• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
YodaMaster >> I wonder when I will finally learn: "When you don't know, look at vanilla." :D
So vanilla uses sea-zones with climate 0 (most of them), and few with climate 5 and 7 (arctic seas).
Yes, the opposite of what it is supposed to be... only because Arctic seas should be smaller according to the deformation of the map projection around the poles.
Standard sea zones have thus penalty for movement (i.e. "normal" movement speed) and the penalty is removed for the poles.

You can look at AGCEEP too (and its documentation/information available on this board). A very good example too! ;)

Too bad... I can't comment difference between 4 and 6 for now.

Last edited:
Now you made me really interested :D
Don't worry, I won't tell to anybody if you tell me :p
Heeeeeheeee~

Ok, I'll try to look on Australia and America and will hope it'll make the difference more clear :)
And then another redrawing of climatic design, hehe ^^;
I wonder whether I'll ever get to finally push the values into province.csv

After checking the climates in Australia and both Americas, I may throw my idea about tropical forests and savannas in a trash bin.
Climate 4, which I thought to be tropical-forests, is limited just on India and south-east Asia. Just 2 exceptions are elsewhere - Bermuda in North America, and Awdaghost in western Africa.
Climate 6, which I thought it could be tropical-savannas, are all other tropical regions.

Both climates are tropical. Havard's bible suggests that climate 6 is tropical-equatorial, but equatorial are both.
Few minutes I was looking on world maps with types of soil, agricultural lands, yearly temperatures in winter, yearly temperatures in summer, yearly precipitation, and was trying to find there the difference between tropical India and tropical Africa or America.

After checking some more informations, I would say:
climate 4 = monsoon
climate 6 = tropical

There are also monsoons in western Africa and America, but the south-east Asian monsoons are the strongest, giving to the region it's own climate.

What do you think about this theory?
Yoda will probably again skip commenting :p

Last edited:
cool-toxic >> Probably, but it's not approved from in-game ^^;
But comparing real Africa and real India, I can quite imagine that it's much easier to settle in India than in central Africa.
African climate (the real one) is IMO harsher than Indian climate. And because India is of climate 4 and Africa is of climate 6,
I guess that 6 has bigger penalty than 4. But it's just an unapproved idea :p

If it's like that, than the chronology of EU2 climates (from coldest to hottest) would be:
climate 0 - arctic
climate 7 - winter
climate 5 and 8 - mild winter
climate 3 - normal
climate 4 - monsoon
climate 6 - tropical
climate 1 - desert
Dunno where to place climate 2. It's a big mystery. Only developers know :p

***********************************************************************************************************************

Hopefully last climatic update :D

- more snow in Britain, Germany and France (climate 5 is just occasional snow and there was almost none when tested previous settings in game)
- added climate 4 in western Africa (African monsoon area + Canary Islands)
- added climate 6 in northern Africa (buffer area between desert climate of Sahara and Mediterranean climate)
- added climates 4 and 6 to Nile river (hot climate, but with fertile soil from Nile and Oasis)
- added climate 4 to Babylonia (again hot, but fertile)
- added climate 6 on coasts of Arabian peninsula (buffer between ocean and desert)

climate4.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure climate is the only factor for colonization chance? Natives values in province.csv have influence too, for sure. Geography also matters.

Climate 2, 4 and 6 are indeed very mysterious... Time will come for the Truth to be revealed ! :)
Ok, no more teasing...

Anyway, as I wrote earlier, nice work.

Climate codes

Take a look here

CLIMATE CODES

0 Arctic Snow Oct-May
1 Desert No snow
2 Snow now-then Snow now-then
3 Temperate No snow
4 Monsoons No snow
5 Mild Winter Snow Dec-Feb
6 Tropical No snow
7 Strong Winter Snow Nov-Mar
8 Austral Winter Snow Jun-Aug

Take a look here

CLIMATE CODES

0 Arctic Snow Oct-May
1 Desert No snow
3 Temperate No snow
4 Monsoons No snow
6 Tropical No snow

good, ty,
so as an example could you have this ( using vanilla map) as an example

Shwaryz, tirol, berne = 7
lombard, veneto, piemonte , savoie= 5
liguria, emilia, romagna, tuscany = 2
reast of italy = 3

What is percent of these climate codes for a 10 year period?

0 Arctic Snow Oct-May
1 Desert No snow
3 Temperate No snow
4 Monsoons No snow
6 Tropical No snow

because a number 5 is only 40% with my testing

Not exactly the same, especially for 2: "Certainly no snow with this value" and, as you mention, information comes from Johan himself.

Remaining question is why difference between 4 and 6 when there is only mention of tropical in the game, and for attrition, IIRC.

Last edited:
should the weather codes for each province/area be based on what historically and currently happens in this said and NOT on what the description means?

example the alp area have a # 7 instead of a # 5

Taylor >> This map will definitely be in next RU release. It will however take some tome till RU on this map will reach same extend as it had on vanilla.

Toio >> I was trying to set the climates rather by their effects, instead of their description (name). The description (name) is however a good clue for the start when you are not sure by the effects. I was not sure with effects of 4 and 6, and their description lead to a conclusion where suits better 4, and where 6.
So by name the climates in Ptolemy are not correct. For example Babylonia and lower Nile has "monsoon" climate, although there was almost deserts. But Nile and Eufrat-Tigris are places with a good soil and I think they should have effect close to "monsoon".
Alps are "arctic", most of Europe is "strong winter", all placed by the appearance of the snow (these are only climates where snow appears each year), and not by the meaning of name ;)
Did I answer your question, or am I out of the plate? :D

Taylor >> This map will definitely be in next RU release. It will however take some tome till RU on this map will reach same extend as it had on vanilla.

Toio >> I was trying to set the climates rather by their effects, instead of their description (name). The description (name) is however a good clue for the start when you are not sure by the effects. I was not sure with effects of 4 and 6, and their description lead to a conclusion where suits better 4, and where 6.
So by name the climates in Ptolemy are not correct. For example Babylonia and lower Nile has "monsoon" climate, although there was almost deserts. But Nile and Eufrat-Tigris are places with a good soil and I think they should have effect close to "monsoon".
Alps are "arctic", most of Europe is "strong winter", all placed by the appearance of the snow (these are only climates where snow appears each year), and not by the meaning of name ;)
Did I answer your question, or am I out of the plate? :D

Not really, but that was my fault in the question.
I am saying that a #5 regardless of where in the world it happens has only a 40% chance of snow ( i tested 10 games) , while in the alps, we have IRL a 100% chance of snow, so ti would seem that the # 7 is best.

But some one needs to test these numbers to see the yearly results for 10 years. We could then base our climate numbers with these results.

The game question is , IF a #7 gives a 100% snow in the alps, will this cause issues in wars and conquests and rebellions