gersdorff was eventually roused from his sleep when the knocking at his door became louder than the headache knocking on the inside of his skull. He gradually found his feet and was able to open it up, revealing his cousin Georg Wilhelm I and the general Markus von Quitzow.

“I’m sorry,” he said, looking down, “was there a meeting today?”

“There is now,” said Georg as he walked in and helped himself to a seat, “Cousin, are you happy?”

Christian was confused, “What do you mean? Of course I am.”

“I am concerned. Ever since we moved to Berlin, you haven’t sent for your family, I still haven’t met the boys.”

“They are safer in Kolberg.” In truth, he was glad to be away from them. He wasn’t cut out to be a family man, and had only married the von Derfflinger girl under pressure from the two families once she got pregnant. He was not even certain that he was the father.

“That may be so. But you are out cavorting and carousing every night. While you have been mostly discrete, you have been with other women. I would hate for there to be a moral scandal.”

“How do you know about them?”

“You told me.”

Abashed, Christian did not know what to say. He was not used to his younger cousin challenging him.

“I have been talking with the general,” resumed Georg Wilhelm I, “And we think it would do you some good to take on some additional responsibilities. There is a war on, and we need to be prepared for the worst.”

Only a month after he had claimed leadership of Brandenburg, Hamburg had requested his help with the invasion of Cologne. The war was still in the early stages, but once again Brandenburg and Austria found themselves on opposite sides.

“I have decided to officially proclaim you as my heir apparent, just in case something happens.”

“Thank you, Georg. But you are not at risk.”

“Not necessarily true. We are not just going to set around in Berlin and manage the war from afar. We are going to lead armies like the Electors of old.”

Christian resisted the urge to roll his eyes. Georg Wilhelm I practically worshiped the old Hohenzollerns. But one word from his cousin cut through his hangover and got his attention. “What do you mean by ‘we’?”

c18i2.png

March 1602

“Are you sure that he will listen to our proposal?” asked Gerog Beyse, the trader who had recently joined the court.

“Yes,” replied Ernst von Derfflinger as the two advisors waited in the hall, “Our young Elector is very open to new ideas and new ways of managing the government.” Georg Wilhelm I had just last month enacted several such ideas. He was back in Berlin after being out in the field for a while, the war against Cologne was proceeding well; Cologne itself was fully occupied and progress was being made towards convincing Cologne’s allies to leave the fight. Brandenburg had its army split into smaller groups that avoided direct contact with the enemy and focused on retaking isolated patches of territory.

Georg Wilhelm’s father, Albrecht von Schlotheim, was serving as speaker of the Landtag and had several bills to present to his son. The Brandenburg National Bank was established to centralize the economy, for one. Also, General von Quitzow had developed a “goose-step” technique for the soldiers under his command to maintain battlelines while advancing into cannon fire; Georg Wilhelm I ensured that the technique was adopted across the army.

Beyse and von Derfflinger had spent months drafting and refining their own economic development plan. It had been ridiculed by von Schlotheim and most of the other MPs, so when word reached the capital that Georg Wilhelm I was returning they had quickly arranged for a meeting, hoping to bring their proposal directly to the Elector himself.

After an almost intolerably long wait, they were admitted to the Elector’s office, and stood in silence as the young man thumbed through their draft, full of plans for increased commercial protectionism and regulations.

“Radical,” judged Georg Wilhelm I, examining the thick stack of papers in his lap.

“Necessary,” said Ernst von Derfflinger

“Profitable,” said Georg Beyse

“I don’t know about that,” replied the Elector, “These regulations will hamper the growth of business. Are you sure you are a professional trader?”

“Yes, my Prince...” replied Georg Beyse

“Because this section here,” continued Georg Wilhelm I, pointing to a passage, “has me concerned. It will destabilize Brandenburg while we adapt to the new regulations, and we cannot afford that right now. The Ottomans have invaded the Commonwealth again on their own accord, and I intend to capitalize on the situation.”

Ernst von Derfflinger swallowed nervously while Georg Wilhelm I examined at the two men. It seemed that he had misjudged the young Elector. As much as his father had influenced his approach to running the government, his grandmother had influenced his economic philosophy.

“Ernst, I thought you were too level-headed to be taken in by such radical ideas. There will be no more talk about this. Return to your duties. Mr. Beyse, I no longer have confidence in your ability to represent the interests of Brandenburg. I want your letter of resignation by the end of the day.”
c18i3.png

Some decent progress made both in the east and the west of the realm. Land taken from Poland for Brandenburg, land taken from Cleaves for Hamburg and the alliance with the powerful Ottomans cemented with a war.

Not the mention a lot of good signs from the training of the future ruler. He should be a glorious one once he's of age.

There is a certain feeling with him that I am back on track. The last three rulers, as colorful as they were, were liabilities. Though the "Succession" event put me in an awkward situation with the heir being older than the ruler. Those von Gersdorffs...

If our brave leader wants to lead his armies in person it would be prudent of him to produce an heir in a more traditional fashion...

Technology is advancing along nicely, something always very nice to see. The decisiveness shown with the dismissal of Georg Beyse shows a monarch who knows his own mind. I only hope Ernst von Derfflinger does not hold a grudge over the firing of his friend...

If our brave leader wants to lead his armies in person it would be prudent of him to produce an heir in a more traditional fashion...

I think i had both of them as generals in the field...I really wasnt sure how to handle the older heir situation other than try to get one of them killed.

It would be nice if we knew who the second and third in line were, and if the heir could change as people are born.

Technology is advancing along nicely, something always very nice to see. The decisiveness shown with the dismissal of Georg Beyse shows a monarch who knows his own mind. I only hope Ernst von Derfflinger does not hold a grudge over the firing of his friend...

Decisive, yes. Just like his mother. Well-educated, but a narrow worldview. A good judge of other people. He might be confident and thinks he knows his own mind, but he still is only 17 at this point. He might overestimate himself...

Chapter 19 - Christian Soldiers
Chapter 19 Christian Soldiers

July 1602

Still covered in soot and in disbelief, Georg Wilhelm I walked into the small town where many of the survivors of the battle were regrouping. Earlier that day, he had received a message that Christian Albrecht I of Saxony had been elected emperor. At first, it seemed like good news. Saxony was closer and less mountainous than Austria, so it should be easier to defeat the Catholic League and force religious change.

Among the officers, though, there was division. Already tensions were high between the old nobility and those who rose through the ranks. They soon started arguing over whether it was a better option to attack Saxony or Bohemia, and Georg Wilhelm I had insisted that they focus on the war at hand: a lightning strike to enforce Brandenburgian claims on Konigsberg while the Commonwealth was overrun with Ottomans. The fortress at Tuchola had to be taken first, though, and they had been waiting on a siege when the news came.

Of course, he himself had forgotten that there was a second war going on; the Hamburgian invasion of Cologne. Despite the fact that Cologne was fully occupied, and their ally of Munster dropped out of the war, it was still raging. But one thing he did not expect was for the Cologne army to show up in the middle of Poland. The enemy wasted no time attacking the Brandenburgians while they were focused on the siege.

Hour later, the survivors gathered in the small town to spend the night before resuming the retreat back to Berlin. Georg Wilhelm I could not believe how he had been routed so thoroughly, and what would happen to Brandenburg if the Commonwealth reached a treaty with the Ottomans.

“There you are, my Prince.” It was Markus von Quitzow, who had been held in reserve. The more experienced general had been involved in some skirmishes with the Austrians allied to Cologne, but for this second war Georg had taken charge.

Gerog Wilhelm was still in shock. He indicated towards a wagon packed with wounded soldiers that had gotten stuck in a rut, crying out as the drivers violently pushed on it trying to free it. “Is it worth it? All the death?”

Von Quitzow sighed, “A question I have asked myself many times.”

“Have you found an answer?”

“Yes,” said von Quitzow, leading the prince towards the center of the town, “It is tough, but I remember that we are only men and that God has plans for us all. God choose you to be in charge of Brandenburg and for you to make the tough decisions.”

“How do I know if my decisions are aligned with God’s wishes?”

“When I ask myself that question,” Markus von Quitzow pointed Georg Wilhelm I towards the church in the town square, “I know I need to pray for inspiration. As God’s chosen leader, you may need to get back in touch with him. Join me, and you should find at least solace, if not clarity.”

Without another word, the two men entered the church.

c19i1.png

February 1604

As he started the paperwork to start making the recently conquered lands into core parts of Brandenburg territory and establish officials loyal to the government in Berlin, Ernst von Derfflinger reflected on how the last few years of war had changed his monarch. Although he held onto some resentments after his friend was unceremoniously terminated, loyalty to Brandenburg and his father Albrecht kept Ernst on the job.

Although Georg Wilhelm was brilliant and capable of quick leadership, he was cocksure and overconfident; although the defeat at Tuchola seemed to have tempered that somewhat. Although he continued to remain inflexible in economic policy, he was more cautious militarily.

The fall of 1602 turned out to have an excellent harvest despite the shortage of able-bodied men to fight in the war. Further good news came with the death of the elder Electress Jelena. Ernst did not miss her, but Georg Wilhelm I was able to find some good words to speak about her at the funeral. As a final cruel joke, she had given all of her wealth to charities. It ensured that her reputation would be mended among the common people with time, while also being an insult to family members who thought they deserved more. While Georg Wilhelm I was able to laugh it off, Christian von Gersdorff was livid. As much as it pained Ernst to take sides with his sulky wastrel of a son-in-law, he did agree that Christian was robbed of his inheritance...or at least, that the grandchildren were robbed of their inheritance.

The spring of 1603 brought some international news. Bremen dropped out of the Hamburg/Cologne war. Sweden invaded Norway. Russia joined the dogpile on the Commonwealth. While the two nations were involved in separate wars, Georg Wilhelm I wrote to his cousin Miriam, the Tsarina, requesting military aide. As a pleasant surprise, 5000 Russian troops showed up to reinforce the second attempt to take Tuchola. The extra manpower proved to be just the boost that Brandenburg needed to break through and quickly seize down the adjacent provinces and capture the port of Konigsberg.

Beset on all sides, the Commonwealth must have been pleased to learn that Brandenburg only wanted three provinces. After some negotiation, they agreed also to hand over a decent chunk of the Commonwealth’s gold reserves for “safekeeping” before the Ottomans or the Russians could get to it.

Only after returning to Brandenburg in triumph did Georg Wilhelm I share his plans with Ernst von Derfflinger. His initial rejection of his advisors’ plans made sense in this light. By controlling the duchy of Prussia as well as the duchy of Brandenburg, he would be able to form a new nation, be legally able to call it a kingdom, and provide a new national identity with a militarized structure. This new form of government would give the Protestants the edge, and they would be ready unleash it upon the Emperor in Saxony in just a few years.

c19i2.png

June 1604

Markus von Quitzow was amused by the all the commotion in the war room. Just three months earlier, he had returned from the field. He had clashed with the Austrian army, led by Ferdinand I Wenzel von Habsburg himself. Casualties were relatively few, thank God, and the Austrians shortly exited the war. Combined with Georg Wilhelm I’s recent victory, the whole nation was upbeat and full of evangelical purpose. As soon as recent gains were consolidated and peace was reached with Cologne, it would be time to Georg Wilhelm I to fulfill his destiny and free the Empire from the grasp of the Catholics.

But folly are the plans of men compared to the plans of God. Sweden had annexed half of Norway, and suddenly they had more influence than Brandenburg. They took control of the Protestant League and initiated hostilities before Georg Wilhelm I was ready, and no one seemed certain how to react.

Perhaps, thought Markus, one day he will learn to appreciate God’s sense of humor.
c19i3.png

(While putting this together, I was wondering why Austria and the Commonwealth sat this one out...then I realized that all the neutral nations in Europe had lost a war recently and probably weren't up for the fight.)

All the territories needed to form Prussia and a league war without two of Catholicisms central powers? Things look better and better for Georg Wilhelm.

You're right...I'm focusing on the negative of not being able to start the war at my convenience. The only major opponents were Spain and England, while I had Russia, the Ottomans, Sweden, Bohemia, a large Hamburg and a rump France on my side. I should give AI Sweden more credit for choosing a good time to exclude Austria and PLC.

Chapter 20 - The Five Years War
Chapter 20 –The Five Years War

December 1607

Albrecht von Scholtheim barely listened to the passionate speech the representative from Berlin gave in favor of the war effort. It was full of patriotic appeals, religious assertions, and Brandenburger pride. It even referred to the united duchies once or twice as “Prussia”, a term that was starting to be used by some of the more radical military reformers to refer to the larger country and the new identity that was being formed.

It was a very good speech, delivered by one of the best orators he knew. He was not blown away by the content of the speech because he had written it, and in fact had bribed the Berliner delegation to help support his son’s wars. While the Russian regulars had been instrumental in filling out Brandenburg’s army for the capture of Konigsberg, seven years of conflict with Cologne had taken their toll, and the intense religious violence of the league war was not helping.

In the early phases, Georg Wilhelm I had joined forces with Bohemia to occupy most of Saxony and placed the Emperor Christian Albrecht I under house arrest. The smaller princes who were still loyal to the Emperor were occupied one by one. While many of the evangelical powers wanted to put the Emperor on trial and execute him (some even wanted to skip the first step), Albrecht had advised that the Emperor was more valuable as a bargaining chip than a martyr.

The small fleet of his late wife’s precious pirate ships blockaded the Denmark island holdout; aside from evading the English fleet there was not much action. Cologne had finally surrendered to Hamburg in June 1606, and most of the fighting in the league war moved to France, so Georg Wilhelm I kept his troops back to recover and wait for the Catholic forces to give up.

When Russia finally reached peace with the Commonwealth, Danzig was released as a sovereign state. As Brandenburg had claims on the area, Georg Wilhelm I decided once again to march east for an opportunistic strike. The Danzig army was quickly crushed, and the capital placed under a siege that was proceeding steadily. It was a good plan, but it stretched Brandenburg even thinner. Hence the debate in parliament. As the Berlin representative finished the speech, Albrecht allowed the applause to die down before calling a vote. But it was only a formality at this point.

c20i1.png

August 1609

George Wilhelm I quickly strode through the wrecked palace, looking for the Elector of the Palatinate. The victorious Protestant League held full control over the former Catholic headquarters in Saxony, and people from all across Europe were helping themselves to the spoils. France and Bohemia were the only two countries who managed to gain territory in the final treaty, but Brandenburg was successful in gaining new territory on the side.

Danzig had taken longer than anticipated to capture. Georg Wilhelm I would later learn that the sister of the duke, Lady Aniela Hainaut, had inspired the garrison to hold out. When he met her afterwards, he was thoroughly impressed with her. They had negotiated for hours, and he had never before enjoyed such vigorous conversation. They had reached an agreement where Danzig would become a vassal of Brandenburg rather than being annexed outright, and Georg hoped that he would get to see her again someday.

With the Danzig business taken care of, he was able to devote his full attention to the main religious conflict. Because his forces were in the northeast of the HRE, when Catholic League members broke through the line and attempted to liberate Saxony he was in good position to stop them. He had taken many casualties but had retained control over Saxony and eventually the Catholics surrendered, and in the sober light of peace the cost of the war became unignorable.

He was saddened to learn that his spiritual advisor Markus von Quitzow was among the dead, along with over a million other soldiers and countless civilians. He was assured that most of them were in a better place, and that the sacrifice was worth it. The Empire was finally free of the Pope’s influence, and the true Protestant faith reigned supreme. There was still much to do to finish the missionary work and to bring stability to the Empire, but if he died right then and there it would be with the knowledge that he had made it a better Empire.

The old Emperor was forced to abdicate, and in the spirit of peace was allowed to retire as a monk to secure monastery in France. However, the only other remaining legal elector, the Palatinate, somehow choose Jacques IV of Cyprus to secede him. Cyprus was a valid candidate for emperor under the new rules that had been drawn up, but it was neither an HRE member nor a participant in the war. That Palatinate elector had some explaining to do...

c20i2.png

November 1609

“As I explained last August, I do not think that Brandenburg would be an appropriate choice for Emperor. Last time your country held the title, imperial reforms were rolled back,” said the Elector. Georg Wilhelm I had travelled to the Palatinate in person, officially to talk about trade, but the true purpose was this afterhours meeting.

“We are stronger now,” countered Georg Wilhelm I as he held the wine he was sipping up to the light to admire the color, “Strong enough to protect the Empire and the rights of the princes.”

“That is what I’m worried about,” said the Elector as he paced around his home, “How strong are you planning on getting? We have crossed swords with Brandenburg many times before.”

“Strong enough to reenact those reforms.”

“That’s what your diplomat has been telling me. Very persistent and persuasive, that one. My answer remains no, however. Technologically, you are still a step behind. You have not renounced piracy. There is too much baggage associated with the name Brandenburg; you are neither a prudent nor a popular option.”

Georg Wilhelm put his wine glass down and leaned forward, smiling. “Well, if you will never support Brandenburg, may I suggest a different country?”
c20i3.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, that Cypriot situation is rather odd, let's hope it just lasts for one emperor. The electors will need to be convinced of the riotousness of Prussia's cause... one way or another.

Chapter 21 - Two Weddings and Two Funerals
Chapter 21 – Two Weddings and Two Funerals

August 1610

Congratulations on the wedding, my King! Or should I call you, my Emperor?” Christian von Gersdorff cheered.

“You can call me cousin, Cousin,” replied the happy ruler.

“And my Empress, you look lovely,” continued Christian as he bowed before her, “These are my boys, Wilhelm Friedrich and Friedrich Wilhelm.”

The twin twelve-year-olds bowed before her politely, though Christian did notice that Friedrich Wilhelm was ogling inappropriately. That boy was a troublemaker, not like his brother, and he was sure to only be more of a handful once they entered adolescence.

“I’m glad that the Palatinate was able to come around to supporting you, Cousin.” Christian said to the Emperor.

“He saw the light,” replied Georg Wilhelm I, “And while we mourn the death of Jacques IV, God choose to call him home according to His plan for His Empire.”

During the league war, Georg Wilhelm I handled sieges, and Markus von Quitzow handled battles. Christian Gersdorff had remained in Brandenburg, but he was not idle. He was the point-of-contact for the league members in Brandenburg. Although Stockholm was nominally the headquarters, Berlin was closer to most league members and he was able to meet with diplomats and spies on their way through. Not only did he enjoy feasting with various foreigners (and arranging trysts with some of them), but he also was working behind the scenes, delivering and intercepting messages, arranging assassinations, running propaganda campaigns.

He did not know how the title of Emperor went to Cyprus, but he quickly worked on a solution. He kept the operation a secret from his cousin; if he had known, he surely would have objected. Almost a year after the end of the war, Jacques IV had an unfortunate accident, and the Palatinate elector agreed to support Prussia. Georg Wilhelm was crowned Emperor, and then announced his betrothal to Aniela Hainaut of the vassal of Danzig, to the shock of the eligible women within the Empire.

Less than two months later, there was a splendid wedding, with attendees from across the Empire. While the Empire was still not in a stable position, Prussia was prosperous, and the prominence of the new kingdom brought pride to its’ residents. This was also not only recent marriage. Albrecht von Scholtheim, the emperor’s father, had remarried, taking a widow of Ansbach in a smaller ceremony with only a few hundred guests.

The search was on for a new set of advisors; so far only the army reformer Ernst von Taubeneck had been hired.

Prussia had its work ahead of it for reestablishing imperial authority. New electors were appointed; the allies of Hamburg, Ansbach and Switzerland were rewarded with appointments, and Hamburg even added four provinces to the Empire in gratitude. To fill out the rest of the electors, the Netherlands and Provence were selected. The Netherlands had a decent relationship with Prussia but Provence not so much; Georg Wilhelm I thought it would be beneficial to have a dissenting voice. However, only four free cities remained, many provinces remained in the hands of either Spain or the Ottomans, and 14 of the 33 princes did not follow the true faith.

“Enjoy the celebration, Cousin,” said Georg Wilhelm as he glanced at Christian’s beer stein, “There is a lot of work to do.”

“I plan on it,” said Christian before taking another drink of beer. There were several noblewomen he was talking to earlier that he might try his luck on. “I plan on enjoying it immensely.”

c21i1.png

c21i2.png

November 1611

The fortress at Kolberg was being decommissioned; the expansion of Prussian frontiers made it redundant. Christian von Gersdorff was building a modern palatial mansion on the site, but the old watchtower remained. Inside, the thirteen-year-old Friedrich Wilhelm waited with his brother for news about their father. He had contracted a venereal disease; the doctors were being obtuse, but Friedrich Wilhelm had was able to connect the dots. The boys had said goodbye to their dying father hours earlier and were silently waiting for things to play out. They had plenty of time to think, and Friedrich Wilhelm had alot to think on.

He had witnessed with pride how Brandenburg had become Imperial Prussia, and looked upon Georg Wilhelm I with admiration for creating such a strong state. He did think that the Emperor was a little foolish with his religious zealousness, but he approved of using religion as a tool to bring the Empire in line. Friedrich Wilhelm desired to be closer to the action and the center of power, but he also greatly admired the Empress Aniela and desired to spend more time in her presence. Albrecht von Scholtheim was stepping down as Speaker of the restructured national Landtag, and Ernst von Derfflinger was appointed to that position and would be in turn stepping down from the council at the end of the year. A new lineup of advisors was needed; so far only the army reformer Ernst von Taubeneck had been taken on. Friedrich was hoping to one day be involved with Prussia’s government, and he had come up with a plan that would guarantee it.

A knock on the door by one of the doctors’ assistants brought the final news; their father, Christian von Gersdorff, was dead. Tears welled up in Wilhelm Friedrich’s eyes, while Friedrich Wilhelm feigned sorrow as the doctors’ assistant was dismissed. He stared at the back of the door for a few long minutes, with only the occasional sob from Wilhelm breaking the silence.

Wilhelm spoke first. “Well, Fred, it seems that we must find a way to share power.”

Friedrich Wilhelm calmly turned, and slowly walked towards his brother. Wilhelm’s eyes grew large and he opened his mouth to scream once he saw the intent behind Friedrich’s motions. Friedrich then lept at him, putting a hand over his mouth, and the two brothers wrestled, Wilhelm pinned against the wall. They were an even match physically, but Friedrich was cleverer. And crueler.

Eventually, Friedrich Wilhelm got his brother positioned in front of the window, and with one final heave with all his remaining strength pushed his twin out. He watched as Wilhelm Friedrich tumbled through the air and crashed through some temporary scaffolding. Satisfied that Wilhelm did not seem to moving, he allowed his eyes to tear up and ran down the stairs, yelling about how his brother had leapt from the tower in grief.

c21i3.png

Well, that Cypriot situation is rather odd, let's hope it just lasts for one emperor. The electors will need to be convinced of the riotousness of Prussia's cause... one way or another.

I don't know what's up with Cyprus. Their term only lasted for 11 months. I don't know if the Emperor defaulted to Cyprus because there were only two electors and the vote was tied until I got Palatinate's opinion up, or if Jacques IV just happened to die then. Hopefully I found a good way to RP it.

Another weird thing is the double heir. Has that ever happened to anybody? Once again, I think I found a good way to RP it. Watch out for Friedrich Wilhelm...he's a bad dude.

Also, an update: After I finished the Prussia game (this one goes all the way to 1821), I started as Venice and was having fun as a merchant republic leading a large trade league before I formed Italy, lost the merchant republic, and then just started blobbing with the goal of a Mare Nostrum. However, I got the last few expansions I didn't have with the summer sale (CoP and Emperor) and did not disable them, so I accidentally ruined it so that I could not form achievements with my file. I can see why people say late-game blobbing is tedious and I really wanted to finally upgrade to 1.33, so I wound up abandoning the game around 1775. I have a ton of screenshots but I don't know if it would make a good AAR. I started my next game as the Navajo for the Native American experience (and I am glad to see that they have their own mercenaries under 1.33) and see if I can get a civilization strong enough to resist the Europeans.

Friedrich's robust method of problem solving sugests he will take a robust approach with his enemies. I imagine Prussia will be expanding its borders before long.

As for the next AAR I will certainly read it whatever it turns out to be but a native American one sounds very interesting, you don't see too many of those.

Maybe you could write that up and then afterwards see if you feel like posting the Italian one/ playing another?

Chapter 22 - Heat of Battle
Chapter 22 Heat of Battle

February 1614

“While it is the economic and religious policy that has come to define our new Emperor’s reign...” read the Sargent. He paused to have a drink of water while the other men listened intently. He was the only one among them who could read and there was little entertainment at this sleepy border post on the Austria/Ottoman border. These occasional newsletters, often months out of date, were their only link to the wider world.

Austria had wisely sat out the recent Five Year’s War and in the aftermath the border guards had followed with interest the rise of the new power of Prussia that had emerged from the chaos. It was rumored to be highly disciplined, bounded by their Protestant interpretation of Christianity. As the power of the Catholic pope waned, the Holy Roman Empire went about 50/50 between Protestant and Reformed, and Austria was in the later camp.

“...the results are not his alone, but can be credited to the new cabinet” continued the Sargent. “The army reformer Ernst von Taubeneck is charged with militarizing the nation when necessary, and pushed the state priests to have the saints accept prayers, increasing the morale of the forces and inspiring them to fight against other faiths. The top diplomat, Ludwig von Hohenzollern, has been working tirelessly to patch over the scars of the League War and to convince smaller princes to change religion, and convinced the Emperor to divert the infamous Prussian pirate fleet has been diverted to the North Sea, reducing its impact on the rest of the HRE. But most notable is the popular philosopher Clemens Flinck, who is more responsible than anyone for defining the qualities of this new society.”

Several of the men laughed. “Don’t they realize that people are moving on from the reformation?” complained one, “They are as bad as the Catholics.”

“The Emperor’s young cousin, Friedrich Wilhelm, has been brought to court and will assume the role of heir to the throne. He would be expected to start contributing to the running of Prussia within the next few years,” continued the Sargent.

“Who is this guy?” asked another guard, “Doesn’t the Emperor have any children? I thought the Empress was pregnant.”

“It was another miscarriage,” Added the Sargent, looking up from the page. “Rumor is that she is barren, and that it is stressing their marriage.”

“Good. I don’t like what I’ve heard about Prussia. Anything that reduces their legitimacy is fine by me.”

“Hold on,” interrupted another guard, “there’s someone coming. Who goes there?”

“It looks like a Turkish merchant,” said the Sargent as he stood up. “A little out of the way for them to enter Austria through our post, but at least there is some excitement for today.”

One of the border guards was exchanging a few words with the merchant when without warning the Turk drew a blade and slashed the guard across the neck. The Sargent leapt for a weapon, but seconds later the cover of the wagon was torn away and a half-dozen musketeers fired at the border post. He saw a couple of his men go down, then felt musketballs strike his leg, his shoulder and his stomach. He fell onto his side into the mud and lost consciousness.

When he awoke, he was not sure how much time had passed. His wounds were serious; he was barely able, and only with great pain, to roll over. To his horror, column after column of Ottoman troops were marching by. The Sultan had apparently decided to invade the HRE and test the strength of this newly reorganized Holy Roman Empire. The Sargent lost consciousness again, regretting that he was lax in his duties and that no alarm was raised.

c22i1.png

June 1617

As the Emperor, Prussia was able to call on its loyal allies of Switzerland, Ansbach, Hamburg and mighty Russia. They had fought alongside the Ottomans in the Five Year’s War, but now they had joined forces Austria and her allies, many of which were on the other side in that previous war, to curb Ottoman ambition.

Slowly, the Ottomans were gaining ground. Ansbach, Danzig and East Prussia were under occupation. Bohemia had taken advantage of the conflict and invaded Austria on their own, and actually managed to occupy more of Austria than the Ottomans.

For Aneila, Danzig had always come first. She had worked with her brother to secure Danzig independence from the Commonwealth. She had resisted the Prussian invasion. She had married the Emperor to protect Danzig. But there was nothing she could do to protect Danzig from where she was. The heir, the Emperor’s cousin Fredrich Wilhelm, was away leading the army. She was glad that he was gone; he sometimes gave her the creeps.

The palace in Berlin was a quieter place with so many people gone. Quieter, but not deserted. She had to be careful, as her husband was currently in town. Aneila was heading towards an out-of-the-way room that she knew about, a room that she had visited several times in the last few months.

She could not love Georg Wilhelm as strongly as he loved her, and the lack of children was starting to strain their relationship. Georg Wilhelm had also devoted almost all attention to the war effort, and the death of his father after a short illness hit him particularly hard. She could not think of many monarchs whose fathers lived to see them come to power. As distressing as it must have been for Georg Wilhelm, the loss only caused them to drift further apart, and Aniela found herself sidelined more and more.

She entered the almost forgotten room and was delighted to see a man seated on a couch at the other end, two wine glasses on a short table in front of him. He got up after she closed the door and walked over to her; she embraced him and gave him a small kiss, a peck on the lips. He took her hand and led her to the couch.

Clemens Flinck was regarded as the most handsome and charming member of the court, and in the last few months had given her the attention she needed. He handed her a glass of wine, and the toasted, giggling. After taking a long drink from the glass, she kissed him again, for much longer.

Neither of them noticed the pair of eyes watching them from a hidden panel in the wall.

c22i2.png

June 1619

“I can’t believe you aren’t doing anything about that if you saw them yourself! Clemens Flinck must be executed for this treason.”

