• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not really, but that was my fault in the question.
I am saying that a #5 regardless of where in the world it happens has only a 40% chance of snow ( i tested 10 games) , while in the alps, we have IRL a 100% chance of snow, so ti would seem that the # 7 is best.

But some one needs to test these numbers to see the yearly results for 10 years. We could then base our climate numbers with these results.

The game question is , IF a #7 gives a 100% snow in the alps, will this cause issues in wars and conquests and rebellions

Oh, I see. And my answer is YES :)
The codes 7 and 0 has a 100% chance that snow will appear there.
Code 7 is used in whole central Europe, code 0 is in Alps and Carpathian mountains.

EDIT:
So every year the Europe in winter will look like this:

Last edited:
Oh, I see. And my answer is YES :)
The codes 7 and 0 has a 100% chance that snow will appear there.
Code 7 is used in whole central Europe, code 0 is in Alps and Carpathian mountains.

EDIT:
So every year the Europe in winter will look like this:

seems very harsh for game usage

IMO a #0 would be only in northern norway, sweden, finaland and russia , iceland

While your #7 I would make a #5 while the alps and Carpathian mts remain at #7

Only thinking in terms of game playability

"7 Strong Winter Snow Nov-Mar"

But not in the flatlands of Northern and Central Germany and not along the river valleys in the south western area. Our Winters are mild, frost is seldom and only short. If snow fells, it lies only for a couple of weeks - except for the mountain areas.

The average winter temperatures in Germany from 1761 to 2008.
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...inter,_30-10.PNG&filetimestamp=20080823143710

Average temperatures in winter from 1761 to 2008:

Oct: +8,3
Nov: +3,3
Dec: -0,1
Jan: -1,2
Feb: 0,0
Mar: +2,9

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeitreihe_der_Lufttemperatur_in_Deutschland#Winter
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klima#Klima_in_Deutschland

Is this a 7?

Last edited:
This map looks truly amazing!! I hope it will be released soon as I Can't wait to play it!! Congratulations on your excellent work and good luck completing the map!!

First of all, Thanks for all your feed backs :)

"7 Strong Winter Snow Nov-Mar"

But not in the flatlands of Northern and Central Germany and not along the river valleys in the south western area. Our Winters are mild, frost is seldom and only short. If snow fells, it lies only for a couple of weeks - except for the mountain areas.

The average winter temperatures in Germany from 1761 to 2008.
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...inter,_30-10.PNG&filetimestamp=20080823143710

Average temperatures in winter from 1761 to 2008:

Oct: +8,3
Nov: +3,3
Dec: -0,1
Jan: -1,2
Feb: 0,0
Mar: +2,9

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeitreihe_der_Lufttemperatur_in_Deutschland#Winter
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klima#Klima_in_Deutschland

Is this a 7?

The snow layout was made according these:
1) map of temperatures in Europe (England is warmer than Germany due warm streams from Atlantic)
2) during the Roman evacuation of the islands there were strong winters in the north of the Britain

From these I got that if in England was heavy snow in that time, the Germany was most probably something similar.
I would more welcome some records or reconstruction from 500 BC - AD 500, because 1750 - 2000 is a bit too late for this and say nothing about the ancient climate :(

EDIT:
About the climate in ancient times I have just little fragments, but if I remember correctly there was even a little Ice Age somewhere around 500 BC or so.

I will welcome some more discussion about the climate in Germany, so I am looking forward your answer :)

seems very harsh for game usage
Only thinking in terms of game playability
Europe with climate 5 looked somehow... ugly :D
But if it will be really problematic, I'll change it to easier climate.
On the other side, it may work as a good prevention against unwanted expansion of Rome into territory of Germanic tribes (even if Rome played by human :D :D :D )

Last edited:
First of all, Thanks for all your feed backs :)

The snow layout was made according these:
1) map of temperatures in Europe (England is warmer than Germany due warm streams from Atlantic)
2) during the Roman evacuation of the islands there were strong winters in the north of the Britain

From these I got that if in England was heavy snow in that time, the Germany was most probably something similar.
I would more welcome some records or reconstruction from 500 BC - AD 500, because 1750 - 2000 is a bit too late for this and say nothing about the ancient climate :(

EDIT:
About the climate in ancient times I have just little fragments, but if I remember correctly there was even a little Ice Age somewhere around 500 BC or so.

I will welcome some more discussion about the climate in Germany, so I am looking forward your answer :)

England lies on the convergence-zone of tropical maritime air and polar air. Germany has maritime and continental air. Continental air is cold but i would bet not as cold as polar air. Germany profits also from the Northern Atlantic Current effects because the winds transport the warmwater energy to us.

I looked around on some german climate pages and i made a roughly clime-timeline.

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Subatlantikum&oldid=40112099

The Nordic Bronce Age had a warm period in Northern Europe until ~600 BC. The clime was warmer than in the mediterranean area. The the clime changed to what is called the "Klimadepression der Bronzezeit" (clime depression of the Bronze Age). This was only a short period because from the middle of the first millenium until the start of the 4th. century, there was the "Optimum der Römerzeit" (optimum of the Roman Age) also called the "Subatlantikum" (the subatlantic warm period). This was followed by the colder but still moderate and mild "Pessimum der Völkerwanderungszeit" (pessimism of the migration period).

... - ~600 BC warm period
~600 BC - ~500 BC cold period
~500 BC - ~300 AD warm period
~300 - ~600/800 cold period but still moderate and mild clime
~600/800 - ~1200 warm period
~1200 - ~1500 cold period but still moderate and mild clime
~1550 - ~1850 little ice age

Last edited:
The warm period weather patterns were most likely similar to those today.

Although with much less urbanisation and agriculture there were less "heat sinks", so winters could have been a little more snowy, although by far not as bad as they were during the so-called "Little Iceage" ...

So for your mod, I'd model a climate similar to today

just asking since i am thinking to dll this map; has anyone played yet? any instalation errors or likes as such?

from the posts it sounds that the map has been finalized, only the climates to be eventually modded further?(wich i could do by myself if needed)

btw i am in favour of keeping the exact same climates as in the original eu2 map where available(provinces).

Thanks to all for your comments :)
Although I was not answering on every post immediately, I was reading them.

So the climate will be reworked a bit. From the lowlands will disappear the snow or it'll be very limited (to climate 5 at least). Mountainous regions will keep their colder climate however. It's strange to see situations when for example lowlands of Bohemia are under snow while Carpathian range is clear from it (because both are of climate 5 and Carpathia didn't have "luck" for snow this year). Alps will on some places remain probably as "arctic".

beregic >> I see nobody else answered it yet. The PWM releases are supposed to be primary for the modders that want use this map in their own mods. Although the releases are playable, it's not supposed to be a regular full-scale mod. There is only a Fantasia scenario. Mods like Roma Universalis and Odyssean World Scenario are full-scale mods that are converting to this map, so I'll recommend to track these for the full-scale playable mods ;)

rusek >> The migration of RU to PWM is in the process. But it'll take some time to finish it. I am at least releasing the partial results of the conversion over time. I looked quickly on the Historia Antiqua. It's like see a translation of Roma Universalis into Polish :D
Good luck with it ;) And if you want use PWM in it, feel free for it ;)

Ritterkreuz >> I'll PM you today about possible cooperation with Roma Universalis mod, ok? :)

@KaRei: Not exactly. I use RU gfx, but create most shields and all events, scenarios and leaders by myself. However new idea RU (start in 335 instead of 218) and premise of HA are similar.
And thanks for Your permission to use PWM. If I have enough time, I move HA to PWM :).
Cheers

PS: I don't speak English very well... sorry :rolleyes:

Climate

Legend:
climate 0 - arctic
climate 7 - strong winter
climate 5 - mild winter
climate 3 - normal
climate 4 - monsoon
climate 6 - tropical
climate 1 - desert

climate.jpg

I began finally working on better positioning of city/army/port sprites.
British Islands (eg. first 65 provs) are done in recently released 0.a.4 version.

There are several sprite types, for which the position is calculated by game engine, and can be changed only by changing of position of another sprite.

- CoT is calculated from city sprite position and placed in SE direction
- siege cannon is calculated from army sprite position
- goods icon in economy view takes same position as manufactory sprite
- natives sprite - I did not find yet from which sprite the position is calculated

I'll have to rework the positions of manufactories, because some goods icons are now in very strange locations and can be hard to guess to which province they belong.
Same with natives sprites, but there I must find first from which sprite their position is calculated.

I am using MichaelM's Position Editor which is making the work much easier, although there are still places for improvement. The editor don't show for example the shading layer of map, only the border and coastal lines. So you don't see the province labels and if you want to place the sprite to not overlap the label, you may have a little problem.
Also the sprites themselves are shown just as dots of various colors, so you don't know how the positioning will look like in the end, until you launch the game. If you want use this editor also for placing terrain decorations (tree, oasis, mountain, etc. sprite) you may easily end with overcrowded province.
Sometimes the editor has problems to select some province and from unknown reason is showing sometimes ID -1 (Terra Incognita). In the 65 provinces I made for now I found 2 that were absolutely not selectable and for which I could only write down the coordinates and fill the values in the province.csv manually.
Despite the problems, the editor is a great help. Much better then searching the coordinates by yourself and writing everything manually.
So thanks, MichaelM ;)

Hmm... You hide hardcoded prov 399, but there is no province to hide emperor. If I put him on 399, then all catholic countries have casus belli against him. You should create another hide province to put there emperor (ex. as TAG U00).

I still trying move HA to PWM. Already I have done over 20 countries, and I dont have any problems. Just minor errors, like city of Crete moved to Mare Creticum zone.

Last edited:
Yay! Somehow I didn't notice your post.

Yes, 399 is hidden from playable area so nobody get CB against owner of "Rome".
And to hide an Emperor of HRE try to set REB as Emperor. It works perfectly and you don't need place anybody anywhere ;)

EDIT:
I am slowly correcting the displaced sprites ;)

Last edited: