Public transportation that should be in Cities: Skyline 2

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As I said in other topic:

I'd love to see improvements on public transport management. The game incentivizes this kind of management, but don't provide good tools to help me on the task, IMO.

For example: if a bus stop is crowded, I'd like to know where all those people are going. Or at least what the most common routes will be (which stops they'll leave the bus, if they'll switch to another line, etc).

In the current game, the best I can do is increase the number of vehicles and hope for the best. But if I knew where people are going, I could manage it in a better way (by creating another line with a better route, or changing the current ones, etc). Of course I can adjust and create lines in the current game, but with more information about people's routes, I could be much more assertive.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It would be nice if there was a tool to help with managing dual direction bus lines. Like copying a bus route and pasting it in the reverse direction when possible. Or even asking you if you want to do it automatically when completing a route.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Modern cars with internal combustion engines make little noise. And if we are talking about buses, they can be replaced by trolleybuses.
Or even better, trams and light rail. More efficient because each tram/light rail train set can carry more people, but still only need one driver.

By the way, transportation on rail has also been proven to be more attractive to people than public transportation on wheels. This should be simulated in-game when cims make decisions as to which method of transportation to pick.

If you look at the development of CS, the latest DLCs have become more realistic. So personally, I expect CS2 to be more realistic and show a more objective view of things. Public transportation is one of them. Because as for me, now for the most efficient city, only buses and subways are needed, the rest of the transport can be ignored. I would like to see this fixed in CS2.
For what it's worth, the devs promise CS II will be the most realistic city builder ever. But of course, that can mean a lot of things.

easy to do in a civic game but I thought the point of the game was escaping the real?
Good luck discussing features in a city building game without discussing politics. Would be about as easy as talking about an upcoming Gran Turismo game without straying into the topic of car racing. But enjoy your popcorn :) .

Without getting too "Wishlist for Santa", I'd say a reasonable expectation would be:
Everything that came with base Cities Skylines (airports in some capacity, buses [but with variety], metro, cargo ships, trains)
The stuff that came in After Dark and is so old and basic you forget it didn't come with the original game (cycling, taxis)
Ferries
Trams (everybody loves 'em)
Other than that... Parking lots. Everybody loves 'em, the game needs 'em, and they finally added those covered parking things in the Mid-Century Modern pack.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Or even better, trams and light rail. More efficient because each tram/light rail train set can carry more people, but still only need one driver.
We can build any city in the game. But if we are talking about cities that are close to reality, I doubt that we will be able to launch trams everywhere, and we cannot give up buses. And autonomous trolleybuses are a good alternative to buses. That's what I think and what I see in Ukraine.

I see buses, metro (both underground, aboveground and overhead) and trains, to give us short, medium and long-range mass-transit. I want improvements and routing and transfers to be much better though. Is it too much to have a bus stop connected to a railway station?
Trams are popular, and hence the perfect addition to a DLC. No one uses Ferries. Monorails don't work in real life.
I don't consider taxis and light rail as mass transit, but they should be in the main game anyway. I just hope Taxi, or maybe ride-share is implemented differently.

I'm gonna straight up rebel if they don't put ferries in the base game or in the 1st DLC.

We need to have those little public e-scooters that cims can take from and drop off at designated parking areas.

The biggest change to public transportation needs to be eliminating POCKET CARS, which undermines all the public transportation in the game. If cims come to the game by public transportation, then they don't have cars. If they took public transportation within the city, they also can't just pull a car out of their ass and drive away, because they left it behind. They also need to be able to park somewhere, and pay for parking on certain streets.

This will give them reason to consider public transportation. This will also give us reason to think about how our tourists get around town.

Agreed. Citizens who arrive by bus/train/plane/ship shouldn't have cars (unless they buy one at a dealership if that's an option).
The 2 obvious alternatives to pocket cars are

1. To have them drive and not use public transport at all unless they can use it the whole way. This would be most realistic, but also would make the game too challenging to most people. I can foresee people complain cims don't use public transport and they don't know what they need to do.

At least if they do use public transport half of the way then whip out their pocket cars then we know we already satisfied half way of their commute needs, and just need to satisfy the second half.

2. To have them not make the trip at all, and despawn the would-be commuter. This would most likely lead to many players complaining about their town being a ghost town. The game would be unchallenging. No public transport? Just stay home! No traffic, nothing.

I for one think pocket cars should stay, because the only realistic alternative is too unforgiving and challenging to most players. If you can't handle 100s of cars coming out of pockets at a train station, you won't be able to handle those cars making their real whole trips. True they won't all spawn at the same place at the same time, but together with many train's worth of cars they'll very likely overload your roads and intersections.

Vehicle limit will also need to be raised very high if that's the case. And the more cars means the less probability they'll implement dynamic lane selection (use more than one lane) that many yearns for. If they do that despite the higher vehicle limit they'll have to raise the minimum specs, again not something most people would want I'd assume.

Reactions:
I mentioned one topic related to public transportation. Bus Bay. I seem to have found this term correctly because in Ukraine they are called bus pockets. I've read many articles and I see in my city (where I live) that Bus Bay is unnecessary and inconvenient in most cases. That's why I'm surprised that CS developers decided to use Bus Bay for most roads, not Curbside stop. Therefore, I would like to see more good stops in CS2, not Bus Bay.

Here I found the name of the type of these stops, page 16

I mentioned one topic related to public transportation. Bus Bay. I seem to have found this term correctly because in Ukraine they are called bus pockets. I've read many articles and I see in my city (where I live) that Bus Bay is unnecessary and inconvenient in most cases. That's why I'm surprised that CS developers decided to use Bus Bay for most roads, not Curbside stop. Therefore, I would like to see more good stops in CS2, not Bus Bay.

Here I found the name of the type of these stops, page 16
It is true for strictly time-planned lines, whict is true only for big cities. Because it often has that inline stops and strict time window, but common cities and towns always have pockets and much worse shedule obedience.

It is true for strictly time-planned lines, whict is true only for big cities. Because it often has that inline stops and strict time window, but common cities and towns always have pockets and much worse shedule obedience.
I cannot say that it is not suitable for small towns. On the contrary, I would say it is even better for them. Because there is not so much traffic there, and the fact that a bus stops every 10-20 minutes will not cause a traffic jam, and passengers will get more comfort and it will be easier for the drivers themselves. Moreover, I don't know how it is in your country, but in my country, bas bay is a relic of the Soviet Union and is only available in large cities, small towns and villages use curbside stops. And if it is a street that is loaded with cars, there should be a separate lane for buses. And if there is a separate lane, then bas bays are not needed. As for me, it is more of a mistake to install a bus bay. The document lists the advantages and disadvantages, but I think curbside stop is better.

In general, everyone has the right to build as he wants, so developers, please give the right to choose the type of stop in CS2 ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
The new hubs update gave me another idea, full road customization. Instead of needing a pack to give a X lane road with bus lane/grass whatever and still not quite getting what you are looking for (got a six lane with tram,bus and bike lane but not just a six with bus and bike etc) instead of multiple fixed road types we can pick number of lanes when laying road then ”paint“ a lane as bus, bike, monorail or whatever, have medians/sidewalks/grass and trees as separate tool that doesn’t take a lane (ie drop a two lane, run grass on the side then sidewalk on one side and a median then another two lane but maybe no grass and sidewalk on the other side) Or any combination and the ability to set direction per lane to make custom asymmetrical roads as needed. Have the standard presets for fast build like roundabouts now, you can drop a preset or take the time and build a custom one. That way we get the right road for whatever we need and adding grass/trees/sidewalk/sound wall to the side will make a wider roadway not take a functional lane away. A checkbox for allowing parking on road or not would be nice for aesthetics too.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I cannot say that it is not suitable for small towns. On the contrary, I would say it is even better for them. Because there is not so much traffic there, and the fact that a bus stops every 10-20 minutes will not cause a traffic jam, and passengers will get more comfort and it will be easier for the drivers themselves. Moreover, I don't know how it is in your country, but in my country, bas bay is a relic of the Soviet Union and is only available in large cities, small towns and villages use curbside stops. And if it is a street that is loaded with cars, there should be a separate lane for buses. And if there is a separate lane, then bas bays are not needed. As for me, it is more of a mistake to install a bus bay. The document lists the advantages and disadvantages, but I think curbside stop is better.

In general, everyone has the right to build as he wants, so developers, please give the right to choose the type of stop in CS2 ;)
Absolute same and newer ones are small, just barely one meter wide. Still in use

Probably it has already being said, but here is my wishlist:
-Buses and bus lanes (I guess this is a given)
-Metro: Including underground, at grade (with level crossings too) and elevated (including over roads. Of course stations for all the options (also elevated stations over roads). Four tracks for express services and the corresponding stations would be great. So MOM after all.
-LRT/tram including underground, elevated (over roads too), at grade, and on tram tracks (including segregated tracks and on shared lines). And of course all the corresponding stations.
-BRT/busways again with underground and elevated busways and stations for all the options. It would be nice if some of these “tracks” can be shared with trams/LRT.
-Ferries/water buses.
-Taxis
-Trolleybuses and cable cars would be also great. But I can wait for these.

That would be my wishlist for release.

Reactions:
I expect buses, trams, metros, bikes, and ferries to be in the base game. Additionally, I hope underground, above ground, and elevated metros (both above streets and on their own right of way) are in the base game. I would like road placement to be similar to Cities in Motion 2, where you can customize road segments with tram, trolleybus, and bus lanes on specific lanes.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Taxis should be included in base game. In the original CS was part of an expansion, and never got updated. I always wanted a different/higher capacity Taxi garage and Taxi stops.
For DLC they can add a private transport company like UBER, that could be managed like the Airpots expansion airline.
Gotta agree with that, taxis are in every city in the world, and are so iconic to some cities like New York. So relegating them to an expansion doesn't feel right.

Which brings me to the wider topic of other badly integrated/abandoned mechanics besides taxis: looking at you, Snowfall.

I think that the model of optional DLCs needs to die, the experiment has lasted long enough. It just isolates mechanics in their own little world, and then devs can't build upon them and have to invent something new and separate for the next DLC. Paradox games overall should go back to the model of major updates being tied to "mandatory" extensions, like Hearts of Iron III did. Every core change should be rolled into the base game to be a foundation everything else can build upon. Only purely cosmetic and peripheral stuff like radio stations and asset packs should be in optional DLCs. That is if you value the long-term health and coherence of the game above all else.

Reactions:
Pocket cars Could easily be understood as rental cars. However I would like to see rental cars and parking garages more integrated into the mechanics. Maybe you can choose to have pocket cars spawn by placing rental car garages at the locations.

Reactions:
I think we've all come to a consensus on essential transit options from the get (and I'd say available from the outset, cuz some of us would like to make car-free/minimum cities from the outset!, which I'd also argue Aerial lifts are essential too):
  • Bikes (can't believe some users are saying this isn't essential)
  • Buses
  • Light Rail
  • Metro/Subway
    • Elevated options for both above (as I'd personally advocate for monorails/maglev lol)
  • Heavy rail
  • Ferry (like this was legit the first form of public transit in the USA, insane that some people think this is superfluous)
  • Traditional air (cargo / passenger planes).
But I'm so interested in the implementation of contemporary and future transit techs. Things people have mentioned like:
  • Car-/ride-shares
  • Bike-shares
  • Scooters
  • Electric & automated/driverless vehicles (policies)
  • Drone taxis (aka flying cars)
Like, I'm not in favor of micromanaging but I think C:S2 sets itself up well to incorporate these really interesting!

• 1Like
Reactions:
But I'm so interested in the implementation of contemporary and future transit techs. Things people have mentioned like:
  • Car-/ride-shares
  • Bike-shares
  • Scooters
  • Electric & automated/driverless vehicles (policies)
  • Drone taxis (aka flying cars)
Like, I'm not in favor of micromanaging but I think C:S2 sets itself up well to incorporate these really interesting!
I think that a sharing system cannot have micromanagement. Logically, it should just be a structure that has a radius of interaction for a certain territory.
And I personally would like a more interesting public transportation system. A different ticket system, like in Europe, and a better balance of transportation prices. Because now for the most cost-effective city you need only buses and subways, although in real life this is not the case.