Georg Wilhelm I sighed and looked up at his young cousin. He had agreed to meet him in this town near the edge of the occupied zone. “Clemens Flinck is useful and popular, imagine the uproar if I killed him without explanation.”

“Then explain it. Stand up for yourself.”

“No. I will not have the Empress slandered as an adulteress. It is much better to keep this quiet. You are impatient, Friedrich. You need to realize that appearances are sometimes more important than fact. Our powerbase comes from appearances as much as anything. If we are to have any authority as the Protestant defender of the faith and leaders of the Holy Roman Empire, any perceived moral failings should be hidden.”

“I understand that.”

“Do you? I have heard whispers of you and your ill-mannered friends mocking God and His priests when you are in your cups. At least you don’t have your father’s appetites. That sort of moral failing leads to scandal.”

“Are you calling your wife immoral? You should have more respect for her.”

“I do not understand why you feel you need to defend my wife. She at least understands the importance of discretion. I will deal with her, not you.”

Friedrich Wilhelm scowled, but did not object.

“Good,” resumed Georg Wilhelm I. “I appreciate you listening to me vent my frustrations and sharing your views, but this the best course of action. Besides, that is not the reason we are here. We are here to discuss the loss at Stolp.”

The war against the Ottomans had been swinging back and forth for years. They would move into Russia, and Prussia was able to liberate some provinces, and occupy a few Ottoman ones, then the Ottoman army would move back west and the cycle would repeat. The smaller Prussian army was demonstrating their discipline against the more numerous Ottoman forces, and even crushed some of the smaller detachments. Austria had ceded some provinces to Bohemia, but once that was finalized, they were making good progress pushing back into Ottoman territory. However, even though they had maintained an excellent kill ratio, not every battle was a victory and attrition was taking its toll. The remaining regiments were combined and Fredrich Wilhelm led them continue the same tactics. Eventually, the diminished army found itself outmaneuvered and surrounded; Friedrich had fled, leaving them to their fate.

“There was nothing I could have done.”

“I agree.”

Friedrich Wilhelm was shocked. “You do?”

“You were in a difficult situation; I should have pulled you out weeks earlier to reinforce. It was a tragic defeat, but we can make the most of it. A brave last stand by some loyal Prussian martyrs to protect the Christian lands. Appearances are important, Friedrich.”

c22i3.png

An interesting decision with the Queen. Surely it would have been a perfect opportunity to remove her and try to replace her with somebody less barren?

Maybe, but I settled on keeping Friedrich Wilhelm as my heir so there was no need to start going Henry VIII. (I was risking him as a general through - probably for the seige ability) I checked the wiki for the event to see if I could recreate my thought process. A divorce under those circumstances (non-Catholic Christian, foreign consort) would have given a -15 prestige hit and would have damaged relations with Danzig who I was nearly ready to annex. Parting with money or parting with the advisor were out of the question, so the -10 prestige must have seemed like the best option. (I see now that there is a 50% chance of a royal bastard if you keep it quiet - but only if the current heir "could be" the consort's child. As Friedrich Wilhelm became heir at 13 shortly after the wedding, I don't think that would be the case - making it the least worse option)

Again, though, I like how I RPed it (and the RP consequences are not over). Originally I mistakenly thought that Georg Wilhelm not Friedrich Wilhelm was the general in that defeat, so I had to change how I was writing it half-way though. It works - I don't know if I explicitly said this yet but Friedrich Wilhelm is a Sinner so I can picture him abandoning the troops more than Georg.

Reactions:
Chapter 23 - Planting Seeds
Chapter 23 – Planting Seeds

January 1620

Ernst von Derfflinger collapsed into a soft chair in his office, finally able to relax now that the Ottomans had been repelled. The sacrifice of the Prussian forces had been fully propagandized, and just last month the patriotic wave resulted in military-focused package of laws to pass the Landtag. Fresh volunteers were being organized into new regiments. They would not immediately be needed, however. After nearly six years of battle, the Ottomans had given up on their war of conquest and agreed to a white peace with Austria. It would have been better to have continued on with the momentum and maybe take some European land back from the Ottomans, but it was Austria’s call and many people were exhausted of warfare.

Ernst thought on his long career eventually leading to the inner circles of power and ultimately to the roll of speaker of the Landtag after his late friend Albrect von Schlotheim stepped down. He was also surprised to still find a role despite disagreements he had with the Emperor Georg Wilhelm I. The Emperor was stubborn about his old-fashioned economic ideas, but von Derfflinger could see now how that they fit with his vision of the nation, and Prussia was something worth being proud of.

While he had never got along with his son-in-law, Ernst did admit that man’s presence was missed. Friedrich Wilhelm must have been severely traumatized by the death of his father and suicide of his brother on the same day. The stories he heard about his grandson’s conduct during the war disturbed him. He had fallen in with a bad group of officers and their units were involved in burning of villages and massacres of civilians. Many of those villagers were not Turkish but Polish, who had little control of their lot and likely chaffed under Ottoman control. While such things happened in the natural course of any war, both the sheer number and the creativity of some of the atrocities were notorious.

Even in defeat, he was successful in war, and he could be charming when he wished to be. He had learned well from Georg Wilhelm I’s tutoring in the art of governance and had the potential of outdo him. He was still Georg Wilhelm I’s designated heir, as the Emperor had told Ernst himself recently. Ernst had his doubts; the Empress Aniela was pregnant once again. While she had yet to carry a child to term and the Emperor had no one else in mind as heir, it was a concern that kept Ernst up at night.

Fortunately, Ernst was working on a solution to guarantee his legacy even if Friedrich Wilhelm was passed over. While Ernst did not have any sons of his own, he did have more daughters, and his youngest had married a man from Rostock who might have potential. It would just be a matter of bringing his proposal to the Emperor at the right time.

c23i1.png

April 1620

“Congratulations, Emperor.” said a generic servant, “ Its a healthy babe. Unfortunately, it’s a girl.”

“Thank God!” exclaimed Georg Wilhelm. If the child was a boy, he would jump ahead in the line of succession and Friedrich Wilhelm might have him killed. Georg Wilhelm would have been placed in situation of having to expose his wife’s relationship with Clemens Finck, destroying the reputation of everyone involved in order to save a life. With a girl, that would not be necessary. Brandenburg had a history of female rules, including his own mother, but in those situations, it was because no suitable males remained. In the current case of Prussia, they had a highly suitable individual.

Of course, Friedrich Wilhelm had his flaws, most of them of the moral variety. Georg Wilhelm just trusted that God wanted Friedrich to lead after him. It was never too late to have a spiritual awaking, as Georg knew well.

Georg Wilhelm I noticed the confused look on the servant’s face.

“I meant, thank God she healthy. We’ll try for a boy next time, but there can be joy in a daughter.”

“If you say so, Emperor. The Empress is healthy too, by the way.”

c23i2.png

May 1625

“Emperor, do you have a moment?”

Georg Wilhelm looked at the person who had interrupted his meditative stroll through the palace corridors. It was Speaker von Derfflinger. “Of course, Ernst. We talk so rarely these days.”

How is Anna Maria? I remember how my girls were at that age.”

“She is fine.”

“That is good to hear. It is hard to give them attention, and you are a very busy man. I heard that you were able to twist Lorraine arm into releasing Trier as an independent principality shortly after they annexed them.”

“Hopefully other princes will follow Lorraine’s example. We need as many independent member states as possible within the Empire.”

Ernst von Derfflinger smiled. “On that objective, we agree. Say, do you remember your last address to the Landtag? Where you mentioned the difficulties of militarizing a large territory?”

“Yes.”

“I think I know how we can improve both situations at once. If we released Pomerania as a vassal....”

Georg Wilhelm I stopped walking. “Pomerania? They’ll be five provinces large. That will be too big. Trust me, Danzig is four and causes me enough trouble.”

“Are there any smaller nations that we could release? Brunswick, perhaps?”

“No, those cores expired.” The Emperor paused a moment to think, “There’s also Mecklenburg, but that has logistical problems.”

Ernst von Derfflinger grinned, glad that he led Georg Wilhelm I to where we needed to be. “What sort of problems?”

“The border with Lubeck for one, but mainly I wouldn’t even know who to put in charge over there. I need someone with ties to that area, but also ties to me.”

“Hmmm...” Ernst thought, “I have a few men in mind...”

After four or five names were suggested and rejected, he had to admit to his Emperor that he could not think of anyone else.

“You’re right, it’s a fantasy. The only other person that has any sort of connection is my lazy son-in-law Hans, ha ha ha.”

“Wait,” interrupted Georg Wilhelm, “Doesn’t Hans’ family own some land up there? He might be a better option than you think...”

c23i3.png

(BTW – I am wasting diplo culture converting some of the Pomeranian cores in the mistaken belief that this would cause their cores to go away and I can release them as a manageable size. However Pomerania was not conquered all at once so a couple cores expired in a few decades. We’ll cover that when I get to it. Also, I hadn’t figured out how to add provinces to the Empire at this point (1.29 FWIW), but that is also coming.)

(Navajo game update: CoP is fun.. Nice to see tribes migrating about and interacting...I got tired of seeing tribes locked in place so I’m glad I got the DLC. It is also slow...I actually ran speed 3 most of the time. Was able to subjugate the Pueblo peoples and colonize to a tall southwest civilization. Managed to Reform, but that felt too easy. I stockpiled mana thinking I had to dev rush institutions, but turns out I just needed to flick a switch the moment I came into contact with somebody. Seems a little too easy to catch up to Europeans but I haven’t faced them in war yet. Also learned the map of Europe in about 1580. Don’t know what part of this is RNG, what part is the lack of player interaction, and what is 1.30 AI debt nonsense, but it is interesting. Ottomans never expanded beyond Anatolia, France hasn’t eaten Brittany, Russia hasn’t formed, Austria lost land, Bohemia didn’t explode, Scotland is fully intact and even holds part of Ireland, Spain lost half of Naples to Papal States, Burgundy exists but in east France only, huge Commonwealth.)

Last edited: